One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-12 16:57:59

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Late village life is really good right now

I just lived an amazing, challenging life in a late-stage village.

I was in Generation 35 in the Pie family.

We were running out of water, and scraping the ponds dry to keep the berries alive.  Running out of food periodically, and people scrambling to stay alive.  Then the ponds refill a bit, and they get a little reprieve, but not for long.

When I was born, they already had the diesel pump installed, but no oil.

I asked around, and my aunt said she was working on it to the north, and she needed me to bring a firebrand to help.

There was a road to another well to the north, but that one was empty too.  The oil drill was further north, off the road (too far to easily extend the road just yet), so you had to remember where it was.  I helped fire the drill, but no luck.  We needed more pipes to keep going.

So I spent the rest of my life trying to get stuff together to make pipe, which was all the more challenging because I needed to scrape full buckets of water from near-empty ponds one bowl at a time.  Also, necessary equipment and ingredients kept going missing in the chaos of village life.

We were almost out of food while I was doing this, and an aging woman took me to the south where she had property.  There was a small farm down there with a bit of food left, and some charcoal and water.  Salvation!  She gave me ownership, and I used this as my base while I tried to save the village via oil.  Obviously, in this situation, sharing that last bit of food with the rest of the village would have doomed us all.

I finally made three pipes and took them up there.  First firing, no oil.  My life was almost over, and I was hearing the final music.  I made it back to the drill again with charcoal and water, but when I went to light the firebrand at the northern well outpost, I found that the fire had died to hot coals, and there was no kindling.  I rushed back to town for kindling, returned to light the fire, and took the firebrand further north to the drill.  I died of hunger at age 58, just as I fired the drill one last time.  I didn't live to see whether I had struck oil or not on that final drilling.

My life was interesting, challenging, and had a purpose.

#2 2019-05-12 17:06:37

Léonard

Re: Late village life is really good right now

When do we get to go further than this "late village" stage, though?

#3 2019-05-12 17:19:13

Dodge

Nice!

I was in that village, made the loom left of the sheep pen, could have started the oil rig but i wanted to "test" the sword and brought a horse to go find other villages, didn't find any unfortunately so i brought the horse back, there wasn't many people left when i came back but my twin daughters where still alive, the only two fertile woman at that moment.

Good to see that the game is taking an interesting direction and that late game is getting more challenging.

#4 2019-05-12 17:20:03

futurebird

I agree that it's improved, Jason. I still think there may be a few too many ponds in the clusters, and the new scarcity of milkweed ... isn't really adding much IMO? I mean just let us gather it? Rabbits are better, not too many anymore. But, the abundant milkweed was really nice. You still needed to farm it, but not to the point that it was a chore.

But, please let us make swords back in to steel rods. It's no fun when someone boinks your rods with a hammer and makes them useless.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#5 2019-05-12 17:33:09

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

We were almost out of food while I was doing this, and an aging woman took me to the south where she had property.  There was a small farm down there with a bit of food left, and some charcoal and water.  Salvation!  She gave me ownership, and I used this as my base while I tried to save the village via oil.  Obviously, in this situation, sharing that last bit of food with the rest of the village would have doomed us all.

Nope.  That woman could have produced more if she hadn't made the property.  The rope is a bucket, say for milk.  Also, I doubt that you used up all closeby springs.  That's really late for a diesel engine.  And making a diesel engine before oil just isn't good to begin with.  Your experience doesn't tell much about late village life in general, more like a late village life with inferior players.

Three pipes?  Are you that slow are using the roller and bore Jason, or was the family out of iron?

Oh hey... a loom before oil also.  Making that also consumed water earlier that could have gotten used to get oil up.  And a sword.  I don't blame Dodge for 'testing' it, but it does indicate a problem, since he was clearly NOT playing for his lineage there, when you experienced the water crisis later because of him NOT playing for the sake of his lineage.  Really, Dodge's comment should clue you in that this update worked AGAINST the goal of people playing for their lineages.  Oh... and Dodge was a woman, wasting water and wanting to go to war.  Fertile women dying doesn't contribute to lineages also.

The abundant resources had an aesthetic effect that was more pleasing.  As someone else said it made it feel like you were out in the wilderness instead of in some picked over teenage wasteland (alright, the person I've parphrased... I think it's Psykout... didn't say 'teenage wasteland').

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#6 2019-05-12 17:43:45

Amon

It would be worth to compare that life with other lives in a similar tech advancement stage if it really is true or just a lucky shot among many-a-mundane lives.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#7 2019-05-12 18:06:17

SomeDude

Spoonwood wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

Nope.  That woman could have produced more if she hadn't made the property.  The rope is a bucket, say for milk.  Also, I doubt that you used up all closeby springs.  That's really late for a diesel engine.  And making a diesel engine before oil just isn't good to begin with.  Your experience doesn't tell much about late village life in general, more like a late village life with inferior players.

Three pipes?  Are you that slow are using the roller and bore Jason, or was the family out of iron?

Oh hey... a loom before oil also.  Making that also consumed water earlier that could have gotten used to get oil up.  And a sword.  I don't blame Dodge for 'testing' it, but it does indicate a problem, since he was clearly NOT playing for his lineage there, when you experienced the water crisis later because of him NOT playing for the sake of his lineage.  Really, Dodge's comment should clue you in that this update worked AGAINST the goal of people playing for their lineages.  Oh... and Dodge was a woman, wasting water and wanting to go to war.  Fertile women dying doesn't contribute to lineages also.

The abundant resources had an aesthetic effect that was more pleasing.  As someone else said it made it feel like you were out in the wilderness instead of in some picked over teenage wasteland (alright, the person I've parphrased... I think it's Psykout... didn't say 'teenage wasteland').

Spoonwood, I get you love to keep things running in lineages and be as efficient as possible. My only issue is that you are rude to others make things for fun things (or evil things whichever one) that don't really help too much overall. (Take what I say with a pinch of salt, I am surely not the best player here and also I like how you call people "inferior players" over not being too efficient with water.) Sorry if this is phrased in a mean/rude way btw

Corn is the holy crop of the people
1 water = 5 corn, 1 corn = 1 milk bucket, 1 milk bucket = 120 pips. (or 80 pips with cream.) 1 water bowl = 120 pips. 1 water bowl = 35 pips. (7 evil berries)
Always make corn farms, not evil puny noob berry farm.

#8 2019-05-12 18:32:08

Sukallinen

Spoonwood wrote:

Gj SomeDude.

Other: seconded that make milkweed like jackpot(as ponds), now it's again very rare so using so much water to them, when ppl come from hiatus, is a real trouble with current semi-early water shortage.

Also, is this forum non-modifiable, I'd like +1/-1 for each post to be available, I am lengthening this chat too much (again). I don't use forum image nor msg after my txt for a reason.

#9 2019-05-12 18:39:01

Solbusaur

Spoonwood wrote:

You've been really snarky lately sad
I don't think you should this annoyed by the update

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#10 2019-05-12 18:47:06

Dodge

Spoonwood wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

STOP HAVING FUN!!!!

maxresdefault.jpg

#11 2019-05-12 18:51:44

lychee

XD I've been having both good and bad experiences so far.

One time I spawned and got stabbed right away lol (as a baby).

And then the other time was a cute sweet donze village -- pretty badly maintained what I just started but my children were awesome! A bunch of them were new, but I like new players.

As for efficiency thing -- I think that the majority of the player base isn't really familiar with optimal meta, and I think that's to be expected. I think it's an inevitable part of the game, in a sense, right? People make choices -- and sometimes they're not the "best" choice -- but people are doing their best in the end, and I can never complain about that.

#12 2019-05-12 18:56:45

Spoonwood

SomeDude wrote:

Spoonwood, I get you love to keep things running in lineages and be as efficient as possible. My only issue is that you are rude to others make things for fun things (or evil things whichever one) that don't really help too much overall. (Take what I say with a pinch of salt, I am surely not the best player here and also I like how you call people "inferior players" over not being too efficient with water.) Sorry if this is phrased in a mean/rude way btw

I'm not talking to just some person playing.  No, it isn't me who came up with the emphasis on lineages.  Before the water system update I wasn't focused on playing for lineages personally, I more tried to get water technology up and that wasn't useful then.  Note I haven't said much about how I play, and in this thread I think I only indicated that I can roll out more than 3 steel rods at a time.  You want to play for a town instead of a lineage, that's your call.  If you choose to do that, I won't criticize you on that basis.  However, something different is going on here than me talking to you.  Note that I made a comment talking to Jason.  Jason has said on multiple times that he wants to encourage people to play for their lineages.  Let me get you quote so I'm doing more than just paraphrasing:

JasonRohrer wrote:

As I've said many times, I want your decisions in the game to matter, at all levels.  I want running a successful village to be hard, and I want you to care enough to get good at handling that challenge.  I want town leadership to be necessary, because the challenge is so difficult, and I want disagreements and politics to unfold around that leadership.  I want the survival of your family to really matter to you.

Original Source: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6087

There exists a few clues in this thread that this update just doesn't have people playing for their lineages, since Jason experienced a water crisis, someone was hoarding resources instead of maximizing production of them, and someone apparently guzzled water making a sword (hitting a steel rod still wastes the water) before oil was up.

Oh, and if you think I'm incorrect to point this out, by all means explain how the above points fail and how this past weekend's update encourages people to play for their families.  I did say that I thought that the water system update/pump overhaul update would be positive overall, and I thought it was, as you can see here: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 052#p57052  I do think it made for a good update after playing on bigserver2 for a bit also.  However, I do NOT think this weekend's update was similarly good, because of the aforementioned issues, and some other problems, but I'll defer on going into them here.

Danish Clinch.

#13 2019-05-12 18:59:17

Spoonwood

Solbusaur wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

You've been really snarky lately sad
I don't think you should this annoyed by the update

If you're not annoyed by this update, then you are not expecting consistency from Jason.  Note that it was Jason who said:

jasonrohrer wrote:

As I've said many times, I want your decisions in the game to matter, at all levels.  I want running a successful village to be hard, and I want you to care enough to get good at handling that challenge.  I want town leadership to be necessary, because the challenge is so difficult, and I want disagreements and politics to unfold around that leadership.  I want the survival of your family to really matter to you.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6087

You have an explanation as to how this most recent update encourages people to play for their family's survival?

Danish Clinch.

#14 2019-05-12 19:00:17

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

STOP HAVING FUN!!!!

You have no serious refutation, let alone a comment, on anything I say, so you end up resorting to some silly meme in the hopes that it distracts from the points I made.

Danish Clinch.

#15 2019-05-12 19:13:38

Solbusaur

Spoonwood wrote:

You have an explanation as to how this most recent update encourages people to play for their family's survival?

Well, for one, if a village is in your way or you want to claim their oil drill, you can kick them out. Claiming resources helps your own lineage. Plus with the closer Eve spawns, this exchange between families will hopefully be more common, I'm liking this dream Jason has of families either trading or battling. There are definitely changes that need to be made to the sword though.

Also if people make a trillion swords from pipes, they are either trying out the update that's only been out for a few days, which you can't blame, or it's a griefer who really does not care for their lineage and never has or will. Griefers are gonna grief

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)

#16 2019-05-12 19:15:42

karltown_veteran

I like this update too, to me it hasn't changed very much. Yet. I haven't seen anyone foreign yet either.
In my last life I was in the Pie family. I married a man named Vincent Pie, as Curie Pie. We lived a simple life - he farmed carrots, I baked. I wrote him love letters and gave him bundles of indigo, he gave me rare foods he had found in the wild. We had six children, not including the dead babies / dead toddlers : Bartie (Bartholomew), Vick (Vickie), Chimara (corrected to Chimaobim), Leo (Leonardo), Chelsea and Kana II. Kana was named by Vickie without my permission and I never really got over it, because I had prided myself in giving my children decent names; Kana II was not on my list of decent names. Even now I'm still bitter about it.
Vickie and Chelsea both dated this guy called Ray at the same time. I told him not to break their hearts, and he assured me he wouldn't. Ray was a butthead, but the good kind of butthead. He clapped at my wedding so it was hard to stay mad at him.
I wasn't very close with my daughters, but I stayed good friends with Leo, Vincent and a woman named Cherry Pie VII (VII? VIII? who knows...)
The pie family was a wonderful family. In that life alone I:
- Helped make a nursery
- Kissed and was kissed
- Got married
- Made a ton of pies
- Wrote love letters
- Nurtured each one of my children. Except Kana II, because I was still bitter about his name. He ended up as a murderer so I guess I should have stuck around but whatever.
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4429804
The town is still going strong, as far as I can see, and it looks like my Great Great Great Great Great Grandchildren are the ones carrying the line on. Whoop whoop!

Edit: I was also friends with Sammy, who claimed to be Jason's (grand?)kid. He was the priest at my wedding. He wore a blue hat and said that Jason had worn that hat in his life, that he was proud to wear Jason's hat. It was cute.

Another Edit: I just realized that if Sammy was the (grand?)kid of Jason, I married either Jason's younger brother or Jason's son
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4429873

Last edited by karltown_veteran (2019-05-12 19:18:56)

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#17 2019-05-12 19:56:31

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Not sure what's going on with no seeing foreigners.

I'll see if Chard make another one of his birth cluster animations.

#18 2019-05-12 20:06:37

Dodge

jasonrohrer wrote:

Do the eve's spawn into infinity?

If yes then this coupled with the lift ban based on playtime and not server time that makes villages die and the unlimited number of eve's means that the map probably looks like isolated villages surrounded by dead camps and other dead villages and then far away another living village.

Instead of a map that tracks births can you have a live map or screenshot of where all the living peoples are on the map at one given time, to actually see where are the people at them moment they are playing, on the map and if they are close to each other. Even better if each family has a different color to differenciate them.

This could solve issue : https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6380

#19 2019-05-12 21:48:41

futurebird

Just on the milkweed topic the water shortages do make farming it less of a no-brainer.

iOdgpUY.jpg
(One pond yields about 3-4 ropes... Not even one pine panel!)

That's how much milk weed I got from one pond. That isn't counting the soil used or the labor. I used skewers and a natural soil deposit and a pond far from town. But I've been in towns where people were running horses with buckets to get water from two biomes over... so even picking a far pond might not be causing problems.

I'm not saying never farm it, just the whole "you can't plant too much milkweed" concept might need some rethinking.

Last edited by futurebird (2019-05-12 21:49:35)

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#20 2019-05-12 21:50:54

Solbusaur

Idk, 4 ropes sounds like a pretty good yield to me. Comparing it to the price of a pine wall seems dumb, since it's the wall that's ridiculously expensive, those ropes have muuuuch better uses. One wall is useless, but 5 buckets is amazing

#21 2019-05-12 23:20:02

CatX

Since milkweed has so many uses, it definitely deserves some rethinking.

#22 2019-05-13 00:56:01

Spoonwood

futurebird wrote:

Just on the milkweed topic the water shortages do make farming it less of a no-brainer.

https://i.imgur.com/iOdgpUY.jpg
(One pond yields about 3-4 ropes... Not even one pine panel!)

That's how much milk weed I got from one pond. That isn't counting the soil used or the labor. I used skewers and a natural soil deposit and a pond far from town. But I've been in towns where people were running horses with buckets to get water from two biomes over... so even picking a far pond might not be causing problems.

I'm not saying never farm it, just the whole "you can't plant too much milkweed" concept might need some rethinking.

I'm going to refer to this thread: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6365

where Jason said this:

jasonrohrer wrote:

You can grow milkweed.

Things were fine with the tree/gooseberry bush/tule reed/other "tall" object bug removed, since someone can get it.  Someone would STILL have to go out and get it, and plenty of players just don't leave a town (sometimes they are women, sometimes they get murdered, something they are new and the game overwhelms them, sometimes there exist food crises at home, etc.).  But now with the "tall" object "feature", milkweed sounds like it's back to being a serious issue on bigserver2.  Water regeneration is kinder on low pop servers though, since people aren't playing as much and there don't exist as many people around.

Danish Clinch.

#23 2019-05-13 00:57:58

Spoonwood

Solbusaur wrote:

Idk, 4 ropes sounds like a pretty good yield to me. Comparing it to the price of a pine wall seems dumb, since it's the wall that's ridiculously expensive, those ropes have muuuuch better uses. One wall is useless, but 5 buckets is amazing

I've seen enough towns that I feel confident in saying that almost all towns can use more than 4 new buckets.  That's not accounting for a lasso, or a cart for that horse (that's 3 ropes just for one), or a sledge for possibly many different purposes.

Danish Clinch.

#24 2019-05-13 02:02:44

Bob 101

Just remember that most suicide when a town 8s dying.

#25 2019-05-13 03:28:18

wondible

jasonrohrer wrote:

Early on I had one game where I died, eved, ran north into my old town. Then left and found a dead looking town, only have a couple other eves show up. There was no wild food, the land had been ravaged.

But something seems off, looks like lots of eves are still on a spiral.

springs_spawn.png

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

Board footer