One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-23 22:09:13

Crumpaloo

33 Babies DURING A FAMINE?!?!

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=6154669

Im Gay Kein,

So in short, during a famine of all things, i went into the wild. While there i started having babies left right and center, it just never stopped. It got to the point where i ended up having a total of 33 children, all of whom starved to death as i couldn't support them. This brings up a whole host of issues with the current status of the game, for instance:

1. If Genetic fitness score is suppose to reward good parenting, then why does it punish good parents that cant support their kids, and then go on to punish kids for not being able to be supported?

2. If players can spawn more then 5 times on the same mother in a short span, what does that say about the birthing system in-game? Surely if they kept dying they would eventually be blocked from being birthed to that mother via in-game mechanic, and if not find the numerous mothers on the server who CAN afford to support them instead.

3. If bad events happen in-game like a famine, why would the mother want more babies to further encumber the already encumbered village? Let alone 33 babies while its going on. How is one expected to support so many babies at once while still being able to eat food from the already vulnerable village?

4. If new players spawn into situations like these, where they are forced to die, whats that say about the kind of first impression they will get of the game "we dont got any food and theirs too many babies, so you new player get to die, welcome to the game!!" But as i brought up in point two, these players are spawning back to back on the same mother, so imagine being a new player caught in these loops of starving to death, re-spawning, only to starve to death again? What kind of entertainment is there to be had with that?

Its enough to make a new player refund and never look back, and why bother anyways? Jason you said it yourself, you have on occasion made the game harder intentional or not, and that kind of uncertainty on game mechanics only creates frustration and confusion that pushes new players away from the game. Same for the vets except they dont leave cause they wanna see you continue to build a cool game. That is all...

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#2 2020-04-23 22:22:13

wondible

Re: 33 Babies DURING A FAMINE?!?!

I watched a streamer lose all her life tokens. It was partly her fault - after a certain point she starting /die out of the two large famlies she had been cycling between, both of which were starving. She also noped out of two eve lines at least once, which probably weren't doing too much better. I'm pretty sure she went through at least half of them on pure famine and abandonment.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#3 2020-04-23 22:30:52

Coconut Fruit

Yeah, it was just a bad time, all towns were starving and people were dying like crazy, that's why you had so many babies.

Fun thing is, white's town had lots of water and iron, but nobody was producing food. People were dying like crazy, mothers didn't want to keep boys because we there was no food and they couldn't afford kids.

I mean, everyone could live if only people were working.

Last edited by Coconut Fruit (2020-04-23 22:31:31)

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#4 2020-04-23 22:34:35

pein

In the Klein fam I was full time killing sheep, transporting mutton, making the raw pies, by the time we cook a round the rest was long gone and by the time we collected the plates the rest was long gone

in the meantime people eat a whole berry field and still starve after
I went to gingers, I gave a girl a sheep skin, she thanked, I fed her once she thanked, 20 sec later she starved

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2020-04-23 22:47:47

antking:]#

well their is a sad cycle to famines... a lot of newer players will die out because they might not know enough about yam, or they don't know where to look for food, and then they come back over and over again expecting parents that will take care of them, but during a famine they won't find that, and this can also kill, a lot of moms who feel guilty in leaving a bb, which will result in more bbs, and because when your born you don't start with yam even experienced players who are trying to help as children can easily die, until suddenly their is what I like to call a flash food, where someone who spent a ton of time prepping will create a ton of food, this can be the berry fealds all coming back at the same time or a bunch of stew, or pies.

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#6 2020-04-23 23:40:25

Spoonwood

I swear I talked about the game needing birth control, and revived posts like this one for a reason: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6365

Coconut Fruit wrote:

I mean, everyone could live if only people were working.

Keep dreaming kid.  A 6 six year old can figure out that OHOL is a game, not a job.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#7 2020-04-23 23:58:14

Legs

Famine is a self-perpetuating cycle. People eat bad food because there's no good food. There's no good food because it's produced from bad food. When there's some food security it's easy to maintain output because there are plenty of berries and carrots to feed sheep, you can make so much mutton the bakery overflows and people just cook the meat itself for a nice yum. There's plenty of dried corn to make so many yummy foods. Milk, butter, eggs, goose, carnitas, tacos. Guess what? It takes 4 minutes for that shucked ear of corn to dry, and in a famine people are hoovering them up 3 at a time. They're eating entire bushes worth of berries and a whole row of carrots for one meal. There's no way to deal with a shortage of food except letting everyone starve and starting over with the survivors.

It's a game where you're a new player and you die, or you're an old player and you grind for an hour doing five different jobs to just barely keep the new players alive. Trading so you can run the well so you can farm so you can shepard so you can bake so you can die anyway because the well ran dry and you were so busy feeding everyone you couldn't build an engine or work on getting fuel.

Loco Motion

#8 2020-04-24 00:17:11

DestinyCall

But starving to death is interesting right?   Keeps you from getting bored in late game town anyways.   That appears to be the current goal, so the game is functioning exactly as intended.   

The really sad thing is that during all this nerfing nonsense, Jason has been quietly fixing a large number of bugs and minor annoyances.   These changes are largely positive and deserve recognition, but we have hardly any time to appreciate that killing animals no longer requires hungry work, wheat can be dumped by hand, and skewers won't turn into random knitting needles if you click them together by accident.   So many cool little QoL improvements, completely overshadowed by huge QoL nerfs.

#9 2020-04-24 02:40:52

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

But starving to death is interesting right?

*laughs*  Starving to death as a baby is boring as shit.  I don't believe anyone who says otherwise.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#10 2020-04-24 03:13:06

Melea

DestinyCall wrote:

But starving to death is interesting right?   Keeps you from getting bored in late game town anyways.   That appears to be the current goal, so the game is functioning exactly as intended.

Ugh. I hate that constantly increasing scarcity has been the go-to 'fix' for fast town advancement and some people being bored in advanced towns.

It's so backwards - the fix for too-fast advancement and bored players is to add more meaningful content. To NOT make it absolutely crucial for towns to rush to the top or die out. Camps and villages should be able to sustain at the camp/village level if their population is low enough. By itself that'd give more life-to-life variety. But the speed at which water runs out forces every village into constant fast upgrades (or dying out). Taking such a heavy-handed approach to limiting water, oil, iron, rubber, etc...feels like it cripples the game and promotes more stagnation and same-ness across different lives.

The bug fixes are great, but the current overall trend of "play the way I want" via scarcity, forced advancement, and hard coded inter-family reliance is frustrating.

#11 2020-04-24 04:30:36

pein

played 3 lives today, I don't like to cook all life, so I just helped out on pies, I can use the knife for a lot of high ttech so it's not a dead tool, but the oven is kinda wasteful to me, so I just prepare the  raw resources

One life was at the black camp, I saw yesterday, found a well just 80 away from them. Somebody stole the brown town engine, but not the valve, and browns had kerosene but not an engine, so no water. I was there too yesterday so I knew where the other city is in relation. Also they had some road to gingers.

had some fun moments, one life I found 2 horses in a desert so I invited a white lady to get it back, was 200 tiles on foot, left the other horse at home

got a rope to save one, the other was good, just lost in the desert

she had a baby, but I found her clothes and food and she got one horse, I got the other, stabbed a lot of snakes so others won't un into them

found a 3rd horse snaked so I dropped one horse at white camp I just found
since no one knows where they live, was surprised that I found them. 2 iron mines tipped it off.
So I deconstructed a bow for rope and gave them the horse.
I had to run back and get the other, and I died in between, the white lady told me something but was too late.

This buffed up the cities, since some vets could go around quicker. The whites claimed 3 horses sadly. A ginger lady came to us in brown town, I was a kid. She wanted rubber but no one paid attention, I intentionally spawned as brown, and wanted to help but was too young. Anyway, I got her a pipe and she made the oil right above the city, like 40 tiles. Eventually was up and running just some work was needed.
Some girl got them rubber cause they were at Newcomesn stage.
I  got some more rubber and ran into a black girl, we did not understand each other, I just swapped her horse, after mixing her sulfur with my rubber. Then even dropped some more palm at their place.

Can't say it's better than before.
-Griefers ruin cities by hiding stuff, combining bowls into crocks, smashing random adobe, luring bears, stealing stuff and running around on horses.
-Griefers and idiots steal the horses and run them into snakes.
-Useless white people got no specialty but hoard every horse and every valuable resource.
-Families peak at 20 people and kids die every minute until it's a big mess.
-No wild food at all so you can't even really escape it.
-Veterans struggle with stupid race restrictions, and can't even make the upgrades in time.
-The stay home moms can't teach so many kids.
-Yumming is way too powerful, I had like 94 bonus which laster like 15 years, meanwhile food is crap value.
-Newbies eat 18 bushes in a minute before you could combine the pies together.

It's a broken mess. It's still not hard if you know what you are doing, it's just tedious. No way you gain positive eme score so you stuck at 6 slots, you need to waste it on stupid stuff like closing kiln and weapons against griefers, food production, then you can't build shit.
Water supposed to be free, with some work required, now is like liquid gold and you never get enough.
This carrot patches soak up so much water, you would be better off stabbing everyone who eats them, And the berry fields are even worse.
Then the noob trap of feeding shorn sheep and feeding them. There is no excuse for it now, I cursed a person for it, and she didn't understand, in 15 minutes the pies were eaten and she wasted so much food by her actions if you don't make the pies it's just struggling, no way of controlling the crowd, some actions don't even worth the time they need.

Are we supposed to scrap pond water so people use it up in 5 minutes for 2 minutes worth of food?

I could imagine gameplay where you lock up some fences and use your own resources, teach your own kids, but we don't have enough water for the family, no way of distributing them and no way of keeping alive people. It's just plain dumb.

There is so many stuff to fix, organize and arrange, and with 6 slots and so many idiots around nothing matters.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#12 2020-04-24 19:06:37

tobiasisahawk

pein wrote:

-Useless white people got no specialty but hoard every horse and every valuable resource.

White people have the language specialty.  I think it's supposed to push them into trading, but it ends up not actually helping because they can't make any tradeable goods.

It'd be neat if white people's specialty was expanded to push them more into trading.  Some light changes:
- increase their walk speed a bit
- make wild foods have a special bonus for them. 

Even cooler would be if their specialty pushed them into being nomadic traders:
- unable to interact with wells or iron mines (to keep them from settling down)
- no decrease in food value over time
- hunger decreases slower (to allow them to subsist on less food since they can't really produce food)
- can have bbs anywhere
- home arrow default points to your leader (to allow them to move in trade caravans)
- bbs can walk at birth (families constantly on the move, can't stop every thirty seconds cause you're popping out bbs)
- breastfeeding doesn't cost pips (since they will have to be carrying things they can't continuously hold their bbs)
- immune to hogs, wolves, and bears (vanilla client doesn't give you enough warning before you get killed by these.  It works well for normal lives since you can stay out of dangerous biomes, but nomadic traders will have to spend much larger portions of their lives traversing these.)

#13 2020-04-24 21:08:39

Arcurus

@Crumpaloo lol, now i know why in our world most babies actually need a father

Last edited by Arcurus (2020-04-24 21:08:48)

Board footer