One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-20 04:19:37

thirdplanet

Mystery sounds?

What is up with the far-off bell-tolling sounds in-game lately? What do they mean? They have been happening in almost every game I've played lately, every time it happens one of my children asks me if I want to go to a big city. Do bells tolling mean there is a city nearby? How do my children know? What's the deal?

Semi-related, just because it has to do with game sounds: when the music plays, does that mean it's been a minute? So its a way of keeping track of birthdays, or something?

Discord: kingbaby // be nice!

#2 2018-04-20 04:38:46

Go! Bwah!

Re: Mystery sounds?

I haven't confirmed any of this but here's what I've heard:

After a bell tower is built, it can be rung once an hour (though I've heard elsewhere that it's fifteen minutes).  At that point, anybody within two minutes' running distance will have their home arrow point to the bell tower instead of their home marker, if any.  (It might only work if you have a home marker, but I've seen people get it to work by, after they've heard the bell, creating a home marker and then removing it.)  Generally you can expect any city that has been able to erect a bell tower to be pretty advanced, so if you want to see a big city, as the kids suggest, follow your home arrow.

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#3 2018-04-20 04:43:03

thirdplanet

I love how rumors spread in this game! That makes sense and that is what I've gathered from my children.

What I heard from someone I met near a recently rung bell once, though, was that ringing a bell kills everyone in the vicinity? Kinda like a mini apocalypse? Anyone know if that is true?

Discord: kingbaby // be nice!

#4 2018-04-20 05:22:05

The_Llamacorn

thirdplanet wrote:

What I heard from someone I met near a recently rung bell once, though, was that ringing a bell kills everyone in the vicinity? Kinda like a mini apocalypse? Anyone know if that is true?

I'm 100% certain that that's not true, all it does is set your homemaker to the location the bell is. You should probably try to go there since the city is advanced enough to build a bell. You'll probably be better off living there.

Noobs are fine, but noobs that don't listen and refuse to learn, get on my nerves. Your ignorance will lead you to Donkey Town one day.

"Hugs from grandma"
-Rose Winter

#5 2018-04-20 06:12:01

Baker

I also heard that it was supposed to be "anti-apocalypse" but the apocalypse is disabled so I wouldn't know for sure. Maybe if someone tried to trigger the apocalypse a completed bell tower would be destroyed instead.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#6 2018-04-20 06:18:40

Lily

To me it sounds like an emergency rallying point. If you have no more girls, or population is dropping dangerously low, you ring the bell to bring in all the people! Ringing the bell probably isn't a good thing if your already overpopulated though.

#7 2018-04-20 06:29:14

Aurora Aurora

If you don’t have a home market and somebody on the server rings the bell, the bell will become your home marker.

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#8 2018-04-20 06:32:18

stickyflypaper

The bell rings, and if you don't have a home market, you are shown where the bell tower is.
I took a long journey to find one for the first time. I had a kid along the way. As soon as I finally found the village, I was shot with an arrow. Wow, great , thanks.

In my life after that one, I followed another. At the bell tower, I was attacked by someone with a knife. But I was on guard and got away.

So is the bell tower monument just used to lure victims, or what?

Last edited by stickyflypaper (2018-04-20 06:33:32)

#9 2018-04-20 08:59:38

pein

seems more than two minutes and its a difference in the volume, so i think is more distance, havent managed to find this one but i grew beard rnning, was more than 20 screen lengths away when i died to  a wolf

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#10 2018-04-20 13:35:15

Anshin

thirdplanet wrote:

That's not true, I know because I have rung the bell before. I was a boy born into a large town. Large enough it had guards in blue outfits with wagons full of supplies. (I assume they clean up as they make their rounds?) I was following the wooden roads to see where they went and a guard saw me. He showed me his knife, but didn't kill me. He recognized my family name and gave me a full set of clothes. He showed me the town bell tower, and then went on his way. I couldn't resist, I rang the bell. At the time I didn't know it did anything at all beyond making a ringing sound. I'd heard that sound before in previous lives... and I would hear it again in my next... My next life I was a boy to a wonderful mother who was keeping a fairly advanced homestead running all by herself. She had a few daughters after me but while I was out hunting rabbits everyone died off one way or another. Being the lone survivor I organized everything neatly. Made a full set of rabbit fur clothes and a backpack for whoever might find the place after me. Filled all the baskets with carrots, and left the farm ready to restart. I had nothing left to do so I took a cart full of baskets and thought I might hunt another set of clothes worth of rabbits - when I noticed I had a home marker. I didn't know the bell tolling had anything to do with it. I wondered if my mother had survived after all and that marker was pointing me to her new location. So West I went, for years and years following that marker. It became mesmerizing to see where it went. So much so I forgot to check my food gauge and died fumbling to get a carrot out of my backpack. What an embarrassing way to go. I hope someone found my bones with a full set of clothes, food, and a cart full of rabbits. Enjoy.

#11 2018-04-20 14:36:30

YAHG

Go! Bwah! wrote:

I haven't confirmed any of this but here's what I've heard:

After a bell tower is built, it can be rung once an hour (though I've heard elsewhere that it's fifteen minutes).  At that point, anybody within two minutes' running distance will have their home arrow point to the bell tower instead of their home marker, if any.  (It might only work if you have a home marker, but I've seen people get it to work by, after they've heard the bell, creating a home marker and then removing it.)  Generally you can expect any city that has been able to erect a bell tower to be pretty advanced, so if you want to see a big city, as the kids suggest, follow your home arrow.

Two minutes my ass I ran almost my whole life after that bell, then I got sick of running and played something else. I don't want to play run left simulator lol.

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#12 2018-04-20 14:52:06

Joriom
Website

Each time bell is rang - it sets "ancient home marker" for everyone on the server - no matter the distance. It can be few minutes or few hours away. There is no telling. If you remove your home marker or didn't have any in the first place - arrow will point you in the direction of the bell. Word of a warning though: each bell rang replaces the previous one, so direction might change if other town rings bell as well.

Board footer