One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-10-17 18:12:29

Amon

Re: Rabbits will no longer respawn, ponds will no longer refill

fug wrote:

Jason should be targeting all the "free" food sources instead of just focusing on stuff like rabbits

Lets curbstomp the biggest offender in cuisine. Gooseberries. Most eaten food is gooseberries. Makes sense early in, however most of the arc is spent in civilisation.

Imagine how village dynamics would have changed if sheep just ate hay instead of bowls of gooseberries and carrots. And if compost required something else than gooseberries. It is the only reason why we keep those around either way.
Maybe then other foods would be more aprechiated.

I don't really like the rabbit change. For how much food is produced via hunting, if you make a dedicated cooking station you'll cook through it swiftly and just distribute the longears throughout the village for lunchtime.
Making rabbit clothes less useful would be great, considering we have a nice tech advancement limit on the time when we can acquire a loom.

Last edited by Amon (2019-10-17 18:12:43)

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#27 2019-10-17 18:45:57

Matbat

There are two options of this whole rabbit thing.
1. Leave fur clothing and backpacks as they are, but killing off rabbits entirely because they're overturned (good source of pie meat, decent early-game food) or

2. Rebalancing rabbits (clothes decay faster, insulation rebalance, backpack decays again, rabbit pie fills similarly to a carrot pie (to encourage mixing), cooked rabbit fills less, and rabbit fur decays (to put a squeeze on hunters and force them to go out more) and making them an integral part of the game, rather than another bootstrapping material.

We'll see how this first rabbit apocalypse goes, but I'd really rather see #2 happen instead.
We might have to have a whole food pyramid reconstruction in the near future.

#28 2019-10-17 19:04:45

pein

you cant remove or nerf gooseberries, as it's eaten by newbies
i had 2 sons today then another and they didn't seem to be fully newbie
but if you pick all bushes down, people die
this means it's the only food they recognize

i guess there is  less pressure on engine making, and we got more iron, so i think the right way to nerf berries would be a limited lifespan
logically we should pick berries in bowls and eat from there, fix all the time  and get more charges out of less bushes, but it's never happening
so make it more clear with bushes that deteriorate over time
you pick them down 4 times, it goes dry and nothing can save it
it would still make a kindling and still would have similar pips to carrot

but would be "moving" on the map
when we started the game, berries were one hour long off
they regrew by themselves but you had to water them if they were empty
then it came that they regrow in 8 min, then the soil on them

it's the only food people recognize easily
i think that limited lifetime would solve the issue with the berry planters

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#29 2019-10-17 19:17:05

Amon

Gooseberries are also a reinforced food in the tutorial, which must be played beforehand.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#30 2019-10-17 19:38:43

Coconut Fruit

DestinyCall wrote:
Keyin wrote:

'industrialize, die, or spend your whole life naked jumping from berry-bush to berry-bush. Your choice.'

Not much of a choice, is it?

You're so right, Kevin.   

But don't worry, I'm sure that the next fix will remove wild berries as a late-game option, so this problem will be solved.

You are not serious but I would actually love it to remove them as a late-game option tongue
Wild berries are too op.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#31 2019-10-17 19:45:11

CatX

Interesting to me would be:

Rabbits disappear and springs stop giving water because of seasons.
They're gone for a while, then they return.
In an open world, but with an improved road building mechanism so that cities are connected.

When winter comes, people are forced to stay together. If they lack resources, they have to move to other towns or go buy supplies.

Then - a new season of abundance.

If all towns die out during winter, the apocalypse resets the world.

I just don't understand why everything has to be so artificial with the rift and forced scarcity when seasons solve the same problems.

#32 2019-10-17 19:51:05

Saolin

I have mixed feelings about the changes. I don't really like the rabbit change mainly because it's an occasional fun and fulfilling activity when the village is in need of clothes. It feels really satisfying to bring back ~17 rabbits and turn it into clothes and backpacks for some naked kids. However it's possible this will still be similar in a lot of cases, since generally a village lacks clothes only early game.  A positive is It will reduce clutter in late game towns where clothing has stockpiled to that point. I think I would like it better if rabbit clothes didn't decay now. People are gonna get mad if rabbit fur is used for anything other than backpacks, though I would still miss the rabbit gathering for clothes aspect.

I am interested to see how it impacts late game food dynamics due to the prevalence of rabbit pies as a staple, however there are other similar food options like mutton that will most likely just take the place of rabbits, since rabbits are one of many cheap food sources.

The pond change is fine I guess, doesn't really matter too much other than ponds that haven't been visited in a long time won't fill back up anymore, making previously used land slightly less useful.

Do we get one or two rabbits out of a hole before it stops producing?

#33 2019-10-17 21:11:13

JonySky
Website

I ask myself a question ... has iron reduction generated trade? Has it generated interesting stories? Has anyone seen player migrations heading to an iron mine to reestablish nearby? or ... have epic battles for iron control been created? ...
... none of this has happened, only the EVE game has been eliminated and the game of players who want to create satellite cities has disappeared ...

the same will happen with this ...

Last edited by JonySky (2019-10-17 21:13:50)

#34 2019-10-17 21:41:04

DestinyCall

I don't know, Jony.   I think I would totally knife someone for their backpack after this up-date.   The extra storage space is more precious than iron to someone who values efficiency.    That's kind of like trading and war rolled into one.

One life = one backpack.

When I pass on the village's only backpack to my favorite grandchild, I'll be sure to tell them a few funny stories about the pack's previous owners first and warn them to watch their back.    It will be like passing on a gold crown, but you can store extra knives inside it.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-10-17 21:41:33)

#35 2019-10-17 22:47:54

The_Anabaptist

DestinyCall wrote:

I don't know, Jony.   I think I would totally knife someone for their backpack after this up-date.   The extra storage space is more precious than iron to someone who values efficiency.    That's kind of like trading and war rolled into one.

One life = one backpack.

When I pass on the village's only backpack to my favorite grandchild, I'll be sure to tell them a few funny stories about the pack's previous owners first and warn them to watch their back.    It will be like passing on a gold crown, but you can store extra knives inside it.

You make a very good point.  Once the change is implemented, all you will have to do is look at who is wearing backpacks to know who the killers are.  If you do happen to find an abandoned one and return to town, the next stab wound will mean a whole bunch of people standing around you, waiting for you to keel over dead, instead of applying a bandage to you.

The_Anabaptist

#36 2019-10-17 23:01:24

DestinyCall

"Ah sweet sister, you will be missed.  Such a cruel world, to take you away from me so early."
"But brother, we have pads and thread.  Quickly, stitch me up!"
"Don't worry, I will avenge you.  I love you so much, Sis."
"But you can save me!  The supplies are right there."
"Hush, now.  There's no point in fighting against fate.   The world is a terrible place."
"Yay! Backpack!"
"You realize she was the last girl, right?"
".... Shit."

#37 2019-10-17 23:03:40

Booklat1

In brazilian portuguese we have this expression which translates to neither 8 nor 80 and it applies to my reactions to Jason pretty well

It means not taking things by the extremes, not overdoing something when trying to fix it.

Both rabbits and ponds should really be nerfed, but this is just killing the chance of any wild territory ever feeling wild after the first time it's occupied which I think has nothing to do with the problem with resource contention in the first place

But Jason will eventually realize when he takes 10 seconds to analise food data and sees how ridiculously well we can live feeding off of wild berries.

Also, fuck you if you need needles

Last edited by Booklat1 (2019-10-17 23:04:52)

#38 2019-10-17 23:06:58

DestinyCall

Or a new bellows to replace the one that keeps getting stolen by the same griefer, over and over.

#39 2019-10-17 23:25:08

Booklat1

Spoonwood wrote:
sigmen4020 wrote:

This is probably the biggest problem with this change.

I don't think I agree.  The biggest problem lies in that a set of bellows requires a rabbit fur to make.  Griefers just hide bellows over and over again (who wants to cut trees with hungry work also?), and soon enough a town can't use a kiln.  Removing bellows and killing off the rabbit supply, could kill off the possibility of a town making an oil rig or diesel engine well before they can get there.

Also, fug has a good point that this just removes a simple activity that many players have found enjoyable.  I remember one of my first lives way back in December hunting rabbits and people were satisfied having backpacks.

Fuck me, spoonwood is actually right

#40 2019-10-17 23:33:51

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I found a better solution:

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLifeD … 575ee19667

Early game, snaring is very easy with burdock.

Later game, it's a bit harder, b/c transporting lots of bait bowls is not convenient.  You could imagine several creative and interesting solutions to this problem, for the would-be civilized rabbit trapper.

#41 2019-10-17 23:36:59

Booklat1

it is a better solution

will also most likely delay steel tech a bit which may or may not be good

As long as we still rush axe it should be fine though

#42 2019-10-17 23:41:29

fug

jasonrohrer wrote:

I found a better solution:

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLifeD … 575ee19667

Early game, snaring is very easy with burdock.

Later game, it's a bit harder, b/c transporting lots of bait bowls is not convenient.  You could imagine several creative and interesting solutions to this problem, for the would-be civilized rabbit trapper.

I hate to say it but that's franky a dumb idea to use berry/carrot bowls as it's incredibly expensive to catch a single rabbit while also making it where you can only catch one rabbit at a time early game (due to the fact you can't carry burdock mixture on a flat rock and a sharp rock at the same time.) It's comical to say the least the thought you need a cart to catch rabbits now, especially since even with a base cart you can't wheel out enough bowls to even make yourself a backpack.

I get you're trying to balance things but this is completely out of whack to a hysterical amount. It's more logical to use carrots/wild carrots (they already exist in the savannah) and just to add to it you give an actual use to mashed carrot bowls which are just redundant as you can already stick a full carrot into a pie without having to mash it first.

https://edge.onetech.info/548-Bowl-of-Mashed-Carrot

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#43 2019-10-17 23:43:43

Booklat1

wait, what exactly works as bait? it isnt just A burdock?

#44 2019-10-17 23:48:41

Melea

That sounds tedious as hell. Especially since it sounds like the bait is consumed when you snare a rabbit??? Early game burdock spawns in many areas wouldn't even support making one backpack.

Berry+carrot bowl used up to breed/rewool sheep, ok I guess.
Berry+carrot bowl used to start compost, why? Feels quite wasteful and not realistic at all, but alright.
Berry+carrot bowl used for baiting EVERY SINGLE rabbit into a snare...not only is this about as far from realism as possible, but it seems purposefully set up to be obnoxious and screw with the players.

#45 2019-10-17 23:53:27

DestinyCall

Rabbits don't naturally eat root vegetables/fruit.   Carrots and fruit are high in sugar and should only be fed in very small amount. Rabbits need mainly grass hay and some leafy greens.   Feeding rich foods can cause serious health problems.

Please Jason ... think of the bunnies.

#46 2019-10-17 23:54:34

fug

Booklat1 wrote:

wait, what exactly works as bait? it isnt just A burdock?

It's either/or. You can use a burdock to catch a rabbit or you can mash a bowl of berries with a carrot and use that as bait. It's both thematically dumb while also being incredibly tedious for the sake of being tedious.

Just doing a carrot makes so much more sense as you can fit a bowl, snare, and sharp rock into a basket. You then use the naturally spawning carrots in the savannah as your start up bait while later taking the carrot seeds back to replant for more rabbit bait. For the berry bowl method you literally have to walk out to the middle of the savannah and drop off your snare, then return with a single bowl up until you have a cart in which case you can catch a whopping four rabbits at a time then proceed to bait + snare.

This is just Jason being goofy again. Baiting a rabbit snare isn't the problem with his solution, it's the ridiculous cost and the tedium related to having to walk back and forth to your rabbit hole twice just to catch a single rabbit.

Last edited by fug (2019-10-17 23:55:23)

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#47 2019-10-18 00:29:03

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

Rabbits don't naturally eat root vegetables/fruit.   Carrots and fruit are high in sugar and should only be fed in very small amount. Rabbits need mainly grass hay and some leafy greens.   Feeding rich foods can cause serious health problems.

Please Jason ... think of the bunnies.

I thought straw might work, but then looked things up:

"Hay is often the combination of several grasses and grains like alfalfa, brome, and timothy; clover and rye are often components. Hay is cut when it’s source is still green, capturing nutrients in the cut-off plants."

https://mullinsfarms.com/misc/hay-vs-st … ifference/

Alright, so it sounds like the game could use a few new plants, which could then get put into a bowl and cut with a sharp stone to make hay, and then the hay could get to the rabbit.  Though, of course, that's only for the second round of rabbits, the first ones just pop out of their holes.

Rabbit hunting would be more time consuming than previously, but not necessarily finite.

That said, I'm not inclined to believe that an improvement.  It might be interesting for some, but rabbit hunting has made for a good thing which was simple in nature and fairly easy to pick up for anyone who is not so new that they feel comfortable watching their pip bar, but isn't advanced enough to know how to compost or smith or anything else fairly complex.  Needing a bowl of hay for each rabbit also makes the process slower.

That said, if rabbits could get domesticated, and those grasses for hay get grown, that might work out well for the game.

One thing for sure though, making things hard for the sake of 'challenge' or 'realism' has a very bad track record in this game, with how it's numbers have continually declined.  So, really, I don't see enough reason to change anything about rabbits.  Then again, it already seems too late as the stupid process of the mis-developement of this game consists in Jason coming with ideas in a vacuum, not getting any serious feedback of worth, and then implementing his made up in a vacuum notions.  Or worse, as with what happened with swords, asking about an idea, having a massive rejection for the idea, and then going ahead with that idea anyways, and unsurprisingly player count dropping.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-10-18 00:38:43)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#48 2019-10-18 00:32:18

DestinyCall

At this point, I just have a big bag of popcorn and I'm enjoying the show, 'cause this shit's hilarious.

Can't wait to see what gets "fixed" next.

#49 2019-10-18 00:49:56

Averest

The only thing I can think of is that months ago, Jason said

Jasonrohrer wrote:

Yes, this is coming in the future.

My idea was some kind of rabbit hutch....

In reply to MistressZeus's suggestion

It would be awesome if similair to how you can domesticate sheep we could catch Rabbits and raise them for meat an fur instead of always going to a rabbit hole. Like if a rabbit family hole is snared you can either leave the baby to grow or catch it with a nap sack (not in game as of now). Then you can place it in a fence or hutch (which isnt in game as of now). and it will continue to have babies inside the fence  who will then also have babies etc etc. to be used for meat an fur. Love the idea of being a rabbit breeder, providing meat for pie maker an fur for the tailor. NO NAKED BABIES!!. The domestic rabbits wouldn't need to be snared once int he fence you just walk up an hit them on the head with a rock, skin them with flint an well la! Domestic rabbits can be picked up an held (you have to have a carrot in hand to catch them. if however the rabbit is unable to be caught it will make a burrow near by an turn back into a wild rabbit (some sort of time frame from escape an turning wild) If the rabbits got loose carrot farm beware!!! This is where they will be drawn to.

So I'm not going to be up in arms about this quite yet, but honestly rabbit hunting has always been one of my favorite activities when the drama of town gets too much.

#50 2019-10-18 00:53:46

Spoonwood

People have been clamoring for more content.

Someone on the discord says that the rabbit change will remove content.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer