One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-22 06:45:31

Jayed

Game Review & Change Request/Suggestion

Preface:

Before I begin, allow me to say I'm still a very new player. I've only been playing for about five days. But because the Coronavirus has ruined many of my plans for my vacation in Thailand, I've spent most of my wakeful hours playing this game nonstop. So despite being new, I already have a firm grasp of almost all the game's mechanics and crafting progression. So with that said I want to first give an honest and constructive review of this game in it's current state. So that I can first build context for why I am about to suggest the additions/changes I am.

I understand that you are the sole developer of the official title Jason, and as such I've given careful consideration to how you could effectively address multiple issues with one fell swoop, in addition to making this game far more inviting to new players (thus potentially renewed interest/sales to help fund further development).

First Impression:

I discovered One Hour One Life through the YouTuber, Twisted. I wasn't a subscriber of his, but I believe I was advertised the game due to being a fan of RTS, resource mangements, & sandbox games. I had heard of/seen videso about One Hour One Life years ago, but never bothered because, to be frank, the graphics disgusted me, (The irony is I spent half a decade building mega-structures in Minecraft.)

At any rate, after watching several of Twisted's videos I decided to give the game a go, to see if I'd actually enjoy it, and I have to say I absolutely love the concept! The MS Paint graphics be damned Jason, the experience your game provides is enthralling and the social/player driven events keeps each playthrough feeling unique, lending to my ability to play 6 full lives in one night and have to force myself to close my laptop before pulling an all night binge.

Okay let's be honest, I binge played my first two days to the extent that I logged nearly 30 hours in two days..

My Experience: (Yes it's a lot, but it is to provide context for the Suggestion/request, jump to "my conclusion:" for TL:DR)

Glowing about how much I enjoy this game aside, looking back at my first few hours in the game I have to say.. it wasn't exactly fun. Why? Well for starters, the tutorial isn't exactly helpful..

Why do I say this? Because unlike traditional sandbox games, where you'd spawn into a new world, building from scratch, in this game, you can spawn into a town that's already pushing end game technologies. Which was my first experience. Sure I knew how to sharpen a stone, craft a hatchet, and even start a fire. But all those milestones were not only achieved, but long surpassed by my village when I first spawned in. So what did I do my first life? I walked around aimlessly trying to make heads or tails of what everyone was doing and how to play the game.

After my first life, All I had learned how to do was kill sheep. Which is apparently a HUGE NO NO. To be clear, this is not exactly obvious to new players. I can get 50 sheep on Minecraft in my first 10 minutes of playing. But in One Hour One Life my attempt to help my town by being a butcher got me cursed by no less than half my village and was then chased out of town. Obviously, I had no idea how big of a deal being cursed was, instead I was just annoyed that my village went mob psycho on me. But hey, it was an entertaining way to start my journey in OHOL!

Things got ugly my second life however, when I re-spawned in the same village. Now I'm sitting in the village, listening to half the village label me a troll, demanding the remaining villagers curse me. So I decide, 'you know what. If they want a witch hunt, I'll give them a hunt!" So I made it my goal to start hiding things around the map. I got caught pretty quickly, and this time the mob murdered me with a bow. Which was fair enough, as I decided I was going to intentionally be an evil character so I wasn't actually upset with the outcome.

What did upset me however, was my third life. I spawn in a different village, and it's at this point I learn that not only is this game's player base virtually non-existent, but that when someone curses you it marks you so they know who you are. Obviously, I don't know this, and didn't learn this is how people figured out I was the sheep slayer until my second or third day of playing. Now to be honest, I had no intention of being a griefer in this game when I first started. But after not even being given a chance to try and play on my third life, i said fuck it "fuck it, if they want a griefer. I'll give them one."

So I spent my 4th through 8th lives doing everything I could come up with to make other players lives as miserable as they had made my first 3. After which I got bored of not being able to actually play the game and decided to play on an empty server. Where I actually learned how to play. After about 4 or 5 Eve playthroughs, I felt a bit more competent and decided to try playing the game on the normal server again. Thankfully with my expanded understanding and most/all of the crybabies who had cursed me being offline, I was actually able to enjoy the game, as it's intended to be played.

So all's good and well right? I had become a reformed player because of the curse system. WRONG! I became a reformed player because I wanted to actually experience the game. The curse system actually pigeon holed me into being a griefer and adopting a play style/role I would have other wise not embraced. And in fact, the only reason I was able to reform my play style, was because I played after the people who had cursed me and were instantly targeting me on my new playthroughs had logged out for the night.

Now in the time between the people I had originally played with logging out, I actually became an EXTREMELY productive player. I've always been a min/max gamer in everything I do, so I made it a point to figure out the optimal ways to perform every job/task a player can. Such that on day two, I farmed over 300 rabbits, crafted approximately 60 bags, gathered well over 100 adobe, and at least twice as much clay, stockpiled dozens if not tens of dozens of each seed and after all that still managed to find time to learn how to do cooking. Granted that was spread across all villages I spawned into, but most was done in the same three villages.

So obviously, after putting in so much work, I felt entitled to make a more impactful mark on the towns I was playing in. How did I choose to do this? By building what I intended to be a resource storage hut. Because across all the towns, no one had built a resource storage unit, where items could be stored neatly, and I was tired of towns more or less looking like garbage dumps with items littering every tile. What a great idea right? Build a nice structure to grow the town, with the intent that it'll help make it more aesthetically appealing and productive, since people would have been able to easily find the items they want.

Yeah, if only that's how my fellow players had seen it. Instead one of the paper dolls who had cursed me the night before, just so happened to log in and spawn in the Xena village I had spent all day farming resources for and building up. He begins exclaiming to everyone that I'm a greifer, because of what I had done the day before, and demanding everyone curse me and calling me every derogatory name he could muster. But instead of engaging with him, I just dismissed him and continued on building my structure.

And honestly, if he was only flaming me for my choice in how to spend my time playing this game, I wouldn't have even been upset. But no. He started screwing with my build, taking resources from me, running my cart away from me, ultimately griefing me. All the while he's calling me a griefer, the irony was painful. And ultimately my character died of old age with my building only being half completed. This was the point I took to discord and started criticizing the player base for their virtue signaling and hypocritical behavior.

My Conclusion:

Because the curse system visibly tags a player through multiple playthroughs, it both breaks immersion and encourages toxic behavior, both from the curser and the cursie. I've learned that this toxic behavior is so prolific and that people curse each other over such petty things that it has effectively turned the game from a 'family lineage' game into a ironic blend of virtue signaling, overt to blatant racism/sexism & covert griefing. In short, I love the essence of this game, but feel the curse system doesn't in fact protect from griefing, but is actually the key promoter of griefing.

While I understand why the curse system was implemented, it was actually the wrong approach to take to handling griefing. Ultimately what you have done Jason, is instead of blaming your poor foresight into how players would abuse your game world, and adding bumper rails to protect against such, you instead have implemented a system where you blame a considerable portion of your player base.

My Suggestions/Requests:

REMOVE UNIQUE IDENTIFIER FORM CURSED PLAYERS

If someone knows the character they are engaging with is someone they've cursed, they IMMEDIATELY become toxic to that person. I've not only been on the receiving end of such, but watched it happen half a dozen times now to other players. The tag system needs to be done away with completely as it promotes toxic behavior on both sides.

SEND DONKEYS TO A SEPARATE SERVER

As a clincal psychologist, I have an absolute laundry list of issues with the existence of the curse system. But with that said, I think DT is actually a brilliant idea. But I think you need to take it a step further and force Donkeys onto one of the other official servers. If players are cursed by too many different players across too many different play throughs, stick them on a cursed server, where they play with other cursed players for 30 days. Then your player base is separated entirely. And you don't have to deal with DT players finding clever ways to continue griefing normal players.

ENABLE EVE SPAWN AS AN OPTION

Outside of the curse system, this suggestion is actually to help reduce future new players from having experiences similar to my first life which results in them being labeled as a griefer and thus having their first few hours in the game ruined by the veteran player base who is painfully quick to label people as griefers/trolls. In fact, I think the game should be set default to have players spawn as Eve, and have the players uncheck a box to have the option of spawning into an already existing family.

This suggestion shouldn't just be extremely easy to implement into the game, but would provide a massive quality of life improvement for both beginner players and veterans alike. Veterans no longer have to deal with new players screwing up late game builds/progress (because they don't know the first thing about the tech tree) but new players are also going to get to experience the game, from it's effective starting point.

Before I went on the empty server, I spammed /die as many times as I could to try and spawn as Eve, because I just wanted to experience the game from it's start so I could learn the tech tree by playing through the game. But alas, apparently you can only spawn as an Eve on an empty server, or if you get cursed enough to be banished to DT. Incidentally, this was also an incentive to me to grief until I learned Donkey eve's don't get to have children, so there's next to zero chance of them ever revisiting their town on another life.

ENABLE FAMILY LOCKING

My final suggestion is to give players the option to be reborn into the family they previously played (assuming a female is of age). This will do so much good, both for how players experience the game, as well as how players interact with their families. In the game's current state there is zero sense of family loyalty because, well, you're almost always born into a different family from your previous life. This leads to people spamming /die until they spawn in the town the want, or worse, trolling the town they spawn in, because they hate the location/race.

From a more long-term perspective, this feature would also allow you to get really creative with the races and how they interact with one another. Sure trade is fun, but why have war swords if your family has no incentive to wage war. After all, waging war against another family in the game's current state just means you're likely screwing yourself over on your next life.

Final Thoughts:

I really do enjoy this game and despite a few complaints with how overly complicated the crafting system is, with no in-game resources (aside from other players, who, speak, like, this, with, five, sec, ond, delay, betw, een, every, few, let, ters) I feel the curse system and standard spawn into existing family systems are the greatest detractors to both new and old players.

After having joined the discord I get the real sense that most griefers are actually griefers because in the game's current state, griefing is the only way for them to experience the game in the way the want to. Ie, a fresh start. I'm actually certain it's not about those players wanting to play alone, but rather them wanting to have more action/combat in addition to being given the ability to start a civilization from scratch.

With all my praise of how much I actually enjoy the game, being a community driven game, unless at least the last three suggestions are intended to be added to the game in the near future; I'm contemplating requesting a refund for this game... though still keeping it on my radar in case you decide to add the above in a later update. I genuinely do enjoy the concept of this game. But as it stands, I just can't make heads or tails of why you decided to go the route you did with handling 'griefing' which is really just paying customers choosing to engage with the game's mechanics/systems in a way you, as the game's creator, enabled them to do. As someone who's played online RPGs for just about two decades, this is the first time I've ever witnessed such an absolutely toxic and broken system.

I used to think League of Legend's player tribunal was bad, but I can at least give them credit for having moderators review the tickets player's deem punishment worthy.. you don't even take that safe guard here (obviously because you don't have the time/man power to review such, but that's still no excuse for handing absolute authority of punishment over to the community at large).

As it stands, the last three options/changes I'm asking for would require very little effort to implement and the quality of life/community boon such simple additions would make might actually draw both old and new players back into the game. New players because it will be more inviting/easy to pick up, and old players to find out how the changes have shifted the game's meta. Hope this review/suggestion is helpful. I'd love to see this game see an increase in new players so you can afford the time to commit to much more grandiose updates to the game in the future..

Best Regards
~Jayed

Last edited by Jayed (2020-02-22 06:49:18)

#2 2020-02-22 07:15:09

Legs

Re: Game Review & Change Request/Suggestion

The current curse system is completely broken. It mostly benefits lowkey griefers and ignorant townies cursing for no reason. Actual griefers are sneaky enough to be overlooked. Good luck finding any support though, most of the community is dumb enough to believe in mob rule. Including jason.

Loco Motion

#3 2020-02-22 08:24:36

fug

Oh hey, it's that troll that was reeing in discord.

Now it's reeing in the forums instead neat.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#4 2020-02-22 08:25:33

testo

The thing is, there is a big portion of the playerbase that had to deal with people "choosing to be an evil character" for long enough. For me, the current curse system is a blessing and I hope it stays like it is. For the first time in ohol history griefers don´t have 100% anonymity on their side and I love it.

Your first suggestion makes some sense from a person that has zero knowledge of how the game has developed for months. Maybe if you took a few weeks to read back these same forums you would understand how griefers had plagued this game. You could also understand how helpless the more pacific players have felt and how that has pushed many people away. Just to give you an idea, a few weeks before the new curse system I was playing as a mother trying to keep her family alive, being last fertile female. I had three girls and then twin males. The twins were griefers trying to exterminate my family, they killed two of my girls, I managed to dispatch both of them. In his last words, the second twin literally told eveyone how much fun this was for him and that he was coming back in five minutes to clean the rest after I was dead (My girl and her children were newish players). So yeah, toxicity goes where it is due most of the times.

Your second idea I approve completely. Make a separate space for Donkeys ideally with NO IRON. That way they don´t get a free paradise to play.

Your third idea is almost universally bad, making new players Eve is recipe for disaster. If you want to play the early game from scratch the low population servers are more than you need, just go into settings and choose one from here http://onehouronelife.com/reflector/ser … ion=report, if you die of old age you even get to respawn in the same place.

Family locking is also a bad idea unless you want to make permanent teams. Several times I´ve run into idiots telling me "this is my town, I was Eve..." or "Hey I build this farm two generations ago don´t do this so or so..." I get it, people like to feel attachment to where they play, but the idea of the game is exactly the opposite.

I hope you understand your suggestions make a lot of sense to you as a new player, but not to everyone in these forums.

And yeah Legs is a known griefer so it makes sense he/she doesn´t like the new system.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#5 2020-02-22 08:40:30

Legs

"""Known griefer""" lmfao goes to show how braindead this community is.

Remember this new player, the good guy always get labeled a griefer by the bad guy in the end.

Loco Motion

#6 2020-02-22 09:40:44

Twisted

Jayed wrote:

After my first life, All I had learned how to do was kill sheep. Which is apparently a HUGE NO NO. To be clear, this is not exactly obvious to new players. I can get 50 sheep on Minecraft in my first 10 minutes of playing. But in One Hour One Life my attempt to help my town by being a butcher got me cursed by no less than half my village and was then chased out of town. Obviously, I had no idea how big of a deal being cursed was, instead I was just annoyed that my village went mob psycho on me. But hey, it was an entertaining way to start my journey in OHOL!

I dunno, maybe it's the difference between the playerbase who plays during Thailand-friendly hours and EU-friendly hours, but I don't think I've ever seen a person be cursed by half a village unless they were extremely toxic. You did mention in Discord that you enjoy trolling and griefing, so it feels like you're not telling the whole story here.

Jayed wrote:

Things got ugly my second life however, when I re-spawned in the same village. Now I'm sitting in the village, listening to half the village label me a troll, demanding the remaining villagers curse me. So I decide, 'you know what. If they want a witch hunt, I'll give them a hunt!" So I made it my goal to start hiding things around the map. I got caught pretty quickly, and this time the mob murdered me with a bow. Which was fair enough, as I decided I was going to intentionally be an evil character so I wasn't actually upset with the outcome.

So let me get this straight, instead of apologizing and trying to smooth things out you decide to go steal and hide stuff? It sounds like you got what you were asking for by getting sent to DT.

Also, you're again not telling us the whole story - you couldn't have been born into the same village as people in there cursed you, which prevents you from spawning near them. As there are currently no big road systems connecting multiple villages, I don't think that you were born into a nearby village and then just followed the road to the original village. This feels like a made up part that's just here to justify your griefing.

The curse system is in an extremely good place right now, and it took a lot of tweaking to get it just right.

#7 2020-02-22 09:46:25

Dodge

Yeah i agree cursing system is in a good place right now no need to change it, only issue is the D town problem that needs to get fixed one way or another.

Spawning more Eves or choosing to be Eve is a bad idea, if everyone is Eve then who continues the lineage? Also each Eve spawn increases distance between potential villages so you end up with villages 5k appart like before the Eve spawning fix.

#8 2020-02-22 10:48:04

fug

Twisted wrote:

So let me get this straight, instead of apologizing and trying to smooth things out you decide to go steal and hide stuff? It sounds like you got what you were asking for by getting sent to DT.

Also, you're again not telling us the whole story - you couldn't have been born into the same village as people in there cursed you, which prevents you from spawning near them. As there are currently no big road systems connecting multiple villages, I don't think that you were born into a nearby village and then just followed the road to the original village. This feels like a made up part that's just here to justify your griefing.

The curse system is in an extremely good place right now, and it took a lot of tweaking to get it just right.

Would you like to know the other side of the story because funny enough I'm the guy he's talking about.

Get born to a village where I catch OP hiding pies and items behind trees. Him being the older player at the time I just curse him and warn other players about what the dude is doing, fast forward I'm born in the same town as him next life because he died sooner than me. Instantly OP is grabbing a basket full of pies saying he wants to "explore" (dude has a bp which is clearly fishy.) Again, as I get older and warn my mother/aunt I find more hidden pies + tool heads hidden around the town just like the last life. OP once again gets more curses for back to back life griefing and we don't meet until the next day.

Day passes, we meet up again in some random village and I proceed to warn everyone that OP is known for stealing stuff so people be mindful. "REE YOU DONT TELL ME HOW TO PLAAAAAY." "YOU DONT DICTATE HOW I PLAY REEEEE." OP is screeching when I have a good laugh about him being the same troll from the other day and how once again he is now on the bad side of the town for being an overall rude dude. If you've ever seen this guy in the discord you'd know how much of a temper he has rofl, I guess some people just get upset when they're caught with their pants down.

The curse changes were great as everyone else has said. I knew exactly who was hiding stuff the second life and OP was too goofy not to curse me at any point to essentially block me from spawning around them to catch them griefing. Silly silly silly.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#9 2020-02-22 11:26:02

Jayed

testo wrote:

The thing is, there is a big portion of the playerbase that had to deal with people "choosing to be an evil character" for long enough. For me, the current curse system is a blessing and I hope it stays like it is. For the first time in ohol history griefers don´t have 100% anonymity on their side and I love it.

Griefers didn't 'get away with things' because of anonymity. They got away with things because the game's mechanics are unapologetically grief prone. I played the game seriously, attempting to help my families for the last 2 days (despite being called a griefer continually by certain clowns in this community). If a mechanic is causing the game to be unplayable, it's not the players fault, it's the game mechanic. Punishing PAYING CUSTOMERS for using an in game mechanic AS THE GAME HAS IT ENABLED TO BE USED FOR is not griefing. It's playing a game. It's almost as if you've never played a PvP game in your life. "OMG THIS GUY TOOK ME TO WILDERNESS AND KILLED ME! GRIEFER!" No... that's not Griefing. That's being smart.

testo wrote:

Your first suggestion makes some sense from a person that has zero knowledge of how the game has developed for months. Maybe if you took a few weeks to read back these same forums you would understand how griefers had plagued this game. You could also understand how helpless the more pacific players have felt and how that has pushed many people away. Just to give you an idea, a few weeks before the new curse system I was playing as a mother trying to keep her family alive, being last fertile female. I had three girls and then twin males. The twins were griefers trying to exterminate my family, they killed two of my girls, I managed to dispatch both of them. In his last words, the second twin literally told eveyone how much fun this was for him and that he was coming back in five minutes to clean the rest after I was dead (My girl and her children were newish players). So yeah, toxicity goes where it is due most of the times.

Again, 'griefers' didn't plague the game. Gamers plagued the game. Gamers playing the game with in game mechanics that Jason failed to realize he had designed to be too 'realistic' to actually properly function within an online video game. The game has less than 100 people playing during it's peak hours now and i still see someone curse someone else almost every single life because they're 'griefing.' When in reality it's someone just being super petty.

testo wrote:

Your second idea I approve completely. Make a separate space for Donkeys ideally with NO IRON. That way they don´t get a free paradise to play.

Glad you like it, but want to throat punch you that you think that you're entitled to enjoy playing the game the way you want to, but pvp players aren't. Even though you approve of my idea, you're opinion perfectly embodies everything that's wrong with this community and the way Jason is taking it.

testo wrote:

Your third idea is almost universally bad, making new players Eve is recipe for disaster. If you want to play the early game from scratch the low population servers are more than you need, just go into settings and choose one from here http://onehouronelife.com/reflector/ser … ion=report, if you die of old age you even get to respawn in the same place.

This is actually why I'm replying to you, because you're 100% wrong here. If you read 'My Experience' You'd know I actually played on the private servers for several lives. And no, it's not universally bad. It teaches you how to play the damn game and with the basics given to you during the tutorial of the game, any new player should be sufficiently able to at least feed themselves and begin experimenting with crafting and learning the tech tier.

My friend who I also bought the game for didn't want to play after his second life because he said he had no idea where to even begin, because spawning into a town already under way leaves you swimming with no clue what to do. In fact if you look at how new players comment about the game in discord you'll hear my words reverberated by them.

Playing multiple lives as an Eve is how I learned to play, and I died of old age on each. ALSO! YOU DO NOT RESPAWN IN THE SAME PLACE! If I had, I wouldn't have ever even came back to the multiplayer server. I would have just built myself a giant town, took screen shots, and said duces. I literally only went back to main servers because I couldn't progress beyond what I could push out in a single 60 minute experience.

testo wrote:

Family locking is also a bad idea unless you want to make permanent teams. Several times I´ve run into idiots telling me "this is my town, I was Eve..." or "Hey I build this farm two generations ago don´t do this so or so..." I get it, people like to feel attachment to where they play, but the idea of the game is exactly the opposite.

The game is exactly the opposite for who? You? Because the way it plays, I am forced to bounce between 4 towns, all the same towns, just seperated by an hour, or a series of /die to get myself back to the town I want to play in. Incidentally, this is something several players do, as is obvious from those who insta die when they spawn. So no, neither is the game designed to be the exact opposite, but many players 'idiots' as you refer to them, actually enjoy the idea of watching a single town evolve throughout the generations.

testo wrote:

I hope you understand your suggestions make a lot of sense to you as a new player, but not to everyone in these forums.

My suggestions make a lot of sense to me, as someone who understands the entirety of this game having already played it for 60+ hours, exhausted every corner of it's Wikipedia and done everything in game but cause the apocolypse with the blood stone. Hell I even built Oddity for lulz since I could actually achieve that solo.

#10 2020-02-22 11:29:04

Jayed

fug wrote:
Twisted wrote:

Would you like to know the other side of the story because funny enough I'm the guy he's talking about.

Get born to a village where I catch OP hiding pies and items behind trees. Him being the older player at the time I just curse him and warn other players about what the dude is doing, fast forward I'm born in the same town as him next life because he died sooner than me. Instantly OP is grabbing a basket full of pies saying he wants to "explore" (dude has a bp which is clearly fishy.) Again, as I get older and warn my mother/aunt I find more hidden pies + tool heads hidden around the town just like the last life. OP once again gets more curses for back to back life griefing and we don't meet until the next day.

Day passes, we meet up again in some random village and I proceed to warn everyone that OP is known for stealing stuff so people be mindful. "REE YOU DONT TELL ME HOW TO PLAAAAAY." "YOU DONT DICTATE HOW I PLAY REEEEE." OP is screeching when I have a good laugh about him being the same troll from the other day and how once again he is now on the bad side of the town for being an overall rude dude. If you've ever seen this guy in the discord you'd know how much of a temper he has rofl, I guess some people just get upset when they're caught with their pants down.

The curse changes were great as everyone else has said. I knew exactly who was hiding stuff the second life and OP was too goofy not to curse me at any point to essentially block me from spawning around them to catch them griefing. Silly silly silly.

Oh look, it's a wall of toxic filth that epitemizes that all the curse system does is empower entitled paper dolls to enforce their style of game play on literally everyone who pays for this game. Instead of exploring the games mechanics, and embodying different roles. Also, I'm not an older player you toxic clown, the village I was hiding pies in was my second life.

#11 2020-02-22 11:34:00

Morti

You know when you are about to click send, and you get that feeling you may have typed something you shouldn't have, kicks in?

Jayed wrote:

but want to throat punch you

Don't ignore that feeling, listen to it.

#12 2020-02-22 13:59:19

Léonard

Oh look, it's a wall of toxic filth that epitemizes that all griefing does is empower entitled paper dolls to enforce their style of game play on literally everyone who pays for this game.

#13 2020-02-22 17:05:43

Wuatduhf

Jayed wrote:

Oh look, it's a wall of toxic filth that epitemizes that all the curse system does is empower entitled paper dolls to enforce their style of game play on literally everyone who pays for this game. Instead of exploring the games mechanics, and embodying different roles.

> Labeling Tarr a player that doesn't explore game mechanics or practice different roles.

14-146259_omegalul-216-kb-omegalul-emote.png

#14 2020-02-22 17:07:41

DestinyCall

That image is going to give me nightmares, Wuatduhf.

I hope you are happy.

#15 2020-02-22 18:52:03

pein

back in the day we were properly marked and had to kill 8 people per life in self-defence then they curse me for not letting them kill me
even if they managed to kill me, they cursed me anyways, so yeah, it's a dumb mechanic

but then again, you don't tell the whole truth, and kinda deserved to be cursed the first time

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#16 2020-02-22 19:53:42

Legs

Agreed; the players supporting our current curse mechanic in this thread are petty entitled pushovers who want to be pandered to.

Most players that curse have absolutely no idea what it does or how it works. They see someone cursing, they understand it's something to do when you don't like someone and they curse for petty reasons. It's almost never done for a good reason. It's because I wouldn't give my nephew my backpack in a poor town or because I took a knife from a devious baby. Never for a good reason.

How often do you curse people? The tokens regenerate every 30 minutes. You can curse every life if you want. Sometimes twice a life. It's a broken system prone to abuse.

Loco Motion

#17 2020-02-22 20:37:53

Dodge

Funny to see griefers getting triggered by the curse system, sure some "unfair" curses happen every now and then but if you consistantly get cursed to the point of getting to donkey town then maybe just maybe it's you the problem and not the others or "the system"

One person distributing curses doesn't matter as you will only get banned from spawning near that person specifically and not others.

#18 2020-02-22 20:49:02

FishRfriendsnotfood
Banned

Jayed wrote:

As a clincal psychologist

I don't care if you are a griefer or not, not my concern.  I do however have an issue with you throwing around that you are a 'clinical psychologist'  like it's supposed to mean something.  Even considering you are on 'vacation' don't you have a life?  I'm a traveling nurse, I get contracts anywhere from 8 weeks to 13 weeks, sometimes longer depending on if I want to extend my contract.  There are times when I'm off I have time to play some lives, however I'm busy as hell.  I do not have time to play for days straight.  In fact right now I'm on a ER rotation, and finally have a day off after doing a week of twelves.  I'm just curious.....wtf a clinical psychologist (allegedly) is doing with THEIR life to be able to play a make believe game...non stop.  Also with how reactive you are to other players, is psychology really the career path you want to tout as having actual knowledge?  Being how you are clear a sociopath.  Your rage game, is on point.

Last edited by FishRfriendsnotfood (2020-02-22 20:51:58)

I'm fish, deal with it or don't, idgaf

#19 2020-02-22 20:57:02

Legs

I'm going to stop trying to reason with unreasonable people. Have fun with your willful ignorance and self-righteous evil, you shitty trash.

Loco Motion

#20 2020-02-22 21:15:20

DestinyCall

FishRfriendsnotfood wrote:
Jayed wrote:

I don't care if you are a griefer or not, not my concern.  I do however have an issue with you throwing around that you are a 'clinical psychologist'  like it's supposed to mean something.  Even considering you are on 'vacation' don't you have a life?  I'm a traveling nurse, I get contracts anywhere from 8 weeks to 13 weeks, sometimes longer depending on if I want to extend my contract.  There are times when I'm off I have time to play some lives, however I'm busy as hell.  I do not have time to play for days straight.  In fact right now I'm on a ER rotation, and finally have a day off after doing a week of twelves.  I'm just curious.....wtf a clinical psychologist (allegedly) is doing with THEIR life to be able to play a make believe game...non stop.  Also with how reactive you are to other players, is psychology really the career path you want to tout as having actual knowledge?  Being how you are clear a sociopath.  Your rage game, is on point.

I find it more worrisome to see a clinical psychologist using terms like "virtue signaling".   That is a huge red flag for me in any online interaction.   That term and ones like it tend to get thrown around by really terrible human beings in my personal experience.    Seeing a mental health professional use it to describe people he has never met in person is rather concerning. 

For what it is worth, I think it is genuinely unfortunate that he had such a rocky start in the game. I also think he brings up some really good points regarding the need for a better tutorial, single player game mode, and more guidance for new players to help them integrate into the community while avoiding misunderstandings   But I can't help thinking that he probably would have ended up "playing as an evil character" eventually, simply because someone would have questioned his actions and pushed him into reacting negatively.   

Throughout his early experiences, he was given opportunities to react to conflict with other players, and his choices repeatedly lead to more negative actions on his part.   Yet he doesn't accept responsibility for those actions or their direct consequences.     All the blame is focused on the other people judging him too harshly.    His first three lives were bad, but that is not simply because he was cursed unfairly.   It is also because he compounded his crimes, life after life.

This is game of social interactions.   You need to take responsibility for how your behavior is seen by other people.      And how you handle being accused of wrong-doing can make a big difference in whether or not you get cursed and how  people will react to meeting you in a future life.   People curse for many different reasons, some of them silly or stupid, but if those curses are routinely landing on you, that is not random.

The curse system is far from perfect.   But it does a better job now than it did before at prevent serial griefing.  Lack of anonymity has only been a part of the curse system for a few weeks.   It certainly is not responsible for a problem that has been an ongoing issue in this game for years.

Allowing complete anonymity for past offenders was not a better system.   It did let one-time griefers and people who were cursed in error rejoin the community without any uncomfortable questions.   But it also allowed problem players to escape notice and repeatedly harass unsuspecting villagers again and again.    The high level of serial griefing in this game is the reason why anonymity was removed, not an unfortunate side effect of labeling people as past offenders.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-02-23 02:24:26)

#21 2020-02-22 22:11:47

testo

Jayed wrote:

Griefers didn't 'get away with things' because of anonymity. They got away with things because the game's mechanics are unapologetically grief prone. I played the game seriously, attempting to help my families for the last 2 days (despite being called a griefer continually by certain clowns in this community). If a mechanic is causing the game to be unplayable, it's not the players fault, it's the game mechanic. Punishing PAYING CUSTOMERS for using an in game mechanic AS THE GAME HAS IT ENABLED TO BE USED FOR is not griefing. It's playing a game. It's almost as if you've never played a PvP game in your life. "OMG THIS GUY TOOK ME TO WILDERNESS AND KILLED ME! GRIEFER!" No... that's not Griefing. That's being smart.

Well if you want to roleplay as the psycho that kills anyone just because you are alone be my guest. But don´t expect people to be happy and salute you for being "smart" while they bleed out.

On the other hand I believe the killing mechanic was introduced exactly to prevent griefing, since before that you couldn´t stop people from destroying and stealing stuff. Even when they were killed they could just return as a new player, play dumb for a few minutes and start killing/locking doors/grief for a new life since they got anonymity behind them. This didn´t happen once or twice btw, there are hundreds and so instances of people killing and destroying full lineages, even people making threads of how much fun it was to destroy a town.

I have indeed played several PvP games, fps, rts, mmorpg, tbs I am sure I´m missing some genre. Maybe this will shock you but this is not intended as a PvP game which may be the source of all your misunderstanding (this is not my opinion, Jason has stated so). I would be happy to fight any griefer on equal footing in a proper combat system (I even used to call for a proper duel when the game allowed to dodge and we needed to solve some issue). The point behind all this is -anonymity is just that much of a powerful tool-. Paceful players had to deal with returning killers and griefers for months just because they have full anonymity. To me it is more like it is you the one that has never played a PvP game before: In PvP everyone has a win condition, a set goal before hand and everyone agrees to competition. Does that sound like a parenting and civilization building game?

I still advice you to read back these forums, because you assume many things that are simply not true in this regard.

Jayed wrote:

Again, 'griefers' didn't plague the game. Gamers plagued the game. Gamers playing the game with in game mechanics that Jason failed to realize he had designed to be too 'realistic' to actually properly function within an online video game. The game has less than 100 people playing during it's peak hours now and i still see someone curse someone else almost every single life because they're 'griefing.' When in reality it's someone just being super petty.

Oh yeah griefers did plague the game. I was even a mod in a griefers discord subforum. I am still mod there but the channel is completely dead. Funny enough one of the most known oldtime griefer asked me to mod there even though I don´t grief. I actually even defend your right to be an asshole ingame and destroy and grief all you want. What I don´t defend is the no retaliation doctrine, mostly because griefers have anonymity. In a proper PvP game with a username and no anonymity you wouldn´t be raised so often if you are a dick to others. I normally curse people when I don´t want to play with them and I am happy everyone has the same right. I don´t log in to be chasing after some idiot that wants to kill others or likes to steal stuff to make the game "interesting". I don´t log in to read racial slurs or people being aggresive for no reason. It is just that simple.   

Jayed wrote:

Glad you like it, but want to throat punch you that you think that you're entitled to enjoy playing the game the way you want to, but pvp players aren't. Even though you approve of my idea, you're opinion perfectly embodies everything that's wrong with this community and the way Jason is taking it.

Well how could I dodge that punch if I had to play the game pvp players wanted and not the way I wanted for months? How could I possibly dodge a PvP punch that I don´t want to take because I don´t log in to this game to PvP? My opinion may be wrong to you sir, but I believe I´m not alone on it and the latests changes in the killing mechanic make me think PvP is not where the game is going right now.

Jayed wrote:

This is actually why I'm replying to you, because you're 100% wrong here. If you read 'My Experience' You'd know I actually played on the private servers for several lives. And no, it's not universally bad. It teaches you how to play the damn game and with the basics given to you during the tutorial of the game, any new player should be sufficiently able to at least feed themselves and begin experimenting with crafting and learning the tech tier.

My friend who I also bought the game for didn't want to play after his second life because he said he had no idea where to even begin, because spawning into a town already under way leaves you swimming with no clue what to do. In fact if you look at how new players comment about the game in discord you'll hear my words reverberated by them.

Playing multiple lives as an Eve is how I learned to play, and I died of old age on each. ALSO! YOU DO NOT RESPAWN IN THE SAME PLACE! If I had, I wouldn't have ever even came back to the multiplayer server. I would have just built myself a giant town, took screen shots, and said duces. I literally only went back to main servers because I couldn't progress beyond what I could push out in a single 60 minute experience.

Did you play on low population servers from that list? Well I don´t know what to say sir, maybe you got a defective game. Allowing new players to Eve in BS2 is a bad idea because you need some basic level of planning to make a town, for starters a spring for your well. So many times I´ve seen new people making towns far from a well location or next to dry springs lol. Yeah and there are several other factors, allowing new players to Eve is a terrible idea, I wonder if anyone with more than a month of game experience would think otherwise.

Jayed wrote:

The game is exactly the opposite for who? You? Because the way it plays, I am forced to bounce between 4 towns, all the same towns, just seperated by an hour, or a series of /die to get myself back to the town I want to play in. Incidentally, this is something several players do, as is obvious from those who insta die when they spawn. So no, neither is the game designed to be the exact opposite, but many players 'idiots' as you refer to them, actually enjoy the idea of watching a single town evolve throughout the generations.

Jayed wrote:

My suggestions make a lot of sense to me, as someone who understands the entirety of this game having already played it for 60+ hours, exhausted every corner of it's Wikipedia and done everything in game but cause the apocolypse with the blood stone. Hell I even built Oddity for lulz since I could actually achieve that solo.

Well yeah we clearly have a different view on how the game is supposed to go (Not how I want it to go but its developer). For the last time I advice you to read some of Jason´s posts about the game. I am sorry but I am too lazy to make a selection for you.

I congratulate you on your achievement of Oddity, I´ve never made one.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#22 2020-02-22 23:11:24

Spoonwood

testo wrote:

Allowing new players to Eve in BS2 is a bad idea because you need some basic level of planning to make a town, for starters a spring for your well. So many times I´ve seen new people making towns far from a well location or next to dry springs lol. Yeah and there are several other factors, allowing new players to Eve is a terrible idea, I wonder if anyone with more than a month of game experience would think otherwise.

Testo, the game started off with new players Eveing.  Such families fail more often?  So what if they do?  A good game comes as worth it learning from the ground up.  And good games *encourage* players to learn them from the ground up, not discourage them from doing so.  Design of a game which doesn't encourage learning it from the whole ground up is bad, because it encourages players dependence instead of them becoming self-reliant in game.  BS2 OHOL encourages player dependence in many other ways also than by discouraging players from learning the game from the ground up (tool dependence, race dependence, dependence on incoming players due to no bots as children, dependence on updates not getting pushed for lineages continuing to go on, and probably more), but I digress.  The game's premise had included re-building civilization *from scratch*.

jasonrohrer wrote:

"If we had to start over from scratch, but kept all of our knowledge, how long would it take us to get back to iPhones?" where iPhones are a placeholder for whatever sufficiently advanced tech we can imagine.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 896#p81896

But the whole premise got extremely weakened a long time ago not too long ago after The Come Together Disaster.  And then the game becomes less and less about building, but more about civilization maintanence (which I mentioned a while back here: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … p?id=6845)

No Testo, there exists a serious case for more Eve camps (not runaways... starting from scratch) and even new players as Eve as that can be part of the process by which they can become self-reliant in the game, and can understand it more thoroughly.

But why would it matter?

Jason wants almost all players born as a baby, his "vision" is about creating player dependence in ever so many ways, and most importantly ever so many veteran players sit there and try to cope with such dependence instead of either not playing or trying to make it more likely that other people won't play.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-02-22 23:12:15)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#23 2020-02-23 00:19:23

testo

Yeah I understand your point Spoon. I agree the game should have a better incentive to ingame learning and the already made towns are not really the best starting point. On the other side you also know not everyone can Eve to get a town going and the latests game mechanics like specialization and tool slots don´t mix well with continouous Eve spawning. I would like more new camps to arise but I don´t see how making new players Eve is better than veterans doing it. While I believe the real longterm success of a family doesn´t depend on the Eve but in the first 4 generations I also believe the inmediate failure of a family does depend on the Eve.

I wouldn´t really mind playing in new camps more often, I believe it is an enjoyable part of the game. But making it so new players Eve whenever they want and bring a full family after them? No, I don´t think I would enjoy having to explain all the basics to someone while half the players suicide around me or having to start a new camp somewhere else because my mom just happened to choose a place with no well clay or water closeby. I wouldn´t mind teaching in a low pop server (and I have done it several times) but somehow the game mechanics make both contexts completely different to me.

- Jack Ass

#24 2020-02-23 01:12:02

Jayed

FishRfriendsnotfood wrote:
Jayed wrote:

This was an entertaining read. an ER nurse pretending she's qualified to diagnose someone with a mental disorder because of how they engage with people in video games. You must lack reading comprehension. I'm in Thailand on vacation and just bunkering down in my hotel until I leave for India because I'm not risking contracting the Coronavirus with how wide spread it's becoming here.

As for how I have so much free time, or your opinion of my career path you can take solace knowing I'm no longer practicing. I retired in 2018 after just 3 years because I got lucky as hell to have a few hundred Bitcoin that I never spent on LSD on Silkroad.

All that aside, I love that instead of actually addressing the points I've made in this thread, you're attempting to come at me for my career. It shows how petty you are as an individual. Which now knowing you're a nurse, actually makes a lot of sense. It's ironic that you call me a sociopath considering just how many nurses fall on the ASPD spectrum. But I'm not so juvenile as to actually label you such because of your online behavior.

Enjoy your little community in your game that is slowly withering away to a non-existent player base because Jason has decided he'd rather allow 15 crybabies to force others to play the game as they want it played, or risk having wasted $20 on a game which they're never able to experience beyond the first hour worth of content developed in it. I'm wiping my hands of both this game and it's community.

#25 2020-02-23 01:34:32

unoriginal artist

Jayed wrote:
testo wrote:

testo wrote:

testo wrote:

testo wrote:

testo wrote:

testo wrote:

Before I begin, allow me to say I'm still a very new player. I've only been playing for about five days.

You legit just said you just started and you have 60+ hours?????????????????????  Also if u were doing low pop u would know the feature to be able to be reborn in the exact same spot every time you die. Also u keep REEEE in discord when you only joined like what 2-3 days ago and you say newbies complain about how hard it is to learn??? ive been in that discord for FAR longer and only thing ive seen is people ask to twin, pointers, or videos on the game.... not complain. You also legitly said you enjoyed to grief...... dude..... you mentioned how you were bored and just wanna troll in the discord chat but doing this on a game you *dont seem to like* is kinda sad. if u seriously want pvp go play fortnite and ask for a refund on this game.... with only 5 days playing you can probs get it back.

Board footer