One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-16 00:18:03

antking:]#

what war looks like in OHOL

so a while back some one post a thread that lead me to the youtuber called WBsteve and while I don't remember who posted it on formus but I have been watching his videos and just to day he posted this (in my clock) and I think it paints a pretty bloody image at OHOL at its worst.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZQskV6nkgY
(I wasn't apart of this)

Last edited by antking:]# (2019-06-16 00:20:14)

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#2 2019-06-16 14:22:04

breezeknight

Re: what war looks like in OHOL

Jason Rohrer should have said from the beginning that his vision is to make another bloody violent multiplayer ala Castle Doctrine & not mumble about civifacation & parentheep
but maybe he just wanted to lure sheepy players to their slaughter, now who remains playing is either a streamer/youtuber or just loves to kill in every fucking game, no matter what the game is about, if there's killing included, it will be nothing but killing left

lol, what a griefing joke of a game

- - -

#3 2019-06-16 17:26:06

redbird

"You can't take our land that we took."

#4 2019-06-16 18:10:54

Guppy

breezeknight wrote:

Jason Rohrer should have said from the beginning that his vision is to make another bloody violent multiplayer ala Castle Doctrine & not mumble about civifacation & parentheep
but maybe he just wanted to lure sheepy players to their slaughter, now who remains playing is either a streamer/youtuber or just loves to kill in every fucking game, no matter what the game is about, if there's killing included, it will be nothing but killing left

lol, what a griefing joke of a game

- - -

Why are you so salty? The main focus of the game is still civilizationbuilding. Its okay to complain, but please keep it civil

#5 2019-06-17 01:35:17

RodneyC86

This is an interesting video in that probably a good number of the war babies are actually decent minded players who don't normally participate in war. I guess a good speech can rile up common folk into a frenzy.

It is not something that has not happened in recent human history.

Fascinating, but I hope these things are once in a blue moon sort of deal, as it should be

#6 2019-06-17 05:08:23

ollj

as for morality, this game initially parodies the old testament, and thats already just pathethic in terms of modern society standards and copmmon sense.
thankfully it then becomes more of a "walten" Henry-David-Thorough-analogy, where you can live as semi-heremite near a lake and ponder about pacifism, and somehow can build an airplane.
its a very abstract game after all, have fun with your roleplaying of vendettas, its usually all that remains longer than the ruins in this game.

by worst you mean best?
i was the four year old in the blue shirt on depature , was twentytwo on arrival, almost died of old age and quickly got reborn twice in the central fort.
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 794#p64794
i had no clue theere was a youtuber and i have not seen his video and PoV.

the "war babies" (i kinda coined the term for the absurdity of the situation) had a choice, to make perfectly fine settlements and roads and markings along the way instead.
by the time we were 12, and only 5 of us with weapons, half of them could have build a siege outpost instead.
we marched by a few perfectly fine base spots during 18 minutes of walking by foot.
the game has one issue here though, babies coult not communicate much aout any such plan and adults mostly improvised the situation.

what the video and screenshots show is an interesting group dynamic, the game shows a very strong will to not be alone, that often ends in suicidal behavior, unless you want to seed an outpost for rope.

Last edited by ollj (2019-06-17 05:18:57)

#7 2019-06-17 05:47:39

Whatever

a quote from here: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 419#p61419

jasonrohrer wrote:

But there's still a problem with bringing people together, because they'll just merge into an indistinguishable mush.  How do you care about your own family in that case?  I'm still working on this, but language and cursing and war are three reasons that "other families" aren't indistinguishable from your family.

But anyway, with those things in place, it was finally possible to bring people together in a way that was at least somehow meaningful.  Still working on it, of course.

Jason sees this interaction as "at least somehow meaningful"
If you group up together and go to another village to kill them for no other reason than killing them.
There is no real reason to attack another village, its just role playing war.

People now kill outsiders on sight, does this mean you care more about your own family?
Or does this just mean you dont trust outsiders anymore?

In short, killing other families is much more meaningful than working together with them.

#8 2019-06-17 06:13:07

WalrusesConquer

I've been in a war. Apparently the town had stolen our car. They sent all the men (even toddlers as medics) and we were Led by Anna a woman gone grey. When we reached their walls, they were in the middle of finishing it, so the walls were shaky.

Anna grabbed a sharp stone and rushed in. There was a frenzy to get to her, and they abandoned gaurding the walls. We all cane out from our hiding places, I was behind a tree,  and split up to look for our car.

There were so many screams that day. I tried to heal our soldiers but was stabbed.
And I watched as world me died.

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#9 2019-06-17 08:16:29

breezeknight

Guppy wrote:

Why are you so salty?

because OHOL offers a very unique idea - a multiplayer, true multiplayer, not coop, where people simulate life together as society
& Jason Rohrer just throws weapons into that sooner than he cares to add tools & options needed to organize civil life
civil as opposite to military
civil means peaceful >>> Civility
peace is the basis of civilization
every society ridden with violence, war, unrest, danger collapses as peaceful people flee, exactly what is hapenning since over half a year now with OHOL - most of the peaceful builders, most of the female players, most of the simulation players fled already, update after update, me included

why i am salty ?
because the game about civilization is dying & its father, Jason Rohrer is killing it systematically, io to twist it into a game about conflict, fears & phobias
i think meantime, after a year of struggle this game is in its final convulsions, there is nothing more left to build civilization in this game, because Jason Rohrer burned through all the players interested in this kind of game, who are potentially willing to put up with what it delivers

& i am salty because this gem of an idea is thrown out io to be replaced by the usual fighting stuff i can find in 99% of games, lol
multiplayers included, the majority of players just love to fight & kill, throwing OHOL under the bus of that majority is not going to increase OHOL'S player base, this game is mediocre at best as a fighting game, while its most precious content, this unique idea of a social multiplayer building game is shoved aside, is reduced to be just the prelude to the "actual game", to kill each other, lol
this game is now only good enough to make such a cut video as OP showed, a youtuber makes a video & moves on to play something else, lol

The main focus of the game is still civilizationbuilding. Its okay to complain, but please keep it civil

lol, what irony !

no idea what's your idea about "civilization", mine & the overwhelming majority's of humans doesn't include to build & craft only io to fight, kill, murder & go to war as the final & highest goal

the main focus of OHOL is not building, it's building & crafting io to make war, kill & destroy
building, crafting, being female & having babies is JUST means to another end - TO KILL

- - -

#10 2019-06-17 15:10:32

Joseph Stalin

I believe that society could only exist with threats, with violence, with the fact that you are more likely to die if you leave. if everything was peaceful there would be no reason to be in a society, you can pull your own weight.

#11 2019-06-17 17:35:49

jasonrohrer
Administrator

On Sunday, a very busy day, there were 6171 deaths, and only 211 murders.  97% of the deaths in the game were peaceful.

689 people lived to old age on Sunday.

Yes, 3x more people lived to old age (which is relatively rare, only 11%) compared to the number of people who were murdered.

The claim that the game is absolutely overrun by murder and war is false.

And yes, that video is great....

....as ONE facet of the game.

That should happen sometimes.  It should be one of the stories that is possible.

This game is meant to be an "infinite unique situation generator."  Not all those situations should be peaceful.  3% non-peaceful seems like an okay amount to me.

The fact that such invasions are totally preventable is also really important and ignored by everyone who complains about this.

#12 2019-06-17 17:48:46

WumboJumbo

jasonrohrer wrote:

On Sunday, a very busy day, there were 6171 deaths, and only 211 murders.  97% of the deaths in the game were peaceful.

Yes, 3x more people lived to old age (which is relatively rare, only 11%) compared to the number of people who were murdered.

That should happen sometimes.  It should be one of the stories that is possible.

This game is meant to be an "infinite unique situation generator."  Not all those situations should be peaceful.  3% non-peaceful seems like an okay amount to me.

The fact that such invasions are totally preventable is also really important and ignored by everyone who complains about this.

I’ll tell WBsteve you enjoyed the video!

#13 2019-06-17 17:51:26

Tipy

jasonrohrer wrote:

I think the problem is that well war is nothing more than a bunch of roleplayers or griefers, war would be cool to happen from time to time but well we have ZERO reason to go to war, if we had a reason to go to war there would have been wars even without the sword

Build bell towers not apocalypse towers

#14 2019-06-17 18:26:08

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, Tipy, I agree, and I'm still working on it.

I'm not trying to a make a roleplaying game, at all.

Swords were not added to encourage or enable war (despite their name), but as a way to differentiate between families during the "COME TOGETHER" update, which brought people close together for the first time in more than a year.

I do want there to be a reason, sometimes (rarely), that you would NEED to invade another village.  There is currently no real reason to do that, but there will be someday, hopefully.

#15 2019-06-17 19:43:03

MistressZues

jasonrohrer wrote:

There is currently no real reason to do that, but there will be someday, hopefully.

Everytime I've been apart of a family that chose to invade it was for a reason, due to lack of resources not enough Iron and no iron veins in sight or they had their oil and Diesel well already completed and we did not.

Check this out upvote if you agree!!! https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … heck_this/

#16 2019-06-17 19:56:29

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Well, that's good to hear.

#17 2019-06-17 20:17:44

CatX

jasonrohrer wrote:

Best way to prevent invasions is to kill all strangers in close proximity before they happen...

I've tried to adopt children, and someone in my family killed them "just to be safe".

I've seen my own family murder strangers who came visiting.

I don't see many families living peacefully together.

So the complaint is not that there's war all the time, not at all. Rather we (some of us at least) just feel there is no point in having strangers as a concept in the game at all if the only scenario they create is "kill or be killed or watch my family members kill my new friends." It's not a rich experience right now.

#18 2019-06-17 22:56:52

futurebird

The video is the kind of violence I don't mind much if it isn' the only thing that happens. It's interesting and lots of people are involved and invested.

Getting randomly stabbed or stabbed just because I have the wrong last name isn't as fun. The game seems a lot better in this respect since the last update but I've still been killed twice randomly for no real reason.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

Board footer