One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-13 01:25:04

Avalikia

How to migrate?

With the new food nerfs coming into play, it's clear that maintaining a village in the long term will get more and more difficult.  Which means that migrating to a new location from time to time starts to become an appealing strategy.

One that, to be honest, I'm a bit surprised that I've not seen being used already.  Why is it that the strategy for handling babysplosions to kill off the 'excess' instead of maybe having some of the mothers - because there are clearly too many - migrate to a new place and start a new village?  Why, if the farm is being poorly handled and there's clearly not going to be enough food for everyone soon, does absolutely everyone still try to live in that same village and make the situation worse when they could venture forth?  Yes, there's a risk involved in running off into uncharted territory, but is it more risky than staying put and hoping that you manage to stash away the last basket of carrots and survive long enough for that carrot row to grow while your family starves?

In any event, I'll stop ranting and get to my point: I'm wondering what advice any of the players with a better mind for strategy than I do have for moving to a new location - both if you're heading off by yourself or if you're taking some or part of a whole village?  There are guides for starting off as an Eve, but it's a different situation if you can bring some 'advanced' items with you and/or if you have other people helping.  What are the most important items to bring if you want your new start to be as quick and easy as possible, but you've only got a basket and a backpack?  What do you add to the list if you are able to bring a cart?  Or several people with carts?  (I'm assuming it's a long move, because if you have enough people and carts and it's a short move you can simply take everything by doing it in multiple trips.)  Also, when you set up your village, how does your strategy differ from an Eve's?

#2 2018-04-13 01:45:05

BlueRock

Re: How to migrate?

How to Migrate:
Food is first priority.
Follow closely, and watch out for Dangerous Animals, though it is almost certain to affect you somewhere along the trail.
Ignore babies.
Cross your fingers and hope the region you find by the time your food is running short has enough berries, onions, and burdock for your migratory flock to survive finding out if you have all the biomes you need to make a village, and also quickly get new food going.

Anything further is pure speculation, obviously you should be using carts, clothing, and backpacks during migration.

#3 2018-04-13 05:27:20

Aurora Aurora

I did a migration that saved an entire lineage. I didn’t go far frown the original town, just about one minute down. I camped somewhere where we had lots of soil, water and bushes and started building a farm. I was a woman so I had a daughter, I let her live in the big village because she’d surely die otherwise. I gradually started stealing things from the big town since they were fucked anyways (No smith or Baker, planting milkweed and wheat in the farm etc) but I never took anything that’d be noticed or missed, like a fire bow or a hatchet. When I had a fire and a farm set up I got my son. I told him what the deal was and where the village was and when he was old enough he helped me raid the town as well. Rinse and repeat until I had 5 sons and a decent town with a farm, forging station, a few tools and some hunting equipment.
I noticed that we didn’t have any girls, but I had planned for that by killing off any other daughter I got. I went up to the village and took one of my toddler granddaughters instead of my grown daughter because by the time my granddaughter got to having babies we’d have room for them. When I died everything went smoothly and our ilneage could carry on peacefully. At least until the server reset ten minutes later.

And that’s how you migrate! Just steal shit and have sons!

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#4 2018-04-13 05:27:24

ryanb
Website

It would be interesting to have one central village that makes migration kit carts: a couple baskets of pies, fire bow drill, axe, bone needle, a couple snares and maybe some more tools?

The family line could continue on across multiple towns.

One Hour One Life Crafting Reference
https://onetech.info/

#5 2018-04-13 05:46:03

yvanhooe

Be as fully clothed as possible.

The ONE thing you need to quickly resume a farming community are water containers. Then a few seeds and plenty of food. If you have enough food to last until the carrot patches mature, you will go much faster.

Having a needle allows you to bypass the whole rabbit cooking arc. I'd also have the fire bow, an axe (which makes the hatchet obsolete). Then a snare.

#6 2018-04-13 05:54:46

Avalikia

Aurora Aurora wrote:

And that’s how you migrate! Just steal shit and have sons!

Well, I'd consider that to be a valid strategy in certain situations, but that's not what I really mean by a migration.  If you're still close enough to loot another village for an extended period of time then you're probably also close enough that you're competing for resources when you forage.

#7 2018-04-13 07:02:11

Joriom
Website

How to migrate, the guide

• Take all your adobe kilns and forges and pack them up in a cart alongside all your adobe/pine walls.

• In the second cart put all those 40 berry bushes and 100 milkweed plants. Just make sure you dig them up carefully so you can replant them later.

• Spare one cart for materials to build 4 wells.

• Make sure you take all your 12 steel tools and fit them all nicely inside of your backpack.

• Have some people on horses who can carry kids on the way so kids don't slow you down.

• Dont foget to pack up 50 muttons in your food cart.

• With combined work of half of the server you might even pull it off and die to rattle snakes on the way!

Last edited by Joriom (2018-04-13 07:02:38)

#8 2018-04-13 07:08:53

fragilityh14

a basket of food and a backpack with a fire bow drill, hatchet, snare, and water pouch is plenty. with the frequency of running into berry bushes you can essentially run forever if you keep refilling it.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#9 2018-04-13 07:10:28

Joriom
Website

fragilityh14 wrote:

a basket of food and a backpack with a fire bow drill, hatchet, snare, and water pouch is plenty. with the frequency of running into berry bushes you can essentially run forever if you keep refilling it.

Ofc its enough. Its enough to loose all your progress.

#10 2018-04-13 07:57:54

Lily

If you call it migrating instead of fleeing, then you should at least bring a cart with you. You want it full of baskets since not only can you carry more but you will need the baskets too. Though I think ideally you would have at least two people, with two full carts of stuff.

Running out into the woods with a basket of some random tools is just fleeing. Though if you are fully clothed, you are a lot better off than an Eve at least.

#11 2018-04-13 08:32:29

pein

the scenario as follows: too many babies, too small farm, usually far from water, once the carrots are gone, they try to seed and water but not enough tools to do that and no real cooperation
your goal: make it easier to run the village or to migrate
your means may differ

step1: home marker, just to not get lost, helps a lot
step 2: gear up, saves a lot of food, a backpack can hold and hide food or items from others, or go fetchsome rabbits, or wait an old person to die and give some clothes
step 3: communicate, try to convince each female to limit baby production, increase food production, if you cant convince, you can force it, kidnap babies or kil stupid mothers
step 4: set up farm clsoer to water, improves on water runs, even with bowls they can water crops
step 5: set up a small farm further away, pick out some carrots, store seeds and leave some water to restart it any time
step 6: decide who you want to live with, by this time you should explored all biomes nearby, talked/seen peoples in action. you need the smart ones, also your kids can be the best assets, they are loyal, you got a few mins to tell them what to and what not to do, the les peopel you can convince to cooperate, the further you need to go, at least 3 biomes away
step seven: take all the duplicate tools, some bowls, snares, 1-2 pouches maybe,b orrow advanced tools if needed, take it back later, make your own,start small and limit population, each woman one daughte one son, if they die or the diffference is big, two daughters, really depends on your output
if everyone dies, scavenge everythign yo ucan, and instruct your kids to send out some people on move

things you need to do anyway any run:
set up fences on 4 sides of city and if you can few biomes away. this helps with horse carts
set up roads or paths (cut tees, line made of firewood) to signal routes easy
set up a small farm near a water source outside main areas
asses how much resources the city has, try to form a plan and communicate

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#12 2018-04-13 13:54:19

IronBear

I actually started a thread here with my ideas.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1073

#13 2018-04-13 14:01:41

Thexus

Berrislamist migrants? The carrot church will kill you all.

Discord: Translators' Server, Thexus#3774
Working again on translations, oof

#14 2018-04-13 14:12:26

IronBear

Colonization is super easy. It is so easy that it is clear to me that it is what we are suppose to do.  Starting a town in a garden of Eden conditions with all the tools of full town can be done in like 10 minutes by a single person.

The problem is other players are intimidated by it.  I get a lot of baby sucides.  So if you do colonize, don't tell your kids until you are dying and they are grown.

#15 2018-04-13 15:47:04

fragilityh14

Joriom wrote:
fragilityh14 wrote:

It's pretty damn easy to find a new appropriate campsite with enough berries to live on til the carrots come in. All you need to do is dump soil down, plant some seeds, and water with the pouch you brought. Those items cover like the first 15 minutes of making a new camp- w/o kids

Listen to your mom!

#16 2018-04-13 16:34:09

Joriom
Website

fragilityh14 wrote:
Joriom wrote:
fragilityh14 wrote:

It's pretty damn easy to find a new appropriate campsite with enough berries to live on til the carrots come in. All you need to do is dump soil down, plant some seeds, and water with the pouch you brought. Those items cover like the first 15 minutes of making a new camp- w/o kids

I'm not talking about loosing what you took with you. I'm talking about leaving behind sheep pen that took 3 generations to be finished. I'm talking about buildings that took combined effort of 5 people over 2 generations to finish. I'm talking about spare tool you had that you need to forge now yet again without even having forge yet. I'm talking about 10 horses with carts that sped up your work in the willage. I'm taking about 10 spare sets of wool clothing that was made over generations.

But well, yeah. Today single grieffr has stollen our 7 horses along most of the tools, bowls, and other crap before we killed him... And people lost interest in playing there after spending 4 hours building stuff.

#17 2018-04-13 16:57:02

IronBear

Like said in my post, colonization is about avoiding and blunting effect of the inevitable Griefer. 

If you whole family stays but, inevitablity a Griefer will wipe you out and everything will rest to Eve level.  But if you are constantly making new camps in new settings, they can't get it all.  And it hard for a griefer born to new settlement that is just a carrot farm that never made weapons or bows.

#18 2018-04-13 17:00:04

fragilityh14

oh yeah, totally, i mean, one shouldn't rob the nice stuff from a village and then flee. In this case i would either make the items or make sure that the civ didn't need them (Those items are not that scarce to a flourishing civ) and tell people what direction i was going to hopefully some contact could be maintained. I think around 2 minutes in a straight direction is probably far enough to avoid most resource competition.

also i don't that commonly play two games truly in a row, for some reason i often find it disappointing to come back to the same place. though i'm not much of a crafter/advanced builder. i still haven't learned how to make metal tools (well, i mean, i understand the sequence well enough i could figure it out, but by the time it is necessary someone else has generally already done it/will do it) and my building is generally limited to gathering adobe for unfinished walls if there's a food surplus.

I really like starting new colonies/working on newer ones and I do a substantial amount of gathering as a task. (which of course, has increased in importance in latest update.)

Listen to your mom!

#19 2018-04-13 17:18:12

Lily

I like the idea of making your own stuff before leaving. If you are born into an advanced city, then it is fairly easy to contribute, then make your own stuff and leave. So they don't lose anything in either feeding you or in tools.

#20 2018-04-13 17:42:44

Chard

A basket, a berry, a bone and a bowl. smile

#21 2018-04-13 18:07:52

Potjeh

Why would you need the berry bushes if you're migrating? It's not like soil usage is a concern in this situation. Wells too, you're supposed to be moving somewhere with more ponds. Wells are shit anyway. Forging full tool set isn't all that hard and horses are meh, so really the only thing of value you're leaving behind are the sheep, but they're not all that great anyway.

#22 2018-04-13 18:34:33

IronBear

Lily wrote:

I like the idea of making your own stuff before leaving. If you are born into an advanced city, then it is fairly easy to contribute, then make your own stuff and leave. So they don't lose anything in either feeding you or in tools.

I like your effort to be moral, but frankly you don't have time to make it all.  Only teen girls have a chance of establishing a colony, and if they make everything they are taking they will be infertile.

A MUCH more feasible alternative is never take the LAST item in the city.  Most cities will quickly recover from your departure with a cart full of stuff.

If you want analogy, you are the child and the are the parent.  The service you provide is a legacy and meaning.  No one expects you to make and pay back what it took, just to pass it on when your time comes.

#23 2018-04-13 18:44:21

IronBear

Potjeh wrote:

Why would you need the berry bushes if you're migrating? It's not like soil usage is a concern in this situation. Wells too, you're supposed to be moving somewhere with more ponds. Wells are shit anyway. Forging full tool set isn't all that hard and horses are meh, so really the only thing of value you're leaving behind are the sheep, but they're not all that great anyway.

The reason you want berry bushes when establishing a colony is:

1) Is it takes a while to establish a farm.  You are more likely to make it if you can live off the land some.

2) Babies are precious in a colony, but there is not much to do in a new colony that is mommy friendly.  So a smart thing to do is sit among the berries getting that kid to childhood.  If you are busy with work you could lose 20 to 25% of your reproductive output to a stupid mistake by you or the baby.  And considering half your kids will be male, that means you will likely only get 2 girls to continue on the colony.

#24 2018-04-13 23:25:28

danger1penguin

I just want to make a commit here because I just participated in a migration. I was kind of excited because I had literally just read this thread. The migration wasn't to start fresh though, it was like 3rd-5th generation moving closer to swamp land (I later found swamp land in the opposite direction that was really close to the old village and this kind of ticked me off).

Anyways, it was really disorganized, and it felt like we wasted a bunch of resources in doing so that set us back a generation or two. I almost went back to the old village to start up again on my own. We moved shortly into my adulthood. The move actually discouraged me to be a productive mother and I ultimately didn't raise a single kid, but I really supported the group and started smithing stuff/making clothes. Overall, I started with negative feelings towards it, but at the end, I was more neutral. By all means, anyone could feel different about this.I just wanted to share what I felt from an early village experience.

#25 2018-04-13 23:54:52

Lucky-San

The migration makes more and more sense because of the rise of the number of players max (40->80)

But, in order to not kill the mother town, only 2 or 3 young ladies must migrate with all the tools and food they can carry. It will be more easier to coordinate (I think that 2 is the ideal number and maybe 1 male)

P-S: if the spreading of the village become a real thing, I think that somehow the people who establish a new village must be rewarded/celebrated as an eve/founder(s) of this village.
Maybe a future feature of the game... As a "home marker", we could make a "Town marker" (unique in the area).

Last edited by Lucky-San (2018-04-14 00:01:31)

sorry for my english, but you know, not everyone is british or american... I'm french by the way (the best country in the world!) wink

Board footer