One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-27 21:18:46

testo

Problem: I keep spawning as Eve.

- Clear statements of problems that you have encountered.  I don't need to hear dozens of solutions.  I need to understand the problem. - Jason.

I keep spawning as eve (Normally White or Black). I don´t want to play as Eve on BS2, I lose too many points for the gene score and thus toolslots (I don´t really care about the leaderboard). I don´t like having babies either anyways. I tried suiciding asap but as the picture shows I keep respawning as Eve unless I have relatives and lose the gene score. (This has happened several times before).

Eve.png

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#2 2020-04-27 21:31:45

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Problem: I keep spawning as Eve.

Are you suiciding as Eve?

If you have a high gene score, you might be "the one" that gets chosen to be Eve by the server.

If you die young, the server still needs an Eve for that race, so it's waiting for another high gene score user to spawn.... and if your score is higher than most people, it might pick you again.

#3 2020-04-27 21:52:36

Brans

YES!!!! This is a HUGE problem. I also kept spawning as an Eve. I made a go of it, but could find hardly any food while trying to raise 11 children as a nomad. I finally found an abandoned town after menopause with my one surviving daughter. I frickin went from 100 to 460 on the gene scoreboard. NOT WORTH IT! To top it off, one of my grandkids obviously poked awake all the nearby bears... So, all that for nothing.

1.) It's too hard to start as an Eve with no food, no water.
2.) It's too easy to grief-to-death an entire family.

#4 2020-04-27 21:53:46

Spoonwood

Testo:

You said:

Testo wrote:

I don´t want to play as Eve on BS2, I lose too many points for the gene score and thus toolslots

So is the problem playing as an Eve *per se*, or that you're concerned that you'll have so many children who will die young, that your score will get negatively affected?

If there were some limitation on the number of children you could have as an Eve would you act the same way?

Maybe the underlying problem is the problem of too many players starting as babies.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-04-27 21:59:06)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#5 2020-04-27 22:45:28

pein

if you completely remove wild food then you shouldn't allow people to spawn where there is none or refresh wild food around spawn locations

I would not mind spawning as Eve, but I spawned twice in a row as White Eve in the middle of 4 dead towns and had like 6 kids before I could decide what I do.
2 males blocked me out from the only viable town. Also this 2 cases screwed me so much, I went from 60 to 250. 7 slots to 5 which is useless.

I think opting out to be an Eve or not would be nice, or certain race. Whites are so useless I can't help but wanting to kill myself.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2020-04-27 22:46:37

Coconut Fruit

I don't like to play as an Eve too, but not because I care about my score, but because of biome restrictions that make me feel that all my effort will be gone in a few generations. And because of how many babies get born in fresh towns (again, not because of gene score, but because it's just annoying to have so many in super fresh town, they just eat everything and most of them do nothing, hard to tell so many people what to do)
My gene score is usually 40+ with 7 slots, I never check what place I am because I don't really care about it.
Last 2 days I was born as an Eve 2 times, but I just decided to suicide and turn off the game for a while so I wouldn't be born as an Eve again.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#7 2020-04-27 22:53:49

Legs

Let's discuss the underlying issue here. Why don't people want to play eve?

What can we do to fix eve play and make it worthwhile again?

Last edited by Legs (2020-04-27 22:54:10)

Loco Motion

#8 2020-04-27 23:02:39

fug

Legs wrote:

Playing Eve can be fun but if you even remotely care about meme score + tool slots it's a punishment for high score instead of a reward.

Eves also have to deal with the stripped areas they spawn in meaning they're forced to run further from their spawn (which was the opposite effect moving us together was supposed to have) which can negatively effect their mid game.

White Eves are absolutely useless. Basically just kill yourself if you're white to save yourself score.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#9 2020-04-27 23:09:39

Grim_Arbiter

Legs wrote:

Eve has always been 1 of 2 things.

1. Start fresh on your own untouched land.

2. Find a dead village to reanimate

The problem now is with 1. There's not enough "untouched land" around for eves without pushing us apart, which is bad. Only if your a really lucky eve and catch the eve chain on its most north or south dip can you really get fresh land still.

Therefore most of the eves are stuck doing option 2.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#10 2020-04-27 23:14:05

pein

I liked that berry bushes gave one berry. Allowed a bit of moving while the town starved. I thought it's a feature but then jason removed it.

I think wild food should spawn around new Eves again or could be client-side that somewhere in your X radius there is always some wild food, could go up with generation. Should be just one bite foods and only a few, to keep you alive if you are moving, that way exploring would be rewarded.

As for the races. I think the more you play the better you are at the game, so should allow veterans some preferences opt in or out.
Like play as eve or not or what race is preferred.

On the priority list, it could be one of each 3 colours then again then a white eve to reduce their number. they can find others others can't find them, ends up with hoarding all the stuff without any work.

A token based eve system would be best, that when the server needs an Eve, anyone can buy an Eve run. It should be based on overall playtime, that days playtime and other factors, I each unique player sets it's intentions to Eve or not, then we would have a number opted in. could be auto opt-in for players above 50 hours playtime, and active players would need to answer it efore playing any game. Do you want to have a chance to be an eve or not? Then based on family numbers an auction would start and within 10 min the most tokens win. since you spend your tokens, you won't be an Eve for a while so this could give each player a chance.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#11 2020-04-27 23:16:47

Spoonwood

Legs wrote:

Race/biome restrictions came up in Coconut Fruit's post and Pein's comments.

Lack of food and children too early also came up in Pein's comment.

Too many children/too few adults to children ratio also came up in Coconut Fruit's comment.

If the game had an Adam and an Eve spawning next to each other, that would meaning a lower ratio of children to adults, and the high ratio of children to adults especially present in the early game is one of the game's longstanding and recurring problems, as the Steam release (vets fed children somewhat sparingly, from what I understand) and some periods of The Rift indicated.

fug wrote:

Playing Eve can be fun but if you even remotely care about meme score + tool slots it's a punishment for high score instead of a reward.

Eves also have to deal with the stripped areas they spawn in meaning they're forced to run further from their spawn (which was the opposite effect moving us together was supposed to have) which can negatively effect their mid game.

Can you clarify why you fed only people using a certain code indicating them likely on the discord a few weeks ago when the server had gotten wiped during the update period?  Was it just because berries wouldn't respawn... or since you knew you'd be starting from scratch... would you have fed all of your children (sans baby who makes immediate racist/griefer-like comment) even if you had regenerating berries?  Or would you have fed them all after a certain time, like after starting the first fire to fire clay bowls and plates, or finding a spot?

Danish Clinch.

#12 2020-04-27 23:18:40

Spoonwood

Grim_Arbiter wrote:

There's not enough "untouched land" around for eves without pushing us apart, which is bad.

Pushing apart is problematic, because of biome restrictions and needing to find other races to climb the tech tree, correct?

Grim_Arbiter wrote:

Therefore most of the eves are stuck doing option 2.

Quasi-Eveing at best, if you ask me.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-04-27 23:19:44)

Danish Clinch.

#13 2020-04-27 23:20:18

Brans

TBH, I think it's a lot of little things adding up that make it not worth it. It used to be hard, but rewarding, to start as an eve. It was hard enough to get a civilization started while having babies back when all you needed was wild foods and water ponds. Now, there is no constant naturally occurring water and just no food.
It is a punishment for players with higher scores to end up as an eve. And, I agree that not being able to be self-sufficient as a family is a hindrance as well.
Also, it seems that griefers and the fact that it's so hard to progress technologically ensure that families don't live that long anyway. Of the lives I wasn't an Eve today, each town I was born into died or was just about dead by the time I turned 60, despite my efforts.

Why is being an Eve not worth it?
1.) You destroy your gene score trying to raise a family in a food-wasteland.
2.) Your family tree probably isn't going to survive the day anyway, so why risk your score?

#14 2020-04-27 23:27:26

Grim_Arbiter

Spoonwood wrote:

Pushing apart is problematic, because of biome restrictions and needing to find other races to climb the tech tree, correct?

Even before that spoon. Since the start.. or at at least when I started playing. Even before the need to find others, there was always the want to find others. It's human nature.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#15 2020-04-27 23:27:40

Spoonwood

Also, here's another question:

What if as Eve you had naturally occurring near-temperature spots in many places on the map (not just inside of badlands), like the edge of a desert abutting a swamp, or the center of a jungle?  Would that change how any of you viewed being an Eve, or would things remain the same?

Danish Clinch.

#16 2020-04-27 23:42:31

testo

Spoonwood wrote:

Testo:

You said:

Testo wrote:

I don´t want to play as Eve on BS2, I lose too many points for the gene score and thus toolslots

So is the problem playing as an Eve *per se*, or that you're concerned that you'll have so many children who will die young, that your score will get negatively affected?

If there were some limitation on the number of children you could have as an Eve would you act the same way?

Maybe the underlying problem is the problem of too many players starting as babies.

Both.

Playing as Eve in the current system is not really interesting for me. Biomass lock and iron scarcity makes it boring to play finding a free spot in a map full of used spots. If you are Black you don´t really want big jungles or tundra around and you need to run around looking for a big desert with many cactus wich is not really fun. With whites it is even worst, you are dead in the water to find a big green biomass towards the other races just to not get isolated. So Eve in general = boring.

Also having several babies that will eventually die young because of lack of food clothing and understanding of how to survive the early stages affects my gene score and toolslots. Not only I get hurt by my kids, but their kids as well. Which means I get to make a ton of work just to keep a line alive and I get to lose toolslots in the process.

Well maybe If I had 3/5 kids It could be fun to play as Eve even if you get a gene hit. Still the biomass lock makes it boring.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#17 2020-04-27 23:52:14

testo

jasonrohrer wrote:

Are you suiciding as Eve?

If you have a high gene score, you might be "the one" that gets chosen to be Eve by the server.

If you die young, the server still needs an Eve for that race, so it's waiting for another high gene score user to spawn.... and if your score is higher than most people, it might pick you again.

Yes and I will keep suiciding. I don´t want to be "this one" under these conditions.

- Jack Ass

#18 2020-04-28 00:22:32

DestinyCall

I find it equal parts funny and sad that this game "rewards" players who have managed to maintain a high gene score by "letting" them be an Eve (and trashing their score in the process.)

It basically punishes you for caring about your genes by forcing you to be Eve if your score gets too high.   Not a very good reward for your hard work, but I guess it keeps you on your toes.    You never know what might happen next!

#19 2020-04-28 03:56:09

Alontae Balasa

Brans wrote:

YES!!!! This is a HUGE problem. I also kept spawning as an Eve. I made a go of it, but could find hardly any food while trying to raise 11 children as a nomad. I finally found an abandoned town after menopause with my one surviving daughter. I frickin went from 100 to 460 on the gene scoreboard. NOT WORTH IT! To top it off, one of my grandkids obviously poked awake all the nearby bears... So, all that for nothing.

1.) It's too hard to start as an Eve with no food, no water.
2.) It's too easy to grief-to-death an entire family.

Yes, same thing happened to me first time I played Eve. Second time I played Eve I was lucky that the town survived for about 30 generations.

I ask a lot of questions. Thanks for answering them!

.-.. . .- .-. -. / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / - --- / ... .--. . .- -.- / .-- .. - .... / --- - .... . .-. / ..-. .- -- .. .-.. .. . ...

#20 2020-04-28 07:28:00

Alterior

Without luck, eves don't survive. You need outside help or to stumble onto an abandoned village and know what has value within that village as a nomad.

Your biggest job is finding a spot with nearby iron and enough food to last your village into an established farm.
Maybe if you're lucky your speciality biome is nearby.

If I haven't found a spot yet, children are too slow and I let them die. If I have found a spot, two milk dependent children at a time is normally too many.
I have spent eve lifetimes searching for the spot with iron and enough nearby food, only to find it once I'm infertile.

Keep in mind I like to play nomad, one of my favourite things to do when I'm born into a naked early village is disappear into the wilderness as a child with a berry in my hand. Returning as an adult with a backpack, full rabbit clothes, a hatchet, firebow, rabbit snare, sharp rock and basket full of cooked rabbit for the village. Handing off a full set of clothing to a useful kid and telling them to do the same when they get old is rewarding.

You can't play an eve that way, the priorities are different. Solid spots given the new rules are rare. I have walked away from available spots with three or more nearby iron because there is just not enough wild food.
Locking your family and other eves out of nearby iron veins is really common too.
Eve is an aggravating affair that requires so much mastery of the game. To set up something that is so easily broken.

Berry bushes are weeds, tear them up, set them on fire. Corn is the food of the gods.

#21 2020-04-29 06:48:07

testo

Help! I can´t play the game XD the server wants me to be "the one", but I don´t want to. My leaderboard rating is not even that good im like 10 or something.

eve2.png

- Jack Ass

#22 2020-04-29 07:23:29

testo

Perfect. I officially can´t play the game.

eve3.png

- Jack Ass

#23 2020-04-29 07:52:13

DestinyCall

testo wrote:

Help! I can´t play the game XD the server wants me to be "the one", but I don´t want to. My leaderboard rating is not even that good im like 10 or something.

You are the hero we need, testo.   Accept your destiny!

#24 2020-04-29 10:55:28

wondible

testo wrote:

Hardly any children - are you sure you don't have custom server set, or ending up in donkeytown?

Selection is something like best of the last 10 births, so top 10% is about right.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#25 2020-04-29 12:47:06

testo

wondible wrote:
testo wrote:

Hardly any children - are you sure you don't have custom server set, or ending up in donkeytown?

Selection is something like best of the last 10 births, so top 10% is about right.

Yes. I have a few more pictures that prove I was in BS2. As a chocolate Eve I spawned north west of the vanilla family, close to a desert. Since they had a secondary well there I could move without having any children. I took out about 5/6 horses from a desert into prairie biomass while Dana (a coffee lady) pestered me around in her foraign language asking me about my village. I also went to the vanilla family and told them about my sad story. They invited me to colaborate there to which I politely declined. I told them about the location of the horses before running to the closest threat.

- Jack Ass

Board footer