One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-11-12 01:23:38

pein

Re: Berry farms CAN BE TOO BIG - important for new players!

Starknight_One wrote:
pein wrote:

you need to keep carrot out of pen

They're not in the pen, they're in the fortress. The pen is the small enclosure in the upper left corner.

The pen entrances to the main area are to keep random wildlife out.

Or are you talking to someone else?

hard to see in letters

my pen setup is O shape berry farms with every second tile blocked and every second bush missing so basically just a grid of berries
then you can let out one sheep with grave/door shear and kill outside

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#27 2018-11-12 01:35:45

Starknight_One

MultiLife wrote:

Curious. I'll keep an eye out for these, could be a project to do some day, when I feel like I'm up for a new challenge!

Well I haven't built any of them yet. It's just theorycrafting at this point. I'll need to be born into a fairly advanced village to be able to abscond with the resources needed to build one. Either that, or get lucky with my children as an Eve.

(See, I'm a big LOTR geek. So this design is what I call my 'Marchwarden's camp', after the flets the Marchwardens of Lothlorien had built in the trees along the edge of the Golden Wood. Since we can't build *in* a tree, I decided to set it up as a room made of trees.)

The idea is that a civilization could build these near concentrations of resources that are useful - like, say, an extensive savannah with many rabbits - and then people going to snare rabbits would have a place to eat and process their catch. I've also toyed with the idea of tiling them together - if you connect 4 of them at the entry points in a square, it creates a sort of cruciform room in between them as well.

The blocking terrain could literally be anything - stove bases, fences, whatever. I put 'tree' above because I like the idea of a perennial source of branches so I never have to worry about finding them for kindling or tools. Plus having maple leaves and juniper tinder helps if your fire goes out. And everything inside can be shifted around. Put two of them together, do all your farming in one and put your sheep in the second. Make a cluster of four, farm two, cook in the middle, smith in one and put woodworking in the other.

Early designs had many more berry bushes... but looking at the numbers, I decided it was better to keep them to a minimum. Newbies may freak out, but it might also be a good way to teach them the value of diversifying food intake and therefore production.

#28 2018-11-12 03:01:15

Starknight_One

pein wrote:

hard to see in letters

my pen setup is O shape berry farms with every second tile blocked and every second bush missing so basically just a grid of berries
then you can let out one sheep with grave/door shear and kill outside

Is this better?

outpost in colors

The one on the right is my attempt to shrink it to better fit in your field of view in-game. It's a bit cramped to my mind, though.

#29 2018-11-12 14:55:19

wondible

I was reminded of this thread in a recent life.

Berrytown

Tried to get stew crops going, but got interrupted by kids for a long time. Cooked a lot of omelettes with eggs and plates that were lying around, but food was usually pretty scarce. I had one uncooked stew pot before I walked off to die, don't know if that was enough given the state of the great berry field.

Actually... no. My infant great grandson was the end of the line.

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=1388644

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#30 2018-11-12 16:37:08

MultiLife

wondible wrote:

I was reminded of this thread in a recent life.

(pic)

Tried to get stew crops going, but got interrupted by kids for a long time. Cooked a lot of omelettes with eggs and plates that were lying around, but food was usually pretty scarce. I had one uncooked stew pot before I walked off to die, don't know if that was enough given the state of the great berry field.

Actually... no. My infant great grandson was the end of the line.

Goodness, what a sight. Berry town sounds like a happy place, but little did the newbies know...

Yeah, it's a clear bottleneck what happens when newbies only know berries. Compost will eventually cut off and population booms caused by moms who keep everyone will end a town. Add dry wells to that and it's a dead end.

It's not really anyone's fault, everyone is thinking they are doing a good thing. It's just not so clear when to leave your comfort zone as a newbie; how could you know that "now's the time to learn to compost" when you don't even know compost exists?

Well, it will go up from here. Slowly, but it will. Players who want to learn, stay.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

Board footer