One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-16 06:05:22

Grim_Arbiter

The need for more characters and races

I was not in the strong opinion that we needed more various appearances of characters immediately but now i think we do. I know Jason plans to add more as a cosmetic thing, but if this is the new way with family races we NEED at least two more races and more character models for gameplay reasons.

Last life I was born into a ginger family that coincided with a Latin family. We got along pretty well, other than my cousin being mean and trying to teach a Latin boy that our word for dirt was pu**y. Everyone was on edge regardless and we all recognized one another by looks. One of my other cousins was a newer player who was only wearing rabbit pants that someone probably put on her as a baby, even though there were clothes lying about. She was in the bakery baking and i decide to help her. I go to get wheat and she isn't there when I come back. I start baking anyways.

All of the sudden a ginger with the same face wearing only rabbit pants walks into the bakery with a bow and shoots me down. I get pretty pissed and got to type out "curse eve blank" and hit enter when i realize.. wait wtf thats an eve?!?

she got immediately swarmed by three of my family members with weapons and got put down right after me. I was her only victim, but the reason she was even able to get to the bakery at all whit everyone actually alert, was because she looked like my cousin EXACTLY down to the race, face, and outfit.

TLDR

I'm saying we need more variation because the new griefing meta is to blend in because its easy

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#2 2019-05-16 06:47:51

pein

Re: The need for more characters and races

he could just randomize all the eyes and mouths of all characters
maybe the hairstyles, with some simple changes: black people can be dark ginger tone or the blonde would be brownish
and hispanics would have black hair mixed to any of it

or a whole set of new hairstyles for each race, so your face would be a combination of sprites and the hairs random from your race hair pallet

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#3 2019-05-16 07:48:00

Grim_Arbiter

pein wrote:

he could just randomize all the eyes and mouths of all characters
maybe the hairstyles, with some simple changes: black people can be dark ginger tone or the blonde would be brownish
and hispanics would have black hair mixed to any of it

or a whole set of new hairstyles for each race, so your face would be a combination of sprites and the hairs random from your race hair pallet

Id go with that if it could keep the same sense of care that the other faces took.

I could imagine some Frankensteins coming out.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#4 2019-05-16 08:16:45

BladeWoods

Randomizing faces has a big problem with unnatural looks and things that clip. That generated emotes already show this problem. Any of the guys with facial hair have that hair going into or blocking their mouths when they smile or make other expressions.

#5 2019-05-16 09:04:09

Guppy

I actually wouldnt mind some people that got some bad luck rolling the genetic lottery running around. Would the mother even raise them? Would they be exiled from town? Would they become outcast only to later come back and take their revenge?

Also, since were talking and comparing alot about rust on this forum, the random character generator in rust messes up too sometimes. My own character is a super ugly short black dude with a gigant nose. I really dont mind. It adds so much to the game

#6 2019-05-16 10:16:46

Amon

Jason already explained the issues with swapping elements.
But yeah the lightest and darkest people will have to be completed and each skin tone expanded 2x to compensate for the lessned diversity.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#7 2019-05-16 10:30:47

pein

dunno, the only problem i see if the center of faces arent the same but gonna swap some hairs to see this in action

didn't messed much with facial hairs as i don't want to ruin games by testing sprites in bigserver and rather born as an eve to see if it's working, looking good as adult, as you see the adult hairs the most
so obviously females are easier to test, i guess in editor you can do similar things but just dropping the sprites as layers in photoshop and resizing a bald woman to size (i think is 76 pixel per inch so slightly bigger ingame than the sprite on my resolution)

but the solution is easy: if port male nose/mouth, port the facial hair with it

some might look worse but still a bit different

quick mockup
tj7XEIz.pngbQMEfjn.pngyz59rYs.png
'

the body was the brown chick, the eyes from the spanish chick (without eyebrows) and the hair from the blonde
ofc would work if i mix the actual sprites not just cut left and right, the difference is subtle
the hairs would make more difference if more styles are present

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2019-05-16 15:49:10

Grim_Arbiter

Oh man that girl looks like she has seen of stuff.. like war.

She looks like she could be Michael Punch's wife to me haha.

--Grim

#9 2019-05-16 15:50:50

jasonrohrer
Administrator

More characters are coming soonish...

#10 2019-05-16 15:52:41

Solbusaur

jasonrohrer wrote:

More characters are coming soonish...

How many? I want so many new playermodels right now

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#11 2019-05-16 15:53:29

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Well, they do take time to draw.

#12 2019-05-16 15:54:39

MultiLife

I would love to have randomness take place when I'm born, will I be 'ugly', will I have a big nose, will I have frizzy hair, will I have a resting b---- face or a maniac smile, will I be the most cutest thing I ever saw? This would entertain me forever as pieces get added to the pools and I wouldn't have to wait for characters to be added as there are so many to roll. And each baby would feel way more unique and personal. I'd draw the funny results of randomized people.

What if...
Eves were pre-made fully designed characters and others mixed and matched from pools so that the face follows a functional structure?
This way we would get random faces that attach to heads correctly (from pools) and Jason would have his 'recognizable characters' who are the "braid lady" or "curly hair man" ones now?
And then add Adams who are the current fully designed male characters.

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-05-16 16:00:08)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#13 2019-05-16 15:55:03

Twisted

A and F skin tones are currently dominating, as they have a 2/3 chance of giving birth to a girl. I've only played in A and F villages since the update, and I've barely seen the other skin tones.

#14 2019-05-16 16:00:37

Grim_Arbiter

Twisted wrote:

A and F skin tones are currently dominating, as they have a 2/3 chance of giving birth to a girl. I've only played in A and F villages since the update, and I've barely seen the other skin tones.

Can +1

--Grim

Board footer