One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-11-07 18:42:44

Jwillc

Re: Completely bonkers food rework idea

DestinyCall wrote:

Fatter you grow, slower you move.   If you eat enough pies, eventually you would be slower than a guy carrying a big rock and wider than a horse cart.

Thin starving people would run inside your property fence and steal all your pies before you could close the gate.   

You'd have to tell your children to feed you pies, because your fat arms are too short to reach your mouth.

This. Get fat, move slow. If a player is slow and fat we'll know their eating too much and they get stabbed, err fat shamed.

#27 2019-11-07 18:45:44

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Fug, this seems to be your favorite topic....

#28 2019-11-07 18:48:24

Tipy

This is a hypothetica to expand on the fatness system: Fatness and Fitness

A diet is a very important thing to fitness and health
What if the more variety you have in your diet/the bigger the yum chain is can help you build fitness and gain muscles to become buff/fit
Fit people walk faster, are faster when carrying heavy objects, as they age they could keep a bigger belly and if sprite changes won't be too much they could look buff
Other ways that would help build fitness are walking (little gaines) running on roads (big gaines) and carrying heavy objects around (massive gaines)

On the other side of the coin there are fat people
If you only eat of a single type of food (berry munching or just any kind of munching) you will become fat
Fat people walk slower and if they are REALLY obies they waddle on or can't move at all (the ladder is a bit extream but funny). Fat people will have reduced stomachs as elders and really obies people would die at 40 due to hearth failieur (again a bit extream but funny af) also fat character sprites
Too lose fat you could do all the stuff you can do to gain fitness

People whoe's diets are neither munching nor high yumming will be like the regular character models/abilities

Genetically fit people could have an easier time gainning fitness and genetically unfit people could gain fatness easier

This system other than being really fun can also really incourage a mass adoption of a diverse diet

Build bell towers not apocalypse towers

#29 2019-11-07 18:49:56

DestinyCall

jasonrohrer wrote:

Fug, this seems to be your favorite topic....

Clear sign that this is the best idea ever.

#30 2019-11-07 18:50:04

jasonrohrer
Administrator

The problem with putting a trade-off in place is that it causes players to self-regulate.  "I don't want to move too slow, so I will not eat too much."

Self-regulation, in the context of this game, is not that interesting.  Regulating others is interesting.  That's pretty much 100% what this game is about, hopefully.  We're all individuals, but this is obviously not an individual project we're conducting here.

Reserving more than one's fare share is already possible to some extent through backpacks (4 full pies) or fences (potentially infinite personal food reserves).  But these are pretty public displays of hoarding, by comparison.  If you do this, you will be questioned by others in your village, which is very good.

#31 2019-11-07 18:51:06

fug

Too much potential on the line to not root for such a good idea as clearly this bonkers idea was way better than you could have ever imagined in the first place.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#32 2019-11-07 19:04:49

Potjeh

Limit overeating to yum food only and it'll work.

#33 2019-11-07 19:11:00

Tipy

Just like there is so much depth in a spectrum of no 0 chopped trees to ''all of them'' there is way more depth and rich dynamics in a scale of ''0 fat'' to ''taking up the whole screen''
Think about how DEEP ohol will become, how in a 100000000 years intelectuals will disscus the layers of meaining in obesity in OHOL, the first piece of art that has transcened into a higher status with it's boddy positive image

Build bell towers not apocalypse towers

#34 2019-11-07 19:47:46

wondible

Riff: Eating is limitless indoors, limited outdoors. Town still only needs one room, but at least there is a definite benefit to having some shelter, and a place for people to come together.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#35 2019-11-07 19:48:58

pein

jasonrohrer wrote:

The problem with putting a trade-off in place is that it causes players to self-regulate.  "I don't want to move too slow, so I will not eat too much."

Self-regulation, in the context of this game, is not that interesting.  Regulating others is interesting.  That's pretty much 100% what this game is about, hopefully.  We're all individuals, but this is obviously not an individual project we're conducting here.

Reserving more than one's fare share is already possible to some extent through backpacks (4 full pies) or fences (potentially infinite personal food reserves).  But these are pretty public displays of hoarding, by comparison.  If you do this, you will be questioned by others in your village, which is very good.

no, they would self regulate cause others would shoot them

"oh, the town is starving, let's regulate the fatties with shotguns, gingers first "

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#36 2019-11-07 19:57:43

Amon

Perhaps another regulation type could be a nutrition penalty if you keep eating the same goddamn food over and over again. You should have a nutritional deficiency if you just ate one thing in a row. Perhaps it starts with three bites of the same food. Perhaps.

Likely it won't show up much on dense foods like pies, but easy munchables like berries will quickly become a no-go food if that's all you're gonna eat.

Last edited by Amon (2019-11-07 19:58:57)

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#37 2019-11-07 20:31:54

jasonrohrer
Administrator

wondible wrote:

Riff: Eating is limitless indoors, limited outdoors. Town still only needs one room, but at least there is a definite benefit to having some shelter, and a place for people to come together.

And what a house of gustatory horrors that one room would be.  The Horsemen of the Esophagus indeed!

#38 2019-11-07 20:35:10

jasonrohrer
Administrator

No limit.
No limit.
Whatever I eat, you're gonna eat.
No limit.
No limit.
No limit and meeeee!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdximU6Ao00

#39 2019-11-07 20:36:42

CatX

jasonrohrer wrote:

Fun for who though?
If I were a spectator watching people interact, sure, seeing drama when people misbehave on purpose or strive to regulate others would probably be more interesting than watching a society where each individual did what was best for society because it inherently was best for the individual.

But depending on the player, there are other aspects of the game they will think of as fun, and this particular aspect - having to guard the pies to prevent others from causing a famine - to many might not be interesting at all.

I also prefer the elements that seem most "natural" or "realistic."
For example,
- I'm not a fan of player initiated apocalypses, because the "magic" doesn't seem to fit in
- I'm not a fan of nature where the resources don't regrow, it feels unnatural
- I'm not a fan of not being able to make baby slings or other baby carry devices, it seems like an artificial rule for otherwise clever people

And I realize that it is the part of me who enjoys simulation games who would prefer, and even enjoy, other choices for the game.

But for that same reason, I wouldn't be fond of a system where a person could eat all the food they would ever need before they turned five - or twenty - and never eat again for the rest of their lives.

#40 2019-11-07 20:51:33

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Well, this is a game.  Making an interesting, rich, and deep game is the top goal here.

So "simulation" is only present in this game where it fits.  I mean, there is more crafting realism in this game than in any other game, but obviously, it's an abstract and palatable form of crafting realism.  It's 25 steps to make fire (or whatever), but you don't actually whittle the branch one slice at a time.

There's also plenty of room for thematically symbolic things that still "fit".  The "end of the world" is one example of this.  This is a game about building civilization.  What happens when it's "built"?  The game is kinda over.  So an apocalypse fits this story symbolically, even if it seems like magic on the ground.  We got to the point of a singularity.  Everything changed.  Experiment is over.  Time to run it again from the beginning.  How did we get in the untouched wilderness in the first place?  That's just a magical philosophical premise.  So is Eve spawning without getting born.  Magic, but it makes sense.  We're thinking methodologically here.

Likewise, infinite stomach (which I probably won't add), fits symbolically.  It represents your "fair share" of the collective output, and all the negotiations about that.  Those negotiations have been going on since the dawn of time, and continue to go on today.  In fact, it could be argued that no single issue shaped the 19th and 20th centuries more than this one issue.  How rich is too rich?

#41 2019-11-07 21:11:50

CatX

jasonrohrer wrote:

Likewise, infinite stomach (which I probably won't add), fits symbolically.  It represents your "fair share" of the collective output, and all the negotiations about that.  Those negotiations have been going on since the dawn of time, and continue to go on today.  In fact, it could be argued that no single issue shaped the 19th and 20th centuries more than this one issue.  How rich is too rich?

But we'd lose the interesting aspects of killing people for treasure if they already ate it all... smile

#42 2019-11-07 21:29:53

jasonrohrer
Administrator

When someone dies, all the undigested food they ate will spill forth, as if from a cornucopia.

#43 2019-11-07 21:32:21

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Bezoar incoming!

#44 2019-11-07 21:36:38

Saolin

jasonrohrer wrote:

Dodge, how is:

reduce food drain rate by 4x, reduce food values by 4x

any different from:

increase stomach capacity by 4x

The only differences I guess is it would mean babies need to be fed less often,  and yum would be more powerful.

Of course many food items would need to have their relative value adjusted unless you wanted to deal with non whole numbers. But it could be used as an opportunity to rebalance food items.

When I posted the same idea in the other thread I was thinking more along a 2x change.. but regardless, you're right, increasing stomach size is pretty close to the same as decreasing hunger drain and food values.

#45 2019-11-07 21:36:39

Kaveh

Instead of adding food pips/overflow, overeating causes people to poop. This can then be used for compost.

#46 2019-11-07 21:39:46

tobiasisahawk

Kaveh wrote:

Instead of adding food pips/overflow, overeating causes people to poop. This can then be used for compost.

Also works for making brown shorts.

#47 2019-11-07 21:53:03

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

I like this idea but griefers would take advantage. Maybe have a set limit? Only 50 extra pips of food

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#48 2019-11-07 21:55:19

wondible

jasonrohrer wrote:

Bezoar incoming!

Finally we have a solution for personal storage. Just eat it! Keys can at last be reasonable to use without it taking up an entire pocket.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#49 2019-11-07 22:02:33

Saolin

As for the original idea of unlimited stomach, you might as well place a welcome mat down for griefers and leave the front door wide open.

I wonder if an unadulterated increase of stomach size would decrease the incentive to yum, since being able to surpass the maximum stomach size is one of the benefits of yumming.

#50 2019-11-08 00:29:07

DestinyCall

jasonrohrer wrote:

When someone dies, all the undigested food they ate will spill forth, as if from a cornucopia.

Food pinata!

Wait ... does this mean you could use babies as infinite storage?    Fill a baby full of pies, carry it where you want to go, then "unload" the pies.

Like breaking a piggy bank.

Board footer