One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-09 18:36:26

Don Holm

Crafting signs should be easier

The Letter system takes a lot of skewers to make them, and not a tiny amount either even for the simplest signs.

It would be okay to keep the current complexity of letters, but maybe have them be made based on an infinite resource (kinda like how fences work currently) instead of the very hard to get (especially late game and with the rift) skewers.

In terms of signs with directions, I would love to be able to make arrows for signs.

#2 2019-11-09 18:41:04

Amon

Re: Crafting signs should be easier

If a single skewer gave multiple letter stocks, I wouldn't mind the process.
It's not that hard to make letters, just too many skewers and it doesn't make sense to shave a meter long sticklett into a single '-' mark.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#3 2019-11-09 18:46:44

Potjeh

I mentioned this before, letters should actually be stencils that you can reuse, just apply paint to a sign with letters and then you can take them off and reuse them.

#4 2019-11-09 20:04:33

DestinyCall

Potjeh wrote:

I mentioned this before, letters should actually be stencils that you can reuse, just apply paint to a sign with letters and then you can take them off and reuse them.

Or stamps - dip the letter in paint and stamp it on the sign.

The current sign method is ridiculous.

#5 2019-11-09 20:41:13

Toxolotl

Jason made a response about signs a while back, i wish i could find it so i could quote it.

His main concern from what i remember was having signs everywhere cluttering the map. This doesnt seem as much of an issue since the rift has been removed imo.

Another concern was that signs could be used to write profanity. Also that players have no choice but to look at the sign compared to notes.

Its the players choice to read notes and if they contain profanity they are easily erased or can be hidden. With signs they can be locked and they are blatantly in your face with their message.

Signs are a hard thing to regulate so i think that's why the difficulty in making them is there.

I do think they could be a highly effective tool and should be easier to make but im not sure how profanity and misuse could be managed. Maybe instead of a lock you could instead have a timer on it. So once the timer runs out it can be edited.

Perhaps you could only lock it after 5 min without any edits. You could hit it with a round stone to lock it and after a certain number minutes it unlocks. That way people could edit and remove profanity easily and manage the signs without much trouble.

I like the idea of having an unlimited source for making letters much like fences. The decay and editing timers on fences do a good job and deterring abuse imo.

Let me know if you have any ideas on how signs could be managed if abuse is at play.

Last edited by Toxolotl (2019-11-09 22:46:48)

#6 2019-11-09 20:50:18

wondible

Item signs - "carrot seed", "pie", "shovel" Has some technical issues, but could perhaps be based on existing objects. No doubt people would find some way to spell out offensive things anyway, but at least it would require some creativity.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#7 2019-11-09 21:22:25

DestinyCall

If we can't be trusted to write our own signs, just let us hit a sign board with a rock to transition between a variety of useful pre-made words and/symbols.

Let us add up to four words to the sign from a short list of approved words related to OHOL.

North/south/east/west
Oil/water/iron
Town/village/camp/castle
Bear/wolf/sheep/cow
Bakery/Smithy/Nursery/Farm

"OIL WEST"
"BEAR TOWN"
"RIFT SUCKS"

We wouldn't need that many words to name our towns and convey important information.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-11-09 21:45:47)

#8 2019-11-10 00:23:49

Kaveh

I personally like making letters and just turning them into stamps would remove a lot of the effort (and to me, fun) that goes into it. Would make it much too easy for people to write down slurs or w/e and then lock the sign. Locking signs is extremely weird to me anyway, but there's probably a reason for that one. But how about needing to use something to remove letters from a sign (in a similar way to needing the rubber ball to erase paper)?

Regardless, I agree making letters is crazy heavy on resources; a word like CARROT uses up 12 skewers and 6 milkweed, so 18 water. Why can't 1 skewer turn into 2 or 3 letter stock? Or 1 letter stock into 2 or 3 hyphens? Makes much more sense size-wise anyway.
Related: Why can't you take a thread off a needle, and why can't you cut a ball of thread into multiple threads? This never made much sense to me.

Last edited by Kaveh (2019-11-10 10:58:37)

#9 2019-11-10 02:14:58

Potjeh

If signs are painted there's no need for locking, we could just repaint them.

#10 2019-11-10 23:38:57

StrongForce

Jason said he wants them to be hard
To make them special. I'd love to have cheap signs, but he decides in the end.
Getting him to spend time on a"cosmetic" item he doesn't want is gonna be real hard

Ball of threads to threads would be an awesome change
Cheaper rope would stop the milkweed grind
But I guess it would make milkweed obsolete

Last edited by StrongForce (2019-11-10 23:42:36)

Baby dance!!

#11 2019-11-11 02:22:45

DestinyCall

Millweed should obsolete.

#12 2019-11-11 02:49:38

Toxolotl

Would be cool if milkweed didnt need water or used less soil. It is a weed after all.

#13 2019-11-11 05:22:12

Kinrany

Getting him to spend time on a"cosmetic" item he doesn't want is gonna be real hard

Signs are not cosmetic.

If there were real people in the game, they'd invent sticks with baskets with pieces of paper in them, or some other equivalent of a semi-permanently anchored piece of paper.

Jason repeatedly said that he doesn't want to have a situation like in Minecraft where everything is covered in tons of useless signs. But it seems like premature optimization to me. We don't know if this will ever be a problem (and I don't think it will, given that space is valuable in OHOL and that dismantling signs is possible), but if it will, it can be fixed later.

#14 2019-11-11 11:13:43

Kaveh

StrongForce wrote:

Ball of threads to threads would be an awesome change
Cheaper rope would stop the milkweed grind
But I guess it would make milkweed obsolete

Milkweed would still be needed as long as you don't have sheep & shears. That means you'd need quite a bit of it still, since early towns need a lot of rope. I wouldn't call it obsolete at all. From the top of my head:

Hatchet: 4
Bowdrill: 4
Bow: 4
Arrow: 2
Rope to get baby sheep: 4
That's 18 mw already, at least. You may be able to find this in the wild if you explore a bit, but it may require some farming.

Then optionally:
People like to make stone hoes: 4
Deep well if it happens before having sheep: 8 (for the minimum of two buckets, possibly more)
More arrows: 2 each
Perhaps someone makes another hatchet: 4
Boxes: 4 each, 6 for slot box

Board footer