One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-02 17:45:17

miskas

Yummers and MinMaxers ,I did the math for you!

Outdated post  read this https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=9524

first of all here is a messy screenshot and the source to look them yourself
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ … 6&range=A1

ohol.png

let's explain now

Yummers:
-collum B and N (food/ water) show the food intake you have in relation to the Water cost of this food source.
Collum B shows the Mono-diet water efficiency and collum N shows the Yamming efficiency ( to build my yum chain I only used the most efficient foods in-game)  Even with the most efficient foods, Yuming efficiency drops under 100 after the 5th food bite. Milk mono-diet efficiency is 391.

MinMaxers:
Milk those cows every day smile

Last edited by miskas (2020-04-20 08:28:48)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#2 2020-04-02 18:02:40

Gogo
Banned

Re: Yummers and MinMaxers ,I did the math for you!

We just need cows. Avoiding yumming will also benefit with LESS kids = more well educated kids. tongue Have 1-2 kids, educate them, tell to drink milk and feed cows, avoid overplanting, teach what to bring and how to do advanced stuff. That's all folks!

#3 2020-04-02 18:08:02

DestinyCall

Focusing on milk production and meat pies is the best route.   We generate mutton and wheat as a byproduct of composting and rabbit meat as a byproduct of backpack making, so meat pies are essentially free, if you are doing it right.   Milk takes a decent time investment and patience to wait for the cow to get ready, but it is the most water-efficient renewable food by a wide margin.    Other options, like carnitas, look good on paper, but mass producing enough carnitas for a whole village is an enormous undertaking, compared with making enough milk to accomplish the same thing.

#4 2020-04-02 18:09:43

Elsayal

You don't need mutton to produce compost.

"I go"
"find"
"ging"

#5 2020-04-02 18:10:58

DestinyCall

You do not NEED mutton, but you can generate mutton as a free byproduct.    So why not make free food?

#6 2020-04-02 18:25:05

Coconut Fruit

I wish yumming was always the best choice, even when yumming with less efficient foods.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#7 2020-04-02 18:28:44

DestinyCall

Yumming on good foods is always a good choice.  But yum bonus doesn't make a bad food miraculously good.    It is still a rubbish food if you have equal access to less terrible options.   

You shouldn't be wasting water on a pepper farm when you can reach max yum without making salsa.

#8 2020-04-02 18:29:10

pein

without top cap, yumming is still a selfish act. the purpose is overall high efficiency, not personal max.

kinda weird iron scores. why so much iron for mutton pie? isn't it a one-time investment for the iron? calculates shovel for compost?

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#9 2020-04-02 18:46:42

wondible

Coconut Fruit wrote:

I wish yumming was always the best choice, even when yumming with less efficient foods.

jasonrohrer wrote:

YUM should be necessary, eventually, for survival.  It isn't, currently.  It will be.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 534#p92534

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#10 2020-04-02 19:06:45

miskas

pein wrote:

without top cap, yumming is still a selfish act. the purpose is overall high efficiency, not personal max.

kinda weird iron scores. why so much iron for mutton pie? isn't it a one-time investment for the iron? calculates shovel for compost?

Shit! I had the same question as you Pein. it was a copy-paste mistake, I corrected it in the datasheet but forgot to upload the new image.
there you have it now refreshed.

Last edited by miskas (2020-04-02 19:09:54)

Food value stats

#11 2020-04-02 19:09:12

Coconut Fruit

DestinyCall wrote:

but you can generate mutton as a free byproduct.

Mutton is a free byproduct as long as we keep making soil. In bigger towns we could see a whole boxes of dung, that means people were making sheep just to get its meat, or make clothes (people should make clothes only as a byproduct btw)

Btw, I often see people feed shorn sheep. To prevent that we should kill shorn sheep right away whenever we see them... Or maybe it's not the best solution... Because then people will make more sheep even when they don't need them and probably shear them soon after... No way to prevent that with current communication system I guess.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#12 2020-04-02 19:57:14

DestinyCall

Coconut Fruit wrote:

Btw, I often see people feed shorn sheep. To prevent that we should kill shorn sheep right away whenever we see them... Or maybe it's not the best solution... Because then people will make more sheep even when they don't need them and probably shear them soon after... No way to prevent that with current communication system I guess.

The feeding of shorn sheep is why every town has an abundance of dung.    Sheep used to only produce dung when you fed a baby.  Feeding a shorn sheep restored the wool, but did not produce dung.    Therefore, meat production and composting were tied together.     You could feed a bowl of berry/carrot to a baby to produce mutton/dung/wool or you could feed a shorn adult to produce wool ONLY. 

Unfortunately, people are lazy and short-sighted, so it was a common issue to have new or inexperienced players "break" the compost cycle by feeding shorn sheep instead of making meat/dung along with wool.  Back in those days, running out of composted soil was a frequent frustration.   Eventually, sheep were changed so that every time you feed a sheep, it will poop.   So if you feed a baby sheep you get a new sheep that gives wool/mutton/dung.  Or you can feed a shorn adult sheep and get wool/dung (no meat) for the same cost.   

The main advantage to feeding shorn adults is speed and space-efficiency.   If the sheep pen is small and you are in a hurry to produce a bunch of fleeces so you can make some fancy clothing, you can produce a lot of wool (and poop) quickly by shearing and re-feeding adults rather than feeding and slaughtering the babies.   Feeding babies produces a bunch of free meat that you don't care about, because you are making clothing right now, not pies.   It takes time to clear out a dead sheep and if you don't kill them yourself, they will clutter up the pen.   But killing sheep is hungry work AND clearing out a dead sheep involves multiple trips, taking baskets of mutton to the bakery and moving the bones out of the pen.    Feeding adults is fast, doesn't require a knife/hungry work, and makes your job easier (if you only care about fiber production).   

But feeding adults also means you are missing out on a bunch of free food. 

My advise is to make sure your pen is large and kill shorn adults for meat.   Keep at least one adult sheep (unsheared) or one mouflon alive at all times.   Feed the babies to make more sheep products.    The dead babies look messy, but they naturally decay quite fast.  You don't have to worry about the pen filling up with baby corpses if it is a decent size.   A proper shepherd can do wonders for your town's food supply.   Don't be a lazy sheep feeder.   

Feed the babies.

#13 2020-04-02 20:11:14

fug

The correct way to dispose of sheep:

Feed baby > Kill once it grows > Shear sheepskin if looking to make thread, if not pass to naked adult.

Basically you do not shear adults otherwise people will feed it again. By killing it once it grows you then have two options: either shears on the sheepskin which gives you the same amount of wool OR convert the sheepskin to saddle/shirt for naked people.

Basically murder then shear instead of shear then murder.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#14 2020-04-02 20:54:25

pein

keeping the mouflon alive would be best, so people can feed the lambs any time. I killed a few shorn sheep and a dickhead tried to get me cursed for 'killing all sheep", then when I told him to feed the lambs he said he knows what he is doing, apparently not but nvm
we still got way too many mutton meats and people cook it directly which is decent

once you shear it the wait timer for the sheep to have a lamb and the lamb to grow up are roughly the same so you can shear and kill it right away
the idiots who get annoyed by dead lambs are the worst. one sheep will use 3 tiles, you can't change that, shearing sheep then feeding again is bad.
But also we get way too many poop and storing it won't change much, we should be able to use it for some other things like maybe making worms?

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#15 2020-04-02 21:17:55

miskas

my new favorite way to play and Teach/influence people.

collect all buckets of the village and produce milk, distribute them in the bakery, smithing, nursing, stew area, berry patch.
(let only 4 buckets with water, in smithing, bakery, bush/carrot/wheat farm and 1 next to corn. 

eat from a bucket of milk to kill all the shorn sheep ( let one sheep).
fill a box with poop so you don't run out of soil even if all sheep get killed

Watch people learning to eat from milk buckets,
coming in the sheep pen and asking how to feed/breed sheep
see people actually change their attitude and start feeding bbs.

The best way to influence people's way of living is through changing their environment.

Last edited by miskas (2020-04-02 21:22:03)

Food value stats

#16 2020-04-03 03:57:39

minth

If you have to use an excel sheet in the game you are too serious:v
Anyway thank for Miskas that now I know yum-chain is not that food efficiency (but still good tho)
Variety of food bring fun to the game don't force ppl to drink milk all-day
And where is my turkey? Is it the best food sources or what? No water consumed and an insane amount of food value

Last edited by minth (2020-04-03 03:59:36)

#17 2020-04-03 04:16:42

DestinyCall

Only downside to turkey is that when you eat all the turkeys, there are none left to wear as hats.

#18 2020-04-03 05:04:05

minth

I thought turkeys respawn?
Add a feather to the hat is useless anyway. You don't need all the feathers.

#19 2020-04-03 05:09:09

DestinyCall

Nothing respawns.   But the world is big, so there are lots of them.

#20 2020-04-03 07:29:23

miskas

Excel is my hobby actually, I do analysis for fun.

I haven't calculated the food efficiency of turkeys because they cant be produced at your will you only gather them from the wild.

also to calculate the cost of hunting them I would need to do HEAVY logistical and diminishing returns calculations that I don't have the data either the knowledge to do so. The cost of turkeys is the food you burn walking trying to find them + 1/101 iron + 1 water.
Their water efficiency would be under 218. Milk is still better than hunting turkeys btw tongue

Last edited by miskas (2020-04-03 07:31:00)

Food value stats

#21 2020-04-03 15:32:04

pein

you also left out the triple pie, we are around 31 foods or more by now

you can walk 100 tiles a minute, you use around 3-4 pips by that time based on the clothing you got
ofc covering the whole map on foot is quite hard, but you don't need to cover the whole map, there are rules which make it easier to find the outer rings of biomes between all the badlands.

you can also use a horse and store the bow and then it's 3x faster
distance still limits you
even 80 tiles are quite a lot, many people over days can go around 150x150 or more slowly but the real issue is that you got no information about that so people exploring the same thing is really wasteful

#22 2020-04-09 13:37:02

miskas

I had some more time to procrastinate today so I calculated our Last week's consumption.

we operated at an efficiency of 28 food per bowl of water and 5048 food perused Iron.
Essentially we use 18 buckets of water and 1 iron to keep feeding ourselves
Screenshot-1.png

*calculation has an about 4% margin of error.

Last edited by miskas (2020-04-09 13:44:14)

Food value stats

#23 2020-04-09 13:47:09

Elsayal

I am confused.
I don't understand the food worksheet :

Why do you need 1.1 soil for carrot ?
Why do you need 0.86 water for a bowl of berries ?
Why only 1.1 water for mutton and not 1.2 (bowl of berries + 1/5 carrot water) ?

And ... some others things.
Maybe there is a global explanation because it doesn't make sense to me.

"I go"
"find"
"ging"

#24 2020-04-09 15:27:27

miskas

In carrot cost is also calculated the cost to produce the Carrot seeds
A bowl of berries has 6 berries, a bush produces 7

same reason muton needs 6/7 of berries and carrots have seeds cost included

Last edited by miskas (2020-04-09 15:28:22)

Food value stats

#25 2020-04-09 23:44:25

BlueCramberry64

This thread is amazing! Didn't know all of this. Love it!

Board footer