One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-16 10:05:19

TrustyWay

Is it a crime to kill males ?

Wonder what are you feeling about it ?

Sometimes when babies spawn, I let starve some boys. When males grow and if they are not that much hard worker or on the farms I kill them

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-04-16 10:06:21)

#2 2018-04-16 10:14:15

Aurora Aurora

Re: Is it a crime to kill males ?

It isn’t a crime to kill anyone who isn’t hardworking. But I always give baby boys a chance.

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#3 2018-04-16 10:27:12

OneLife Worker

It isn’t a crime if you sacrifice them as babies

#4 2018-04-16 10:36:40

Lavea

I try and give everyone a chance. The only situation I can see where it would be fair to kill the boys, is an Eve who can only support one baby and has a boy and a girl. The girl is needed to continue the civilisation.

I spawned in one fairly advanced civ where they were sacrificing all the boys. Seemed to just be for the giggles. So yes, crime. My lovely mum called me Rex and saved me from the baby killers.

So far I've always, at least tried, to support any children I have, though sometimes it's close to impossible and the attempt is short lived.

#5 2018-04-16 10:42:39

Baker

I don't think civs should ban them outright, I can understand killing boys if you already have tons and no girls. But it pisses me to no end when I'm repeatedly killed for no reason other than being a boy, especially when the said village has a huge surplus of supplies anyway.

It's gotten so bad that even the male babies are suiciding because they think being a boy is useless. When boys are kept they are basically second class citizens, they are expected to be working at all times to serve, spending their entire lives catering to the wishes of there female overlords.
So we're just expendable workers, enslaved for a lifetime and can be killed on a whim.

But women become royalty, they are told how valuable and special they are from birth, they are told not to worry about having boys. They can play god by choosing who gets to live and die. They can sentence there sons to a lifetime of thankless labor from birth. It is now becoming socially acceptable within the game to murder any male with impunity.

Nobody in this society will bat an eye if a male is killed, they aren't that important anyway right. So no, according to the majoraity of people killing males is not a crime, hundreds are killed every single day.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#6 2018-04-16 11:01:30

Aurora Aurora

Baker wrote:

I don't think civs should ban them outright, I can understand killing boys if you already have tons and no girls. But it pisses me to no end when I'm repeatedly killed for no reason other than being a boy, especially when the said village has a huge surplus of supplies anyway.

It's gotten so bad that even the male babies are suiciding because they think being a boy is useless. When boys are kept they are basically second class citizens, they are expected to be working at all times to serve, spending their entire lives catering to the wishes of there female overlords.
So we're just expendable workers, enslaved for a lifetime and can be killed on a whim.

But women become royalty, they are told how valuable and special they are from birth, they are told not to worry about having boys. They can play god by choosing who gets to live and die. They can sentence there sons to a lifetime of thankless labor from birth. It is now becoming socially acceptable within the game to murder any male with impunity.

Nobody in this society will bat an eye if a male is killed, they aren't that important anyway right. So no, according to the majoraity of people killing males is not a crime, hundreds are killed every single day.

That’s why I love my sons a lil extra. To show them that not everyone hates them and that I think they’re still special even if they have a penis.

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#7 2018-04-16 11:40:03

Thorware

It would be interesting to grant men some advantages. Men are protectors, so only men can wield weapons. They can move carts at full speed, females move them at a slower speed. Only males can move big rocks or construct walls. Things like that.

If you are killing all men that are not tireless carrot farmers, you are doing it wrong. The carrot patch is best suited for the women, because it keeps them near a constant food source when raising kids, plus shows the kids where basic food can always be found. It takes the independent focus of a male to pursue things like crafting tools or building infrastructure.

Last edited by Thorware (2018-04-16 11:41:11)

#8 2018-04-16 15:28:52

pein

sure,  as eve you dont need boys, until the carrot farm is made, boys dont have much use

but seems players cant calculate, if you still allow babies, it better to be boys, why?
cause they are fertile
enough to have 2 new females if they know what they are doing
and have generation gap, then the gear is used again, instead of your aunt is the same age as you
i was geared already with two items and almost could move when a granny stabbed me, thats nuts, stupid, i had a name, had a caring mother

i raised a kid, called me dad, he was shot by crazy lady at age 10 or so, pissed me off
then my sis killled the queen, deserved it
then a naked guy killed  my sis, i didnt do anything about it, didnt cared
then i shot the first persons to pick out the carrot left for seeds, one happened to be with the knife

one run my mother popped out and didnt even gave a single fck that im there, ive been raised but thats fcked up, if it wasnt for famine, i would of spent my life killing her
two girls, each one daughter, that makes the city run, you dont need 10 females of every age
people tend to stress more when having baby, carry home, they dont do much, they leave stuff behind, they are messed up
if you born a girl and a boy the population increases only slightly

i understand if im not wanted, then jus t tell me, not giving me stupid names or killed even if i prove my superiority
i usually explore and survive any famine, people are surprised i die at old age when ten others dont

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#9 2018-04-16 15:50:49

fragilityh14

i only sacrifice boys if it's a second baby and I don't have enough food, or if I get three in a row. Honestly the number that suicide  does balance it out.

The idea that males aren't useful is preposterous. For example, a male at peak health with a cart full of baskets and a backpack out rabbit hunting is ridiculous useful. They have the ability to travel reasonably far without problem and can bring back 16 rabbits.

People are always worried about soil depletion, in reality, a male with a cart can most likely find plenty of soil within a minute of camp, bring back five each time, then start bringing back worms. A male can go to the next savannah biome and bring back 16 carrot seeds once the closer ones are depleted. Having kids make these tasks way more difficult.

It's amazing people are struggling to figure this out, being as it's, you know, basically how society has always functioned.

Last edited by fragilityh14 (2018-04-16 15:51:10)

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#10 2018-04-16 15:59:31

Aname

The reason why 9/10 griefers i see are boys.

Eve Gluck! We are the great glucks and we will beat every other dynasty!

Best Gluck linage so far: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4082492

#11 2018-04-16 16:23:59

pein

fragilityh14 wrote:

biome and bring back 16 carrot seeds

12 you mean? yeah with backpack 16 max, but i dont risk coming with no food, also 5 soil? that cant be in backpack, cart holds 4 not 5

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#12 2018-04-16 16:31:01

Sakkiyn

pein wrote:
fragilityh14 wrote:

biome and bring back 16 carrot seeds

12 you mean? yeah with backpack 16 max, but i dont risk coming with no food, also 5 soil? that cant be in backpack, cart holds 4 not 5

a backpack can hold one soil unless it has been changed

#13 2018-04-16 16:45:55

Lavea

Thorware wrote:

It would be interesting to grant men some advantages. Men are protectors, so only men can wield weapons. They can move carts at full speed, females move them at a slower speed. Only males can move big rocks or construct walls. Things like that.

If you are killing all men that are not tireless carrot farmers, you are doing it wrong. The carrot patch is best suited for the women, because it keeps them near a constant food source when raising kids, plus shows the kids where basic food can always be found. It takes the independent focus of a male to pursue things like crafting tools or building infrastructure.

Nah that's boring. Just try to treat your own boys and girls with equal respect.

#14 2018-04-16 16:47:46

Bob the Blob

I only ever abandon boys if I cannot feed them.  To me boys are almost as valuable as girls because of the fact they can be more productive than females (if the player actually doesn't just mong about).

I used to have an open mind but my brain kept falling out.

#15 2018-04-16 19:13:42

fragilityh14

Yeah a cart with 4 baskets is 12 and a backpack is four. You could bring a pie, still 15.

Often I bring food somewhere and eat it before going back, or for example, leaving one carrot behind is not bad to get a carrot seed that will produce 7 carrots, and then it's there on the next expedition. By the time you've got somewhere you know the distance back and what is along the way, and an adult male can go quite a distance without eating.

But seriously, even so that's four soils or 15 of another item spaces as one rabbit carrot pie is plenty for the journey if you forage along the way. and if you have a rabbit carrot pie you could bring back 4 soil + 3 worms.

Also in a temporary food shortage often full berry bushes or cactus fruits are available just like 30 seconds away, and one person with a cart and backpack running back and forth can be survival.

Men should always be doing these tasks, as they don't get bogged down by children.

Though, I suppose motherhood is massively less of an encumbrance when you ignore babies if you are on a mission or kill boys.

Listen to your mom!

#16 2018-04-17 04:30:44

Verinon1

I always try to have an even number of males and females in my family. Of course, if my lineage is about to die out, we have to focus on new females surviving. I was born into a town once where they were killing all the males. At first it was kinda fun but before long, we had a population explosion and then a famine, so joke was on us I guess.

#17 2018-04-17 15:56:44

happynova

I just had a life where I was a male baby, and someone grabbed me and tried to abandon me in the swamp, only she didn't go out far enough, and I made it back.  Screw you, lady, I was going to live!  We had plenty of food, and my mother wanted me, or she wouldn't have fed me and set me by the fire.

I then ran the farm for 45 years, and saved two babies from dying by hand-feeding them carrots, including a girl whose mother was murdered, and who was badly needed after that, as our population was dwindling alarmingly.

Men are definitely not always burdens on OHOL society.

#18 2018-04-17 18:01:34

fragilityh14

I think i was born into that same place as a male like an hour ago, when someone said "we need to limit population"  to her i ran off and suicided because i had no desire to try to survive as a male in a malthusian society.

Listen to your mom!

#19 2018-04-17 19:03:02

Lily

I was just in a big town like that. One girl kept saying not to let any boys live, but my aunt saved me. Had a big farm and no one was composting so we had holes all over the place so I did that and was getting the farm back in order but then two crazy ladies started murdering everyone and even let their own children die.

#20 2018-04-18 12:08:50

Alleria

Men drool, women rule. Men's value is solely derived from how much they contribute (like real life). Given women are also able to contribute, women are inherently much more valuable than men, so why bother keeping men around? Yes, there are exceptions, but that doesn't prove jack. If you're male and don't kill yourself, then you're a problem. It's 2018.

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#21 2018-04-18 13:37:00

Joriom
Website

I love how Jason made this world a Femilist Haven.
IRL men are statistically bigger and stronger. Also their psychology seems to be wired differently - more agression and determination in contrast to females with more compasion and mercifulness.
While we would be able to simulate some of male physical traits to compensate for their 0 fertility - we will never be able to implement the psychological traits as in the end its the player behind the screen who brings that part. We might try to enforce some psychological traits based on sex with features designed for that but... its not only hard but also IMHO would violate Jasons idea of roles being born on their own depending on needs instead of "forced, made-up roles".

#22 2018-04-18 14:05:21

miskas

As about me I will never again breed males until they get some stats baff or been more capable than females in something. 
I am a male MGTOW by the way but in real life, males have important traits. In the game they are just as useful as a sterilized women.

Last edited by miskas (2018-04-18 14:05:39)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#23 2018-04-18 14:08:24

Baker

Kind of curious as to how many boys have been left to die in total.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#24 2018-04-18 14:16:35

Anshin

I think more importantly parenting happens to both women and men. Since the game has no genetics, mating, or pregnancy, it is reasonable for men to become fathers as well. Problem solved.

Board footer