One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-19 02:04:54

Morti

Graveyards

EZy5iJf.jpg
Please don't elarp being an asshole.
People put those graves there because they cared for someone.
There are countless flat rocks in the world, and lifetimes of space.
Let people have their memories.

#2 2020-03-19 03:13:03

Legs

Re: Graveyards

It's comforting to know that both irl and in-game some people understand: graveyards are a waste.

Loco Motion

#3 2020-03-19 04:12:56

Morti

Legs wrote:

It's comforting to know that both irl and in-game some people understand: graveyards are a waste.

It's a way to show respect for the ones you love.
You'll understand, in time.

#4 2020-03-19 04:28:58

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Graveyards are wasteful and stupid. Unless you're going to make SURE the body you're burying is an elder you're probably burying kids that died at the age of 4 because they're too stupid to eat.

Only elders deserve to be buried. If you can't even live to 55 you probably didn't do much for the town. Plus most graveyards never put headstones on the graves. That's LITERALLY just burning shovels because the graves decay in 1 hour.

It's okay to bury people who ask for it, or your mom or grandma. Anything beyond that is just silly. You're not honoring them, you don't know what they did or who they are.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#5 2020-03-19 05:17:36

Legs

People who really contribute run off at 59 to die naked and alone in the woods away from town so they don't make clutter.

From a practical perspective, burying someone is always wrong. It's always self serving for you or for them.

We all appreciate it when we're new but the time quickly comes to grow up and accept death.

Loco Motion

#6 2020-03-19 06:35:14

Vexenie

We should put gravestones on players who were great in their lifetime:

Killed a griefer? Gravestone. Saved your family? Gravestone. But made a motor pump well? Emm... kinda?

I enjoy the simpler things in life, but only if I'm calm.

#7 2020-03-19 06:45:18

1%Spacebar

IMO, graveyards are a novelty. Sure, a couple of graves here or there are cool. They've got a story behind them, they look nice, and it just makes the whole village feel more like a family.
But more than five or so and the waste of resources just kinda outweighs the sentiment, and sometimes your town will expand enough that the graveyard starts to get in the way and actively harm you.

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

Unless you're going to make SURE the body you're burying is an elder you're probably burying kids that died at the age of 4 because they're too stupid to eat.

Also, seeing the age of someone who died would be neat. Unless it's old bones, because their body's probably rotted beyond recognition. Although, you can still see their name, so..

oh boy *munch munch* these berry bushes *munch munch* are dying. i hope *munch munch* someone will water them

#8 2020-03-19 21:36:47

pein

grave pens pls

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#9 2020-03-20 16:27:17

Karrots

We need a way to burn graves we don't want. I hate the disgusting bony clutter.

#10 2020-03-20 17:11:10

Morti

Let's see what those gravestones were used for.

Rdwmcxj.png

sNjUG1m.png

WyF5tVd.png

DWy0KFe.png

c4E6jF6.png

s75itY1.png

QpR0fFh.png

W0xkl9V.png

XsqXfIO.png

Before this, I spent 16 hours making roads to connect your towns. I did not take from a smithy, a graveyard, or any, of the flat rocks, found near the towns and camps that cross that spanned the world. Hundreds of flat rocks, gathered, every life.

During it, I gathered thousands of flat rocks, to make the road that spanned two kilometers. Two thousand flat rocks, gathered over the course of 22 hours, living 20 lives. Not a single flat rock, taken from a grave, camp, smithy, prairie or town. You put them there to be used, I left them there for you to use them.

If you need 50 flat rocks, for some shitty, fucking, interior roads, SPEND JUST ONE, of your lives, doing what I do, and you will have them.

STOP STEALING FROM THE DEAD

Let people have their memories, of hard work, labor, and love, or you shall have none of them.

Does it piss you off when a person takes the flat rock from the smithy? Don't take from their graves, explain to them why it is important that those rocks remain there. Explain to them, why, these things are important to us. When it comes to honoring the dead, this is a very important aspect, of what it is that makes human beings, so successful in the long run. We retain our memories, in the works of the world, and we appreciate, when the world retains it's memory of us, in the simplest of forms. Just the chance, that we can return to the same place someday, and catch a glimpse, of a memory of ourselves; evidence, that our family cared for us, keeps us coming back, to care, for future families.

That you do not understand, and empathize with that, is why I must reiterate it, time, and time again, until you do.

The greatest monuments, of the human race, that have withstood time, and inspired, the architects of the past's future, were tributes to the dead, built, to stand the test of time. We can continue, to make great things, reminded, inspired, by the memory, of hard workers and great people. Legends deserve no less.
And you, deserve the chance, to be a legend.

--

In reality, I have stated, thousands of times, in planetarium shows, message boards, and comment sections, that there will come a day when nothing will be left of the Earth, as whole. This planet, will be aerosolized, throughout the galaxy. Not by the sun, directly, but by mankind and our machines. We will transform this planet, into trillions and trillions of spacecraft, and life forms, that will be dispersed, throughout the cosmos. Then, maybe in the end, long after that, everything will be brought back together, as life, finds the material balance, between gravity, density, and composition, that will allow it to sustain itself for as long as possible. But before then, we will utilize, everything we can, of this planet.

Many of the monuments of the past, are unlikely, to survive that transformation.

You could also imagine a future, where people have valued the past, too strongly, to the point where the whole Earth, covered, in memorials and preserves (the large parks and reservations, not the jam) will hinder that progress, as the past has hindered progress on large scale, technological monuments, such as Dams, like the ones in China. We could even stagnate, drastically, dangerously, to the point, that we don't manage the technological capability, to save life, the Earth, or the Sun, and the Sun dies and takes out the Earth and all life with it. But that future is a little too bleak, and, very unrealistic. Given the time scale and the growth of our capability, we are more likely to eat the Sun, than for the Sun to eat us.

Which reminds me of cremation; I am against cremation, for, biological reasons. I think the material we are composed of, is far more valuable to the world, intact. It is a disservice to the biological world, to deny it this chemical energy, but more importantly, the chemical diversity, stored in various molecules. I don't think that aspect of life is well understood enough, that it can be conveyed on our scale; culturally. But, given enough time, enough, education, that value of the diversity; of the way order arises from the chaos of it all, will become fairly common knowledge. Not the details of it, just that it exists, and that it is valuable, to biology. Chemical and biological evolution, feed off each other and grow together. Cremating bodies, breaks that material down into far less, unique, molecules. But, that said, maybe it should be an option, in game, as in life. I don't know... right now most towns struggle with fuel for fires, as is. I don't see wood funeral pyres or gas powered crematoriums, working their way into the game anytime soon, but who knows?

--

Please have respect for the dead, since the players, were only just playing within the last week, so, they are likely to be the same people, tomorrow, and the next week, and, if you're not too much of a fucking asshole, the week after that. It's clear the corpses have always been a challenge, for planning. We've always put them on the outskirts, so that they could grow outward, but we have never, ever, had so much of a problem that graves were the worst contender for the life of the city.

It's dumb enough we can't reproduce outside of the radius of a well... complain more about that, but leave my mother's graves where I put them. Sure, everyone has their own reasons for marking graves, but if I did it, it's because something about that person, and me, and that moment, made me care enough to preserve that memory, for both of us. I know it inspires others, to see such a thing; to care and to work, harder. Question is, why don't you, understand that?

Think about that, and stop wasting your life on a shitty little project you're not going to finish.

And stop multistaking the ends of the roads, you dumbass. No one wants to juggle those things and no one cares where you wanted that road to go, but you. Spend your time gathering flat rocks and not wasting branches on stakes. How have you not learned that yet? You got some kind of mental problem? You want to compete with me over these flat rocks, let's go, get your horse. Let's go. I'll show you how to make a fucking road.

9C4lRnN.png

Keep your eye out for tiny biomes that are just out of sight of any zoom mods, so your horse is there when you get back 10 minutes later.

Sorry for getting mad at you.

#11 2020-03-21 02:02:48

Saolin

The problem with graveyards is that they're actually a negative in general.  They use up valuable resources for something nobody really takes the time to look at, and i assume are usually built by one person gathering every pile of bones they see without any particular emotional significance.

I'm really flattered when someone tells me they'll take the time to bury me properly... but i'll steal a gravestone or two if i need them to make yum foods, lol.  Not for some pointless road to nowhere though.

#12 2020-03-21 02:07:19

Legs

I think the issue here is that our friend Mortimer lacks a healthy respect for death.

There is no legend, no legacy, no memory. An hour after you die nobody will ever remember your life. It all rapidly fades into obscurity. Impermanence is a pillar of existence.

You do what you do with full knowledge that it matters today. And that it won't matter tomorrow. That's life son.

Loco Motion

#13 2020-03-21 04:09:31

Gogo
Banned

I think good solution is to make separate, small graveyard only for marked graves, further than basic one. Remember Zucc and Punkytown, I made temples there. In Punkytown's temple (the one with 6-7 bells tongue) someone build a shrine in the corner and put a paper on grave with 'I build this shrine for you mom' or sth. Second grave was mine, I was a mom to 3-4 kids, I had them outside of town, but I returned. When I was older there was a race-war and I was trying to defend son or sth, I was killed but he promised to avenge or bury me. Then I spotted he made me a grave and putted paper for me there. smile Third grave was made by me, my mom had me on a road, she was nice and gave me her clothes, but I returned cloth to her, cause I was going to Punkytown anyways. Minute later I had info that my mom died! I turned back and investigated where she lies, it seems skeeters got her and she was trying to return to the road. sad xD I took back her bones to town and buried her in my temple's graveyard, I even tell via radio that such and such person was good mom (maybe this player spawned in game again). xD

My point is - this kind of shrine/graveyard is super cute and it probably won't be affected by thieves. First grave should be an honour to Eve.

Last edited by Gogo (2020-03-21 09:27:40)

#14 2020-03-21 08:33:06

Amon

Oof. It's not that hard to find flat rocks. Even in the rift when all resources were highly limited. We were able to quickly organize roads to connect my Villa in the far west to the town in the far east with the airport in between somewhat north.

And there were still so many flat rocks left to be used.

Guys, stop pretending that flat rocks are rare to get in an infinite world. They're not.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#15 2020-03-21 11:29:50

Morti

Gogo wrote:

I think good solution is to make separate, small graveyard only for marked graves, further than basic one. Remember Zucc and Punkytown, I made temples there. In Punkytown's temple (the one with 6-7 bells tongue) someone build a shrine in the corner and put a paper on grave with 'I build this shrine for you mom' or sth. Second grave was mine, I was a mom to 3-4 kids, I had them outside of town, but I returned. When I was older there were a race-war and I was trying to defend son or sth, I was killed but he promised to avenge or bury me, don't remember correctly. Then I spotted he made me a grave and putted writing there. smile Third grave was made by me, my mom had me on a road, she was nice and gave me her clothes, but I returned cloth to her, cause I was going to Punkytown anyways. Minute later I had info that my mom died! I turned back and investigated where she lies, it seems skeeters got her and she was trying to return to the road. sad xD I took back her bones to town and buried her in my temple's graveyard, I even tell via radio that such and such person was good mom (maybe this player spawned in game again). xD

My point is that this kind of shrine - graveyard is super cute and it probably won't be affected by thieves. First grave should be an honour to Eve.

There certainly is a balance to find. But the graveyard for the masses can also be the place where the marked stones remain, in my opinion, as the graveyard keeper for many lives over the years, especially back when it was mandatory, or the town suffered greatly, for real lack of space. What was bad back then, and still occasionally is a problem, is when the town becomes surrounded, and nearly encased, in corpses, because most people who do take the time to move the bodies, tend to push them to the outskirts, until they became a circular perimeter, around the town, and moving them, was a deterrent, to expansion.

I figured out the best placement for the graveyards, starting in a corner, roughly 30 meters from the center of town, and letting that corner work it's way out in two of the cardinal directions, while also leaving paths, through the graveyard, for gatherers of natural resources, to be given a clear path, to pass through.

There is, of course, a utility, to honoring the ones we love, the ones who have shown the greatest service to our communities and the ones who have made great contributions, to the world in general. Even Einstein knew of the tourism, that would have been generated, merely by the existence of his grave, but, as a man of many nations, chose not to let his remains be kept intact in one, opting for cremation.

One of my favorite shrines, or, monuments, on Earth can be found here, in Saigon, aka Ho Chi Minh, in Southern Vietnam

4J1LevF.jpg

When you zoom in to the city, the golf course and the airport stick out from above, from the west tip of the airport, there is a road that travels southeast, to a clearly different looking area near the Sai Gon River (Sông Sài Gòn in Vietnamese) known as Da Kao.

QqmXuLG.jpg

Zoom in where that road goes along that suburb, and you will spot a few things: a little round about, and this green area a few blocks southeast of it.

eqqM026.jpg

Now zoom in to that green area.

SK8vRG9.jpg

Here, I would say, drop the little yellow guy down for street view, but for some reason, I can't do it here, in Google Earth, so, I take you to the same place in Google Maps.

mibICGX.png

Here, you see the names Đài tưởng niệm Bồ tát Thích Quảng Đức and Thích Quảng Đức Monument.
So, what is Thích Quảng Đức?

1mm6DXM.png

or, who, was Thích Quảng Đức?

I'll leave it to you, to learn of who he was.

kHBpfuI.jpg

And why this shrine, this monument, this, memorial, is so important to people.

QkzgVnK.jpg

Why, it is, so beautiful.

--

That was only one such monument on Earth, one memorial, to recognize a person, who devoted their life, to the world they knew, and to the world others would know, after they were gone.

You can zoom in, all over the Earth, and find stories like this. About people who devoted themselves, to their families, to their businesses, to their crafts and to things greater, than themselves. Their are tombstones to farmers and fathers, in ghost towns, of the Southwest, of the United States of America

kKZMZkA.jpg

Cemeteries, you can visit, and libraries you can go to afterwards, to learn more about the people, who's graves you've seen.

8kqJZyr.jpg

You can find records of most, if not all, of these people, online, as data that was previously published in newspapers and microfiche, are being converted to files, stored in databases around the globe.

We are no longer forgotten. None of us, will truly be forgotten. Not by the records kept outside of minds, long, since gone. This information, is valuable to people, perhaps, invaluable, when it comes to understanding who we are, what we can be and where, we are going. As surely as there is only one past, there is only one future. Knowledge makes that future clearer to us, as the present is tugged at a steady pace, by the unfolding of the physics, of this universe. Every one of us, is subject to it. Every example, a lesson.

Let us not forget those lessons, most valuable, to the most ideal state, of the future, we imagine, lays beyond what is left, of the fog.

#16 2020-03-21 18:28:48

pein

I remember when the flat rocks were a decoration mostly, you needed like 2 (people were too slow to use more than 2 smithing, now 4-5 is minimum I think)

I used them to form a road across deserts to prevent snake bites
I had a topic about it how pit pens, stone roads, even arrows made of milkweed seed are better than high tech items cause they are cheap and fast.

I think it was cute when jason made the fast roads, interesting to run along them and certainly felt that was a good joke on my flat rock roads, making my meme a feature.
Also fucking annoying that people make them everywhere cause they don't have zoom, and taking smithy stones.

First of all, we would need no conflict over it, and kinda nerfed it when the usability went up but the spawn rate didn't increase. roads are important and the work gets heavy when constructing long roads, the collecting game is quite bad, we could use a similar tech like iron has to collect fla rocks or craft it somehow.

We could have anvils for smithing.

Graveyards are still mainly cosmetic, so I don't understand why would they need resources, especially now that they are removable, it's no way to fix them for good.
So I think that graves could be one extra step to make: use a chisel on a flat rock to cut a gravestone, it could be taken off but it could never be used for anything else than a gravestone.  Also, it could be like 8 per flat rock or unlimited like fences, since it's just cosmetics. Or it could be crosses made out of branches (that's a bit too cattholic I guess) .
Best would be cremation. It's annoying to have 90% of the city as a graveyard, and only some people enjoy that.  A tiny little crematorium would be nice with small slots for each bone.

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#17 2020-03-21 20:30:53

antking:]#

I guess you can call them GRAVE ROBBERS

But really I think that the problem with graves is that they are so convenient! Like all you need to do is grab at a grave and bam flat stone! No need to travel and get flat stones... That's probably what most people see just a collection of flat stones no memory nothing, Having writing of a grave makes it harder for those people to steal flat stones and attach meaning to graves, so those are less likely to be stolen.

Now what I think we need  is sort of an "Upgrade" grave, to make it harder for raiders to loot graves....

First idea:
using Stone Blocks instead of flat stones, because stone blocks are used for a lot less then flat stones
(But the things that it is used for are more important)

Second idea:
Rose graves- have a rose bush (any color) grow on graves
They would have to be removed how the way rosebushes are removed
& for people who like to name graves they can trim the Rose bush so that the name is visible and the roses grow around it

Third idea:
Statue graves- Put a full dug big rock on a grave and you Chisel it into, a statue, which could take any form, and if you dig up the gave statue you can only put it on other graves
Statues would be determined by what letter stock you use

Last edited by antking:]# (2020-03-21 21:00:47)

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#18 2020-03-21 20:59:43

pein

one thing that would work:

build a graveyard area, it would need a certain size at least, I think 4x4 would be best since that's the size of sprite overlay.
It would require resources to make,  first mark the 4x4 around with a combination of items like stakes and rope (could be just squares), walk to other side and put the stakes down and validate with a mallet. then you could choose the option of the graveyard. Some minimal resources would be fine, like clay and branches maybe. It would leave a border around it. graves could be moved inside it so they couldn't be used to grief but couldn't be disassembled as of now. I heard that letters got buffed a bit but still not free, so removing a marked grave feels a bit bad.

When I look at a massive graveyard where it's a big block of graves, I only see items that block movement and take away precious workspace. It really should be further from the centre of towns. Nobody deserves to be buried in the centre of the city and block others for centuries.

So yeah, I totally understand if people remove graveyards, most of the people who are buried aren't really important, if you work hard you don't care if you are buried or not, if you beg 20 minutes of your life to be buried just so you can annoy babies with it next time you get back, then I'm sorry for you.

might not be too realistic but it would make sense to limit graves to be placed further from the centre of the city (well?) for at least 30 tiles and be able to move them outside over time. Hard to think of a way in a multiplayer game who can have decisions about city planning, most cities are ruined by idiots who place everything to the wrong place not caring about others. best example is berry bushes, so hard and wasteful to remove them. The other is graves, I saw towns inside fence box and more than half of it was a graveyard, while not having a decent sheep pen. Soe people even brought back the bones to place them inside the usable territory.

#19 2024-02-02 09:10:36

Huey wood
Website

I have a same feeling. In the Torch Town, I made a cemetery for my friend, she was also a hero of our family. Someone wanted to rebuilt the dead town and stole all the gravestones for a pointless road.

The onemap recorded their behavior:
https://onemap.wondible.com/#x=-575023& … 1706682000
Click the "animated" in left bottom and then click the play button. You can see what they did.

At the end, someone found that and saved some graves. Many people came back to here for their memories. I can't imagine how they feel grieved when they see that.

Board footer