One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-04-13 09:35:41

Coconut Fruit

Re: Food nerf

Yumming is the way to go, if someone doesn't yum, they surely won't enjoy this change.
Last life at about 20yo I already had full food bar and +40 bonus pips. Foods give less pips and that means you can eat more foods at once and that results in more + pips from yum bonus.
Ironically this change made that yummers have to eat less frequently... Just wait to a point when you are starving then eat many yum foods at once, you will have lots of time without eating, so you can be productive at that time.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#27 2020-04-13 12:55:53

miskas

Coconut Fruit wrote:

Yumming is the way to go, if someone doesn't yum, they surely won't enjoy this change.
Last life at about 20yo I already had full food bar and +40 bonus pips. Foods give less pips and that means you can eat more foods at once and that results in more + pips from yum bonus.
Ironically this change made that yummers have to eat less frequently... Just wait to a point when you are starving then eat many yum foods at once, you will have lots of time without eating, so you can be productive at that time.

It is already proven that Milk is twice as better than the best yamming
look at this.
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=9378

Last edited by miskas (2020-04-13 12:56:09)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#28 2020-04-13 13:38:16

wondible

miskas wrote:

look at this.
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=9378

Might not change milk, but Twisted just pointed out something I hadn't even thought to look at: food scale applies to yum as well - half, round up. Separately, so both the food and the yum bonus could conceivably round up on their own.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#29 2020-04-13 13:43:08

pein

needs top cap for yum
would have needed it when it was released

it's not fun to keep track of your diet for all your life
nor realistic that you cant ever eat the same thing again

the original issue was the mono diet so I offered an idea of food variety in other games like Stronghold or Tropico where variety increases the happiness and might lower the food needs
goes with no saying that the bonus should be capped bottom and top

it's just a meme running around eating all food types all your life
I did it exactly once and I refuse to be forced to keep track all my life of all the foods I have eaten

also, it's a selfish act, people plant one green bean, one shucked corn just so they satisfy their selfish needs
not even talking about old cities where people go 300 tiles just to eat wild food which was put in the game to help early camps
you might not eat that much as others but you don't contribute either, and that's pissing me off when the best-clothed person in the town doesn't help to keep up a fire or create clothes for others cause it's too busy to make some exotic food just for herself

with a top cap, for like 10 foods, you could chain up to 10 bonus then repeat
also, it would help the city since you can produce your chosen 5-6 foods, then make up the rest of the buff from different sources
it has to be a unique chain, not unique food, so you can either use bananas or tacos, doesn't matter

the goal should be to increase the variety in the whole city, not just yourself
if its a chain of 10 then people can do it easily over an over
chain of 31 can be impossible and wasteful on its own and it's still a meme not a logical gameplay mechanic

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#30 2020-04-13 14:43:26

Morti

Glassius wrote:

You can see Joriom, me and Coconut Fruit are Polish.

How could I have see that?
Nothing I see, makes it clear where people are from, unless they put the information into the forum to display beneath their avatar.
Regardless, I like to treat everyone, as though they are my neighbors.
Even if our countries were in the middle of the worst war in human history, I would still treat anyone that I engaged with on the internet, like a brother, sister, or childhood friend, from the start. Later it may turn out that we feel the same way, as our warring countries, and don't look past the things we dislike, but for me, it is much more important, that I assume the approach of an 8 year old boy, to another 8 year old boy and every relationship, begin as neighbors.

Glassius wrote:

The mentioned video here: https://youtu.be/bVkKavTffwE

I wish I could understand spoken Polish. Youtube used to have an autotranslate option, and it helped for 50% and I could gloss over the 50% that didn't make sense and begin to see the message that was coming through in the translations, but I can't see that now. It's a high quality video, I wish I had a better sense, of the feelings the narrator is having, as he is describing his experience.

Is that one of you? Speaking? Or are you simply pointing out the moment they caught you on camera? in their (TVGRYpl) video?

No matter; still neighbors, still friends, still family. Thank you for sharing the video.

Glassius wrote:

I am not playing since magic property fence was introduced. I dislike voodoo solutions and constant nerfing/fixing the game. However, I've developed some kind of Stockholm syndrome and keep reading the forum hoping the game will move forward. I was advertising it among my friends. But now, when someone asks me about the game "you only life an hour", I say honestly the developer stucked in the cursed circle of nerfing/fixing the game with gamechanging mechanics. I worry the number of players will decrease so much by the time he will start providing content again, the game will become not playable sad

This is a full suitcase. We have what we want, and we have what we get.

I only want a chance to give Jason a sincere hug, for the fire he has started with this game.

Whatever becomes of it, there is no denying what it has been, for most of us.
No sense in denying, the feelings we've taken, from experiencing it together.

Only the senses of a real, physical, gesture, of thanks, respect, love and appreciation, for this undertaking, will ever really scratch the surface, exposing the, fossilized titanosaur, of emotions, connections and life, of experiences, that this game has afforded me. The game can hardly be compared to others, because it is tackling things most others have never seen. It's a game, alone, in the wild, in a lot of ways. And there are many bears, packs of wolves, and challenges; challenges to stay alive, as a human being, in these wilds. It represents a lot of brave steps. I won't forget them.

I can't forget them.

Najlepsze z życia dla ciebie, przyjacielu.

#31 2020-04-13 14:50:25

Morti

pein wrote:

chain of 31 can be impossible and wasteful on its own and it's still a meme not a logical gameplay mechanic

We need "real" variety.

#32 2020-04-13 15:05:06

pein

Lol life of Blian

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#33 2020-04-13 15:18:25

Coconut Fruit

Pein, top cap would make it so boring and totally not worth yumming at all. Just give yum a try, it's funnier and easier than you think, you see "yum/meh" when you holding a food, and it's not hard to remember foods that you ate. I love to see towns alive instead of what it was before - people being damn lazy because they didn't actually need to do anything.
And I don't think yumming is a selfish act, the more yummers, the more different foods we will see in towns. Even if someone plant one green bean, it has 5 uses, right?.
When I cook, I cook many different pies now, I don't care that I make berry pies, I don't care eating raw corn, they are still great foods for yummers, and it's damn fun.

miskas wrote:

I made 26 yum chain one life, is milk still better? Maybe a little, but the downsite of drinking only milk is that you need to drink it every while, getting it with you outside of town is inconvenient and most important drinking only milk would be damn boring. With yumming you can easily make your food bar having +40 food bonus, and you can forget about eating for a long time and focus on your job.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#34 2020-04-13 16:15:08

AmberA

Coconut Fruit wrote:

Pein, top cap would make it so boring and totally not worth yumming at all. Just give yum a try, it's funnier and easier than you think, you see "yum/meh" when you holding a food, and it's not hard to remember foods that you ate. I love to see towns alive instead of what it was before - people being damn lazy because they didn't actually need to do anything.
And I don't think yumming is a selfish act, the more yummers, the more different foods we will see in towns. Even if someone plant one green bean, it has 5 uses, right?.
When I cook, I cook many different pies now, I don't care that I make berry pies, I don't care eating raw corn, they are still great foods for yummers, and it's damn fun.

miskas wrote:

I made 26 yum chain one life, is milk still better? Maybe a little, but the downsite of drinking only milk is that you need to drink it every while, getting it with you outside of town is inconvenient and most important drinking only milk would be damn boring. With yumming you can easily make your food bar having +40 food bonus, and you can forget about eating for a long time and focus on your job.

+1

I completely agree. I love yumming, its so fun to do. Even if it's not the most efficient, I do it because I find it fun...and that's the whole purpose of playing a game, to have fun.

I really enjoy yumming almost every life It's like a mini game. It's not for everyone and that's fine but I do think yumming and doing it well should be the best food option in the game otherwise why even have the mechanic. Even with yumming now, it's hard to survive unless you are in a good town.

#35 2020-04-13 17:08:00

pein

fun like remembering an excel spreadsheet from memory
pointless and annoying

I did give a try that's why I hate it
I gave the original idea for it that's why I don't like the implementation

with your 54 yum chain you spend all of your life, in the meantime I make 4x48 pies

you could set up the yum chains for others with 10 foods and they could have their gate to it, but not with 54 foods
and it's a bad feeling you can't max it out, but pointless to do so

you should eat to live not live to eat

you might like it but it's not balanced and forcing it on the whole player base is pointless, I would say most of the community won't care and the players who know how ineffective it is won't like it, so you are not in majority
forcing a chain of 10 would increase the overall variety and effectiveness

on the other topic, I made the proper suggestion of yum reward: you get a charge of "free hungry work" for each 10 yum
and from your post I can already say that you don't do the jobs you could do, like killing shorn sheep or pig, cause you aim to make a high meme yum score for no reason

#36 2020-04-13 19:32:38

Coconut Fruit

pein wrote:

and from your post I can already say that you don't do the jobs you could do, like killing shorn sheep or pig, cause you aim to make a high meme yum score for no reason

I actually do kill sheep, without doing any hungry work, it would be hard to get over 20 yum chain...

This morning(eu time) I managed to build whole engine in brown's town (without lathe, no tool slots left). Had to smith all iron ores into steel ingots, brought tons of kindling, I also cooked lots of pies and got rubber for our newcomen pump that had 2 uses yet. All this in one life, eating only yum foods. I mean, you can be as efficient as when having mono diet.
I don't aim to make a high yum score, I just use this mechanic because I like it and it's efficient... At least now, before foods get reworked again.

don't call it "meme yum" only because you don't like it. Give it another try, you are too inexperienced in yumming to say you hate it.

Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#37 2020-04-19 19:40:49

Glassius

Morti wrote:
Glassius wrote:

You can see Joriom, me and Coconut Fruit are Polish.

How could I have see that?

Because I told you smile Just to be sure, are you from Germany?

Morti wrote:

Even if our countries were in the middle of the worst war in human history,

I look at it the different way. The Polish-German states border was the most constant for Poles. That condition changed only because of unification of Prussia with other German states, which created the interest in joining German territories at the cost of Polish coast line. The Prussia was an architect of partitions of Poland and forced also Russia and Austria to be involved in.

The end of Prussia means the end of Polish-German territorial conflict. I am educating people in my country at that subject which tells, even from geopolitic perspective, Polish and German can now be friends again and have mutual interests. Just like before Brandenburg-Prussian union.

But even if our states were in conflict, I would treat individual German with respect.

Morti wrote:

Is that one of you? Speaking? Or are you simply pointing out the moment they caught you on camera? in their (TVGRYpl) video?

No. It is a link from Coconut Fruit quote. We both get to know OHOL from that video. The guy in the video has a nick Hed and is a professional game reviewer. Many Polish people love him for self-irony and his sense of humor.

Regarding jumming: it is only for veterans. It will not make newbies life easier, because it is counter-intuitive and they simple don't know how it work. And even part veterans like pein do not like it nor utilize it.

Morti wrote:

Najlepsze z życia dla ciebie, przyjacielu.

Quite a good translation. Nobody says that way in Polish, but it is not incorrect smile

Board footer