One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-20 19:20:55

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Coming soon: tortilla tables

https://edge.onetech.info/versions

Roll from 1 to 4 wheat tortillas in one go on an empty table, and from 1 to 8 corn tortillas (depending on how much dough is left in the bowl when you dump it on the table).

A table functions in this capacity in a more advanced way than a flat rock (so it's not just a wooden reskin of the old flat rock capability).

#2 2020-04-20 19:23:03

Grim_Arbiter

Re: Coming soon: tortilla tables

Tortilla makers unite

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#3 2020-04-20 19:35:37

Coconut Fruit

Make more tortilla chips people, we can make pretty nice amount of them with only one bowl of masa dough. Ez yum for many people.

...And then pray there won't be a person who eats them all at once :D

Last edited by Coconut Fruit (2020-04-20 20:51:08)

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#4 2020-04-20 19:44:55

Dantox

i like it, feels like an upgrade.

Hopefully we get something similar for foods based on hot-coals

make bread, no war

#5 2020-04-20 19:50:14

jasonrohrer
Administrator

What would the upgrade be there?

People have talked about a stove or whatever, but how would it be better than hot coals?

#6 2020-04-20 19:59:40

miskas

jasonrohrer wrote:

People have talked about a stove or whatever, but how would it be better than hot coals?

An item that can cook both carnitas and pies and omelets. Basically an item that will include 3 ways of cooking in 1

Last edited by miskas (2020-04-20 20:02:20)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#7 2020-04-20 20:06:09

Roosty knife

i enjoy this a lot! Awesome idea. Love the cooking features

Makin' Bacon Burritos.

#8 2020-04-20 20:29:00

sigmen4020

Ain't gonna lie. This looks awesome

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#9 2020-04-20 20:40:55

Grim_Arbiter

miskas wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

An item that can cook both carnitas and pies and omelets. Basically an item that will include 3 ways of cooking in 1

As a cook i can say it would be a flat top. Basically an improved flat hot rock. I cook carnitas and eggs on my flat top at home all the time.

Baking always requires an oven though.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#10 2020-04-20 20:49:27

antking:]#

jasonrohrer wrote:

This is considered an upgrade because it's more efficient, and saves time
People want stoves and whatever because of this, but I personal reason could be if certain recipes were unlocked by using something

ex like instead of a flat rock you get a frying pan, a pan that will last longer on hot coals, and by using a frying pan you can also make bacon a recipe previously unavailable due to tech
or what if you could use brick oven to make a pizza
or what if you add a microwave (that might be stretching things too far)

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#11 2020-04-20 20:50:51

Twisted

Does it only work with a full bowl of dough? I remember there being a bug back when bread was added that you could use an almost empty bowl of dough to make a full bread, thankfully that was quickly fixed.

#12 2020-04-20 20:52:02

Coconut Fruit

Twisted wrote:

Does it only work with a full bowl of dough? I remember there being a bug back when bread was added that you could use an almost empty bowl of dough to make a full bread, thankfully that was quickly fixed.

"Can roll a whole bowl of dough into tortillas on an empty table in one shot (works with any amount of dough left in bowl). Fixes #735"

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#13 2020-04-20 20:53:39

jinbaili83

Waiting for hot coals takes 60 seconds (for hot oven only 15),but the most annoying thing is there is alway some "good" person who stokes your fire so it does not go out.

#14 2020-04-20 20:55:03

Amon

OH this is nice!
I wonder if this will also make us able to make cookies or nut rolls in the future?

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#15 2020-04-20 21:27:03

Grim_Arbiter

d85ab9d39587b72579a690ec68420f80.jpg

This is a flat top griddle that can go over a campfire.

There are also smaller, lower to the ground ones, that cook over coals.

--Grim

#16 2020-04-20 21:33:04

SirCaio

Very nice!

#17 2020-04-20 21:36:23

Coconut Fruit

jinbaili83 wrote:

Waiting for hot coals takes 60 seconds (for hot oven only 15),but the most annoying thing is there is alway some "good" person who stokes your fire so it does not go out.

Yeah, I agree that it is a little bit annoying to wait for hot coals. Because of that I don't like to make some foods like carnitas for example... And I guess it's not only me, we could often see pork meat staying raw for generations with nobody willing to cook it.

Jason, would it make sense if we could instantly make hot coals using a firebrand on a big charcoal pile?

Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#18 2020-04-20 21:39:58

fug

Perfect example of what people say when new tech should replace old tech. What's the only other example of this something like upgraded horse carts?

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#19 2020-04-20 21:40:11

you know this could be an update on it's own

#20 2020-04-20 21:57:08

Legs

jasonrohrer wrote:

Stove traps the heat and stays hot longer before going out. You could balance it by requiring charcoal instead of kindling as fuel.

It also adds infrastructure in the form of a static, dedicated cooking station which people can upgrade with tables and boxes, walls and flooring. Rather than running all over trying to collect a bunch of stuff while waiting for coals you can stage it in storage and then store it on tables, making the whole operation more efficient.

I love the tortilla tables btw, hopefully people start setting up stations for making them.

Loco Motion

#21 2020-04-21 02:58:55

Dantox

jasonrohrer wrote:

Mostly for convenience, saves time and could add to new possibilities for future recipes that require more than a hot flat rock. Also, having more food stations would add more variety to chefs.

make bread, no war

#22 2020-04-21 03:32:19

pein

I mean, the yum changes allow a new playstyle: distributing some unique food for people

since hot coals is a tool, the upgrade can be same category but with some extra functions but also it should be a requirement for something and a reward on it's own

there are quite a few things you can make on hot coals, last time I did sugar, saltwater and paper with the same hot coals but carnitas and omelettes are good too. Having a central item that can be built around makes organizing better. The reason we always had bakeries it's cause the oven goes on middle and everybody knows that's the main bakery so gathering the required items there will save others time. But pork was an issue and still is, since it looks the same as mutton, even with the tiny bones. But at least if we would have an upgraded stove we could gather around that.

Possible upgrades:
-eternal fire (ability to light up a shaft there)
-longer coals (allowing to cook multiple items with a longer delay in between) possibly some sort of timer on it
-instant coals (would need some natural gas to prime it but would light up instantly saving time)
-new recipes which would require a stove but would be able to make better foods, like bacon or combined foods with the triple value
-heating and reheating food on it could give extra yum for a short period
-grill could be also a new way to cook food

requirements:
-it should be built inside building, maybe added to a wall slot
-could have special new plates that can only be used to take out food from stove but they could hold 3 foods together with better yum value and a bigger bite than separately

we could make buffets and fair-style street food

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#23 2020-04-21 03:49:34

Grim_Arbiter

fug wrote:

Perfect example of what people say when new tech should replace old tech. What's the only other example of this something like upgraded horse carts?

Well I mean the old tech definitely serves the early game properly still, just the upgraded horse cart is a prime example of where some tech should lead.

If you have rubber to spare and a horse cart..bada bing convince of more space. A new cart from using your knowledge and valuable aquired resources.

If you have iron to spare and a newcomen hammer.. bada bing convince of being able to use one object for cooking instead of needing two different ones. A new griddle to go over the coals, from using your knowledge and valuable acquired resources.

And the tortilla table is a step in that direction at least

Last edited by Grim_Arbiter (2020-04-21 03:51:05)

--Grim

#24 2020-04-21 03:50:19

we need a hot coals structure as Pien said before, with how it is now when you put a oven in a building it turns into a Bakery if we need some sort of structure that would say:
Hay!! any hot coal or flat rock foods make them in here!!

Now this would be great as it would also  open up a new building in town, so far we have:
the nursery, the closet (if their is enough clothes), the bakery, that random house, and the smithy (sometimes)
and with a hot coals structure that would add another station which will turn into a hot coals building

Plz add a frying pan to remove stress on the flat stone

#25 2020-04-21 12:15:33

DrRoy

jasonrohrer wrote:

Imo there is a lot of design space for improvement.
Stove could not take a whole minute to turn on, add fuel, fire it and you're ready to start.
Stove could have two or more slots, so you could make several things at once.
A stove could be used for the old food and also enables new food etc.

Board footer