One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-18 20:12:24

Spoonwood

Diesel Engines Oil Rigs

Did anyone learn how to do a diesel engine or an oil rig using Jason's in game system?  Or has everyone used external resources like OneTech, the Wiki, a YouTube video, a Twitch stream, or by reading the code/having some program to help read the code?

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-10-18 20:14:01)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2019-10-18 20:30:18

Jk Howling

Re: Diesel Engines Oil Rigs

I essentially learned from a post from you on the forums lmao. Never got around to attempting to build an engine, but I did drill for oil for the first time following your instructions. Made it a lot easier than figuring it out on onetech when put into steps.

Still have it bookmarked in case I ever pick the game up again, actually.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 764#p65764

-Has ascended to better games-

#3 2019-10-18 20:31:52

DestinyCall

I am pretty sure it isn't really practical to learn any of the multi-purpose engine receipes in-game, because you cannot see the next step until the engine is firing.    So by the time you know what to do next, you've alreasy wasted a full bucket of water and a basket of charcoal. 

I tried to make a loom from scratch in-game, but I gave up after I realized there was no way to find the next step without wasting a bunch of time and resources.    Plus, I kept hitting snags, because the loom requires special tools that I had to make myself before I could make all the parts.  Apparently they aren't used for much other than making loom, which is a one-time only thing, or making airplane which is never done anymore.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-10-18 22:15:25)

#4 2019-10-18 20:33:48

Spoonwood

Glad I could help Jk!

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#5 2019-10-18 21:54:36

Saolin

I mostly learned how to construct the oil rig from the tool tips in-game (after someone taught me what a pump valve is, anyway). One of the few things I learned to do from the tool tips. Most of the complicated things require combining two partially constructed pieces though, so in a lot of cases you hit a dead end half way through if just following the tool tips. Haven't played much with the new hint system yet, so not sure if it helps.

Last edited by Saolin (2019-10-18 21:57:07)

#6 2019-10-18 23:11:13

pein

milkweed has his search system in a format of ":search" i typed accydeantally ":/search" which is the internal system
i needed a fire bow and i thought i search on it instead of looking around

actually some griefer hidden one to top right corner and someone else brought another in a basket, it was still on the parked horse

anyway, made a new before finding those, and the internal system kept popping up even if i made one, probably cause i did in reverse order or something, but it's rather annoying than helping, that i had arrows pointing to every curved shaft even after

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#7 2019-10-18 23:21:15

sigmen4020

I learned diesel and oil through onetech playing on lionons old practice server, which had hunger disabled, fairly recently after said updates were released. It’s a while ago but I remember also learning how to make a radio and airplane on that server. Just shows that the tech tree hasn’t really advanced a lot since then. Fun thing is that I learned the advanced tech before I ever thought of using zoom mods. There was quite a long period where I stubbornly stuck to vanilla, until one of my friends recommended zoom mods to me. Can’t imagine going back now.

This is unrelated but I have actually learned some stuff from just using tool tips. I learned how to make stew, rubber and compost just by using the in game tool tips. I’m unsure how it works now, but back then I never really found the search function of the tool tips very helpful. I always just used the list you get for the current you hold or have clicked on. I’ve even used that function kinda recently to learn how to do stuff in 2HOL.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2019-10-18 23:22:17)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#8 2019-10-19 00:10:23

Saolin

sigmen4020 wrote:

I have actually learned some stuff from just using tool tips. I learned how to make stew, rubber and compost just by using the in game tool tips. I’m unsure how it works now, but back then I never really found the search function of the tool tips very helpful. I always just used the list you get for the current you hold or have clicked on.

I learned rubber and partially stew from the tool tips as well.  On my first day I had a great Mom teach me every step of compost (i was really startled when the sheep immediately grew after i fed it). She asked me if I knew about yum-chaining and I said that I did, but later she caught me eating some berries and directed me to the kitchen where I could collect a pie. She started teaching me stew when i had my last baby in my arms, but died during the early steps of beans.  I felt really sad after she died and ran around for a while until i settled on trying to make as many batches of compost as i could before i died (i think i made two).  She might have been the reason I continued to play after that day.  Earlier i had spent an entire life struggling to grow a single row of carrots, which had me feeling really useless, using only the tool tips.

New players don't know what things are at first, making the already difficult to use tool-tips even more challenging.

Last edited by Saolin (2019-10-19 01:39:43)

#9 2019-10-19 03:19:33

wondible

I learned in-game, but on a private server. I might have seen some bits and pieces in other games or streams, but had to feel my way through most of it with the hint system.

Doing it on the public servers - even if you know what you are doing - kind of requires getting born in a golden moment where the resources are available and nobody else is already doing it.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#10 2019-10-19 03:34:39

DestinyCall

wondible wrote:

Doing it on the public servers - even if you know what you are doing - kind of requires getting born in a golden moment where the resources are available and nobody else is already doing it.

This has been my experience.   Most of the time, when I'm in a town that needs oil, we lack the time and resources for someone like me to try to fumble through the motions.   One mistake would doom the whole town.   

Even when everything is perfect and we have plenty of time/iron/tools/etc ... I am still very intimidated and not confident that I can do enough in a single life to matter.   Plus, I don't want to get in the way if someone who actually knows their stuff shows up during my life.

Board footer