One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-10 22:15:38

StrongForce

Wallshelfs the best thing we didn't know we needed

Nice addition
Makes the decision of what building material to use matter more.
We got:
the unbreakable (stone)
the usefull (shelf)
And the should be cheap and easy but isn't one(pine)
wink

Even in the promo video
Pine is starter house

Please pretty pretty please

Last edited by StrongForce (2019-11-10 22:18:07)

Baby dance!!

#2 2019-11-11 07:03:28

miskas

Re: Wallshelfs the best thing we didn't know we needed

cheap and easy you say?

Pine Panel:

Remove Rope all together from it.

Fence Kit+Fence Kit=Wooden Frame  ( if you don't like that just an extra transition using adze)

Wooden frame + Pine Needles = Pine panel
( if you don't like that just make it pine needles * 2 they can be used as rope
https://www.google.com/search?q=pine+ne … e&ie=UTF-8 )

Pine Door:
On this, Rework will be needed.

the idea is to work as a curtain.
It doesn't block pathways, cant be closed. People pass through it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=bug+cur … LQtwcXxgbM:

https://www.google.com/search?q=%CE%BA% … W0M:&vet=1

I would add pine needles on a maple branch for this

Pine floor:
pine needles on floor stakes would do
I have personally witnessed this. we have pines. Lay pines on the soil, Nothing grows back and Soil becomes tough like a floor

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht … mrc&uact=8

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht … mrc&uact=8

Lastly using an axe on a pine wall/door is hard work and produce eaqual amount of kindling.

---And so you have It----

A cheap, renuable building with no pathblocking that would have less insulation of course. 

Last edited by miskas (2019-11-11 07:04:40)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#3 2019-11-11 07:09:28

Thaulos

It would be cool to have a version of pine house that didn't require steel tools.

#4 2019-11-11 07:21:33

miskas

Thaulos wrote:

It would be cool to have a version of pine house that didn't require steel tools.

Steel tools are the first tool to build a stationary camp, Shovel.

Why not a house as well?
An adze is extremely cheap as well. 101 estimated uses for half Iron.

Last edited by miskas (2019-11-11 07:22:53)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#5 2019-11-11 10:59:51

Kaveh

Having a cheap pine house would be dope. Perhaps it'd decay faster? So adobe and especially stone houses would be more durable, but more costly.

#6 2019-11-11 16:32:16

Amon

You don't need it to decay, once you choose you want a better material, just chop it into kindling.

Especially since that would cause the building to be a resource trap or a minigame to time it just right to chop it into kindling. Effort most people won't want to dedicate.

Last edited by Amon (2019-11-11 16:33:51)

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#7 2019-11-11 17:40:20

DestinyCall

Kaveh wrote:

Having a cheap pine house would be dope. Perhaps it'd decay faster? So adobe and especially stone houses would be more durable, but more costly.

If you want to make pine walls a cheap early building, that should be replaced by better options later, I think it would make more sense to chance the insulation property of the different wall materials.

So if you build a house out of pine, it will provide a different level of protection compared with adobe or stone.  Like if you wear rabbit clothing, you are warmer than if you wear a straw hat and reed skirt.

#8 2019-11-11 17:58:18

jasonrohrer
Administrator

It also could be permanence.

IRL, pine walls don't last very long.

So in a primitive camp, if you could quickly throw up a shelter, that would reduce your food drain dramatically, but that shelter wouldn't last long.

My problem is realism.... pine panels are a PITA to make (I've made them in real life).  They do require 4 branches and quite a bit of cordage.  Though I guess an adobe wall would take more time.  But it's not a matter of time, so much as steps.  In an adobe wall, there's only one step (and it's repeated a lot).  With the pine wall, there are a bunch of different steps.

I suppose that I could abbreviate that a bit (like pine needles plus a tied shaft---use your imagination that you split the shaft into 4 parts and made that bit of rope go a long way).

HOWEVER, you still need one rope per wall and at least one branch per wall.  Both are hard to come by in early camps, so I don't see that going away.  Building a small primitive shelter, even with this reduced requirement, would require 12 branches and 12 rope.  Nobody's going to do that, right?

And then we get down to REALLY abstract things, like a cheap pine wall kit that can build 10 walls or whatever.  But there are very few examples of things in the game that work like that (tracks and property fences), and I'm not itching to add more.

#9 2019-11-11 18:24:39

Twisted

jasonrohrer wrote:

My problem is realism.... pine panels are a PITA to make (I've made them in real life).  They do require 4 branches and quite a bit of cordage.

I like the realism in the game, but I also think walls (pine & stone) are an inconsistent example of that. On one hand you have pine walls, which are hard to make just like in real life. On the other hand, you have stone walls, which are super simple to make - they don't even require mortar, you just toss a big rock on some stakes. Very unrealistic.

IMO Adobe Walls are fine, Stone Walls are super simplified, and Pine Walls are a bit too realistic.

#10 2019-11-11 18:37:30

Kaveh

It would have to be cheaper than adobe wall at 2 clay + 2 reed/wheat, which is tough.
Good thing is that clay, reed and wheat can be used for other things, which increases their value. Can't just use it all on a house if other things are needed first.

Pine needles aren't used for anything else, so that's a good start.
What if you'd build on top of property fences? So the property fence is there, then add another branch (curved or yew or somethin, or even just an extra click w/ the property fence twigs to build it higher) and then pine needles to close it for insulation? It could all fall apart the same way property fences do. Edit: Or when it falls apart it turns back into a property fence that needs to be fixed, as if the needles decayed but the base is still there.

Last edited by Kaveh (2019-11-11 18:42:26)

#11 2019-11-11 19:10:30

wondible

jasonrohrer wrote:

My problem is realism.... pine panels are a PITA to make (I've made them in real life).  They do require 4 branches and quite a bit of cordage.  Though I guess an adobe wall would take more time.  But it's not a matter of time, so much as steps.

Steps are somewhat of a concern, but I think material cost is the bigger concern. If the materials were cheap  it shouldn't be that much worse than, say, baking pies. However both branches and milkweed are in high demand.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#12 2019-11-11 19:36:31

Guppy

What if the rope doesnt get "used" when making the walls, or only has a 10% chance to get used, and to compensate for it it takes up a tool slot?
Or make it into something similar to needle&thread that has multiple uses

#13 2019-11-11 22:26:07

StrongForce

The branches can be gathered rather easy since they regrow.
The farming of milkweed is a real pain tho

If we could get four milkweed stalks per farmland
Pinewalls would gain popularity I'm sure.

Baby dance!!

#14 2019-11-12 00:33:43

antking:]#

If we made stone walls more complex, such as making them need mortar:

bowl of sand + bowl of lime + bowl of crushed stone + bowl of water = bowl of mortar

cut stones + all stake diractions = laid out stone wall

bowl of mortar + laid out stone wall = stone wall and stakes

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#15 2019-11-12 20:15:19

Saolin

I mean they take away some of the dis-incentive to construct buildings, anyway. It doesn't increase storage, but you can still have a wall without also decreasing storage.

#16 2019-11-13 03:38:49

lilo

I like this shelf addition, i hope that we are getting new things to build, i would enjoy having a house with table, chairs, bed, sofa, baby cribs(those ones could even be funtional), or even decorative items like curtains, rugs, vases, tapestry etc.

About the walls i think its very unrealistic that you cant build wooden walls easily, when in real life it would be the easier material. If you want to keep the pine walls as something hard to build for realistic reasons, you could add a diferent type of wood wall easier to make: for example done with the same boards that you can use to make the wooden floors. It makes no sense that you can make wood floors and doors for cheap but not walls.

Also you could add a new material construction like brick walls, that way the wood frame you now use for the pine walls would have another use(to make bricks ading clay to it) and then build the house with the bricks making it durable without having to use plaster.

Last edited by lilo (2019-11-13 03:42:01)

#17 2019-11-13 16:51:07

Saolin

I Found two fairly minor issues with at least the slotted wall boxes yesterday.

1. Graphical issue:  doors open "inside of" the wall slot box - when opened and intersecting a wall slot box tile, most of the door disappears behind the slot box. Looks really weird, but that's all.

2. Wall boxes are accessible from both sides of a wall. Yesterday I was able to stand outside the kitchen walls and interact with objects in slot boxes on the inside walls. So if you wanted to have a locked room, it would seem players would still be able to access any items kept in wall slot boxes on the inside of the walls from outside.

I imagine the regular wall boxes function the same way.

#18 2019-11-13 17:18:30

DestinyCall

Saolin wrote:

2. Wall boxes are accessible from both sides of a wall.

I think of it as a feature, rather than a bug.   You can build wall boxes to transfer food and supplies through the wall while maintaining internal room temp.

#19 2019-11-13 17:27:08

Kaveh

DestinyCall wrote:
Saolin wrote:

I think of it as a feature, rather than a bug.   You can build wall boxes to transfer food and supplies through the wall while maintaining internal room temp.

Agreed, if you want to lock something in a house just don't put it on a shelf :shrug:

lilo wrote:

I like this shelf addition, i hope that we are getting new things to build, i would enjoy having a house with table, chairs, bed, sofa, baby cribs(those ones could even be funtional), or even decorative items like curtains, rugs, vases, tapestry etc.

Baby playpens! Yes!

lilo wrote:

About the walls i think its very unrealistic that you cant build wooden walls easily, when in real life it would be the easier material. If you want to keep the pine walls as something hard to build for realistic reasons, you could add a diferent type of wood wall easier to make: for example done with the same boards that you can use to make the wooden floors. It makes no sense that you can make wood floors and doors for cheap but not walls.

Also you could add a new material construction like brick walls, that way the wood frame you now use for the pine walls would have another use(to make bricks ading clay to it) and then build the house with the bricks making it durable without having to use plaster.

We definitely need 3 types of houses for the I HUFF AND I PUFF AND I BLOW YOUR HOUSE IN thing.
Wait, can we have hurricanes?? Or other random natural occurences??

#20 2019-11-13 18:44:23

Saolin

DestinyCall wrote:
Saolin wrote:

Fair enough. I don't mind it, and I would feel pretty sneaky if I took something from a locked room this way. It just seemed non-intuitive and therefore not intended. Maybe it was intended to work as you said. It is slightly more convenient.

#21 2019-11-13 18:57:00

DestinyCall

Saolin wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:
Saolin wrote:

Fair enough. I don't mind it, and I would feel pretty sneaky if I took something from a locked room this way. It just seemed non-intuitive and therefore not intended. Maybe it was intended to work as you said. It is slightly more convenient.

In a perfect world, I think we should have "drop boxes" and wall shelves.   The drop boxes could be accessed from both sides of the wall.  The wall shelves would not.   Also, the shelf would look like a shelf, instead of a box glued to the wall.

Realistically, I think this is less of an intended function and more of a design limitation.   I don't think the game is currently able to distinguish between "inside" and "outside" of the room for purposes of storage access.

#22 2019-11-14 03:16:17

pein

OPcI0Iz.png

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#23 2019-11-14 03:19:03

DestinyCall

Every town needs one of these.   Milk is the best.

#24 2019-11-14 19:33:31

Saolin

That's a pretty stylish cow pen! I usually just let them roam the town/wilderness freely and then chase them around with corn and buckets, lol.

Had a cow follow me to the oil rig the other day which made for a convenient use of the downtime present for both activities. smile

Last edited by Saolin (2019-11-14 19:39:51)

Board footer