One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-14 22:04:43

wondible

One Dream

Warning: Crazy Impractical idea, maybe it will inspire something more useful

I decided to go ahead and post it in response to another thread, which is getting pretty far from it's original topic.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Regarding those who say "Who has time to talk in the game?"  Or if you think talk is unnecessary....  I agree that it is NOT necessary or optimal currently to communicate with others.  My goal is to change that.  My goal is to make group survival a real thing, and cooperation necessary to achieve that.

Problem: conversations take years, walking across town to see what is going on takes months.

Nobody lives together, and traveling home on a regular basis (which we would do to sleep) is impractical. Even if they go to similar places to eat, it doesn't take time, and they don't tend to go there at the same time. (I also think populations are a bit small for roles like leader or news)

Every so often - once a minute is probably too much - we go to sleep. Walking to beds is impractical, so people sleep where they are; time pauses so nothing is lost (except a life lasting one hour) The screen goes dark, and in the dark voices appear.

"WEST DEEP WELL IS OUT OF WATER"
"HOE BROKE"
"PIES ALMOST READY TO BAKE"
"JOHN BOOTS HAS BEEN GATHERING ARROWS"
"THERE IS A BEAR"
"WHERE"
"TO THE WEST"
"I WAS OUT WEST, DIDN'T SEE A BEAR"
"LOST SQUASH, NEED NEW SEEDS"
"DO WE HAVE A SHOVEL?"
"I WAS DIGGING ROCKS TO THE SOUTH"

Who's voices? Maybe it's distance. Families can spread out, and several families may live in a town. Perhaps a town monument joins a people. But maybe far away travelers should be out of touch a bit.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#2 2019-10-14 22:33:21

miskas

Re: One Dream

how I am imagining this could work.

1st Names after every sentence.
2. No pauses
3. To speak to the people you use a command ( maybe this > )
4. When you use it, a speech bubble appears to anyone in range and it appears on the edge of the screen the speaker is located in relation to the reader.
5. personal responses available ( > and name) if you press >ja and you don't complete all the name it will speak to all names starting with ja. So Jason will see it but also James if he exists.

Bonus. A History chat layout would be useful in case you missed something. ESC could be used or Ctrl
also, a Block command to stop spammers if you want

Last edited by miskas (2019-10-14 22:39:40)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#3 2019-10-14 23:02:31

DestinyCall

wondible wrote:

Who's voices? Maybe it's distance. Families can spread out, and several families may live in a town. Perhaps a town monument joins a people. But maybe far away travelers should be out of touch a bit.

Are these voices of people talking in the game around the village ... or are these words written by other dreamers?

I think it would be good if you fall asleep about once every fifteen minutes.    Then you would sleep three in your life (four times if you count death as the "big sleep").    And each time you are asleep for about thirty seconds.   During that time you could read messages from previous dreamers ... and write your own messages (limited by your current age-based text limit).  Maybe the number of messages you can leave would also be limited so the first time you dream, you can leave one short message, then two medium length messages, etc. 

Some of what gets left behind would be junk.  Some it would be useful.  Some of it would be confusing or potentially useful but hard to apply in the waking world.   

I really like this idea.  I think it would be fun and surreal to try to interpret your dreams and make use of the shared information.    It would let you stay connected with your family and provide useful information to the next generation before you die.

I think it should be limited to your family/lineage and restricted by time, but not limited by distance.   Older messages would eventually get lost, replaced by newer ones.   

And when your family dies off .. your dreams become quiet and empty.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-10-15 03:55:08)

#4 2019-10-15 11:15:29

Kinrany

This is crazy and great.

The chance to hear someone's thought could be logarithmic, so that sometimes you hear even people from other villages, but you can't really communicate with them.

#5 2019-10-15 11:25:30

Kinrany

It's interesting. I'm tempted to ask Jason to just give us the tools we want and then make them sufficiently hard to use that the game is still interesting. But it only works well with crafting. It doesn't work with information technology at all, because with good IT communication problems would just disappear.

#6 2019-10-15 12:27:46

Psykout

This is a really unique and interesting way to give us a little more time in a life to communicate. Personally I thought the "One Hour per life" was crazy interesting at first, but it definitely has some drawbacks when it comes to long term planning and communication. I like the monument idea, I actually proposed having a massive monument being built being a positive end situation to an arc, building smaller ones earlier on for this reason would fit super nicely.

#7 2019-10-15 15:27:27

StrongForce

If we had a voice chat on the ohol discord for every family we could talk and work at the same time

Baby dance!!

#8 2019-10-15 16:22:15

pein

wondible wrote:

The screen goes dark, and in the dark voices appear.

"HOE BROKE"
"THERE IS A BEAR"
"WHERE"
"TO THE WEST"
"DO WE HAVE A SHOVEL?"

It would sound more like:
"YOU ARE GAY"
"NO U"
"UGLY"
"NEED MORE BERI"
"ANASTASIA YOU DIED SO EARLY, AT AGE ONE I LOVE YOU SO MUCH"
"THANKS FOR SAVING ME I BURY YOU IN MIDDLE OF THE CITY"
"THAT IS MY SKIRT I GONNA KILL YOU IN TWENTY MINUTES"
"HE IS A GRIEFER FOR NOT GIVING ME EVERYTHING FOR FREE"
"CURSE YOU PHILLIPINA FOR TAKING MY STONE HOE"
"DON'T NAME MY BABIES"
"WHO WANTS TO JOIN MY CULT"
"NO WATER, I GO SUICIDE"
"KILL ALL BOIZ"

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#9 2019-10-15 16:24:52

Averest

^ This is closer to what I imagine.

#10 2019-10-15 16:39:22

MultiLife

pein wrote:
wondible wrote:

"HOE BROKE"
"THERE IS A BEAR"
"WHERE"
"TO THE WEST"
"DO WE HAVE A SHOVEL?"

"YOU ARE GAY"
"NO U"
"UGLY"
"NEED MORE BERI"
"DON'T NAME MY BABIES"
"NO WATER, I GO SUICIDE"
"KILL ALL BOIZ"

Yep, and then we want ways to skip sleep mode or find ways to get rid of it. big_smile

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#11 2019-10-15 17:23:07

DestinyCall

MultiLife wrote:

Yep, and then we want ways to skip sleep mode or find ways to get rid of it. big_smile

Solution - add coffee plants to jungle.

#12 2019-10-15 17:24:16

WalrusesConquer

Maybe a bed would skip that

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#13 2019-10-15 20:32:51

Spoonwood

pein wrote:
wondible wrote:

"HOE BROKE"
"THERE IS A BEAR"
"WHERE"
"TO THE WEST"
"DO WE HAVE A SHOVEL?"

"YOU ARE GAY"
"NO U"
"UGLY"
"NEED MORE BERI"
"DON'T NAME MY BABIES"
"NO WATER, I GO SUICIDE"
"KILL ALL BOIZ"

Yea, there's no good reason to suppose that communication would be of the useful type, when plenty of it hasn't been that way in game.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#14 2019-10-15 22:14:40

StrongForce

Put the name of the writer behind the text and they will behave

Baby dance!!

#15 2019-10-16 03:24:14

wondible

Yeah, names would likely be there  - you'd recognize voices if you really talking to them right?

Other chatter would also be there. I don't pay much attention to the RP stuff, so I wasn't comfortable making some up. Probably also warmongering, racism, and other uncivilized behavior. Perhaps cursing someone should mute them in your dreams.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

Board footer