One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-15 07:42:47

Dodge

Is this a joke?

How is that fun or interesting?

screen00076-1.jpg

Villages 5.5K apart, going trough tiles and tiles of the same damn thing.

Oh it's the yellow biome, oh here's the grey biome, wow i'm in the green biome now and repeating 100+ times, so great....

#2 2020-01-15 07:52:52

JasonY

Re: Is this a joke?

You are telling me you're only just noticing this

Need Content

#3 2020-01-15 08:01:36

fug

Yes, there's too many Eves being spawned in daily which kicks the Eve spawns way out west to the point that its long way from A to B. You're about a twenty eight minute walk to the main bell city.

At the time of checking this there were 4 lineages alive with 45 players on the server with a potential 5 lineage (though the unknowns were likely the kids of the first four who hadn't been named.) A vital race should never EVER be that far away from a main hub town unless by choice (someone setting up an apocalypse, tutorial town, etc.) Hell, no villages should be a nearly 30+ minute walk away from each other with random people sprinkled in between when it's very much required to have 2-3 races to keep a place going.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#4 2020-01-15 08:08:28

Dodge

JasonY wrote:

You are telling me you're only just noticing this

No

#5 2020-01-15 08:15:49

Dodge

fug wrote:

You're about a twenty eight minute walk to the main bell city.

twenty eight minutes of repeated uninteresting wilderness

fug wrote:

A vital race should never EVER be that far away from a main hub town unless by choice, Hell, no villages should be a nearly 30+ minute walk away from each other with random people sprinkled in between when it's very much required to have 2-3 races to keep a place going.

Yes

Current Eve algorithm is just bad, towns should be max 1K apart and even that is too much, should be spiral like before and not sttraight line, gingers can make bell towers so finding locations is not the major issue since we can share maps of different villages, distance is...

#6 2020-01-15 08:37:27

DestinyCall

Yeah, the extreme distances are killing us.    Running through procedurally-generated wilderness for half an hour is incredibly boring.

#7 2020-01-15 10:06:56

Twisted

Unless I'm wrong about the Eve spawning, it would take 130 Eves to spawn 5.5k tiles apart (Eves spawn in columns of 5 in a zig zag pattern, 200 tiles apart each).

Why are there so many Eves spawning? Even if there were 10 Eves per day it would take almost two weeks to move 5.5k tiles.

Maybe that's the furthest out bell and there's several bell towns inbetween? If that's the case then I think it's OK.

#8 2020-01-15 10:26:22

Twisted

Maybe the Eve belt shouldn't move if the Eve fails? If an Eve doesn't succed (for example, if her entire lineage has no more fertile or to-be-fertile members within 90 minutes of her spawning), the Eve spot gets recycled. That way families would be closer together than they are right now, towns would last longer, and there would still be potential for new families with different tech levels.

#9 2020-01-15 10:28:23

Dodge

Twisted wrote:

Maybe that's the furthest out bell and there's several bell towns inbetween? If that's the case then I think it's OK.

No that's not ok, imagine one of the family is the browns and at the other end the blacks, they need each other right?

So you have to travel 5.5K of boring repetitive landscape to get ressources for your town.

#10 2020-01-15 10:28:51

fug

Twisted wrote:

Unless I'm wrong about the Eve spawning, it would take 130 Eves to spawn 5.5k tiles apart (Eves spawn in columns of 5 in a zig zag pattern, 200 tiles apart each).

Why are there so many Eves spawning? Even if there were 10 Eves per day it would take almost two weeks to move 5.5k tiles.

We had 53 Eves Tuesday with 23 being named (some of the 53 are donkey Eves but I'm not manually sorting this lel.)

Monday had 87 total eves and 30 named Eves.

Sunday had 94 Eves total and 43 named Eves.

Saturday had 56 Eves total and 25 named Eves.

Clearly some of these Eves are donkeys, and some of the nameless are Eves who just instantly suicide which pushes the spawn out further and further. We're moving at a rate of about 1-1.5k a day just based on the Eves who name themselves which I count as people actually trying to play and even further depending on how many instant suicide Eves exist.

If you manage to survive the night you're looking at about as 15 minute trip walking somewhere from the furthest spawns one way which is something 3/4 races have to do if they never find black people. The amount of Eves in my opinion really needs to be dropped down to something a bit less extreme if people are to interact.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#11 2020-01-15 10:31:19

Dodge

fug wrote:

The amount of Eves in my opinion really needs to be dropped down to something a bit less extreme if people are to interact.

Yes imo if there is already 4 family races on the map then unless there is above x (70-100?) number of players there shouldn't be any more Eve spawning.

#12 2020-01-15 11:19:42

Punkypal

Since I've been back I've been laying road nonstop from the first bell town that started ringing it's bell and headed west. The "road" is over 3k long now. About half is connected road, the other half is one tile every five spaces. I've been doing this constantly with at least 8 lives per day. Most of them live to 60. The Eve camps are now just over 2k ahead of the road.

The road isn't even 100% connected. Just making a guide path which takes less than half the time and it's impossible to keep up. I roughly estimate to actually make ONLY ONE UNBROKEN ROAD that keeps up with the eve's would take 15 players doing nothing but road building every life they play. We don't even have half that many road builders, nor can we afford that many. If 15 players that actually did work all started just building road, the rest of the population would starve to death buck naked.

So I agree, the Eve's are taking off west at a crazy speed again, and as someone who runs around in the empty spaces picking up rocks in my carts, there is no sign of life in 95% of the world. It is getting very boring and I'm about to quit again because it's absolutely breaking the gameplay. And you know something is totally FUBAR when 100% of the players who use the forums all agree it's messed up. We never agree on anything.

Daily Updated Map of Player Structures: https://bit.ly/2UrfOQ9
Link to Many Beginner Guides: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNp6g7 … xcw/videos
Composting Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmgyl9evfhw
Diesel Engine Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA

#13 2020-01-15 13:01:32

Spoonwood

fug wrote:

We had 53 Eves Tuesday with 23 being named (some of the 53 are donkey Eves but I'm not manually sorting this lel.)

How did you get those numbers?

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#14 2020-01-15 14:57:33

DarkDrak

fug wrote:

Clearly some of these Eves are donkeys, and some of the nameless are Eves who just instantly suicide which pushes the spawn out further and further. We're moving at a rate of about 1-1.5k a day just based on the Eves who name themselves which I count as people actually trying to play and even further depending on how many instant suicide Eves exist.

If you manage to survive the night you're looking at about as 15 minute trip walking somewhere from the furthest spawns one way which is something 3/4 races have to do if they never find black people. The amount of Eves in my opinion really needs to be dropped down to something a bit less extreme if people are to interact.

I looked at the data of the last week (monday 6th - sunday 12th) and it looks way worse than that.

Monday      6th - 107 Eves
Tuesday      7th - 134 Eves
Wednesday 8th - 110 Eves
Thursday    9th - 144 Eves
Friday        10th - 190 Eves
Saturday    11th - 56 Eves
Sunday      12th - 94 Eves

For a grand total of 835 Eves last week. If every 5 eves move the spawn west of 200, then that's up to 33k distance traveled. That's 4,7k/day on average. Ofc one has to take out the amount of donkey eves, but like, how many of them are there?

Are tutorial eves still counted in life logs? 'Cause these numbers look really demoralizinging otherwise.

Spoon, these numbers come from http://publicdata.onehouronelife.com/
Go to public life log data, to that of bs2 of today's date, then scroll to the bottom and pick a day. search for "noparent" to find the rough number of eves.

Youtube guide to Oil and Kerosene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKSZHPiUK6A
Youtube guide to Diesel Engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA&t=5s

World is not black and white

#15 2020-01-15 15:10:40

Villas

I’ve travelled a lot to loot dead towns, even 4K west, after the furthest reachable bell town, I found some interesting stuff, even a complete engine. What I realized is that there are too much wet springs between towns, sometik s I travel more than 1K without finding any dry spring, what makes me think that something is pushing the Eve spawn, like when the tutorial Eves were counting as ordinary Eves, may be donkey Eves are pushing it west? At least when I play Eve, nowadays I settle very near my spawn point, if there is a tarry spot and some ponds nearby, that’s fine for me, usually green biomes have rabbits and ponds nearby, so I only have to find some snow, but I wonder why would there have more than 1K gap without dry springs, even with lots of snow biomes within it.

#16 2020-01-15 15:15:13

testo

testo wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

We used to have an Eve spiral which worked like that.    I prefer it to the current Eve highway.    Something needs to change to allow families to find each other, as long as race specialization is part of the game.

We can't survive without rubber and oil.

Make no mistake, this is the secret way we are supposed to ask for the rift back and see how amazingly good it was to be in a cage.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#17 2020-01-15 16:05:53

Spoonwood

Villas wrote:

I’ve travelled a lot to loot dead towns, even 4K west, after the furthest reachable bell town, I found some interesting stuff, even a complete engine. What I realized is that there are too much wet springs between towns, sometik s I travel more than 1K without finding any dry spring, what makes me think that something is pushing the Eve spawn, like when the tutorial Eves were counting as ordinary Eves, may be donkey Eves are pushing it west? At least when I play Eve, nowadays I settle very near my spawn point, if there is a tarry spot and some ponds nearby, that’s fine for me, usually green biomes have rabbits and ponds nearby, so I only have to find some snow, but I wonder why would there have more than 1K gap without dry springs, even with lots of snow biomes within it.

I thought a week ago, and mentioned this to someone on the discord, about logging onto bs2 and just going around and digging up wet springs.  I never did so.  Is many wet springs between towns a problem, or an opportunity?

Danish Clinch.

#18 2020-01-15 16:35:30

Spoonwood

Things spread out a lot more slowly in the low pop context.  Towns may spread out so quickly, because of the high number of players concentrated on one server, no matter what spawn mechanics we have for Eves.

If the system got changed to the maximally spreading players not checking a custom server (except for the update period) as described here: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8927 (note the part about bots as children) then spread could be slower.  Rushing the tech tree also wouldn't end up necessary.  And the borderline area of say 16 players with race restrictions and tool slots could get examined as if it's a suitable challenge long-term (though again, rushing the tech tree for water extraction wouldn't be as pressing).  The spread might even be more controllable, since perhaps bots could help lineages stay around, thus Eves wouldn't spawn, OR players could kill the bots to enable more Eve spawns and increase the spread.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-01-15 16:38:14)

Danish Clinch.

#19 2020-01-15 19:29:49

wondible

DarkDrak wrote:

Are tutorial eves still counted in life logs? 'Cause these numbers look really demoralizinging otherwise.

I've seen 1-3 a day get recorded. Never tried to figure out if it was twins or what. Kind of handy if you want to locate tutorial zone on the map actually.

I can make out about 7-8 columns of regular zone eves in yesterday's data, depending if you want to combine the partials. But it seems to have about 2 settlements per column, but some also have nothing significant. Don't know if they died or joined another group though.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#20 2020-01-15 19:51:56

pein

people shouldn't eve if they don't want to

not having horses also hurts cause people steal the ones you get

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer