One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-07 04:24:08

NIKS YMNI GNIL WARK

suggestion - rivers/oceans and other biomes

if we had a water biome than it could fix the water issues and add new animals tech and natural resources.

A. if lakes was to be implemented it would fix the water shortages and make complex sustainable civilization possible.
some more in-depth ideas for the water could be:
A1. make it salt water and, a small surrounding biome. to stop it from being super important.
B1. drowning if you go in it or getting hypothermia(cold basically). so travel is hrd
C1. mass flooding within the each micro-biome so stuff gets destroyed or lost. maybe a warning like heavy rain on the map or make it a one in one hundred chance every year. I think this would be possible on the world map because parts of biomes change often.

or replace the ponds completely?

moar? like animals and tech or river ideas?
or do you disagree?

Last edited by NIKS YMNI GNIL WARK (2018-03-07 07:10:35)

#2 2018-03-07 05:00:32

Twinsen

Re: suggestion - rivers/oceans and other biomes

If you have understand Jason's philosophy from his article Everything Runs Out, lack of water is a feature of the game. However, I think that if we have Sea & Shore biomes instead, those water can't be drank directly but this may open up more options for survival.

http://onehouronelife.com/newsPage.php

#3 2018-03-07 06:16:19

NIKS YMNI GNIL WARK

after thinking over it i think that oceans would be better beacas you get more tec and things but it also fits gameplay wise to.

#4 2018-03-07 11:41:25

hawklander

i think that oceans would be a good idea it could enable fishing,salt farming(for preservative maybe?) water purification and act a natural barrier

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
                   Builder, Explorer, Farmer and was eaten by a bear.

#5 2018-03-07 13:09:49

ned

I could only see oceans or rivers working if there were obvious drawbacks to using them in farming. Otherwise it ruins the scarcity of water. For instance, if you used ocean water for crops, you might ruin your tilled row due to hypersalinity. Could be fixed with salt purifiers?

Rivers would certainly be interesting. Would that create an impassable barrier though? Would you have a "wet" modifier if you decided to pass through it, which could increase hunger depletion when cold?

Granted, its something to think about that pretty much every successful ancient civilization was placed next to a river or ocean.

Well buenos-ding-dong-doodly-dias!

#6 2019-04-05 02:40:04

Deleted User

I love the idea of having oceans with salt water that seperate entire biomes. You could travel them with rafts (or, if more advanced, small boats that can carry cargo) and you could nets to fish. On the coastline, harbors would be possible where boats can be docked (and marked as property according to Jason's Midnight Plan).

#7 2019-04-05 03:30:16

futurebird

This could create an island version of the game where everything REALLY runs out and you gotta get that raft tech going or you will starve on you little island. But, other islands could be hard to find, or might have people on them who are not thrilled to see you. That could be a lot of fun.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#8 2019-04-05 04:04:26

antking:]#

futurebird wrote:

This could create an island version of the game where everything REALLY runs out and you gotta get that raft tech going or you will starve on you little island. But, other islands could be hard to find, or might have people on them who are not thrilled to see you. That could be a lot of fun.

this would be even better if every island was their own biome...

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#9 2019-04-05 04:53:14

Deleted User

antking:]# wrote:
futurebird wrote:

this would be even better if every island was their own biome...

Then rafts need to be very simple to craft, though. I cannot seriously imagine a small island where a whole bunch of properties from different biomes is compressed into one another, so that you could technically even found a village on it. It also depends on the size of the island, respectively what is still considered an island by the generator and what a landmass surrounded by oceans.

Beaches with coconut palms and reed sound like a good idea here. You open the coconuts with a sharp stone and craft rafts with reed and shafts. To really highlight the primitive character of them, their speed should be reduced to 75% (real "boats" could then built with two butt logs and an adze to craft logboats) so that it rather stays an option to escape islands and if there is no other option left.

#10 2019-04-05 06:45:22

Guppy

We already have the loom, could use that to make the sails for ships

#11 2019-04-05 08:08:09

Amon

Rivers were great for farming. Amazing even.

The function for depleting water in a moving body maybe rather complex.

However what if river auto waters nearby crops and brings fertile soil at a catch that it floods and ruins harvest every consistent amount of minutes. People are already not very attentive when it comes to crops.
This would require multiple farmers to harvest the land in time before the flood ruins everythg.

Rivers can be depleted to such a point that the lake at the end dries up.
Rivers can be poluted. Image living south of a village that istarted to process skins and dyeing.
Your village will suffer some pollution from water and disease depending on the cummulative severity.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#12 2019-04-05 08:11:27

Deleted User

Problem is that OHOL doesn't know slopes. In what direction is the water supposed to flow? The only solution is to provide tiles for the river but that's somewhat unaesthetic and unrealistic.

Also, I really dislike the idea of rivers as watery source because it violates Jason's idea of finite resources.

Board footer