One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-06 21:41:10

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Coming Soon: Boundless World 2.0

Why:

1. To apply all the improvements and discoveries made through the rift and arc experiment to a boundless world.

2. To re-introduce parallel timeline variety to the various villages in the world.

3. To bolster the "every life is different" promise.

4. To put long-term persistence of player-built structures back into player's hands.

5. To allow for the possibility of truly ancient places and structures.

6. To make survival of family and offspring at all costs a logically consistent goal, in conjunction with the new importance of genetic fitness scores.

7. To transition away from collective, server-wide arcs, which are too abstract, and focus on individual family arcs.

8. To reward the players with the highest fitness scores with special power and responsibility.

What:

• No more rift barrier

• No more arc end conditions

• No more Eve window

• Tarry spots and spring heads on grid lines world-wide

• A persistent Eve "moving grid" pattern, like this:
    48HSIcX.png

• Eve spawning much more rare than before, for a much slower-growing expansion into the wilderness and away from older villages

How:

• Baby distribution keeps the changes that were added during the arc experiment (babies always sent to weakest family, girl babies forced if there are too few potentially fertile females in that family)

• No more maximum tap count for water or oil.

• Striking oil taps out nearby tarry spots in radius R

• Digging a well taps out nearby spring heads in radius R

• Jump between Eve placements in the walking grid is 2*R

• Eve only spawned in one of a few rare situations:

• If there are too few families given the player population

• If there are too few currently-fertile mothers, given the current baby population

• When we need an Eve, we wait for a player with a suitably-high genetic score to play Eve

• Eve moving grid continues endlessly and does not reset in any way during server updates

Details:

• We keep a running tally of the highest genetic score seen among the last 10 unique players to spawn, called H

• When we need an Eve, we wait for a player with genetic score >= H

• The window used to compute H is ever-changing as players spawn, even when we're actively trying to place an Eve

• 8-hour no-look culling (which allowed the old spiral to reset back to center) will be disabled.

• 7-day no-look culling, which is done only when the server restarts, will be kept in place to limit long-term database size.

Expectations:

• Resource scarcity will still happen based on locality.

• Exactly one water well and one oil well per established village

• Each family/village will go through its own independent rise and fall, resource-wise.

• Eternal survival of one family will be possible through distant resource outposts and migration.

• New villages will be clustered together on the western tip of the moving grid.

• Older villages will lie to the east.

• Boundless virgin territory will exist to the north and south.

• Transportation networks leading back to the older areas will be possible.

#2 2019-11-06 21:58:56

Saolin

Re: Coming Soon: Boundless World 2.0

Jason, I'm really excited for this! smile

#3 2019-11-06 22:19:14

Ilka

Wow great!

#4 2019-11-06 22:49:39

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

If this actually happens I'll be so happy. I'm so tired of resets

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#5 2019-11-06 22:49:54

Kinrany

Yay, I haven't been this excited since the genetic fitness update! I look forward to being able to travel east and explore the ruins :O

I hope in the future different cities will make different technological decisions based on their local circumstances. This will help with two things: make every life different by making every city unique, and make the ruins visually surprising and different from the player's home city.

How big is R?
I guess ideally the radius is just big enough that it's no longer economical to gather resources outside of it? Though that's naturally achieved by the well mechanics.

In the middle of every grid cell there will be a place for a rogue city with a new well.
Also with some coordination it will be possible to have 4x as many cities as Eves in a grid cell: cities can be placed with interval R instead of 2R.

Last edited by Kinrany (2019-11-06 22:50:16)

#6 2019-11-06 22:51:46

Coconut Fruit

Wow, that's huge big_smile
I'm just little sad that we will have only one well limit. It was very fun activity to bring water from wells, without super hurry need to advance to highest tech as fast as possible.
I would like it to be limited to 2 or max 3 wells, but one well is kinda sad to me.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#7 2019-11-06 23:09:25

Toxolotl

I love all of this except eve runs being dependent on genetic score. Genetic score counts for almost nothing and relies on having competent players as kids.

You can spend almost all your life with a new player, teaching and taking care of them but leave them for a few minutes and they die, bringing down your score. Dump a few veteran players at age three and suddenly your score goes up considerably. It's pure luck.

Refinements need to be made to genetic score evaluations before it influences any more aspects of the game. Tools slots are enough of a hindrance already. Limiting players is only going to make the experience more mundane. Either make genetic score easier and more reliable to grow or make it influenced by other factors like societal progress.

If you make a huge difference for a town or family that should count for something. It would motivate players to not just simply sit around having babies but to make strides in providing for society as well. Perhaps food and resource processing could count towards your score. Individual score would count the most and perhaps a fraction of it would be influenced by what your children and grandchildren provide.

I dont understand how your mother dying can bring down your score and the fact that anyone who dies after you die counts against your score. How could you even influence something like that? Long story short it needs to be refined before it influences any more aspects of the game, as it stands its quite broken.

Last edited by Toxolotl (2019-11-09 20:01:45)

#8 2019-11-07 01:05:13

arkajalka

Wow sounds nice.

Now maybe give also a boost to road building and we can actually see some insane stuff happen. Lets say you can make 5 tiles with one slab.

Making roads is really tedious job as  it is now.

All my grattitude towards the hard road workers that we have now. Give them some slack please. Roads have insane effect on how the game playes out:
-towns have structure
-things are more easily arranged
-points of interest can be highlighted
-encourages roaming and scavenging
-fast
-all in all overal looks

What a good road network allows is far more valuable  asset than keeping them super tedious to make.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#9 2019-11-07 01:12:12

pein

Considering the old spirals, R shouldn't be more than 600, generall a tarry spot was within 60-120 in most cases, but now with the new map and grid, it's closer.
Considering that we had the most of towns of like 12ish in the rift, but more like 6 per 700x700, I would say around 320 tiles away jumping.
It's a change and I'm happy about it, gonna see how it turns out, hope is not too generic with those patterns. Had the same issue with the wells but they turned out fine.

PS. You should check my e-mail I sent you, it was a good idea I had. Cause this system still depends on player numbers and magic R numbers.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#10 2019-11-07 02:31:40

Toxolotl

Roads are quite easy to make. Flat stones are quite plentiful if you know where to look. With a rubber tire horse cart its easy to make a long highway chain in one lifetime. It will be even easier once the rift is removed.

I find removing the tiles more of a pain. There are plenty of people who are too lazy to cut down a tree or shovel a stump or wild plant to make clean roads. Cleaning up roadways like that takes a massive toll on a pick axe. Not to mention my ocd.. uh i mean... any attempt at reformatting them.

Would be nice to see a pick axe be able to remove 50+ tiles instead of 15 or so. If anything it would be nicer to see cobbled stone be extended for floors and walls since it is far more expensive to produce, especially since tool slots have been introduced. They are harder to transport and take three different tools to produce, where as flat rock you just pick up.

Last edited by Toxolotl (2019-11-09 20:02:39)

#11 2019-11-07 03:34:00

Potjeh

Asphalt should be a byproduct of oil refining. Instead of getting a tank of kerosene and an empty tank we could get a tank of kerosene and a tank of asphalt. And then one tank of asphalt makes ten tiles of road, or something like that.

#12 2019-11-07 03:35:55

fug

Potjeh wrote:

Asphalt should be a byproduct of oil refining. Instead of getting a tank of kerosene and an empty tank we could get a tank of kerosene and a tank of asphalt. And then one tank of asphalt makes ten tiles of road, or something like that.

Average tarry spots gives 10 tanks atm which gives you 100 road tiles. You could likely buff this if you really wanted to see roads connect old and new towns.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#13 2019-11-07 03:41:05

Toxolotl

Potjeh wrote:

I really like this idea. Maybe a bit more of a speed boost over stone roads. Perhaps they decay as well if people dont tred upon them for 24 hours. Since asphalt is quite soft, to make up for that speed boost. Cool idea, i think something similar has been mentioned before. A good way to encourage road building.

#14 2019-11-07 04:09:45

Jojigirl

Very excited for this update!! I am loving everything I read! big_smile

Last edited by Jojigirl (2019-11-07 04:12:08)

#15 2019-11-07 07:29:22

miskas

Update Brought to you by the Rift, Thank you Rift and farewell.

Will we need a bigger Cursing Radius/multiplier?

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#16 2019-11-07 07:32:28

Gogo
Banned

So now is the time to do crazy shit in this arc, because it's probably the last one? I'll do my best then. smile

#17 2019-11-07 08:18:04

CatX

I love this smile

Toxolotl wrote:

I love all of this except eve runs being dependent on genetic score. Genetic score counts for almost nothing and relies on having competent players as kids. You can spend almost all your life with a new player, teaching and taking care of them but leave them for a few minutes and they die, bringing down your score. Dump a few veteran players at age three and suddenly your score goes up considerably. It's pure luck.

Toxolotl, the maths behind genetic scores changed:

jasonrohrer wrote:

The jumpiness of genetic scores has been reduced by around 4x.  This makes it harder to climb to the top, but easier to stay there once you get there.  After around 100 offspring have been factored in, your genetic score very closely approximates the average lifepan off you and all your offspring, and players of different offspring-preservation proficiency are cleanly differentiated by score (before, the scores were so jumpy that there was a lot of score overlap between players at different proficiency levels).  Mothers and grandmothers now count toward your own genetic score, closing the matricide genetic score exploit.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 934#p77934

#18 2019-11-07 08:39:08

Toxolotl

CatX wrote:

Toxolotl, the maths behind genetic scores changed:

I know it has changed. It's not as easy to spike or drop but it still needs some refinement in terms of consistency. Since the change i havent spiked or dropped in score like i had but i also havent changed much in score at all.

It still feels quite flip floppy to me. With the old system i had gone from 700th place to 1st in about a day. Was i trying to improve my score then, no, i was building roads and dumping my kids back at town when i had them (Sorry kids).

New system seems a lot more stable in those regards but it still seems quite luck driven. I dont think /die babies should count against the moms score at all or any death out of their control or influence.

Last edited by Toxolotl (2019-11-09 20:03:22)

#19 2019-11-07 10:04:36

miskas

Toxolotl wrote:

. I dont think /die babies should count against the moms score at all or any death out of their control or influence.

Toxolotl /die bbs don't count towards gene score.

Currently I grind genes and I only go Up. yes, it is slow but I only go up. So as long as I try I get rewarded.

Last edited by miskas (2019-11-07 10:06:05)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#20 2019-11-07 10:24:49

Toxolotl

Good to hear, just learned about the sid baby thing. Very pleased about that.

Last edited by Toxolotl (2019-11-07 10:28:12)

#21 2019-11-07 10:47:54

Twisted

miskas wrote:

Currently I grind genes and I only go Up. yes, it is slow but I only go up. So as long as I try I get rewarded.

I've been taking decent care of my family and I went up as well, despite having to kill one of my sisters and getting abandoned as a baby once. Those instances lost me points, yes, but they are overshadowed by the gain. I think the new gene score formula is much better that the old one. It is slow, but that's fine as it's a snapshot of your general family life span instead of a reflection of your last three lives.

#22 2019-11-07 14:04:31

Amon

Good overview. Now I wonder how well we will fare in this environment.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#23 2019-11-07 15:58:46

PeebleCreek

Oh my lord I will fucking cry, I'm so excited! I've only ever been able to experience like a week of a rift-less world and I've been starving for that life to come back one day!

I always name my first daughter Amala, and my first son Damen.

#24 2019-11-07 16:03:05

Gogo
Banned

Toxolotl wrote:

Genetic score counts for almost nothing and relies on having competent players as kids. You can spend almost all your life with a new player, teaching and taking care of them but leave them for a few minutes and they die, bringing down your score.

How about assign best players to best moms, everything based on genetic score? This will naturally distribute players to similar playing people.

#25 2019-11-07 16:04:44

DestinyCall

Gogo wrote:

How about assign best players to best moms, everything based on genetic score? This will naturally distribute players to similar playing people.

So the rich get richer and the poor stay poor?    Kinda harsh.   

But I guess that's realistic at least.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-11-07 16:06:00)

Board footer