One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-10 01:15:49

Laskara

Yum chain isn't overcoming food penalty in highly developed towns

It hits children and the elderly the hardest, but I can't parse out why in maths terms. I had a yum chain of fifteen and was still frequently close to death in the last town I played, and we'd cooked about every recipe we could with the foods we had (most of them!) even though there was a lot of different food around, a lot of my great nieces and nephews starved because once they'd already eaten it the first time, they needed to eat a lot of it, so food vanished rapidly. If there were more recipes right now, they'd definitely be getting used.

Furthermore, there's potential for a few recipes that would make food production more versatile using existing ingredients in different recipes. Off the top of my head, I can think of a couple things I could easily make with OHOL food that we can't make in OHOL even though we currently posses the necessary ingredients:

> tacos/burritos with potato/fried potato (it's legit and tasty) fish tacos (legit and tasty) or tacos/burritos with multiple ingredient fillings (also legit and tasty)

>pumpkin sweetbread. gives pumpkin and sugar another use.

>ham! we have salt, sugar and pork. It could be combined with other items like green beans on an alternate feast table.

>twice baked potatoes, mashed potatoes (milk and salt), sour cream, and dressed baked potatoes with butter and sour cream. This gives potatoes more yum diversity for very developed towns.

> cakes, pancakes, onion rings, pumpkin tempura (extremely delicious and makes pumpkin less useless), fried shrimp, fried fish (can be added to fries for fish and chips!) and other foods that come from batter, batter could be flour, water and egg or flour egg and milk in a bucket.

>noodles and marina sauce! flour+egg, chopped tomato, onion and water in a pot, on hot coals!

>sandwiches! bread, meats, fish, onion shrimp and tomato all exist ingame already. Sliced bread could be stacked with sliced tomato, onion and a meat to create sandwiches. If beef were implemented, hamburger

>hot sauce! would create "___ with hotsauce" variant for extra yum chain, makes peppers more desirable by adding an extra use

>cheese and beef! Make cows even more useful than they already are. A lot of civs get away with skipping them for an extremely long time.

>bacon! maybe slicing pork on a plate instead of in a bowl gives us bacon, which could be added with butter (and cheese!) to baked potatoes (or sandwiches ;D) to give more opportunities to yum harder and longer than ever

Please chime in if you can think of others- this would be a great, easy content expansion requiring fewer new items than normal since the only new items being added are existing item combo coding and finished products from combining the existing items.

Last edited by Laskara (2020-05-10 01:35:54)

#2 2020-05-10 01:23:46

JackTreehorn

Re: Yum chain isn't overcoming food penalty in highly developed towns

I agree, late generations are a real struggle. my suggestion is pork taco with salsa. Cheese tech would be good too.

Last edited by JackTreehorn (2020-05-10 01:26:07)

Eve Audette

#3 2020-05-10 06:46:44

Gomez

Usually in a given town to get past 10-15 yum you need to cook your own unique foods, wild edibles are a good way to bag some extra value.  Don't forget about using bottles of milk to obtain free yum from food stuff already available, also works with berry and berry bowl.  Coal cooked foods are usually missing in a towns yum chain.  If you were at 15 yum there is still plenty of stuff you didn't eat. 

If you were at 15 yum there is still plenty of stuff you didn't eat.  Typically in a life I get over 15 yum and I consider 15 or below on a yum chain a a minor failure to yum.  I have a pretty high standard and have been yumming quite sometime just for the convenience. After a while it's just second nature to start a fire trap a rabbit, cook the carnitas, roast the duck, drop the palm oil fry the french fries, tortilla chips and then make the ketchup and salsa.

Last edited by Gomez (2020-05-10 06:47:22)

#4 2020-05-10 08:39:23

Nika50501

The current foods and the food system are both fine. The main problem is that when you prepare some unique food people eat it all up rather than using it for yum and people don't really prepare varied food and you end up with people who eat berries till the end of times which cripples your production of more complex foods that come from berries. If you have decent clothes getting to 20+ yum and surviving isn't too hard in theory. Here are some foods that are relatively easy to get - berry, berry in bowl, 8 different pies, 11 corn products (popcorn, corn, milk in bowl, milk in pouch, milk in bottle, skim milk, skim milk in pouch, skim milk in bottle, cooked goose, omelet, cantinas), bread and buttered bread, tomato, onion, green beans, three sisters stew. The one I cannot stress enough are pies and milk! cooks make too much mutton pies and no other toppings. Its better to just cook the excess mutton that you get from dung and prepare different types of pies. Also, if you have a bunch of munchers milk is a very nice product to make in abundance of it since you get 40 food from munching on it for just 1 soil + 1 water + 1 hoe use which is incredibly good.

#5 2020-05-10 10:02:16

miskas

20 Yum is too easy for me never a problem.
If you dont use dry corn and rabbit pouch to make yum food you are doing it wrong.

miskas wrote:

Some of us have a specific diet routine, Wanna know some stats about yours?
Post your loved eating habits in the comments bellow tongue

click here

https://i.ibb.co/JKgHmYp/Screenshot-2.png

*one person at a time

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=9546

Last edited by miskas (2020-05-10 10:21:05)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#6 2020-05-10 12:21:57

StrongForce

Miskas is right. People forget popcorn, all liquids in pouch, green beans, cooked beans and many more easy to make yums

bag yum foods you notice until you are almost starving then eat them all at once. This way you don't waste alot of time.

Yum shrines and yumming will get better over time.
If you make yumy foods place them a bit away from the go to foods like the farm and the kitchen.

Last edited by StrongForce (2020-05-10 12:27:26)

Baby dance!!

#7 2020-05-10 13:14:27

Caprys

BB backribs.

#8 2020-05-10 13:19:35

wondible

I find two things wierd about thy yum system

1. There is this weird pacing where sometimes you eat a couple things at once, and then go for a really long time without needing food at all. It can also be hard to pack for trips - pies don't do it it anymore so how good you are to travel depends on where you happen to be in your yum cycle (large bonus, or just about to run out) rather than the availability of good travel food.

2. There is a yum cliff if you run out of unique foods, where you were fine for a while and suddenly go to ravensouly devouring things. Perhaps its rationalized as a civilization wide nutritional deficiency. Still, you'd expect that to manifest it weakness, not insatiable hunger.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#9 2020-05-11 01:25:11

pein

jason wanted to make yum more viable, it's a tad too much focus on it now
I actually using the hetuw yum feature, sadly it's ruined on crash or sometimes lag? might be annoying to remember all in vanilla

he even set-top cap but not online
he should buff food values and go down a bit on yum
might need another reward for completing a set of 15-20 then it could reset, that would be good, go up to 15 then lose the buffs and do it again, that's varied enough. the original issue was berry munching, right now they still do it and it's horrible resource values for 90% of foods.

you still need to eat some other foods when no yum available or nothing can be made and the values are so low

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#10 2020-05-11 01:56:20

Spoonwood

pein wrote:

jason wanted to make yum more viable

No.  It was already livable or practicable to use yum before.  He wanted to make yum more necessary.  Somewhat similarly to the previous temperature system though, he didn't base changing things on anything that the players were doing or evidence.  Players didn't /die to play colder temperature spots before the temperature overhaul, and anyone who says that clothing got better probably doesn't realize or take into account that the insulation numbers didn't change one point.  I also don't think that players /die out of places under before pip values declined over the generations, because of a lack of yum foods around.

To my knowledge, mere survival isn't the objective of anyone playing this game.  Even people like Dodge have been known to stop playing before old age, and Jason doesn't try to live to old age either.  That's why designing the game on the basis of that if X becomes necessary, the game becomes better, reveals that Jason has been engaged in rather low quality game design.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-05-11 01:58:15)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#11 2020-05-11 03:55:58

pein

different temp spots gave interesting shapes to town, adaptability was more important, sometimes I was thinking about making outposts, nowadays don't really saw any interesting formations, maybe some groups of rabbits or three formations but water is hard to come by so chances are quite low that you find anything to move for

it was a struggle playing in non desert cities, maybe 2-3 ppl knew how to survive and it was fricking easy compared to now
clothes worked one direction, the insulation came later
we also had a big nerf to temp when the basket decay update hit

we had a buff on last pips since

so far I seen people mostly care about the look of the clothing not the values, most kids live a life in a half shoe if that's all they got from their mom
also, lot of players prefer fancy-looking cold clothes over warm ones
since I will survive any way I prefer storage apron/pants but the rest is generally warmer ones, when I scavenge it's good to nott wear much so I can take home more, not too balanced, people hoard clothing from dead towns and players lose a lot of clothes in a 100-200 radius

would be nice to have some more clothing-related stuff
all the weird updates and the old age isnt much of a requirement or a big accomplishment anymore

the game feels more like surviving for no reason but the survival, I miss having goals to achieve, Jason still does this "don't do this" things, everything runs out, everything is backwards, punishment is normal, rewards are  rare, you can only delay death, you can't really overcome problems, player skill and time not really comes into the calculation, he even called exploration and gathering free, when it's far from that
he basically values player input or zero, you care or not, you need to die within 30 gen, if you are bad sooner, if you are good, well it doesn't really matter, you can't find great spots or lengthen your family survival much more

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#12 2020-05-11 05:53:00

Spoonwood

I think I agree on everything Pein, though some families are lasting longer than 30 generations.  Then again, I don't think that a reflection of more people playing, nor of better skilled players.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer