One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-15 22:25:16

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Food stats are live

There's a new hourly food logging system in place which helps us to understand where people's calories are coming from.  The report is live here:

http://onehouronelife.com/foodStats.php

If people are leaning on one food too hard, this log will help me notice that and adjust food values to compensate.

#2 2018-01-02 12:34:10

yvanhooe

Re: Food stats are live

I think it is broken. It has not changed in a while (and I ate a lot more carrots and rabbits than that!)

#3 2018-01-02 16:28:33

jasonrohrer
Administrator

It updates on a 5-minute delay.... hmmm.... I'm testing it now on this end.

#4 2018-01-02 16:56:15

yvanhooe

Nope same as 10 hours ago. And also the stats on the main page saying

"2419 lives lived for a total of 202.22 hours
70 people lived past age fifty-five
3 generations in longest family line"

do not update either.

#5 2018-01-02 17:03:12

jasonrohrer
Administrator

You're right!  Will fix it.

#6 2018-01-02 17:32:08

yvanhooe

It seems fixed! It made me discover that domestic berries are actually 4 cal, I never noticed that.

I did not count how much it was when I ate the pie (8 according to the stats). Which makes me wonder of the point of making a pie: it is a lot of work and we end up wasting berries, as it takes a whole bush for a pie but it only gives energy corresponding to two berries.

How about the pie being a container and we would only eat a part of it each time?

#7 2018-01-02 17:42:51

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Okay, for the food log, the server only spits out updated stats once per hour.  So it's on a one hour delay.  That makes it a little hard to test, but I'll make sure it's working when the next hour passes.

The life stats are definitely broken.  Working on a fix now....

#8 2018-01-02 18:47:15

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, partial pie consumption is coming.

Turns out there was a bug in the cron jobs that were preventing the food stats from updating.  It's actually working now.

Still working on the life stats...

#9 2018-01-02 19:12:31

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Okay, all of this stuff is fixed now.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

#10 2019-09-11 07:00:01

Morti

Psilocybe Mushroom is named "Psilocybe Mushroom# remapStart"

38486AL.png

Also some headers would be nice for the columns, like Name Uses Food Provided.

8bepqmt.png

#11 2019-09-11 07:23:51

DestinyCall

Most of the stats are pretty obvious.  Lost of berries, lots of meat pies, lots of stew .. not very much chips/salsa or french fries/ketchup or mushrooms.    But I'm kind of surprised that milk and saurkraut aren't very high on the list.      Must be the higher tech requirement and additional steps compared with mass pie production.   

Plus, I find that many people don't register buckets as food.

#12 2019-09-11 07:24:29

HimitsuGato

5,559,676 lives lived for a total of 1,012 hours

Not quite all is right yet.

#13 2019-09-11 08:11:06

FeverDog

It's hard for the casual player to know what's edible and what isn't.  For example, I've been playing since well before the cow addition but I just learned this week that you can get milk into a clay bowl and eat it.  For a while, you couldn't eat onions but now you can.  But there are plenty of veggies you can't eat.  I only learned just now from this list that you can eat a Shucked Ear of Corn.  I am surprised that Bowl of Gooseberries and Cooked Mutton aren't higher though.

#14 2019-09-11 09:36:37

Amon

Perhaps the tutorial should improve on the yumming information and offer alternatives to simply berry bushes.
Maybe offer a different food on each station. perhaps even teaching you how to make stew down the line.

It's kinda disheartening to see some ok foods just neglected like that. French fries are easy to make, but apparently they're not eaten so much. Everything eclipses under the berries!
Wish we knew how much of a % of those berries were eaten in basic camps vs outside exploration vs in towns. Ideally for towns it should be twice any other food. Provided everyone is yumming heh.

Last edited by Amon (2019-09-11 09:38:40)

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#15 2019-09-11 10:11:32

sigmen4020

Amon wrote:

Perhaps the tutorial should improve on the yumming information and offer alternatives to simply berry bushes.
Maybe offer a different food on each station. perhaps even teaching you how to make stew down the line.

It's kinda disheartening to see some ok foods just neglected like that. French fries are easy to make, but apparently they're not eaten so much. Everything eclipses under the berries!
Wish we knew how much of a % of those berries were eaten in basic camps vs outside exploration vs in towns. Ideally for towns it should be twice any other food. Provided everyone is yumming heh.

French fries are easy to make that’s true, but one of the things that hold french fries as well as tortilla chips back is the need for palm oil. This is especially an issue now considering how rare jungle biomes have become. One other downside to requiring palm oil is that you effectively use two kindling to make the fries. You need one to make palm oil in the oven, and one to have the simmering palm oil, to then finally make the French fries.

I do see French fries from time to time, but they’re mostly raw. One of the big problems with the newer foods is how many ressources they require. This is not as much of a thing for French fries as the rest but there is a pattern.

Every time you make sugar/vinegar you need a second bowl available to dump the bagasse in.

You need a lot of bowls to make tortilla chips worthwhile, same with ketchup(fun fact: to make one bowl of ketchup you need at least 4 bowls at your disposal, mainly because of bagasse) and salsa.

You need plates for the French fries.

You need a lot of skewers for shrimp.

As a result of this requirement of pottery, I usually make the town more bowls and plates, depending on what food I plan on making as to not take from the towns (usually limited) pottery supply.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2019-09-11 10:15:03)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#16 2019-09-11 15:52:28

DestinyCall

Unfortunately, a large number of the foods in OHOL are just not that great from a resource/time/labor perspective.   They take too long to make and do not provide enough benefit or they are hard to store in large quantities because they take up lots of space or use up lots of pottery.

We could use more rich foods that can be made in the crockpot as stationary food in the village.   And more pip-dense, multi-bite foods, like pies, which provide compact and stowable food for the hungry man on the go.   The majority of bowl/plate foods cannot be stowed in your backpack and they are not very filling.   Many foods, even highly processed foods, do not provide as much hunger relief as a good meat pie.   Milk is one of the best foods in terms of resource-consumption, but buckets are always so limited that I don't think I've ever come across a village that has ample milk reserves or even one where many people drink milk.  Also, buckets of milk end up being wasted, because most people ignore them unless they witness someone else drinking milk, even if you place the bucket in a high traffic area.   And you cannot return milk to the bucket after it is drawn out.   Many crops end up being "trashy", like bean plants with dry beans scattered everywhere or sugarcane and bowls of bassage.   You can now eat onions and tomatoes raw, but they are not that good to eat as a primary food since they cost too much to produce.   You would be better off eating gooseberries or carrots.    Worse yet, you can't consolidate them into a bowl, like gooseberries, so a large tomato farm can produce a HUGE crop of tomatoes that will blanket your town in red golf balls. Turning the tomaotes into salsa doesn't really help, since using tomatoes for salsa is even more wasteful and also occupies a bowl (or plate, if you get interrupted).   

Part of the problem is a lack of efficient storage options.   We need shelves or tables that can hold more than four items.  On the Community Crucible modded server, they have added a "big shelf" that allows storage of up to nine medium-sized items on a single big shelf (baskets, clothes, etc).    This allows efficient storage and space consolidation, so if someone decides to spend their whole life farming onions, the village doesn't drown under the waves of raw vegetables being produced by their farm.

#17 2019-09-11 15:53:13

Booklat1

Guys, I think there's something wrong with the stats

For example, take a look at yesterday's data on berries: 28301 berries were eaten and they were equivalent to 84903 calories/pips.

Well, that's what in the graph but in reality all berries get a +2 bonus from the server, totaling 5 food each. I don't think the food stats are taking that into account.

This has, of course, statistical consequences. Low pip foods should have a much higher adjusted calorie total than high pip foods now.

I'll check if this applies to other foods

#18 2019-09-11 16:00:17

Booklat1

It does also apply to cooked rabbits so I'm assuming all data here is indeed not considering the server bonus.

For a comparison if we adjust the values of cooked rabbits and berries eaten yesterday it would be 8330 and 141505 respectively.

Thus berries would have an increase of 66.6% of their current value in the graph and rabbits 25%.

Can we please have this updated to the real stats?

#19 2019-09-11 16:43:10

DestinyCall

Also, something to keep in mind, these stats are apparently cumulative across all servers, not just bigserver2.   

This isn't necessarily important, since the majority of the servers have a very low population.   But, it does have the potential to be relevant when making certain comparisons - like during the eight-day hell arc, there were still some people eating highly processed foods, like ice cream and salsa, but they might have been playing on a low pop server.

#20 2019-09-11 16:59:39

Whatever

For the past month:

How often it gets consumed: (not pips)
YfoNWOG.png

(image made with: https://www.meta-chart.com/pie#)

Last edited by Whatever (2019-09-11 17:07:26)

#21 2019-09-11 17:46:59

DestinyCall

Way too many carrot eaters on that chart.  Leave the carrots for composting!   

Eat more meat pies, people!

#22 2019-09-11 19:59:42

miskas

An interesting parametre to be add would be to differentiate wild berries and domestic berries to different items so we can have a better analysis on this and get rid of the "noise" of wild berries.

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#23 2019-09-11 20:15:40

Saolin

That is a LOT of berries, lol

#24 2019-09-12 01:16:32

DestinyCall

Saolin wrote:

That is a LOT of berries, lol

Maybe we shouldn't upset the berry munchers.   They clearly outnumber us.

#25 2019-09-12 03:27:00

pein

would be nice to see some change

i was excited for cartitas until i remembered it's still not viable for long term especially inside rift

jason, if you like rust so much why not implement the good stuff from it? like airdrop some resources on timed manned, maybe even time limited to pick it up, then would make sense to focus on other stuff, like bean burritos or carnitas

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer