One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-24 07:09:20

Dantox

The game is it really at its best state?

I am genuinly curious about what the community thinks about this.

Why do you think it is indeed in its best state and why do you think it is not in its best state?

make bread, no war

#2 2020-05-24 07:22:28

DestinyCall

Re: The game is it really at its best state?

The bug fixes are great.    I love the stacks and the various quality of life fixes.   I like unbreakable yum chaining.

I still hate race restrictions.  Tool slots are annoying and pointless.   The end-game is still rubbish. 

It's a mixed bag for me.

#3 2020-05-24 07:26:16

Crumpaloo

From a anti-griefing perspective, the game is abysmal, it relies on groups of random individuals to come together to do something complex, most of said people who dont even know the mechanics exist.

On the other hand this is great for people who wanna grief because it ensures that any kind of counter to their organized group wont be able to become a real threat before everyone gets stabbed to death.

Curses only serve to hinder new players and get circumvented by griefers easily, i saw a guy in-game who was talking about how he made it so no matter how many curses his account got, he would never be sent to Donkey town, and thats just one of the ways...

You would think after 13 updates to the killing system would be the nail in the coffin, yet its only became easier.

Small fixes like stackables and bugs getting adressed are nice but with the weeks upon weeks long of content starvation i cant really say the game is in its BEST state lol.

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#4 2020-05-24 08:33:50

Amon

I would say no. It's not at it's best state.
It's mostly about mechanics that are persisting still to this day like restrictions.
However the TLC and bugfixes so far have been good, they just don't outweight the rest of the stuff.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#5 2020-05-24 09:07:52

Gomez

Honestly, consistently getting leader with high fitness goes a long way towards dealing with griefers. Also knowing how to progress tech in town and do meaningful actions which promote long term survival helps as well.  You can spread a lot of information as leader.  My last life went really well, was able to exhaust newcomnen well. Cisterns and engine were already built and upgrading was easy.  Food was already handled so I upgraded kitchen with springy doors with help from followers.

Was able to get good help with order commands and if any griefer had shown up he would have been quickly handled I assure you. We have a lot of tools at our disposal and I'd say the game is in very good shape.

Last edited by Gomez (2020-05-24 09:08:09)

#6 2020-05-24 09:59:49

miskas

I do really think that game is at is best state UP till now.
It is not great still have problems and issues but these are a lot less than before.

Many more items have are useful now (pen fences), food variety is needed, the organization of tows is better than before. killing is lower than before, traveling is better than before, caregiving is better communicated than before (hunger mouth), Communication is better than before.

Interfamily co-operation and family co-operation is better than before. better because previously it didn't even exist.

Better is not the Best, it is just better than before.

Last edited by miskas (2020-05-24 10:03:09)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#7 2020-05-24 17:37:56

Blue tinker

I mean, the new update is amazing and I think the posse has been better since the inheritance-based-on-gene-score update, I think there has been many great little changes and I even got used to the family specialties, even though I still think that they should be reworked.

But I agree with Spoonwood about one thing: there is not really a point. The premise of the game is to make things so your children and grandchildren might do something amazing, thanks to your work. It didn't matter that everyone will probably die as there was a hope that they will climb higher on the tech tree and improve your town that will be there, even if just as ruins. It will be remembered. Now the meta does not include higher tech - making cars and planes is almost equal to griefing as engines are needed for upgrading the well and mines.

When I play OHOL I play for the cool stories and drama (I've already done most things on the tech tree). I know that we play for fun, and when you don't experience griefer attacks it really is, but it is just a little sad that what you do will not last very long. Higher tech issues are a minor thing, maybe it will be fixed in one of the next updates. But that may be just because I've played this game regularly for so long. I'm gonna get a slight break and see how the game progresses. May everyone have fun (I haven't seen "Bobo griefed my town" threads for some time so it seems like the situation is under control).

So yes, I think the game is in its best state yet, though it has gained some major flaws (almost all added mechanics are unintuitive and are not present in the tutorial).

New to the forum but not the game. Property fence enthusiast.

#8 2020-05-24 18:04:55

Crumpaloo

(I haven't seen "Bobo griefed my town" threads for some time so it seems like the situation is under control).

Uhhhh: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=9794 thats like the third post up top...

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#9 2020-05-24 22:14:12

fug

Game is worse than it was at the start of the year due to more needless restrictions.

Wake me up next year when the content starts coming in.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#10 2020-05-25 00:55:09

Spoonwood

No, it's not at its best state... not from what I see.  That whole thing about engine scrapping has made the game less about building than before.

Tool restrictions and race/biome restrictions also weren't ever about building or parenting.

Food changes and iron changes also weren't about enhancing building or parenting.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#11 2020-05-25 01:38:00

pein

well, if you know what he is referring to then you understand better

miskas is happy about his idea getting implemented, and that can be a sign of hope, att least for him

few things that happened before. i went on a little rampage on github, questioning some food values, mainly corn and grapes
we got the corn buff right before the change on foods and luckily it stayed over the rework. my main reasoning was that corn has more trouble, work and its an ideal food for uncles to feed the little abandoned kids, so it deserves to be above berries.

the conversation on grapes went differently, Jason refused that, I still think the level of tech needed for grapes, would indicate a way better value than now, but he refused since it does not need soil and shears got 2x the uses. Soil worth 25% of water and the main ingredient of compost is still water, nerfing compost with dung then with the output nerf from 10 to 8 to 7 was also big, and indirect nerfs through water nerfs really made it less and less valuable. So "not needing soil" is a 25% bonus to a crop type but that value is low when the main food value is low. Shears last 2x longer, but they also need 2 blades and give back half of the steel only, it is kinda confusing, since on uses they still make up for it, on the value they are worse when they break, but after around 30-32 shears vs hoes or axes yo usee the difference, that the steel usage is worse.

Jason mentioned on one of these topics that he had a spreadsheet with tool costs and soil/water. Miskas made a topic about the values and he worked on a spreadsheet ever since the game was adjusted, and I showed Jason that. Then Miskas posted more ideas and Jason finally reworked the food values.

Now the new values seem more balanced with the efforts, and the needs, placing foods in better order. But the nerfs coming with it made yum not just more needed, but basically the only way to stay alive. It's a different concept than before, it certainly feels a bit better. I would still argue that we would need a better raw value and less benefit from yum, so it would do what it was intended to do in the first place: increase overall variety in-game. It still motivates selfish behaviour and cheats out bonus for a few people while others won't get any benefit from it.

So food is on a good spot, better than ever before, you get a bonus for each food you make, it's more balanced with work and tool usage, it has a system around it, but it still could be better. I think mainly it could be more dynamic so people are challenged to make one or other food in different scenarios, so they can enjoy a temporary bonus, and get rewarded for their adaptability. It's more punishing on new players and the ones who play generic and don't care much about it. And Jason understood that punishing players for bad choices won't work so he refuses the concept of YUCK or Yam or whatever, that breaking chains or overdoing one type should be punishing, because it already is. But let's be real, we are eating way more food and we don't have time for other activities, and that's just slowing players down, and delaying to address the other issues with the game. If you advance at a slower pace, don't have tool slots and cant enter biomes, you eat more than you won't have extra time to notice how bad the late game is actually. And instead of having more things to do and more resource sinks and requirements to fulfil, things to upgrade, value to stack, you must play the same game but you never got a chance to reach the end game. Which is basically Jason optimizing the game for new starters, and pissing off veterans.

This statement isn't true, the game isn't better, but the food is better in some ways.

Not sure where I felt the game is actually better, maybe the introduction of jungles was the last time when I was happy about a change and felt its interesting content. You got the minigame of clearing the jungle, blocking the mosquitoes and moving inside for a real bonus, the only warmth bonus that worth it, the perfect middle. Eventually, that was changes so that can be a melatonin based restricted content, just so Jason doesn't have to make parallel techs and more varied gameplay to please the older players. Everyone was asking for a similar idea but his implementation was lazy and simplified and quite annoying.

We got a lot of fixes and stacks, and he is going through the issues fast, but he still refuses to add anything above our current tech, additional interactions, requirements, rewards, minigames, activities. And this is the time he should introduce something major.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#12 2020-05-25 02:12:57

Legs

The fact that engines can be removed from a well and scrapped is malicious development. It's a slap in the face to players. There's no reason behind it, just a huge fuck you. The modern fossil fuel tech is already unsustainable, you don't have to be such a dick about it jason.

Loco Motion

#13 2020-05-25 03:56:03

Crumpaloo

Legs wrote:

The fact that engines can be removed from a well and scrapped is malicious development. It's a slap in the face to players. There's no reason behind it, just a huge fuck you. The modern fossil fuel tech is already unsustainable, you don't have to be such a dick about it jason.

I can understand the basic premise "oh i made too many of this engine part and i need the steel back, so let me scrap this one part" But seriously, a entire engine, where is the foresight on these kinds of things?

And its not like he was quick to fix the issue as soon as people reported on it, ITS STILL IN-GAME ahahahahahah.

#14 2020-05-25 04:17:58

sigmen4020

Crumpaloo wrote:
Legs wrote:

I can understand the basic premise "oh i made too many of this engine part and i need the steel back, so let me scrap this one part" But seriously, a entire engine, where is the foresight on these kinds of things?

And its not like he was quick to fix the issue as soon as people reported on it, ITS STILL IN-GAME ahahahahahah.

The guy who made the github issue for the engine scrapping made it as a joke. Nobody except griefers wanted/liked that change.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2020-05-25 04:18:18)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#15 2020-05-25 06:50:52

miskas

"Yum still motivates selfish behaviour"
Not really if you make a yum food with more than 1 bites you don't need the other bites of the food, it is more efficient to make another yum food and let the leftovers for others. In a perfect world, people would make yum foods eat a bite and trade the leftovers with others to both gain a new yum food.

Last edited by miskas (2020-05-25 06:51:39)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#16 2020-05-25 08:59:59

Crumpaloo

miskas wrote:

Not really if you make a yum food with more than 1 bites you don't need the other bites of the food, it is more efficient to make another yum food and let the leftovers for others. In a perfect world, people would make yum foods eat a bite and trade the leftovers with others to both gain a new yum food.

Thats a matter of convenience, short term gain over long term gain, i get to have a full hungry bar now, but ill need to eat more later.

And if you dont got Hewtu where you just hold down y to automatically highlight yum foods not eaten yet, it can take a time filling up a fully grown adults hunger bar.

Something ive done to combat this is create a yum box or cart that i fill with all kinds of yum foods, then just go over to players and say "do you want yum?" No need to look around for yum foods as a new player when a person already has 10+ items waiting for you to eat!

#17 2020-05-26 01:28:04

NOBODY

Everyone loves Jason,
all the nice comments and support

no jk everyone hates you, "good job" on the bugs jason

real super hero

Last edited by NOBODY (2020-05-26 01:33:22)

#18 2020-05-26 06:16:10

Coconut Fruit

NOBODY wrote:

Everyone loves Jason,

real super hero

Says Bobo's friend. I wouldn't be surprised if you are Toxic, the guy who got banned for account stealing.
People hate you and not Jason.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#19 2020-05-26 07:47:42

pein

miskas wrote:

take it like this: if you collect all the food in the town and do a sample you might get around 10-15 types
which feeds 15 people once and maybe 5 more for 10 chain

now you make yourself one plate, by coincidence, some others get a share of it, but it's effectively still not more than 3-4 people
variety should mean overall sustainable variety not personal unique for a select few
now I don feel good about the yum process, Im okay with having the bonus but it's a bit annoying to track it especially vanilla
you can't expect everyone to cook in oven or hot flat rock or coals but a bonus like this kinda forces you too

if it would be a lower chain, then you could have sustainable 10 foods and some more to make up another 5, when your maximum chain is lower, the focus would shift to any 10 foods and not "unlimited unique" foods since you could choose any 10 combos. the bonus is way too high and the base value way too low, when there are a few portable foods is kinda bad to go out with 3 pies since gives you barely any value.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#20 2020-05-26 10:32:37

Spoonwood

Coconut Fruit wrote:
NOBODY wrote:

Everyone loves Jason,

real super hero

Says Bobo's friend. I wouldn't be surprised if you are Toxic, the guy who got banned for account stealing.

You didn't confirm that NOBODY is Toxic, did you?

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#21 2020-05-27 09:30:12

Catfive

Spoonwood wrote:
Coconut Fruit wrote:
NOBODY wrote:

Everyone loves Jason,

real super hero

You didn't confirm that NOBODY is Toxic, did you?

Oh he's definitely toxic, maybe just not the player of that name

#22 2020-05-27 15:48:34

JonySky
Website

Jason has completed the bug fixes ...

Does this mean that we will start having new content?

Or does it mean that we will have updates where Jason changes some values in a database and says goodbye until next week?

Or maybe Jason would change some outdated and useless mechanics?

Let´s gamble !!!

#23 2020-05-27 16:51:21

antking:]#

This would mean we would get new content, but people keep reporting "bugs" that are just suggestions

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#24 2020-05-27 17:54:24

DestinyCall

Bug:  Game needs more content.  Please fix.

#25 2020-05-27 18:15:27

voy178

antking:]# wrote:

This would mean we would get new content, but people keep reporting "bugs" that are just suggestions

Right, because the game is worse off with the changes our "bugs that are just suggestions" bring... /s

Board footer