One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-07 09:03:38

Elsayal

What is killing ?

Some time ago in a distant downdate, we were able to kill anyone on sight.

In one of my best souvenir, I was the last girl born, my mum was killed by a wolf or a snake, and my dear uncle was the last person alive in our small camp. He fed me, as my mum ask him to do when we ran together to the center of the camp. He was really old, and worked as a crazy man, to provide some tools for the next generation, until his last breath, litteraly.

And I was a lucky mum, giving birth to four or five girls. Population in the camp started to grow up. Sitting at the fire, breeding babies and taking care of some food from time to time, I told my daughter the story of their grandma and my uncle.

One day, for some reason, one of my girl shot me down with a bow, when I was around 30 or 35, claiming that it was an accident. I didn't trust her but when I saw my daughter diving in argument, instead of taking care of the babies or the farm. My last words were "I trust you", for the sake of the camp.

At this time, you didn't need the mob to follow you to commit murder. And best stories emerge from that.

I would be glad if the possibility of killing people on sight remain a thing.

"I go"
"find"
"iron"

#2 2020-04-07 13:18:50

arkajalka

Re: What is killing ?

Yap, i hate the care bear system we have now.

Cursing is way too strong and people use it the wrong way. I have been cursed several times for just fooling around as a old man/lady, eventhough i provided so much for the town.

The group system we have now,  basically makes it so that we have almost 0 kills. Only kills there are, are done by team of grieffers or a inbred inside group mass cursing you and killing you for ridiculous reasons. The later one makes me hate this game and take big breaks or go on a grieff spree(usually i just decide not to play).

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#3 2020-04-07 14:45:04

pein

Gonna have to put yourself the question: why not kill the person you curse?
I don't see any scenario where people piss me off and I would be like "oh I just curse her and let her run around, curse me and convince others to curse me"
Maybe some accidental mistakes or strong opinion to bullshit activities like the only clothed person yumming and not doing anything for the camp, why naked people struggle. But then I have to walk out the camp and curse so he doesn't see it. Or maybe when the griefer runs around trolling and nobody can catch it. But most cases killing them is quite appropriate if you curse them.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2020-04-07 15:59:45

AmyJ

I definitely miss the dramatic lives you could get when killing was still a thing. Almost all of my most remembered lives are from some killing-related betrayal or murder mystery or an unexpected raid. I miss the early(ish) months of this game. Even the sword update was fun for a little while, it certainly added tension.

#5 2020-04-07 16:32:37

Legs

Remember when someone running around with a bow and arrow in town was very suspicious? Remember when someone with a knife in their pack and no reason to have it was suspicious? Remember when people would keep distance during arguments for safety? Someone could just pull a knife and stab you, just like that. A serial killer could lurk on the edge of town with bow and arrow to murder with no witnesses. I miss that drama and tension. The murder-mouth yakety sax chases were so goofy and stupid in comparison, and not murder doesn't even exist any more. People kill by building property fences and trapping idiots inside. They do it in plain sight with their name on the gate and nobody does anything about it. Nobody CAN do anything about it, because of the no solo update.

You stand there making murder mouth trying to teach noobs how to posse for ten minutes while the guy keeps trapping and starving them. It's like some comical who's on first bit. Say I join you. You join me? No, say that you join me. You join me. No, no, say the words I join you. I join you. Oh, you have to be holding something first though.

It's ridiculous and broken and stupid.

Loco Motion

#6 2020-04-07 16:44:21

AmyJ

Surely now with curses the way they are, being able to solo kill wouldn't be so much of an issue anyway, as those who did it too often would just get banished.

#7 2020-04-07 17:08:45

Legs

It's unfortunate, cursing should be a nuclear option. Killing someone should be enough most of the time. Now you HAVE TO curse people. It eliminates any spectrum of force. There's no talking->violence->curse. Just the curse.

I'm sure it's great for a game with such a small playerbase to have so many regulars on constant month-long bans huh.

Loco Motion

#8 2020-04-07 19:34:11

DestinyCall

Shouldn't killing be reserved for extreme cases also?   If life in OHOL is supposed to be precious and valued, we should not spill blood too casually.    A murder in the middle of the village should be a rare occurence, not business as usual.   

I would like to see more non-lethal options available for dealing with people who are annoying or disruptive, but not  worthy of a curse or posse kill.    It shouldn't be a choice between doing nothing and throwing around curses or random stabbings.  Ideally, you should have a few more tools in your arsenal.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-04-07 21:33:31)

#9 2020-04-07 20:04:15

Gogo
Banned

pein wrote:

Gonna have to put yourself the question: why not kill the person you curse?

If this person is obvious pain for others, eventually you will have the posse. It's more realistic that you need to live with someone you don't like.

I like how it is now, killing for no reason was dumb.

Last edited by Gogo (2020-04-07 20:04:32)

Board footer