One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-07-02 05:21:30

Laskara

They named me Hero because they needed one

I straightup did not have a good time

so I'm born into the edge town, whew, and they're immediately swarming me, "hey hero we need stuff, we need stuff, we need stuff", i immediately have to exile and kill part of a troll swarm apparently? Like just based on the state of town, we had some kinda grief right before I was unfortunate enough to be born there. So I do all I can as a literal fucking five year old and run around looking for some fucking food, of which there is very little left.  Just, not nearly enough. The second I turn 15, rapidfire babies because I'm the only fert girl present, one after another and i'm just trying to get them to toddle so I actually have someone around to help knowing this is going to keep happening. There was no water bc no kerosene, someone killed the sheep, no compost except for whatever my first daughter found and temporarily fixed the berries with, as far as I know no one had went to get kerosene until I ordered it as an under ten year old child and didn't get back in time because it was dramatically distant from town, they didn't stack wood, they let the main fire burn out, someone cut down the last juniper tree and the son I sent out to get a cutting and grow a new one never came back. Two old women showed up in my last few minutes of life with kerosene wondering how tf i didn't know where the engine was as leader with no idea what'd happened to the town and by then everything had fallen straight apart and we were the last people left

Anyway, spoiler I did not manage to get the town to bounce back from that and had a frustrating time. The edges are kill. If you're eve, your city now!

#2 2020-07-02 08:12:17

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Re: They named me Hero because they needed one

The new player wave has been very rough to towns. I swear it feels like it's just me and maybe 2 other people working in a town of 15 people. It's a constant struggle to keep things going and you have to scream at someone every few seconds to stop berry munching.

Even leaders are usually new and they're gulible and will let griefers slide. Even with good leadership you can't do much because asking a flood of newbies to farm means nothing because they don't know how to.

The game these days, even before the sale, feels like towns are just coasting and trying to last until the next vet comes and fixes all their problems. The majority of the player base can't do higher tier tech so it all falls on the shoulders of the vets. It's frustrating beyond belief to feel like the only one working in a full town. It's a huge failure. The tutorial NEEDS to be better.

Yesterday I made an Oil pump 100 tiles away from the Manrings and 24 hours later I come back and not a soul has touched it since. All the fams need oil and have absolutely no water.

I spent 2 hours getting the entire server oil so the families have a chance of lasting through the night. I guarantee I'll have to do it again tomorrow too. It sucks that everyone can stand around and do nothing all life because myself and a handful of other good players carry the game on our backs. Jason doesn't see this part. He doesn't see that it's always the same players getting oil and making engines. He doesn't see the hardcore teamwork across multiple lives with the same few people. He just sees towns running smoothly because of our work and claims himself a master game dev.

Anyways. Fuck new player waves.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#3 2020-07-02 10:48:45

pein

look at th good side, they didn't needed a toilet

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2020-07-02 11:26:36

Catfive

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

I spent 2 hours getting the entire server oil so the families have a chance of lasting through the night. I guarantee I'll have to do it again tomorrow too. It sucks that everyone can stand around and do nothing all life because myself and a handful of other good players carry the game on our backs. Jason doesn't see this part. He doesn't see that it's always the same players getting oil and making engines. He doesn't see the hardcore teamwork across multiple lives with the same few people. He just sees towns running smoothly because of our work and claims himself a master game dev.

Anyways. Fuck new player waves.

it doesn't matter how much you offer to teach either, they'll be back to making youtube videos about their pet goose and hoovering up berries the moment your back is turned.

#5 2020-07-02 11:28:27

sigmen4020

That sounds like a frustrating time. I had a similar situation yesterday with the Manring family. When I was born there they had basically nothing. All berry bushes were dry, no food in the kitchen and no one was collecting firewood. The only thing the other villagers seemed capable of was farming and munching on 1 pip carrots, because the only thing I saw done was carrot farming (where all the many carrots farmed went missing not long after). It was a mess. So much so that I ended up leaving early on because there was barely enough food to sustain me. Eventually I found a black town and managed to get a fairly good yum chain going and then returned to help the Manrings again. Having a big yum chain going does help relieve some of the stress from trying to take care of a town. I didn’t fully fix it by the time I died, but I did manage to get a lot done. I kickstarted the compost cycle again, replanted wheat and corn farms and repopulated the sheep pen again, along other stuff I can’t remember off the top of my head.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#6 2020-07-02 14:07:39

DestinyCall

I wish that the upper end of the tech tree (oil) was not so closely linked with the bottom end of the tech tree (water/farming).    It leaves the game in a very fragile state where the whole town is dependent on the few veteran players who are willing and ABLE to deal with the oil-grind.   

When a new player asks me how to get water, I just laugh and tell them to go get it from ponds.   There's simply no point in trying to explain any other way.

#7 2020-07-02 14:45:19

Coconut Fruit

DestinyCall wrote:

When a new player asks me how to get water, I just laugh and tell them to go get it from ponds.   There's simply no point in trying to explain any other way.

Don't underestimate ponds, they are a great source of water if a town has a horse or a cart with tires and 8 free buckets.
A fast person can fill 5 cisterns in 15 minutes only with water from ponds. It really surprises me that people don't get all possible water from nearest ponds (200 tiles in every direction).
Damn, lately I even seen a town that survived over 2 days, and they lived next to a swamp biome that still had many untouched ponds....

Don't laugh when you teach new people about getting water from ponds, pls, it's better if they do this than vets that could spend this time on getting oil. Im sure they would be happy doing this, using a cart and actually being very helpful.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#8 2020-07-02 14:56:02

DestinyCall

I laugh because it feels so broken that scraping water out of ponds is more practical than constructing a new well or making a rubber tire.

It is very frustrating that we are stuck living in the dark ages because the water economy in this game is so poorly balanced.

#9 2020-07-02 15:18:36

sigmen4020

DestinyCall wrote:

I laugh because it feels so broken that scraping water out of ponds is more practical than constructing a new well or making a rubber tire.

It is very frustrating that we are stuck living in the dark ages because the water economy in this game is so poorly balanced.

Another problem is that the diesel well is freaking terrible. Easily the worst well by far, you are much better off using your kerosene on a kerosene Newcomen pump outside of town. So in many ways getting water from ponds is a much better solution to a towns water problem compared to the terrible reward you get from a Diesel well, considering how many hoops through the race restrictions it requires. Also language learning should really be looked at again and made much faster. Has anyone seen two different races that are not white be able to communicate with each other without the use of paper after the homeland update, because I sure haven't. The current language learning is outdated and balanced around a completely different era of multirace towns and is incredible unbalanced with our current situation.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2020-07-02 15:21:33)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#10 2020-07-02 16:10:54

Arcurus

sigmen4020 wrote:

Another problem is that the diesel well is freaking terrible. Easily the worst well by far, you are much better off using your kerosene on a kerosene Newcomen pump outside of town. So in many ways getting water from ponds is a much better solution to a towns water problem compared to the terrible reward you get from a Diesel well, considering how many hoops through the race restrictions it requires. Also language learning should really be looked at again and made much faster. Has anyone seen two different races that are not white be able to communicate with each other without the use of paper after the homeland update, because I sure haven't. The current language learning is outdated and balanced around a completely different era of multirace towns and is incredible unbalanced with our current situation.

since some months i encountered only two not white towns that could understand each other....  another two where close enough, so i guess they could also have learned it...

Language could be fixed so that you learn for example in 3 years how to speak it rudimentary and 10 years to speak it perfectly. You could pass halve of your knowledge to your kids / kids of relatives if you go back.

The language barrier would be more per Individuum and not so much per family. After living with them for some years you know how it goes....

#11 2020-07-02 16:14:42

DestinyCall

Or we just scrap languages and remove the "translator" specialization.     Combine ginger/vanilla character models into one race that has cold biome specialization.

All races can talk to each other and you don't have an entire race that lacks any special resources.

Alternatively, keep vanillas as a separate "race", but let them share specialization with gingers, so twice as many families have oil access.   This would help spread out the burden a little, since more families can actively work oil.   Veteran players can already use /die to pick their race, if they want to go get oil as ginger so it isn't going to make a huge difference to power gamers, but the average player should get noticably more opportunities to learn about oil tech.   

Between race restrictions and the byzantine tap-out mechanics, the whole upper half of the tech tree is largely inaccessible for normal people.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-07-02 16:24:34)

#12 2020-07-02 16:33:28

JonySky
Website

Languages have always seemed great to me at OHOL ... but their implementation is totally wrong

Languages must be learned individually, and must be learned in one lifetime (not several generations)

we must also be able to create books that help us learn a language

About the problem with water ... I said a long time ago that this game is only based on water and that is a big mistake.

There is no other challenge, just the water ... everything revolves around the water and any change made in the water unbalances the entire game

If Jason decides to place a river or a lake to collect water, or create a water treatment plant, the game will be unbalanced

With this I wonder? ... will we get to have robots but will we continue collecting the water with buckets in ponds?

It is a big game design problem and it shows that the game is being continually improvised, there is no clear objective.

Last edited by JonySky (2020-07-02 16:40:08)

#13 2020-07-02 17:40:18

wondible

DestinyCall wrote:

I wish that the upper end of the tech tree (oil) was not so closely linked with the bottom end of the tech tree (water/farming).    It leaves the game in a very fragile state where the whole town is dependent on the few veteran players who are willing and ABLE to deal with the oil-grind.

Even as a bit of old timer, who "can" do oil, I've been kind of conditioned out of it by being incapable 3/4 lives, and then faced with the task of finding the jack/tarry spot.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#14 2020-07-02 18:58:18

Arcurus

JonySky wrote:

With this I wonder? ... will we get to have robots but will we continue collecting the water with buckets in ponds?

hmm, maybe we get sprinkler soon:

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/ … /spray.pdf

#15 2020-07-02 19:22:16

Lava

Arcurus wrote:
JonySky wrote:

This isn’t an actual sprinkler it’s for the badge sprite.

#16 2020-07-02 19:32:18

Arcurus

Lava wrote:
Arcurus wrote:
JonySky wrote:

This isn’t an actual sprinkler it’s for the badge sprite.

so at least sprinkler on the badges smile

This week is complete mysterious what we get....

Last edited by Arcurus (2020-07-02 19:39:12)

#17 2020-07-02 19:37:35

DestinyCall

Considering some of the updates we have received in the past, nothing might be better than something.

But I am still holding out hope for a bear saddle.

#18 2020-07-06 11:16:34

testo

Poor veterans that have to keep everyone alive all game long. What would it be our game without them? Long live to all the people that use their gameplay time getting resources for everyone in the server and just throw them to the illetares in their face instead of staying at home to teach anything useful to these pesky newcomers. I feel so bad for the pros in this game that im going to play the tutorial again to convince myself im not one of those useless newbies.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#19 2020-07-06 12:26:58

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Why you commenting on a dying thread instead of teaching newbies? Silly Testo

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

Board footer