One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-28 17:45:59

Whatever

Jason please give us mod stats

How many % of people that played in the last 24 hours used a mod.
How many % used awbz, how many milkweed and so on..

pls smile

#2 2019-10-28 18:21:38

miskas

Re: Jason please give us mod stats

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#3 2019-10-28 19:08:42

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Actually, the server is tracking this now!

Let me check the data.

#4 2019-10-28 19:15:15

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Over the past 60 hours, we've seen these lives lived:

13 client_wonlife  (0.1%)
    544 client_milkweed   (5%)
   1541 client_hetuw     (15%)
   1582 client_awbz      (15%)
   6595 client_official  (64%)
-------------------------
  10275 TOTAL

#5 2019-10-28 19:17:30

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I also need to sort these by email, to get fractions of players.  This above is fraction of lives, and you can imagine people using mods live longer, and thus live fewer lives.

#6 2019-10-28 19:19:06

Whatever

thanks jason !
its cool to see

its a nice idea, but it will only catch a few players, jason recently made an update to track mods

#7 2019-10-28 19:25:31

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Okay, here are unique players in the past 60 hours, and what client they were using.  Any player who used more than one client is counted more than once.

2 client_wonlife  (0.2%)
     35 client_milkweed   (3%)
     83 client_hetuw      (7%)
    163 client_awbz      (14%)
    915 client_official  (76%)
------------------------
   1200 TOTAL

#8 2019-10-28 19:27:28

jasonrohrer
Administrator

So mod users are living more lives than non-mod-users.  I guess that's to be expected, because they are more hardcore about the game.

#9 2019-10-28 19:31:22

Whatever

jasonrohrer wrote:

Over the past 60 hours, we've seen these lives lived:

13 client_wonlife  (0.1%)
    544 client_milkweed   (5%)
   1541 client_hetuw     (15%)
   1582 client_awbz      (15%)
   6595 client_official  (64%)
-------------------------
  10275 TOTAL
jasonrohrer wrote:

Okay, here are unique players in the past 60 hours, and what client they were using.  Any player who used more than one client is counted more than once.

2 client_wonlife  (0.2%)
     35 client_milkweed   (3%)
     83 client_hetuw      (7%)
    163 client_awbz      (14%)
    915 client_official  (76%)
------------------------
   1200 TOTAL

nice to compare, most people use the awbz mod, but hetuw, milkweed and wonlife users play more often

#10 2019-10-28 19:33:08

jasonrohrer
Administrator

BTW, the fact that I made a game or service for which there are 5 different clients is kindof a dream come true, as a network systems architect.

Something interesting:

It is totally possible for a clean-room OHOL client to work, using the protocol, and maybe even display the information in a completely different way.

For example, there could be an ASCII interface (rogue-style), or even a "blind" text-only interface that narrates what's going on and allows you to move and act by typing commands.  Like WALK NORTH 3.

But also, of course, graphical interfaces with totally different presentations.  There could also be graphical skins that replace all the sprites and objects with something else.  I've seen some smaller reskin mods (like for hats, trees, ground textures).  But if someone dug into the animations too, having a DOG LIFE mode for OHOL, where everyone was a dog, and babies were puppies, would be totally possible.

Or an underwater mod where everyone was a fish or a mermaid....

#11 2019-10-28 19:36:05

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I mean, if I was a real buisnessman, I'd make a flavor of OHOL for every taste and perversion and sell them as separate products on Steam (and they'd all connect to the same shared persistent world, and everyone would be non-the-wiser)....

ONE HOUR ONE FAIRY
ONE HOUR ONE PONY
ONE HOUR ONE MONSTER TRUCK
ONE HOUR ONE ORNITHOLOGIST
ONE HOUR ONE FURRY
ONE HOUR ONE MERMAID
ONE HOUR ONE SCHOOLGIRL
ONE HOUR ONE ROBOT
ONE HOUR ONE TACO

#12 2019-10-28 19:42:12

Dodge

DLC incoming lol

#13 2019-10-28 19:57:12

Amon

Also that's interesting, at any possible time while playing, one third of players would be a mod user.
One out of every three people. either that's a lot, or that's a little depending on the perspective. Like the woe the griefer that uses mods and think of the nonmod users.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Or an underwater mod where everyone was a fish or a mermaid....

Don't give me ideas Jason, I already made a werewolf mod haha. Candyland sounds easy and feasable right now.

Last edited by Amon (2019-10-28 19:58:53)

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#14 2019-10-28 20:21:00

Coconut Fruit

jasonrohrer wrote:

So mod users are living more lives than non-mod-users.  I guess that's to be expected, because they are more hardcore about the game.

The game is more enjoyable with zoom, so people with a mod will be more likely to play the game more.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#15 2019-10-28 21:02:35

wondible

jasonrohrer wrote:
      2 client_wonlife  (0.2%)

Huh? There is somebody besides me? tongue

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#16 2019-10-28 21:23:33

Grim_Arbiter

jasonrohrer wrote:

But also, of course, graphical interfaces with totally different presentations.  There could also be graphical skins that replace all the sprites and objects with something else.  I've seen some smaller reskin mods (like for hats, trees, ground textures).  But if someone dug into the animations too, having a DOG LIFE mode for OHOL, where everyone was a dog, and babies were puppies, would be totally possible.

That kinda exists already technically..

Im actually surprised you never saw that mod.. truz (hmkra on fourms) made a personal mod for her that gave everyone of all ages ears fur and a tail.

It never got made public though.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#17 2019-10-28 21:33:30

PXshadow

jasonrohrer wrote:

BTW, the fact that I made a game or service for which there are 5 different clients is kind of a dream come true, as a network systems architect.

I'll add a client to the list if I get some help figuring out how to properly deal with animations, it seems most of the logic is found here.
The issue I am having is I understand the animation data properties such as inPhase, inAmp, inOscPerSec. However the extra overhead logic such as fadeHardness, targetWeight, returnHoldingPos confuses me to the functionality of the animation its self (it most likely it the case that I just don't have the proper experience writing complex sin functions and dealing with oscillation mathematical calculations),  also how does the function get called update wise for an animation I could not find it in the source. Overall I want to try to keep the codebase concise, so the reason for understanding the base logic rather then simply copying it is to be able to use libraries such as actuate to deal with the tweening logic and work under that system with most likely modified ease functions, that mimic getOscOffset function. Not to mention understanding the base logic thus far for everything else has been an incredible learning experience, and I'd like to continue down that route for the client.

Also I really appreciate the amazing work you've done to make the project so followable so far you are right in being able to use the protocol.txt to make any type of client (language wise, interface, functionality etc). I hope the project I'm working on will be able to demonstrate that practically and also make it even easier to do what I've done, and push the ball forward even more for others.

PXshadow#9132
Senior full stack developer

#18 2019-10-28 21:48:14

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Wow, that sounds like a great project!

Unfortunately, I'm too swamped on this end to dig into the code and help you unpack all of this.

Wondible has done some pretty deep digging already.... maybe he can shed some light for you.

#19 2019-10-28 21:50:12

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Also, messing around with the existing editor would probably be more enlightening than looking at the code.

All the parameters in the animation text file format show up as little sliders in the Animation screen of the editor.  You can play with them and see exactly what they do in realtime.

#20 2019-10-28 23:17:54

pein

I kinda separated most of my sprite packs, and I guess people aren't too pro about setting them up, not sure if people even use part of my sprite modifications.

So far I got:
-complete biome texture changes with alternative textures
-biome overlay textures and some gui changes
-floors and roads (recently had to change the numbers also the furs on them are weird)
-nudity mod (leaf panties), also someone  else made underpants mod
-hat changes, I had several hats for straw hat (jason hat, ninja headband, sombrero) and for fur hat (slouch hat)
-one set of hairstyle for the first female character
-latest was a set of loom clothes and bowler hats which change colour as I found out

mxix had quite extensive mods which change objects and animations too.

i got a few things that i didn't share publicly, mostly funny things like Trex goose, creepy coloured eyes for 2 characters, weirdo wig hat, new seal skin jacket (still looks weird), emoji poop as dung, rubber ball sprites (Korea ball, basketball, bouncing head) and some more I don't even remember

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#21 2019-10-29 00:17:24

PXshadow

jasonrohrer wrote:

Also, messing around with the existing editor would probably be more enlightening than looking at the code.

All the parameters in the animation text file format show up as little sliders in the Animation screen of the editor.  You can play with them and see exactly what they do in realtime.

Not a worry time wise I know you're quite busy, I'll start with the editor and get the basics done that way by replication. Great to hear you like the idea behind the project it means a lot, and I will take your advice on asking wondible thanks smile

PXshadow#9132
Senior full stack developer

#22 2019-10-29 00:53:09

SpiritBomb32

jasonrohrer wrote:

For example, there could be an ASCII interface (rogue-style), or even a "blind" text-only interface that narrates what's going on and allows you to move and act by typing commands.  Like WALK NORTH 3.

Pls add a chance to become blind and have interact and move via text adventure

- "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."
Add books, please Jason.

#23 2019-10-29 06:17:13

Kinrany

It's interesting that players with hetuw's mod played twice as many lives, proportionally: 7% players, 15% lives.

Does the client protocol change often?

Board footer