One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-22 20:54:42

futurebird

I would become pro-fence if:

-you could quickly add a whole family to a gate
-when you add people or families to a fence you got a chime sound like you do with curses-- so you know you did it correctly
-the fence material decayed

I have found fences really useful for keeping out bears and mosquitos and other wild beasts. It's very hard to kite a bear in to a fenced area so they make that old form of griefing less effective. And as I mentioned before they make towns much more tidy if just a few people are committed to taking all of the trash out of the fence and making everything inside organized.

I think they may deter theft. No idea if they help with invaders, but the other reasons are enough to make them useful.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#2 2019-05-22 20:57:46

Dodge

Re: I would become pro-fence if:

And if fences could be connected to gate and only decay when the gate decays.

Fence material will decay in upcoming update.

#3 2019-05-22 20:57:48

Guppy

The fence material does decay, jason patched that yesterday i believe

#4 2019-05-22 20:58:50

Dodge

And see the full list of gate owners somehow.

edit: maybe use tab to go trough list.

Last edited by Dodge (2019-05-22 20:59:28)

#5 2019-05-22 21:01:37

Tarr
Banned

Bears are generally hard to lure anyways because at some point he changed something where they'll just occasionally decide to not follow. The same behavior can be seen with other animals where they'll act out of behavior (follow animals running the opposite, flee animals running directly at you.)

Fences material decay now but unless your city is being smart you can still be blocked in by raiders or feral eves so I don't really subscribe to the thought that fences are good for deterring people unless they're the type to not try anyways.

fug it’s Tarr.

#6 2019-05-22 21:55:41

lychee

The name of this topic XD

For me, personally I don’t like the magical-ness of fences. Opening a fence gate makes intuitive sense unless it’s locked — and I’ve hopped fences all the time in the past.

So I’d personally prefer to see other means of accomplishing what fences do in OHOL.

#7 2019-05-22 22:02:24

futurebird

I just had a pretty good life in a town with a bow safe. I slowly added people to it and put all of the bows in there. I either melted knives or gave them to responsible-seeming people. We had a LOT of eves coming by our town so some of the time someone would die of old age with a sword on them (WHY???) so the fenced area was good to stash those too until I could get them in safe hands.

Our town was visited by 4 eves. 1 was evil and stole my little girl! But she got away and came home!

I think maybe she thought it was her kid since we looked identical and I had the child right next to her. I wonder what it was like to have this baby who you can't always understand, but she understand you?

I was glad the bows were locked up.

I think its better if you are Eve and want to risk going to a town to show up with a baby in your arms. The baby can help break the ice.

I'm also not thrilled with "fence magic" I kinda think there should be a way to break them with enough people and effort. But, I adapt.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#8 2019-05-23 10:25:35

pein

yeaha best would be smashing like 100 times with a stone to break it
boring enough
but then ability to upgrade to adobe andstone to increase it to 500 or 2000 smashes
if they break trough they deserve it

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#9 2019-05-23 11:27:16

wondible

pein wrote:

but then ability to upgrade to adobe andstone to increase it to 500 or 2000 smashes
if they break trough they deserve it

I've actually thought that fences should function as stakes, so they can be upgraded in-place to more permanent walls. Caveat may be upgrading it from the outside and then using that wall's method to destroy. That may also be an advantage, since I thought the main point of fences was easier to build early, not necessarily to be unremovable.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#10 2019-05-23 12:15:52

Booklat1

lychee wrote:

The name of this topic XD

For me, personally I don’t like the magical-ness of fences. Opening a fence gate makes intuitive sense unless it’s locked — and I’ve hopped fences all the time in the past.

So I’d personally prefer to see other means of accomplishing what fences do in OHOL.

pretty much

weeks working with fences and buildings being quickly meddled with, as i feared.

gates are the lamest, most overpowered thing in the game and fences causes pens to be rushed incredibly fast effectively speeding civs to sheep era, ending early game. Terrible mechanic with greatly overlooked consequences. Yes i'ts more viable, less messy now, but only because Jason is hellbent on justifying his toy.

Buildings as shelter are much more important to society than property fences to stop others from stealing your twigs.

#11 2019-05-23 13:08:55

SpiritBomb32

What if there's a family gate that requires two ropes and just automatically adds your family to it and anymore that are born.

- "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."
Add books, please Jason.

Board footer