One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-08 20:29:29

Mr.XIX

meme-score feels bad when tied to tool-slots

So I'm probably ranting right now, but I like to hear what other people think about this ongoing issue.

I feel like I can't influence my own score when I get born in a large town.
Many babies who get born just die.
They are not invested yet and don't care about the family.

In one life my score manages drops from 46.60 to 39.60.

It leaves a real sour taste because I feel powerless.
There was food and there was water.
What more can I do when I am a thousand blocks away trading rubber tires?

I don't think this is normal score behaviour and it should not work this way.

This way nobody will never be able to get more tool-slots.

#2 2020-04-08 21:03:35

fug

Re: meme-score feels bad when tied to tool-slots

Maybe when you're so far away from your family they don't count against/for you?

How are you supposed to making a meaningful effect on someone living 2k away? Why should you get a bonus from people you've never even been near?

Best bet is to just nope out of the system and kill yourself if you run out of tools or get useless tool slots. As someone who either plays with unlimited slots (due to server reset) or 5 slots it incentives you to just suicide (which harms others score.)

By caring about meme score you're just pigeonholing yourself into your own cage. Set up whatever you're going to do (for example building a fishing hut) then proceed to kill yourself and rejoin the family then do whatever you were gonna do.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#3 2020-04-08 21:09:14

pein

yeah, that's why we call it meme score, it's totally random and you got barely any control about it
saying that raising babies is more important than tech is highly debatable, it reduces your options

you can't go around 40 minutes to force feed your kids

also slots punish veterans who care about work, that's a double nerf to them while roleplayers who just sit near fire and eat, are rewarded for the passive style.  also slots are so bad cause they link a logical mechanic to a non-logical meme system.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2020-04-08 22:22:27

Spoonwood

Resenting players ability to do things and basing game changes on that basis doesn't work well, as tool restrictions show.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#5 2020-04-08 22:56:47

Coconut Fruit

pein wrote:

also slots punish veterans who care about work, that's a double nerf to them while roleplayers who just sit near fire and eat, are rewarded for the passive style.

That was the reason we got tool slots. Jason wanted to slow down veterans.

I actually don't care about tool slots that much... They have little impact on the game, they don't really ruin it.

Biome restrictions for the other hand ruin many aspects of the game and give practically nothing positive in return.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#6 2020-04-09 01:09:32

Karrots

I like the extra tool slots, but I remember the pain from when I tried (and fucked up) being an Eve. My memescore plummeted faster than China's pollution.

Big ouch. I'd rather have no memescore and no tool slots tbh.

#7 2020-04-09 01:35:55

pein

little to no impact?
I always tried to fix things, make city logistics better, a fence here, a road there, make a tool they miss, cook some pies, adapt to whatever needed or tidy up things

it's not equal doing smithing or cooking an omelette

Making a fire? sure but why would you make 10+ fires in a life? especially that everyone is keeping up a fire?
Why would I want to make 50 wheels? I'm not that azrael yet.

He tried to force teamwork but this is not teamwork, actual teamwork would be that you can save energy by letting others help you so you are happy working with others, not that they need to do it for you. I would have been okay with a stamina limit that I need to rest time to time but do whatever I want for 2-3 minutes in a row.

Also like pencil is a roleplayer tool but they too dumb to mark a few bowls for scrap metal.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2020-04-09 04:07:38

BlueCramberry64

Gene score restrictions over tool sloth drove me away from town restauration, and in general, from caring about towns.

Used to be able to fix the farm, get iron, make food, get sheep and water all in a single life. Including the necessary tools like buckets and carts while caring for my kids.

Now to do that you need several lives, even if you have the maximum amount of tool sloths possible. Not worth it unless you play a lot.

Nowadays I do more roleplaying while making small contributions. Doesn't make memorizing the entire tech tree worth much.

#9 2020-04-09 05:50:35

Elsayal

pein wrote:

it's not equal doing smithing or cooking an omelette

Making a fire? sure but why would you make 10+ fires in a life? especially that everyone is keeping up a fire?
Why would I want to make 50 wheels? I'm not that azrael yet.

Maybe some tools shouldn't be counted in tool-slot.
At least the Flint-tipped Bow Drill should be merged with the Bow Drill tool-slot.

"I go"
"find"
"iron"

#10 2020-04-09 05:55:29

Elsayal

BlueCramberry64 wrote:

Gene score restrictions over tool sloth drove me away from town restauration, and in general, from caring about towns.

Used to be able to fix the farm, get iron, make food, get sheep and water all in a single life. Including the necessary tools like buckets and carts while caring for my kids.

Now to do that you need several lives, even if you have the maximum amount of tool sloths possible. Not worth it unless you play a lot.

Nowadays I do more roleplaying while making small contributions. Doesn't make memorizing the entire tech tree worth much.

I go the exact same way.
Is it a bad thing, or is it just getting "older" ?
Well, the kids (new players) will eventually figure out what the town need and simultaneously got a purpose, giving their life a meaning too.

"I go"
"find"
"iron"

Board footer