One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-23 13:36:51

futurebird

A different kind of leveling system.

If you want to be a smith you don't just start with smithing you start with gathering kindling, making charcoal, possibly getting iron. Basically, you have to do the work of the journeyman before you do the work of the master.

Smithing
Must chop, stack, cart 5 kindling before one can use the smith hammer.

Building
Must dig, split, cart 5 rocks before placing a stone wall.
Must make or dig 8 adobe and cart before making an adobe wall.

Driving
must make one tank of kerosine OR make 1 rubber tire before driving.

Baking
Must make 4 pie crusts before being able to add ingredients to pies.

IDK this might be annoying. But, I do wish that more people did their "homework" the more mundane tasks that make the fun tasks fun.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#2 2019-05-23 14:10:43

Guppy

Re: A different kind of leveling system.

Wouldnt this just make specialization harder for no reason and slow down process?

#3 2019-05-23 14:23:49

Spoonwood

I'm inclined to agree with Guppy on this one.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#4 2019-05-23 15:50:18

Potjeh

You can forget diesel engines if this is implemented.

#5 2019-05-23 15:59:26

futurebird

OK it's not the best idea, I just get frustrated with spending so many lives doing the ground work: gathering kindling, iron, wood, making charcoal and NEVER getting to build the engine myself. Whenever the stuff is there someone who can work faster than me is dominating the project, or worse I start working and people jump in and just smelt random stuff or take the supplies I've gathered.

Mostly there are no supplies and I gather them so someone else in the next gen can build.

I just wanna do the fun part for once.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#6 2019-05-23 17:11:15

wondible

futurebird wrote:

Whenever the stuff is there someone who can work faster than me is dominating the project,

I hear you. The town is either out of food or having fundamental issues, has no iron, or someone is already in the forge. I've been spending most of my time on a private server lately to catch up on engines, radios, clothes, ice cream, etc.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#7 2019-05-23 22:45:04

pein

yeah i had this many times
and im ok to support a mediocre smith
truth is im faster than 90% of people i meet, and i can read what they try to do, so i can help
others "help" is sometimes just covering me, smashign some of the iron but not the other, firing up kiln and going to eat
generally more of a waste of time and resources than actual help
then the people who never get kindling but take your charcoal

so often times im forced to do al lprep work and let others do it, but then at least be decent enough to fire up like 5 iron with a fire and don't do duplicate tools

i ahd a life where a 2 year odl kid stood in front of the kiln and even later i couldn't send hi maway cause he decided that he is a smith
now this is ok, but you don't need a smith when you got no iron, and not a good idea to have a bad smith when the tools are important to rush it
the first set of tools is vital to be made in a good order, fast, then is still an issue not to make 8 picks, 3 files and 5 saws
cause i rarely see any saw or file break, and not keeping tools in sight but making new is like griefing
when you got steel rod, you already got a roller
when you got saw, you must have a file
sure you make new if cant find it but then ask someone at least

i call them roleplay smiths, and they generally smith without iron, smith one iron per fire

the worst i seen was that kid, and a woman teamed up and prevented my work
ad wasted all my kindling
when i told that he should rather get kindling ,he told me that i do that cause he is a smith
i chopped everything i seen to kindling and filled every single tile until he couldn't put down his tongs in a range of 10
then they still didn't get the message so i had to kill them to be able to smith in a normal way, not wasting 2 people and 1 kindling for 1 iron at a time
i get that you want to learn it just wait for an appropriate moment and ask help and permission
outforcing someone from a job is just griefing

also is vital part of smithing to get your kindling and water
i would expect that is logical that if you want to help, you get it for the more experienced smith, not that you expect that he gets it for you

but basically a whole game is like this
while it would be logical that newer players do the prep work for veterans
is actually reverse, where mediocre players make a slave out of veterans, leach on resources, steal horses from them and even curse and kill them if they got problem with it

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer