One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-19 01:04:09

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker
From: Discord
Registered: 2019-05-06
Posts: 669

So I was just Insta-Death'd by a Snowball

I was having a friendly snowball fight with an old lady and the moment she throws one at me I get an insta "Killed by Snowball"

Here's video proof. https://streamable.com/bzp4x

It also counted as a murder. Here's my family tree thing http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4820389

Last edited by DiscardedSlinky (2019-06-19 01:07:33)


I'm Slinky.

Offline

#2 2019-06-19 01:42:24

jasonrohrer
Administrator
Registered: 2017-02-13
Posts: 4,737

Re: So I was just Insta-Death'd by a Snowball

Must be some kind of bug.

Can I get a few more people to test this on the live server?

The fact that blood showed up in your UI was also strange.

Offline

#3 2019-06-19 02:54:17

RodneyC86
Member
Registered: 2019-05-11
Posts: 467

Re: So I was just Insta-Death'd by a Snowball

I think that old lady snuck a round stone in that snowball, giving you a good blunt trauma.

Offline

#4 2019-06-19 03:11:30

ollj
Member
Registered: 2019-06-15
Posts: 626

Re: So I was just Insta-Death'd by a Snowball

i whitnessed (something like) this. neasr a crowded freplace, many people standing on the same tile.
surely not a snow biome, just a small snow pile sw.

Offline

#5 2019-06-19 09:41:10

Tarr
Member
Registered: 2018-03-31
Posts: 1,547

Re: So I was just Insta-Death'd by a Snowball

jasonrohrer wrote:

Must be some kind of bug.

Can I get a few more people to test this on the live server?

The fact that blood showed up in your UI was also strange.

Bloody snowball interaction has been a thing since snowballs were introduced but I never could trigger that to occur in all my hours of testing snowball related bugs. Seems interesting he managed to get it to go off and was lucky enough to record it.


Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 103

Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

Offline

#6 2019-06-19 11:32:15

Twisted
Member
Registered: 2018-10-12
Posts: 663

Re: So I was just Insta-Death'd by a Snowball

Random observation, but the victim is blushing. Could it be that snowballing a perosn that's emoting has a chance to kill them for some reason? Tarr killed a baby that persumably wasn't emoting manually, but it did have the snow splat emote.

Offline

#7 2019-06-19 11:38:22

wondible
Member
Registered: 2018-04-19
Posts: 843

Re: So I was just Insta-Death'd by a Snowball

It was a snowball *fight* right? Could the splat emote be interacting with the angry emote from targeting a player?


https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

Offline

#8 2019-06-19 21:54:47

MistressZues
Member
Registered: 2018-04-24
Posts: 269

Re: So I was just Insta-Death'd by a Snowball

wondible wrote:

It was a snowball *fight* right? Could the splat emote be interacting with the angry emote from targeting a player?

OOO ya maybe she did make the angry emote right when she threw it


Check this out upvote if you agree!!! https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … heck_this/

Offline

#9 2019-06-20 00:41:15

jasonrohrer
Administrator
Registered: 2017-02-13
Posts: 4,737

Re: So I was just Insta-Death'd by a Snowball

I think she should still make the angry emote automatically.

The snowball interaction is an overloaded case of the KILL action.... but is supposed to be non-deadly.

Offline

#10 2019-06-20 00:59:05

Tarr
Member
Registered: 2018-03-31
Posts: 1,547

Re: So I was just Insta-Death'd by a Snowball

jasonrohrer wrote:

I think she should still make the angry emote automatically.

The snowball interaction is an overloaded case of the KILL action.... but is supposed to be non-deadly.

Pretty sure you only do the angry emote if you actively click someone. If you click an adjacent tile to the player you want to stab you have the default look on your face the entire time. Same goes for bow and snowball use (not that you should trust someone running around with a drawn weapon in the first place.


Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 103

Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

Offline

#11 2019-06-20 01:30:13

kubassa
Banned
Registered: 2018-04-21
Posts: 162

Re: So I was just Insta-Death'd by a Snowball

Cool to see that you have no trees in your game, co ordinates and your age. Too many moded clients to play this game it ruins the game for those that play the legit way and or new players. lol and hes QQ'ing about snowballs. No wonder this game doesn't build a player base.......

Hey Jason how is this not cheating? Is this what you intended to have for your game?

The idiot can see you behind trees so you can't hide... ya fair game. This is a sad state of this game to be honest.

Last edited by kubassa (2019-06-20 01:35:52)


I got huge ballz.

Offline

#12 2019-06-20 04:28:14

jasonrohrer
Administrator
Registered: 2017-02-13
Posts: 4,737

Re: So I was just Insta-Death'd by a Snowball

kubassa, I'm almost 100% certain that preventing such mods would be impossible, even if I expended great effort in trying to stop it.  This is a fact of computer science, dating all the way back to Turing.

I don't think that mod shows "real" coordinates, because I'm pretty sure I've fixed all those leaks.  So they are probably just showing coordinates relative to their own birth location.  Unless there's another leak, which I will fix.

This game is doing the "right" thing by doing everything server-side, but there are some things that must be done on the client, such as drawing the graphics.

There is one way to actually solve this problem, which is to do all the rendering server-side and then send video feeds to the clients.  This is, of course, beyond the scope of anything that I'm going to attempt here (and I'm not aware of any game that does this, and latency would be horrible).

Offline

#13 2019-06-20 04:31:50

jasonrohrer
Administrator
Registered: 2017-02-13
Posts: 4,737

Re: So I was just Insta-Death'd by a Snowball

Tarr, just tested it, and shift-clicking on their tile (instead of them directly) gives you the angry face and puts you in the KILL state just fine.

In fact, the server finds the nearest person to your shift-click, even if you didn't click on anyone at all.  That is to prevent a dancing griefer from exploiting latency, especially if you have a slow connection.

Offline

#14 2019-06-20 05:00:51

mensrea
Member
Registered: 2019-02-10
Posts: 50

Re: So I was just Insta-Death'd by a Snowball

I observed this bug once. I threw a ball at somebody and they immediately died.

Offline

#15 2019-06-20 07:59:56

testo
Member
Registered: 2019-05-12
Posts: 696

Re: So I was just Insta-Death'd by a Snowball

Can confirm full town dead to this glitch.


- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

Offline

#16 2019-06-20 08:14:07

Xelothar
Member
Registered: 2019-06-20
Posts: 2

Re: So I was just Insta-Death'd by a Snowball

Hello,
a friend and me just got killed from a snowball. We started the next game right away to test things out. Apparently when you hit the angry emote right when you throw a snowball it will instantly kill players.
I hope this will get fixed soon, we we're really close to the diesel engine to keep the town from dehydrating. Well the snowball guy had fun killing everybody.

Offline

#17 2019-06-20 12:10:30

wondible
Member
Registered: 2018-04-19
Posts: 843

Re: So I was just Insta-Death'd by a Snowball

jasonrohrer wrote:

I don't think that mod shows "real" coordinates, because I'm pretty sure I've fixed all those leaks.  So they are probably just showing coordinates relative to their own birth location.  Unless there's another leak, which I will fix.

Not a leak precisely, but hetuw allows adding a coordinate offset. If you hear a monument call and think you know which one it is, those coordinate are published and can be used to create an absolute offset.

Monument coordinates are also used to place them on the map. This a very nice thing to have a map, but also a kind of leak - if you find a monument that has been around long enough to have been picked up, there are often only about 3 points to check for familiar biome patterns in order to know what is around and possibly recent neighboring towns.


https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

Offline

#18 2019-06-20 16:06:59

MistressZues
Member
Registered: 2018-04-24
Posts: 269

Re: So I was just Insta-Death'd by a Snowball

wondible wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

I don't think that mod shows "real" coordinates, because I'm pretty sure I've fixed all those leaks.  So they are probably just showing coordinates relative to their own birth location.  Unless there's another leak, which I will fix.

Not a leak precisely, but hetuw allows adding a coordinate offset. If you hear a monument call and think you know which one it is, those coordinate are published and can be used to create an absolute offset.

Monument coordinates are also used to place them on the map. This a very nice thing to have a map, but also a kind of leak - if you find a monument that has been around long enough to have been picked up, there are often only about 3 points to check for familiar biome patterns in order to know what is around and possibly recent neighboring towns.


SHHHHHHH dont tell him!! he will ruin it again!! lol


Check this out upvote if you agree!!! https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … heck_this/

Offline

#19 2019-06-20 16:35:58

Spoonwood
Member
Registered: 2019-02-06
Posts: 3,977

Re: So I was just Insta-Death'd by a Snowball

I just killed isntantly by a snowball at age 25 and was close to full.

Worst ending of a life ever.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-06-20 16:38:08)

Offline

#20 2019-06-21 02:09:28

kubassa
Banned
Registered: 2018-04-21
Posts: 162

Re: So I was just Insta-Death'd by a Snowball

jasonrohrer wrote:

kubassa, I'm almost 100% certain that preventing such mods would be impossible, even if I expended great effort in trying to stop it.  This is a fact of computer science, dating all the way back to Turing.

I don't think that mod shows "real" coordinates, because I'm pretty sure I've fixed all those leaks.  So they are probably just showing coordinates relative to their own birth location.  Unless there's another leak, which I will fix.

This game is doing the "right" thing by doing everything server-side, but there are some things that must be done on the client, such as drawing the graphics.

There is one way to actually solve this problem, which is to do all the rendering server-side and then send video feeds to the clients.  This is, of course, beyond the scope of anything that I'm going to attempt here (and I'm not aware of any game that does this, and latency would be horrible).

So true. I was just being dick anyway. Don't mind me...


I got huge ballz.

Offline

#21 2019-06-21 15:28:00

Luniatji
Member
Registered: 2018-04-28
Posts: 111

Re: So I was just Insta-Death'd by a Snowball

jasonrohrer wrote:

I think she should still make the angry emote automatically.

The snowball interaction is an overloaded case of the KILL action.... but is supposed to be non-deadly.

If it's not supposed to be deadly.. can that than please be removed? I yesterday played a life in a city as Light Dawn and there was a woman, Alphonse Dawn killing people with snowballs. Kids, women, men ..

Not one, not two, but NINETEEN PEOPLE before she got killed. I recounted it, but feel free to count them yourself. All with snowballs who are counted as "non deadly". If killing nineteen people count as not deadly, I'm a giraffe.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB