One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-01 00:30:32

Coconut Fruit

Naming your kids

I really loved the idea of freedom of naming kids. Why has it changed?

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#2 2019-10-01 00:39:27

Coconut Fruit

Re: Naming your kids

Someone just named me "Lady" and my name turned out to be "laekyn". So annoying...

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#3 2019-10-01 01:57:00

Anhigen

Names have to be unique. For tracking and command purposes. If your name isn't unique, within the last two hours, a similar name will be generated for you from a list. Additionally, and more importantly, the name has to be on THIS LIST in order for to be accepted in the first place... for... understandable reasons. If the name isn't on the list, a similar name will be chosen.

More info can be found here.

Everyone talks about how great milk is, no one talks about how many bb cows you must let die...

#4 2019-10-01 01:58:57

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Lady is a valid first name.

However, you have to pick a unique name for your BB that hasn't been used by your family in the last 2 hours.

This ensures that everyone is uniquely curesable by name.  It also avoids duplication and confusion in the family tree.

There was another Lady Troller within the last two hours.

#5 2019-10-01 03:06:12

Coconut Fruit

And why does this list exist in first place? There are better ways of dealing with already choosen names... Just show a message to both players that "This name is already taken in this family, try another name" instead of random shit names that are coming after unsuccessful naming. I think people care much less or not at all about names, they don't check how other people are named only because of this bs list and random naming.
It's sad I get so weird ulgy names so often. I loved the concept with freedom of naming.

Anhigen wrote:

the name has to be on THIS LIST in order for to be accepted in the first place... for... understandable reasons.

I don't see any understandable reasons behind this. If someone names you "d**k" then just curse him. People would rarery name bad because they would be affraid of getting cursed.
Cursing someone with long hard name like "ililillilllliilil"? There is also simple solution for that. Write "/curse" and click the person you want to curse and automatically his name would be added to your text, then just click enter. Easy to implement. This should be done anyway despite if list stays or not - kids should be able to curse too.

If you made a pool I'm sure over 90% people would vote to have total freedom of naming. It's just brilliant concept in game like this that has been removed for idk what reasons.

Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#6 2019-10-01 03:27:33

Anhigen

Coconut Fruit wrote:

I don't see any understandable reasons behind this.

No one is going to name me n****r.

Straight up tho, I'm not going to sit and come up with 14 error names--like a bad username choice--up to 6 or 7 times each time I play a mom because "total naming freedom is just so bad ass". If you wanted to name someone "Lucy" and it's taken, there's 5 names--LUCYANA, LUCYANN, LUCYANNA, LUCYMAE, LUCYNA--with Lucy in it and I think that works for almost all players, present company excluded... obviously.

I get that bigotry doesn't play a big part of your life, but let me tell you, it's real nice NEVER having to be named something pejorative. Why not just buy into the slight variation in names being a family spelling, unique to your lil tribe, and move on with the game? The system that we have BARELY prevents griefing as is. Just look at the most recent batch of Family Names and you'll see that were just inches away from worst case scenario already. There's more than 30 000 names on that list--none of them hate speech--so that's pretty flippin free to me. What's your soap box, guy?

jasonrohrer wrote:

I was 117 seconds too slow to be a first responder...

Last edited by Anhigen (2019-10-01 03:33:03)

Everyone talks about how great milk is, no one talks about how many bb cows you must let die...

#7 2019-10-01 03:43:49

Coconut Fruit

Anhigen wrote:

We could ban some bad words sad

Anhigen wrote:

Straight up tho, I'm not going to sit and come up with 14 error names--like a bad username choice--up to 6 or 7 times each time I play a mom because "total naming freedom is just so bad ass".

Come on, it wouldn't be that bad. I doubt you would't pick a valid name in 3 tries... The list could stay for lazy people, maybe an option in settings what to do if a name is taken.
Come on, freedom of naming would be so cool sad

Last edited by Coconut Fruit (2019-10-01 03:47:55)

Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#8 2019-10-01 04:06:46

fug

Coconut Fruit wrote:
Anhigen wrote:

Straight up tho, I'm not going to sit and come up with 14 error names--like a bad username choice--up to 6 or 7 times each time I play a mom because "total naming freedom is just so bad ass".

Come on, it wouldn't be that bad. I doubt you would't pick a valid name in 3 tries... The list could stay for lazy people, maybe an option in settings what to do if a name is taken.

The naming list is generally fine. Sure it could be expanded by adding more valid names into it but full freedom would devolve into stuff like Nigger Nigger, XxBlazeItxX WeedDudeLmao, and stuff like that. I understand how you can want freeform but I'd rather him just grab another name list to expand the name pool (there's like 11000+ different names to choose from, I'm sure we're still at the point certain names haven't ever been given out in game. Not even counting last names either.)

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#9 2019-10-01 05:05:29

Coconut Fruit

Another life. Someone named me snorri, my name turned out to be "snow". Yeah, snow isn't bad name, but what's the point of naming if you get random name in most cases...

Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#10 2019-10-01 10:39:08

sigmen4020

Coconut Fruit wrote:
Anhigen wrote:

We could ban some bad words sad

Anhigen wrote:

Outside of cursing reasons, complete naming freedom would result in a lot of username like names (fug mentioned a few examples of this), and some people might give some downright nonsensical name. The way it is now is better than complete name freedom.

I’d rather not live in towns with gygvjgfn hhdbjhfv. How would you address that. Going by a blacklist instead of a whitelist when it comes to names would make such a name completely valid (how would you ban nonsensical names with a blacklist?).

I wouldn’t be against adding more names to the list tho, but full naming freedom would be a mistake.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2019-10-01 10:39:52)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#11 2019-10-01 10:44:35

Amon

Having the name list expanded to include a lot of different cultures would be really great.

Also a moment of silence for all the children named Vahn. It's really a blessing that we don't have to deal with stupid, offensive, racist names at all. But expanding on the list to include namelists includic say, Japanese, Nordic, Zulu...
However i think it's good to make a list of lesser known and lesser used names instead and use those instead, you'll likely never run into the same name problem that way.

Last edited by Amon (2019-10-01 10:46:06)

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#12 2019-10-01 12:56:18

BlueDiamondAvatar

Coconut,

Come on yourself, it's not that bad to have a slightly weird name.  It's also part of the game... pick names you like that no one else will have used recently.  Lady may not be that common in real life, but it's pretty common in OHOL.  Just be more creative than naming all your girls Princess.

The naming system in place works for 95% of players.  Jason is a one-man dev team.  He has a lot of other things to work on.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#13 2019-10-01 13:56:33

Coconut Fruit

I just wanted to be "snorri" if that was my mom's wish. It feels weird if she had to call me "snow" after naming me "snorri". Seems like you are against naming freedom, so I give up. I'm little sad but I can deal with it. sad

Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#14 2019-10-01 15:17:56

Twisted

If there was no name list people would just name their babies Iahdjafg or Ohznbry. And that would be dumb.

Also, manually filtering out all offensive names is literally impossible.

The current system works great imo.

#15 2019-10-01 15:36:02

sigmen4020

Twisted wrote:

If there was no name list people would just name their babies Iahdjafg or Ohznbry. And that would be dumb.

Also, manually filtering out all offensive names is literally impossible.

The current system works great imo.

Exactly. Filtrering all the nonsensical and offensive names would be an impossible task, and a lot of people would end up with nonsensical names. It wouldn't feel right to address someone named bjjdskd. It would take you right out of the experience. I like that names make sense.

Would love new name additions to the list though.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2019-10-01 15:38:49)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#16 2019-10-01 17:12:43

Grim_Arbiter

I personally love the list.

Ive found favorite names on accident by trying to name them something that wasn't on the list (like rune and delton)

My only gripe with the name list is that the name "helga" isn't on there. I think the list is actually taken from the census (I could be wrong) and I'm just surprised NOBODY named a kid helga.. but somehow somebody named a kid Helios?

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#17 2019-10-01 18:24:12

jasonrohrer
Administrator

You want to try to come up with a blacklist that covers all possible cases?  Dickhead, dikhed, dichede, dichead, diiiccckkkheeaddd, etc.

Unrealistic names are immersion-breaking.

The whitelist for possible names, which includes 30,000 first names and 86,000 last names, is one of the most elegant and comprehensive solutions to the diiiccckkkheeaddd problem ever invented.

And the list, which comes from every living person in the US (a nation of global immigrants) in 2016, is extremely diverse.  As an example, there are 211 names that start with AA alone:

AABAN
AABHA
AABID
AABIR
AABRIELLA
AADAM
AADARSH
AADEN
AADHAV
AADHAVAN
AADHI
AADHIRA
AADHVIK
AADHVIKA
AADHYA
AADI
AADIL
AADISH
AADIT
AADITH
AADITHYA
AADITRI
AADITYA
AADON
AADRIT
AADRITI
AADVI
AADVIK
AADVIKA
AADYA
AADYN
AAFIYA
AAFIYAH
AAGAM
AAGNA
AAHAAN
AAHAN
AAHANA
AAHIL
AAIDEN
AAIDYN
AAILA
AAILYAH
AAIMA
AAIRA
AAIRAH
AAISHA
AAKANKSHA
AAKASH
AAKRITI
AALA
AALAIYAH
AALANI
AALAYA
AALAYAH
AALAYIAH
AALAYSIA
AALEAH
AALEAYAH
AALEEYAH
AALEIGHA
AALEIYAH
AALEYAH
AALIA
AALIAH
AALIANA
AALIJAH
AALINA
AALIYA
AALIYAH
AALIYAHROSE
AALIYAN
AALIYANA
AALIYIAH
AALONI
AALYAH
AALYIAH
AALYSSA
AAMANEE
AAMANI
AAMARI
AAMER
AAMILAH
AAMINA
AAMINAH
AAMIR
AAMIRA
AAMIRAH
AAMIYA
AAMIYAH
AAMNA
AAMORA
AAMORI
AAMYAH
AANAV
AANAY
AANAYA
AANIA
AANIKA
AANIYA
AANIYAH
AANSHI
AANVI
AANYA
AAQIL
AARA
AARADHANA
AARADHYA
AARAF
AARALYN
AARALYNN
AARAN
AARAV
AARAVI
AARAVREDDY
AAREN
AARI
AARIA
AARIAH
AARIAN
AARIANA
AARIANNA
AARIB
AARIC
AARIEL
AARIELLA
AARIELLE
AARIK
AARIKA
AARILYN
AARILYNN
AARIN
AARINI
AARION
AARIONA
AARIS
AARISH
AARIT
AARIV
AARIYA
AARIYAH
AARIYANA
AARIZ
AARJAV
AARNA
AARNAV
AARNAVI
AARO
AAROHI
AAROLYN
AARON
AARRON
AARSH
AARSHI
AARUHI
AARUSH
AARUSHI
AARVI
AARYA
AARYAH
AARYAHI
AARYAN
AARYANA
AARYANNA
AARYAV
AARYN
AARYNN
AASEEM
AASER
AASHA
AASHI
AASHIKA
AASHIR
AASHIRYA
AASHKA
AASHNA
AASHRITH
AASHRITHA
AASHVI
AASIA
AASIM
AASIR
AASIYA
AASIYAH
AASON
AASTHA
AAVA
AAVAH
AAVASH
AAVEN
AAVIN
AAVION
AAVISH
AAVYA
AAYA
AAYAAN
AAYAH
AAYAM
AAYAN
AAYANA
AAYANSH
AAYAT
AAYDEN
AAYLA
AAYLAH
AAYRA
AAYUSH
AAYUSHI
AAZEEN
AAZIL
AAZIYAH

It could be argued that the requirement for uniqueness needs to be tweaked.  The game used to add II, II, IV, V, etc. suffixes, but that itself was hard to type when cursing someone.  It was changed to a uniqueness requirement, which I think also helps with family tree confusion (and finding yourself by name in a tree search).  Now you can type "CURSE YOU" to a nearby person, and curses have a limited radius (instead of being server-wide based on name), so maybe uniqueness doesn't matter as much as it used to.

However, a bunch of sibs all named the same thing is also immersion breaking, and as it stands, the game currently challenges you stretch your brain a bit and think of a clever real name.  I like that feeling of stretching.

BTW, I could change it so that when your mother says, "YOU ARE PENIS", and then you find your name is PENELOPE by mousing over yourself..... I could auto-process her naming phrases before it is spoken to say YOU ARE PENELOPE.  That would improve immersion a bit....

HELGA has, apparently, fallen out of favor in recent times!

The list only includes names that occurred in the US more than 5 times, for privacy reason (the SS doesn't release the list of more rare names).

The last names are taken from the census bureau, and actually include all last names in the year 2000 that occurred more than 100 times.  However, that list has 150,000 names on it.  I decided to trim the list at 200 occurrences or more.  That sub-list has 86,000 names.  I'm not sure why I trimmed it like that.  Thanks to that decision, we're missing out on the last names YAGGY and VOLSKY.

I think I'll go back and add the full list now!

#18 2019-10-01 19:19:21

BladeWoods

jasonrohrer wrote:

BTW, I could change it so that when your mother says, "YOU ARE PENIS", and then you find your name is PENELOPE by mousing over yourself..... I could auto-process her naming phrases before it is spoken to say YOU ARE PENELOPE.  That would improve immersion a bit....

I love that idea.

#19 2019-10-01 19:25:08

Dodge

BladeWoods wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

I love that idea.

+1

#20 2019-10-01 19:27:47

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Jason pls add Slinky as a last name, slinker just sounds dubious

Pls I'll buy an alt account

WAIT JASON YOU TROLL LOL

Last edited by DiscardedSlinky (2019-10-02 08:33:17)

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#21 2019-10-01 19:31:39

Anhigen

BladeWoods wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

I love that idea.

Double cool in that you would get to see what the server named your kid in all situations. You might think the name was unique and while the list will generate a "similar" name, OP's example is a good case for how different that name could be--even though it's next on the list. That sounds like a nice thing to add, but personally I'm not too pressed about the issue... if I'd even call it that.

The current list is great, methinks, and any efforts for further inclusion and diversification are, obviously, awesome.

Last edited by Anhigen (2019-10-01 19:32:07)

#22 2019-10-01 20:50:34

Keyin

jasonrohrer wrote:

wouldn't this lead to things like

YOU ARE GOING TO DIE

being changed to..

YOU ARE GOKU

#23 2019-10-01 22:05:02

eajorstad

Keyin wrote:

YOU ARE GOING TO DIE

being changed to..

YOU ARE GOKU

... I see absolutely no reason why this is a bad thing... XD

#24 2019-10-01 22:39:22

Anhigen

eajorstad wrote:
Keyin wrote:

YOU ARE GOING TO DIE

being changed to..

YOU ARE GOKU

... I see absolutely no reason why this is a bad thing... XD

Lol, and no--I don't think. You would still have to name someone for this to happen.

"YOU ARE GOKU" is a result of naming someone, it's just that this task (of creating a name and altering your speech bubble) is carried out before your text is displayed--because computers are FAST FAST--and isn't checked against every "YOU ARE X" phrase uttered by the player. What's interesting is that you would find out you named someone BECAUSE your text would change. Right now, if you use one of the special phrases around someone who isn't named... someone made a recent post about 115 of these phrases, I forget who and where tho... that targeted player get's a "goku" name and you don't even realize you gave them one.

#25 2019-10-02 00:13:14

Coconut Fruit

jasonrohrer wrote:

I like it

Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

Board footer