One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-03 02:29:20

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

The Rift and this end condition are unbelievably toxic

Once it's down to two families everyone just goes into pure slaughter mode. They just want to reset the rift because they're BORED of the same old towns, BORED of the same families. "Might as well make it reset now so I can actually play again". That's exactly how everyone thinks when it comes down to the end. Why play when it'll reset soon? Let's just kill one family out already.

I just played a life in the German family and all my kids wanted to do was kill our own family so the arc will end. I had to kill 2 of them because they tried killing us first. It's so goddamn frustrating and a complete toxic mindset. I JUST WANT TO PLAY. I DON'T WANT TO FIGHT. I don't want to have to kill my own kids because they don't want to play in this arc anymore.

This end condition is TOXIC. It's not fun at ALL to play in the last few hours of an arc because it's impossible to just "play".

The Rift resetting every single day is a HORRIBLE thing too. Nothing matters. No one cares about anything. It's all going to be reset anyways. The rift itself is just so flawed I don't understand how you don't see it. People just get BORED. Same towns, same family, same roads. Boring boring boring. So people kill to spice shit up. It's fucking the worst.

We need a new end condition at the VERY least. I have no idea what would work. I just know this one is the worse than all the other ones.

Please account for the fact that at least 1/3 of your player base will kill everyone to reset the arc just because they can, and not because they lack anything.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#2 2019-09-03 03:06:18

Coconut Fruit

Re: The Rift and this end condition are unbelievably toxic

They didn't succeed so why are you complaining. It's not end condition toxic but people are. People want reset because many of them enjoy playing in past engine pump towns more, in towns where you accutaly need to fight for surviving. To me the most enjoyable is when everyone in town is working, sadly many people stop working once they have food and engine pump

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#3 2019-09-03 04:09:21

coriander

I am a generally peaceful player and all and I would never instigate war, but given the repetitive nature of gameplay at just two families, I have honestly come to welcome any kind of conflict or RP bullshit that transpires.

#4 2019-09-03 06:24:46

Dodge

End condition is not really the issue, problem is we go from Eve start to engine in less than a day so after that there is not much to do until the ressources start lacking which only comes a lot later.

So there is a big period where everything is done and there is plenty of ressources, so no challenge and nothing to do.

If it would take 3-4 days to reach the top of the tech tree and remain challenging there wouldn't be these issues trying to reset the server.

And ideally even at the top it remains interesting so people dont murder each other by boredom.

#5 2019-09-03 07:05:25

CatX

Dodge wrote:

If it would take 3-4 days to reach the top of the tech tree and remain challenging there wouldn't be these issues trying to reset the server.

And ideally even at the top it remains interesting so people dont murder each other by boredom.

Perhaps the end of the tech tree should be computers with Internet where we could play multiplayer pvp games and hold tournaments smile

#6 2019-09-03 09:49:36

RodneyC86

Inb4 complaints of 40 minute old men who stays at home all day in front of the PC and his 55 minute old mom yelling at him to get a job

#7 2019-09-03 17:23:12

DestinyCall

CatX wrote:
Dodge wrote:

Perhaps the end of the tech tree should be computers with Internet where we could play multiplayer pvp games and hold tournaments smile

Build Computer ->  Play OHOL ->  Become EVE inside the game inside the game inside the game inside the game

#8 2019-09-03 18:35:34

denriguez

DestinyCall wrote:

Build Computer ->  Play OHOL ->  Become EVE inside the game inside the game inside the game inside the game

I mean, we're basically playing a super low-fi ancestor sim:

In 2003, philosopher Nick Bostrom proposed a trilemma that he called "the simulation argument". Despite the name, Bostrom's "simulation argument" does not directly argue that we live in a simulation; instead, Bostrom's trilemma argues that one of three unlikely-seeming propositions is almost certainly true:

1. "The fraction of human-level civilizations that reach a posthuman stage (that is, one capable of running high-fidelity ancestor simulations) is very close to zero", or

2. "The fraction of posthuman civilizations that are interested in running simulations of their evolutionary history, or variations thereof, is very close to zero", or

3. "The fraction of all people with our kind of experiences that are living in a simulation is very close to one"

The trilemma points out that a technologically mature "posthuman" civilization would have enormous computing power; if even a tiny percentage of them were to run "ancestor simulations" (that is, "high-fidelity" simulations of ancestral life that would be indistinguishable from reality to the simulated ancestor), the total number of simulated ancestors, or "Sims", in the universe (or multiverse, if it exists) would greatly exceed the total number of actual ancestors.

Bostrom goes on to use a type of anthropic reasoning to claim that, if the third proposition is the one of those three that is true, and almost all people with our kind of experiences live in simulations, then we are almost certainly living in a simulation.

Last edited by denriguez (2019-09-03 18:36:05)

#9 2019-09-04 06:55:18

pein

i mean i told jason that any failure condition which motivates destruction, will be bad
at lest apoc needs you to do soemthing for it
fuckign brainiacs tried to kill more people to get to 35 families, like killing people multiple times will motivate anyone to play again as eve
whe nthey midnlessly slaughter every person in every family
there should be some oddly specific config to build, like put some towers in 9 poistions on the map
when people think the arc is boring, they would trigger apoc, it would be a combination of work and travel a bit, or like build a shrine for apoc and when you got like 12 around the world, it triggers
it's kind of pointless anyway, when the apoc happens, tree cutters and bear poking nabs start their work again

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#10 2019-09-04 22:58:36

breezeknight

what a depressing game this became sad

i am so happy, i don't play anymore
since months i come here & look if there is something that would make me want to come back playing
but all i see is more murder, more grind, useless waste of time with the dubious reward of sadness, rage & frustration sad

- - -

#11 2019-09-04 23:04:13

Angel Carrillo

I got an idea! Try building, to maybe make yourself happier.

#12 2019-09-05 11:55:35

Psykout

Angel Carrillo wrote:

Exacerbates iron usage, buildings have very little pros for the cons (insulation benefits do not outweigh loss of space enough or resources used). Gathering boards is also a less approachable task because of limited trees and hungry work. Hungry work is great for current state of the game, but its saddening that it had to be added because of the amount of people ruining the experience for others.

Curse changes were welcoming, but I don't think it curbs behavior in the right way. In my opinion it should have been easier to isolate someone to donkey town, and just make the stay less intense. When a child does something they know they shouldn't but decide to anyways, you give them a timeout for a short amount of time. You don't lock them in a room for hours on end, or just send them to play with a different group of kids. Even just giving a griefer a 30min~1hr timeout will most likely see them logging off for a time, or better curb the behavior. Immediate repercussions are more effective at stopping behavior. Giving them subtle warnings, a slight slap on the wrist, and then a significant "prison" sentence does not enforce anything. They keep at it, thinking they can keep getting away with it, then are hit hard, and build resentment and develop a chip on their shoulder.

I have attempted many times to get back into the game, but the ratio of kind, productive and selfless players versus mischievous, self centered, drama fueled players is way off compared to what it was many moons ago. Considering how much cooperation and teamwork is necessary to achieve anything in the game, the dark ages (property, Eve griefing etc) did a lot of damage to the game. The silent hard workers were replaced by a different set of players with different goals. It's incredibly hard to quantify this based of pure numbers, but you can feel it. It will be a hard thing to get back, if its even possible.

#13 2019-09-06 09:15:40

breezeknight

Angel Carrillo wrote:

i have a better idea, i build in Cities:Skylines instead, cause the community of CS is not an apologetic, murderous & insulting bunch lol

Psykout wrote:

I have attempted many times to get back into the game, but the ratio of kind, productive and selfless players versus mischievous, self centered, drama fueled players is way off compared to what it was many moons ago. Considering how much cooperation and teamwork is necessary to achieve anything in the game, the dark ages (property, Eve griefing etc) did a lot of damage to the game. The silent hard workers were replaced by a different set of players with different goals. It's incredibly hard to quantify this based of pure numbers, but you can feel it. It will be a hard thing to get back, if its even possible.

i am not even trying anymore to play, cause there is just NOTHING in the game which would tell me that i with my need for a peaceful cooperative way to play am welcome & will be rewarded in any way by the gameplay itself & not forced to deal with some prick on a spree in his pause between playing Fortnite, CS:GO, League of Legends or Rust

all that happens when the dev is not fond of constructive gameplay but thinks that destructive one will bring forth lots of players who all of sudden will cooperate to "build civilization & parent" lol

& where is the goddam baby sling for starters ?

- - -

#14 2019-09-06 17:29:46

DestinyCall

breezeknight wrote:

I have attempted many times to get back into the game, but the ratio of kind, productive and selfless players versus mischievous, self centered, drama fueled players is way off compared to what it was many moons ago.

If you are looking for a nicer community, you might check out Community Crucible modded server.   It is a small community, but focused on peaceful village making and cooperation.   Also, lots of new crafting recipes and large biomes.   Fun place to explore and build.

Sadly, we still don't have baby slings - it is apparently a very challenging problem to solve due to issues with the game engine handling two "actors" on the same tile.   It creates ... unspeakable things ... when you try to attach a baby to an adult.  @.@

#15 2019-09-06 18:48:14

jasonrohrer
Administrator

What I'm hearing in the OP are two conflicting things:

1.  Rift is boring.  Same families, same roads, same towns!

2.  Rift is bad because nothing lasts!  Everything is pointless because it will be destroyed in 2-3 days.

How do you want stuff to last AND not encounter the same stuff repeatedly?  If stuff lasts, then it will be there, and you will encounter it. 

If you want the game to be constantly fresh, then everything must be lost so that there's room for new stuff all the time.

For the past 16 months or so, the Eve spiral spread you out further and further, and everything was lost in about 24 hours.  That kept the game "fresh" because families were coming and going constantly.  You'd come back tomorrow, and all the reachable areas in the game were totally different than what you saw yesterday.  But anything you built yesterday was lost forever.  No long-term roads, etc.

Of course, players complained about this.  Nothing lasts!  What's the point?

Now that you have some permanence for 2-3 days, you complain that it's boring.  I'm sure you're right about this (it probably is boring).  But this has nothing to do with the rift, and everything to do with deeper issues in the game.

#16 2019-09-06 20:01:36

Booklat1

But Jason, that's a pretty reducionistic way of seeing this post.

Resets are not the only way to keep lives feeling fresh, in fact i'd argue that your idea that it's either "nothing lasts but stuff is new" in opposiition to "we only have the same towns so its boring" is misunderstanding some other problem the game has. Metas get stale and incredibly so to the point resets few even more pointless since it'll be rebuilding towns through the same steps all over again

You wouldn't know this because this obly really happens in weeks you're on vacation but building megacities is not just out of desire for permanence, but it's the result of lack of content/challenges for us to overcome.

The rift should continue, you are right that we absolutely need spacial limits to our progress, but don't disregard complaints about boredom with "well, what you want is impossible". Towns can have variation that doesn't include literally letting them die so we build others. You've confined us in the rift, at least make our lives interesting inside it

Last edited by Booklat1 (2019-09-06 20:02:45)

#17 2019-09-06 20:04:57

arkajalka

Maybe you could tweak the rng of the  rift box that is generated in each biome insome way so each arc would be more unique. Increase the "object" spawn in big bundless and at the same time lower some so we could get more variety in what the arc looks like.

Lets say one arc round would be insanely clay/reed abundant with just few stones. This would encourage people to build towns out of adobe instead of stone.

Maybe the fauna could be affected too. This would require tho that other animals than sheep produce feces as its main component of compost/soil which is kinda required for any long lasting civ.

Other idea to bring more meaning to the "endgame" state would be to bring somekinda monuments/relics that are really hard to make, require tons of resources and teamwork to build. Long lasting problem in this game has been that civilizations reach their pike point really fast. After that building and constructing things seems kinda pointless and its just sustaining the current state ez living from already built stuff, theres ton of everything all that is left to be done is to sort it out and clean up mess after others. The town simply doesnt need more berry fields, houses, tools, clothes, you name it.

With super hard object sink monuments/relics you would solve two issues at same. Clear the town out of mass produced clutter and bring more meaning to your life. You actually have some goal rather than just hanging out in the berry field and munching up or spamming some rando nonsense.

Items that usually are overly produced are clothes, sheepskins XD, housings, crappy zigzaggy roads, branches, sharpstones, plates, bowls etc. Towns are literally littered with all kinda rando crap that the past generations have made without the town  having any need for it. People just rather spend their lives producing something eventhough its not needed or go hardcore mode and swing the swords, stabby stabbys and shooty shoots. It kinda gets too boring to just chill at the bakery/farm and munch a different yum every now and then.

Few ideas:

Stone statues = stone sink(sharpies, huge stone blocks, flints etc), less unnecessary houses, clutter and more culture
statue

Zipline = turn clothes sheepskins into zipline rope that can be combined into a maps edge to edge zipline. YIII
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inzST4EDxgc

Bonfire = stack huge amounts of branches and random wooden objects to huge pile and lit it up
firfirfire

Highway = 4x100 road paving which turns into 4 lane road with high speed
highwaychile

Botanical garden = a garden constructed in certain way with every kinda of plant strain there is-->everlasting nonuseable but eye candy.  Maybe you could pick seed/sapling from plants 1 piece once an hour(this would solve many grieffing issues with plants). 
gggggarden

Grave yard = Improvements to burying people, mausoleums, mass graves, catacombs etc...
gravyard

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#18 2019-09-07 00:11:00

Lava

This would be solved if you allow tech for us to escape the rift.

#19 2019-09-07 00:13:33

Anhigen

arkajalka wrote:

Few ideas:

[...]

These aren't solutions tho--this is content. And more content is coming! These are all things that would be in the purview of a game creator already, I mean, he's built this world so far.

As someone who's designed games, feedback like this takes a certain patience because you have to see the post for it's enthusiasm despite it's lack of critique. Jason isn't wrong, there are underlying faulty structures to look at, and the answer isn't always something new. For instance, most of the job cycles are boring. People would bake if baking was fun. People would be happy to farm if farming is fun. People grief, because... griefing is fun. And those players, as much as they are a nuisance to the rest of us, are trying, like the rest of us, to have fun in a game that has limited options. It's tricky, no doubt, to provide just the right amount of toys--and right kind--so that we are both satisfied with the mechanisms in the game, like a challenging and rewarding tech tree or an engaging micro game like farming, but is open enough to allow surprising and interesting emergent game play.

But before we get MORE of everything we should have GREAT of something and right now, we're playing through the growing pains--it seems--of a game hammering out those specifics before exponentially growing.

arkajalka wrote:

Lets say one arc round would be insanely clay/reed abundant with just few stones.

This sounds fun, not going to lie. A bit like how swapping the tiles, and their numbers, up in Settlers of Catan keeps the game fresh. Also like Catan players, we seem hell bent on making the longest road, lol. And monuments from the previous arc becoming ancient relics in the next arc sounds fun too! But I'm sure stuff like this is bubbling away, somewhere, already.

To the point though yeah, removing the novelty that's created from an endlessly sprawling eve cycle--full disclosure, I never played during that epidemic--has probably highlighted how some of the techs aren't all that engaging. While time is a finite resource in this game, I mean, we only have that one hour, lol, it's probably not cool that most things are just set against it with no playable mechanics in sight outside of clicking on it to interact. The milkweed plant stands out tho. It's an object that takes time but also has "timing" and your interactions with it change greatly based off of a short cycle compared to how long most things take. (Smithing is like this too, and oddly, so is removing a berry bush. Which happens to have a REALLY HIGH SKILLED timing threshold out of nowhere! That shovel damn well better be heckin ready, you newb!)

I wish there was more play around rewarding my growing knowledge of this mini world. As it stands, there's not a lot of difference, in my play, between tasks that I already know how to complete and ones I have to wiki while in game. Which is nice, while learning the game, but without new things to learn, I can totally sympathize with how stale and "repetitive" that might feel for more veteran players who don't have the novelty of this huge tech tree to explore--what was the last job that was completely new to you? There are some basic strategies and techniques to learn with the current game/meta (for the life of me I can't understand why people plant milkweed like they do carrots) that make the game feel "solved" but it's so dope that you can pass on novel techniques to other players just by carrying them around. I just learned a new milkweed practice--laying your seeds out before you till--which solves the problem of players not knowing what you're going to use this space for. Or that you probably need more milkweed grown as they're currently just in their seed form. Like that is so cool. That's not a fix, that's an adaptation and I'm thankful I had some one show me this superior milkweed method.

That kind of "method" based play is also passed down in the sustainability of resources but considering that most resources are on time cycles larger than a single player's life your interaction with that decision making is fairly limited. You can literally watch the iron change color, or the milkweed flower, and those acts engage you more in what you're doing. I mean, baking is all about the mindless prep you do before those five seconds of magic where you fire everything in one shot like the boss ass baker you were BORN TO BE! Those large resource timers are cool in that they make the world immersive, immersive in the sense that while I'm playing with silly animated characters I do feel weight and severity with my resource management choices, but considering how much we farm berries, and then pick them, in this game... the act could use a little more thought/knowledge, out of me as the player, than where to stand so my character moves the least amount so that I may finish this boring chore and fuck off from doing this shitty task. Like berry play should have levels to it, where yeah you can pick that bush, but you should do it like the way your old g-ma is doing if you want the most [quantity/sustainable/rewarding/special] berries. And your gma should kick around and show you instead of just getting naked and choosing a spot where to die. Just kidding, they're not choosing crap. They're going to find the most inconvenient spot to rp their twilight years so that you are forced to remember them as you clean up their shitty ass bones and cart them off to the most nearest patch of undesirable land you can find. As is the law of the rift. So say we all.

I'm sure berry pruning--to produce bushes that now multiply their berries in denominations that better work with sheep feed--and other engaging play is on it's way, and that the current rift won't last forever, but until then, unless we make up fun tasks for ourselves--like the roads joining all four corners of the map--we're not going to have the most meaningful arcs. There will be a day when you want to high five someone because they timed something with your job and the two of your coordinated perfectly (through kismet or skill), but our objects and food persisting the entire length of these arcs, irl days, can leave our time in the rift a little less than impactful.

EDIT*** (To provide an example)

As the example making a backpack in a pretty standard village is:

FIND the snare; FIND a rabbit hole with a family (This is a resource management decision and will be the only choice I make. Baked into this part of the task is where rabbit holes are found and how to get back home/keep myself alive in the "wild" which is made all the trickier because I don't have a BP--this can be fun!); SET a trap; WAIT for rabbit to die; COLLECT the rabbit; FIND a flint chip (again, in a village, this isn't even a thing and if you're a making a flint post Eve-window you are literally littering--reduce reuse recycle); SKIN the rabbit; REPEAT steps 2 through 7 (omitting 6 if you don't lose your chip) until you've collected enough furs; SEW together a backpack following the pop up recipe (with the ball and thread that your village has--see snare and flint chip annotations). Done. Add more steps if you don't have a snare, flint chip, or needle and thread.

So... what if the rabbit can escape it's snare? (timing) What if there is a wasteful way of making a backpack? (method/practice) What if the task could be done solo, but the best strat was done as a duo or trio? (Player interaction)

The rabbits could be plentiful but centralized leading to fights over furs until trade develops but that doesn't change the steps within the task, just the play around it. The task itself is still boring. Though fighting for turf isn't. Like it won't matter if we get reed backpacks, or any number of cool things like statues or submarines, when the steps themselves are mindless/non-engaging within our expected, and or typical, play. After the eve window its not only likely that you'll be born into an established village, but as the arcs get longer our whole play experience is likely to be in those established villages and not at the beginning or end phases of an arc.  ***

Last edited by Anhigen (2019-09-07 00:41:34)

Everyone talks about how great milk is, no one talks about how many bb cows you must let die...

#20 2019-09-07 03:51:30

Jk Howling

Lava wrote:

This would be solved if you allow tech for us to escape the rift.

bUt ThEn I wOUlDn'T kNoW hOw LoNG u cAn LaSt!!1!

-Has ascended to better games-

#21 2019-09-07 08:51:12

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

What I'm hearing in the OP are two conflicting things:

1.  Rift is boring.  Same families, same roads, same towns!

2.  Rift is bad because nothing lasts!  Everything is pointless because it will be destroyed in 2-3 days.

How do you want stuff to last AND not encounter the same stuff repeatedly?  If stuff lasts, then it will be there, and you will encounter it. 

If you want the game to be constantly fresh, then everything must be lost so that there's room for new stuff all the time.

For the past 16 months or so, the Eve spiral spread you out further and further, and everything was lost in about 24 hours.  That kept the game "fresh" because families were coming and going constantly.  You'd come back tomorrow, and all the reachable areas in the game were totally different than what you saw yesterday.  But anything you built yesterday was lost forever.  No long-term roads, etc.

Of course, players complained about this.  Nothing lasts!  What's the point?

Now that you have some permanence for 2-3 days, you complain that it's boring.  I'm sure you're right about this (it probably is boring).  But this has nothing to do with the rift, and everything to do with deeper issues in the game.

1. I scanned DiscardedSlinky's posts and didn't find him complaining that life before the rift was boring because of having to rebuild towns.  I did find him/her saying things like this though:

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

Alright I know tensions are high and everyone's upset, myself included. I get why you're on the defensive Jason, but you have to understand our point of view. We've all played a certain way forever and we love it. Now it's being taken away.

I understand your goals. You want us to work together. You're being very naive about your player base though. There are many griefers and very few ways to deal with them, especially when we can't curse half of them. They're just reborn and they do it again.

So, I don't think it's appropriate for you to treat those positions like they were coming from the same person/group of people Jason.

2. Meaninglessness is probably better than boredom.  People can often succeed in making their own meaning.  Making their own entertainment, well, people hire others for that more often than they hire people to create meaning for them.  Meaning may also end up more personal than interest, comparatively speaking.

3. Note that the post starts as follows

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

Once it's down to two families everyone just goes into pure slaughter mode.

.  Consequently, a deeper issue with the game than the rift consists in the encouragement of/making easy for people to fight in a game that's supposed to be about parenting and civilization *building* (the whole move to war swords continues to be a mistake).  There's only so much building and parenting in this game.  The game hasn't expanded in either respect for quite some time.  Really, it's SHRUNK in the building respect.  Here, the Rift concept itself presents a problem since it implies more civilization maintainence and LESS civilization building.  It also ends up that less parenting ends up needed if a town only needs maintainence and doesn't really need building.  So, really, the game has shrunk in terms of both parenting and civilization building for a while now.  The whole finite map also implies less civilization building as possible, and parenting also, since that can't really happen if parents end up worried about dying themselves.  So, yes, depper issues exist here.  But also, the rift idea itself was and continues to be flawed.  The game also hasn't had more or less ways of disciplining children other than *deadly* weapons and curses for a while now.

4. You said this Jason:

jasonrohrer wrote:

For the past 16 months or so, the Eve spiral spread you out further and further, and everything was lost in about 24 hours.  That kept the game "fresh" because families were coming and going constantly.

There existed some time where new things got added to the game.  That kept the game fresh.  The change in the water situation kept the game fresh.  Also, I remember playing on server12 where for a while almost no town got lost.  What kept things fresh?  New towns and people being able to get reborn into the same spot, so that if they found another town, they could build a road to it.  For a while there also existed more complex puzzles with value, like trapping mosquitoes (which became rather useless after the temperature overhaul), or managing temperature along a desert edge.  Jason, remember, the reason that things got lost wasn't because towns just disappeared after a certain time.  It was because towns wouldn't get seen by players.  If people could have gotten reborn into the same spot along with an Eve-sprial, that would have enabled towns to stick around.  And believe it or not for a while there was even one exception to the rule of towns dying on a *main server*, not a small server.  The legendary city of San-Cal stuck around for a while until the big server change, and I heard it existed on the old server2.  It did exist, I think, for a few months, and only died out because of the big server change.  The people playing there were vets mostly, I think, and they had mechanisms to find old city spots I believe.  Griefers would rather have a bigger target than a small one in general (I did happen upon an annoying exception), so they would just avoid playing on server2 I think.

An ever-expanding Eve spiral with people having the ability to get reborn into the same spot if they say live to 60, I think, has more promise to prevent griefing while also not necessarily ending up with people feeling like 'everything in meaningless'.  And it would still be that for one hour you could live one full life.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#22 2019-09-10 02:11:42

ollj

No shit sherloc, stating the obvious for a month now.

I literally have had more fun watching educating caretakers telling literally retarded people to stop their bad habbits for years, a lot more than watching jason insisting on his rift bullshit for months.

theres ignorance, theres incompetence, and then theres incapability due to brain damage.
i have yetr to meet a brain damaged coder, and jason is not absolutely ignorant, so the remaining assertion is just incompetence in terms of balancing.

Last edited by ollj (2019-09-10 02:12:07)

#23 2019-09-10 03:12:02

seth

It occurs to me the forum is the perfect balance to the game. If you love the game, you can play the game, if you're angry at the game, you can vent on the forum.  It's a perfect emotional ecosystem.

#24 2019-09-10 07:35:57

DestinyCall

In my experience, people also do the reverse ... some people vent in the game by griefing towns and other people share their love of the game by posting about wonderful lives and their positive experiences.

Board footer