a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-30 16:34:08

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Analyzing arc 1 on Wondible's map

Go here and enable the arc1 layer:

https://onemap.wondible.com

We can see exactly how much of each biome there was, and how they were situated.

If you're looking for green near blue-gray (lighter gray), which is green near swamp, there are almost no viable spots here.

#2 2019-07-30 19:25:41

seth

Re: Analyzing arc 1 on Wondible's map

Interesting.. Looks like successful civilizations seem cluster near the edge.

Oh wow - that play button is awesome! Especially when a lot of people join..

#3 2019-07-30 20:59:48

pein

vSuezUa.png

it lasted 5 hours and i was a bit late, but cant say i lost anything

i was born as a ginger baby boy, and i was looking at discord for a sec, i was abandoned
but i seen a 11-12 year old girl, Geronimo, she fed me too many berries, and i survived
she took me home and her mom raised me, even if i wasn't related
i was making a snare right away then adobe, kiln, pottery, planted carrots, got rabbit

until the carrots grown all of them died, poor Geronimo died near the top savanah, her mom step on snake, one kid escape NÉ and not sure if she died, she kept all kdis and all of them died fast

i was planting one more round of carrots and got rabbits, there were some ponds in swamp, then i went to look around
i seen a ton of mouflons killed strictly without lamb and they were not even skinned

later as i went down on the edge, i seen a guy who also had some similar fate, the sprng had stones, he was struggling with firewood, food, had like 3 iron, i gave his hatchet back then left cause i needed a girl

i found a big fence on bottom, later life a dante girl was my mom there

the dante camp above it was a bit more inside the map so if you run in edge you miss it, i tried to take a girl with me but i fed once, then a girl stole the carrot i prepared for her and she starved, she was following me but she was too dumb to eat the cacti and starved

i went back and gave them the iron i got, 5 pieces, then i found a few arrows and bows, collected them
helped them smith the hammer, axe, shovel, she had an older girl who helped on that, then she started popping like 10 kids under 3 min, all of them jump from me, but eventually one followed me, actually she didn't understood that my camp is norther, so she stopped on solo guy base, if you ask me it's still better than nothing

later life i was a Dante and my mom was shot by someone then i escaped and got pack, clothes, knife from behidn trees, seen several camps, mixed, big mess, one of them had 4 pillars, dragonette family but also 2 others, and they were killing gingers, one life i started there and starved as a kid as the green biome had zero food in it
anyway, that lfie i was able to collect some iron back to top left camp site and had like 2 kids, and seen a few mixed griefd camps, and i think they were making some tools and stealing some tools, top right was a mess, the only mouflon left alive was on a tiny badlands top side
i found a family where some kids were runnign  around, and a black guy killed them then me , he was old, he had no reason for it, nor strategic resources, he just wanted blood

then  i was born in mccrackens, it was decent, ollj dumped furs and turkeys but they coudlnt make packs cause no milkweed , no water, no chisel, no file, bow hidden (funny but i counted like 20ish bows on map while zero carts)
weird cause i seen a hidden bucket in mccraccken

i got iron as a kdi then shoot goose, then tried smithing, then some idiot was running aroudn with iron and they ruined half camp just stating the obvious what we should do but nobody doing shit, and even preventing when i do it
so i went to north side, found 2-3 veins, loose iron, so i made a fence near a spring in savanah
i was disturbed too much to actually get it going, i had sheep, i had milkweed seed and kinda that's it
i starved eventually after having some not so smart kids

next lfie i got back, i was eventually making tools, got the vein, got the knife, cut some turkeys
i had like 15 kids in short time, lot of them suicide, some of them just spam yohoo/sick over and over
then i seen a ginger from Made? family
and a dead body

i went to make shears and saw, as i was taking some tools, cause fuck them, why should i let they steal all my iron for nothing
so i went back to my fort north, like 120ish from town
the Dante bitch was following me and shot me
and she understood us, she grow up at us, she was hunting us
then she tried to blame on me that im making knifes
like really? be happy i make knives, we need it
none of your fucking business what i do,  you are not our family, admit you are a griefer and that's it
btw i really hate that i cant dodge this sneaky backstabbing noobs and push their arrows in their buttholes, like wtf is the point in killing and old woman in the middle of a savanah?

anyway, short after the apoc happened, guess because of others had the same "helpless" babies in short time

i seen a mcckracken lady with her girl after that and after i seen 2 corners, i knew it was map reset so i quit , the rest is new arc

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2019-07-30 22:17:19

pein

so basically from the tracks i can say that most families never made it cause the locations are suboptimal and they never get iron
they run out of wild food too fast
they couldn't get file, pencil, saw, sheep, carts, buckets cause griefers take the files and hide them, buckets are also hidden a lot of times
people die with basket of iron behind trees
lot of bows hidden behind trees but not nearly as much arrows, so people actually using a lot of arrows or just keep at them
most bears are poked
new eves don't survive on the mess others leave behind

just by loking at the map, that mix outpost had some water but generally not enough branch trees
and i would say too much rabbits, around 15 just bottoom side, and a lot on top, a family of 3 maybe can survive if they progress on a decent tempo and get farms, yet is highly unlikely that average players get to making wells

the place where the solo guy was, was decent, lot of trees, but nearly not enough food to keep up with the boom
also he struggle with ropes, iron, as the eves were making too many bows and basic tools
the edges are great for telling where you at in the world so people run around that parts, which results in more hit and run, stealing, shooting

the inner tiles, like 100-120 are less liekly to be discovered by others, but the tiny green biomes were never sustaining even the small families of 3 people

this seed had too much ice which is walling normal people from each other. average players don't go more than a 50 radius so they don't even enter the ice or they die in there

the loose iron spread into several camps wont allow any advanced stuff, and camps with tools get flooded with babies very fast
also mixed families end up killing each other

overall the bad biomes serve no purpose other than temporary materials
ice-has a few seals, stone, oil spots
jungle-has some banana but then is wasted space
badlands- iron and sheep, some flat rocks
desert- same as ice or badlands
because you cant build on them, and you cant cross them easily
i don't think they need the same proportion as good biomes

green: very fragmented ones end up very scarce in food or trees so under 20-30 branches, families wont survive
not everybody is jumping on making tools, not even pottery
kindling goes fast just by baby raising, cooking rabbit, egg, pies
they should be much bigger and more packed

swamps: they give a lot of wood, some water, some clay
they should be near the green if they got water, or clay if not, more packed, maybe smaller in size

savannah: i feel like we had too much rabbit compared to threads, milkweed is an issue, that's for sure
without sheep and shears, people use too much, and you cant say it's bad, if you cant do tools fast enough
but also from wild soil, it's hard to plant enough
i think it should be smaller savanah with slightly less rabbit, the "mix families" labeled spot had too much rabbits and no chance of ever makign a good camp without hoarding a lot of stuff there, i count 11 more spots which are huge, not even big, huuuge, which ends up being wasted space with no wild food, and it's kind of the trap of 21s, no food to get there, no food to get back, no time to hunt rabbit, no milkweed to make clothes

mccracken had tons of furs sitting there for hours, as no one could make clothes and wast mjority of iron was at that spot, i seen 3 veins in there and quite a lot of loose iron

the way of gathering is also bad, it doesn't reward scouting, with limited map, you still need to move around to get lucky, but it wont reward you
i think less stuff, but temporarily regenerating so moving players get stuff would be a better approach then fixed stuff
i literally choose a spot, and went exploring 20% of map to realize there is no iron around, so spots mean nothing, and hard to evaluate a spot with a hard plan on iron and mines
next arc i seen 4 lose iron and i knew i can make a shovel in that small biome
but that could easily change if someone picks it up and walks away with it
first came first serve means haording and hiding is very powerful

now you need optimal strategy, 9 iron for a set of tools to get an iron mine
there is no point of starting smithing before that
sure you can do 3 and just hammer axe shovel, that raises the quality of life a lot
but before 9 it's no point wasting the scarce kindling

same with green biome, if has no branches, then no point in gathering them, cause others use it suboptimally and you end up waiting too much

now about griefers:
bows are low tech, and hurt economy in many ways
those ropes used for bows limit the buckets and carts made
also the distruption is bad, most families are one older female with kids, a killer can easily kill off a camp just by killing one person who walked far to start a spot
safety i numbers? not really, bigger families got too much food issues to be able to sustain themselves

the killed mouflons alone made the whole map barely had any sheep pens, which made milkweed situation even worse

the edges: interestingly enough, edges are better spots, maybe because they are easy to defend
all bigger towns emerged in green biomes, near swamps, near big savanah, the middle spots were striped of milkweed and left alone

0Mf6PDW.png
just a quick sketch
if ice and desert is a wall
then the map is cut into a few chunks

the working spots are the green+swamp for food
where only swamp is waste of space
only green is branches that never get picked
jungle is a bit of extra food then becomes a wall (actually more people die in jungle than in ice or desert)
badlands are just, well, doesn't matter much, after the iron is gone

kinda makes sense why towns were where they were
with a bigger amount of tourists in edges, only dante had a real camp, cause they had fences
bit inside of map, they were a bit more hidden from public, also closer to iron
it's kinda clear why Mckrackens had the best spot, and those other 3 circles around them are decent but maybe not the best item distrubutions

the empty spots, wherei didn't draw anything:
-savanah has no soil to use swamps
-green biome without water is useless
-big swamps only matter on edges
-ice, desert, jungle is just too big

overall the noise around biomes should be less
good biomes bigger or more packed
bad biomes smaller (they run out anyway)
less tiny biomes
jungle/savanah combos and green/swamp combos more often
ice and desert around those combos as separators
badlands as filler/empty space
elongated shapes to have more edges meet
more resources per biomes, so it can sustain more population and reduce walkign distances
less free tiles other than badlands

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2019-07-30 23:12:30

ollj

i was hunting many rabbits in the easliest 4 hours, causing a baby boom in mccracken area, but it was also using 2 snares instead of one, in a rope-scarce area.
then i had naptime and then i only cared for tutorial town.

mccracken had the advantage of being somewhat isolated, surrounded by jungle and iron biome, they were doomed to be lowtech high population area, unable to get enough rope for progress.
not enough green, not enough milkweed, so it dispersed in my absence.

Last edited by ollj (2019-07-30 23:20:58)

Board footer