One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-11 03:27:26

IronBear

Proactive Family Spreading.

It strikes me that a lot of players are reluctant to move on to found new villages.  But with the inevitablity of griefers and resource depletion this is a skill that expert players have to develop.

So I wanted to present some simple rules of thumb for debate to allow for proactive colonization.

#1: Knowing when to colonize vs. staying put.

If any of the following are true, it is time to move.

--- You see more than 5 adults and they have weapons (all character s die and eventually a Griefer will inheirted that weapon).

--- You see more than 5 adults and they are nude. (This signals the location is resource poor and will be using resources at a very fast rate. You need to move before the collapse happens)

--- You see one or less compost heap, the nearby sources of worms are gone, and there are more than 5 adults. ( You want to move because a large population coupled by a lack of non renewable resources, means your town is likely to raise a Griefer to adulthood, give him the tools to grief, and lack the resources to recover from a sabateur)

-- You see someone trying to grow wheat or their are 5 or more adults and they are ignoring the farms (This is just signal of mass stupidity, grow a crop of carrots and get out while you can)

#2 How to organize a colonization effort.

-- A colonization effort should be initiated by a female in her teens.  She should approach a male and see if he is interested. (The reason young females should initiate is because it singals seriousness from a player to do this from a character most likely to make it possible.  Time is short, and you can't waste it on the uncommitted and incapable)

#3 Types of Colonization

--- Quick/Emergency : The female carries a basket, two food, and a full water pouch.  The male carries a basket, two food, and a bone needle.  Make sure you leave  with a full stomach.  All babies are abondoned without pause.  If you can carry more go for it, but don't colonize if you are taking the last of these items.  Head either East or West until you reach at least your second large green patch.

--- Organized: You should carry at least as much as a quick move plus a hand cart.  About half the cart should be food, and the other tools.  The male should pull the cart and the female carry kids.  Use your best judgement on how many kids you bother to save while in transit, but remember that speed is key.  You don't have time to be dropping and picking up kids.

#4 Word of Warning

--- Don't Tell your newborns that you are a colony.  Only the most experienced player are excited by establishing a colony. Most players are intimidated.  You will have a lot of baby suciding if they think there is a bigger city they could reincarnated.

Last edited by IronBear (2018-04-13 16:59:18)

#2 2018-04-11 03:49:01

Joriom
Website

Re: Proactive Family Spreading.

If your town is still in a decent state - try to get sheeps done and lasso. Horse with a cart doubles the speed of movement and is perfect for what you propose.

#3 2018-04-11 04:10:25

pein

well no matter what, create 5 boards and make floor signaling as an arrow, 1 spacing between

straight ahead make a single fence in next biomes border to park a horse, helps with resource gathering and on colonization. take the duplicate tools, do this if the city is well developed and people are too lazy

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2018-04-11 04:19:14

denriguez

Oh man this is such sorely needed advice, especially what to bring. A pouch and a needle are super simple but cost quite a bit of time when you're bootstrapping. That's terrific advice. I'm actually surprised that more players don't strike out and make new settlements, and that more villages aren't actively encouraging this to preserve the family line. If one Eve raises three daughters and they all stay put, it's somewhat likely that soon that village will either encounter a food panic when the daughters start having babies, or will birth a griefer. But if even one of those daughters strikes out with a young boy to start a new settlement, that branch of the line has a chance to avoid whatever fate might befall those who remained on the homestead.

I tried a quick exit as a late-20s female and convinced a teenage girl to come with me. We were in a village where only the matriarch seemed to know what she was doing--she was forging, but the carrot farm was nothing but seeds. We stupidly took three pies in one basket and three carrot seeds (?!?) in another. We were briefly separated after a long run east and the young girl starved because I was carrying all the damned food. I made it to a decent spot and had a boy before I aged out, but he didn't last long. I died eating my first harvest of carrots, alone, in a swamp, dreaming of the village I'd left behind.

#5 2018-04-11 04:23:23

Lily

I wonder how well this actually works. Theoretically the idea of splitting off and creating new cities and stuff is very good. However, since there is a limited number of people per server and you spawn to random females, aren't you kind of competing against your old town for babies? If you actually split into several towns, then some of them will definitely die do to population drop, and it isn't necessarily the one that is doing worse but whichever has less people.

#6 2018-04-11 04:56:57

denriguez

Lily wrote:

I wonder how well this actually works. Theoretically the idea of splitting off and creating new cities and stuff is very good. However, since there is a limited number of people per server and you spawn to random females, aren't you kind of competing against your old town for babies? If you actually split into several towns, then some of them will definitely die do to population drop, and it isn't necessarily the one that is doing worse but whichever has less people.

Yeah, I saw the same mentioned in another thread. Hadn't considered population caps.

#7 2018-04-11 12:27:30

IronBear

Joriom wrote:

If your town is still in a decent state - try to get sheeps done and lasso. Horse with a cart doubles the speed of movement and is perfect for what you propose.

A horse cart is not necessary and pointless if you have to wait for a female carrying a child.

Also, A move should use what is available because 20 minites can easily pass as you craft something.  The only things you should pause to make are a water pouch and a bone needle.

Bone needles and water pouches are choke point item that sit at the end of 20 minute + projects.  You don't have them and you can't settle down.

Last edited by IronBear (2018-04-11 12:42:45)

#8 2018-04-11 12:38:20

IronBear

Lily wrote:

That is an excellent question that deserves and and excellent question in turn.

What is the max number of people per server?

If it is less than 20, then colonization is stupid.  You will just spread out the females to thin then set them all up for failure. If it is more than 20 it should not be a problem.  It should actually ease the burden on the old village and Eves. 

But a colony should probably remember where it came from so it can reverse colonize. That is why you should stick to a cardinal direction when you move.

#9 2018-04-11 12:49:14

superBlast

I heard it was 40 per official server.

#10 2018-04-11 14:27:32

IronBear

superBlast wrote:

I heard it was 40 per official server.

Then colonization should be a good idea.  Just remember, don't expect every colony to succeed.  A colony is more about keeping a family alive and denying griefers a chance to win.  80% of the time life would be easier if you stay put and helped you original settlement.  But if everyone stays put there is a 100% chance that eventually a griefer will take it all out or resources will run out.

#11 2018-04-11 15:57:04

Lucky-San

I would like that some day, we can make a "Village marker" as we make a "home marker" (needs to control that this is the only one in the area). It could also incite to spread our name in another village.

When the option to see a family tree will be implemented, it will to be cool to have the mention of "Player xxxxx found the village xxxxxxx". Very incitating!

Last edited by Lucky-San (2018-04-11 16:01:58)

sorry for my english, but you know, not everyone is british or american... I'm french by the way (the best country in the world!) wink

#12 2018-04-13 14:03:31

IronBear

I have tried a lot of colonization of late and I have to say it is super easy to start a settlement if you start with a cart and backpack full of food and tools. You can find the ideal spot and have a carrot farm going in 10 minutes.

One think I have learned is don't tell the kids.  They tend to sucide.

Last edited by IronBear (2018-04-13 14:04:12)

Board footer