One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-09-28 17:03:04

Coconut Fruit

Re: Posse implementation

jasonrohrer wrote:

Well, I got chased by an organized posse.  They couldn't catch me.

I would say speed up a little organized posse (or slow down a little person that is chased) and leave everything else like it is.
Tho I'm open to experiments in this case.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#27 2019-09-28 19:24:26

Saolin

I think there will be positives and negatives with this change. The positive is obvious - 1v1 killing (random stabbing) should be way down. I look forward to that aspect of this change.

My concern is with the following potential negatives:
-currently the main type of posse you'll see is an organized (outside of client) group of griefers. This change empowers them. Yes villages can gang up on them, but initiative will be a huge factor, it'll be hard to respond when a group is already systematically eliminating threats before/while they're trying to organize a response.
- this enables and strengthens groups of players banding together with the goal of ending the arc. Same problem with initiative as in the last point.  I think this point in particular will have the most significant impact on gameplay of these possible negatives.
- lone griefers can just shift their focus. Instead of randomly stabbing others, just kill all the sheep or other such nonsense. Better yet, wait in the sheep pen for someone to come so you can stab all the sheep in front of them before running off; they won't be able to catch you now.

It sounds like this change is already live.  I'll be interested to experience the change in dynamics, and I'm glad to see Jason is working on issues such as this. I do worry with this particular change that more problems are going to pop up than it resolves though. We'll see I suppose.

#28 2019-09-28 22:04:42

distillerz

Thaulos wrote:

Please no.

There is next to no situations where multiple people are available to chase a griefer. Most towns are composed mostly by newbies or people who had next to no experience with killing. This change would make it impossible for the one guy that can protect town to not be able to do so.

Group advantage should be a supportive thing, in the forms of curses and pads, not magic posses.

TRUE.

Expectation: Griefer being chased by 4 people.
Reality: Griefer will lot all town, without anyone noticing a single shit.

For example, We all know that players that hide "bowl of pads"  very rare get caught.

#29 2019-09-29 12:48:36

BlueDiamondAvatar

jasonrohrer wrote:

Well, I got chased by an organized posse.  They couldn't catch me.

Nerfing twins is interesting.... maybe I should make it so that twins just cannot kill, ever?

Or at least so they don't speed up along with the posse (but they still contribute to the posse numbers... they just always run slow as part of whatever posse).  I'll do that.  It's a quick fix.

Thank you, thank you!

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#30 2019-09-29 12:56:47

Thaulos

To be fair I don't recall the last time I witnessed twin griefers. Seems to be an out of date practice nowadays.

#31 2019-09-29 21:21:45

BlueDiamondAvatar

My last pair of twins needed to be taught how to tend berries.  And I know they weren't pulling my leg, cause once they learned the basics they worked hard.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#32 2019-09-29 21:24:33

Keyin

Jason,

I personally think that rather than making groups faster it would be better to give player natural speed variation.

Think of the case of 3 elders chasing a twenty-something griefer... it makes sense that they can't catch him.

Instead, make speed vary among adults the way adults are faster than babies/toddlers.

Think about it; what are the odds that a griefer will be closer to their physical speed peak than all of the people in the posse?

If theres 3 people in the posse and they all have an equal chance to be the fastest the griefer only has a 25% chance of being the fastest.

Meaning, the group of 3 would catch the griefer 75% of the time.

Speed Capacities

Last edited by Keyin (2019-09-29 21:39:08)

#33 2019-09-30 00:42:22

Lava

Its so funny seeing Jason making changes to a game he doesn't even play. You still haven't changed the fact that engines are permanently gone after putting them into a car.  You probably haven't even played a full sixty minute life yet. Don't make changes to a game based off "speculations".  Spend one day playing your game continuedly instead of thinking you know what's wrong with the game and shit. You think your all that and ignore the people who actually play the game and their solutions.

#34 2019-09-30 03:16:41

DestinyCall

You could link movement speed with yum bonus.  Lol.

#35 2019-09-30 19:31:28

FulmenTheFinn

The effects of speed changes in relation to player figures in the vicinity remain to be seen, but the following I don't agree with at all:

Twins/trips/quads don't get curse tokens to spend.

A fair chunk of my circa 1k hours of OHOL are from playing as quads. I love teamplay, and one of the most effective methods of eliminating griefers in this game I have found is coordinated teamplay, which includes mass-cursing. Yes, mass-cursing can also be a problem, but this is not the way to solve it.

Eve Whiskey, i.e. "Whisler".

Add zoom and hotkeys to the base game (see Hetuw mod) to improve the popularity of the game.

#36 2019-09-30 19:35:03

fug

FulmenTheFinn wrote:

The effects of speed changes in relation to player figures in the vicinity remain to be seen, but the following I don't agree with at all:

A fair chunk of my circa 1k hours of OHOL are from playing as quads. I love teamplay, and one of the most effective methods of eliminating griefers in this game I have found is coordinated teamplay, which includes mass-cursing. Yes, mass-cursing can also be a problem, but this is not the way to solve it.

Going to disagree. The ability to instantly give someone up to a 400 curse radius is way too strong for anyone to easily abuse in a quad group. It's much better to lean safely than to make it so you can potentially boost two peoples an hour curse score by 4.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#37 2019-09-30 20:07:50

FulmenTheFinn

fug wrote:
FulmenTheFinn wrote:

Going to disagree. The ability to instantly give someone up to a 400 curse radius is way too strong for anyone to easily abuse in a quad group. It's much better to lean safely than to make it so you can potentially boost two peoples an hour curse score by 4.

Playing as quads is already punishing enough with the current life system (and score system, if you care about that). Why needlessly further punish people who enjoy playing with others? Last I checked, there was no epidemic of group griefers sending people to donkey town. Conversely, probably a third or fourth of the hundreds of lives I've played while quadding, there's been at least one griefer I and my twins had to deal with.

Eve Whiskey, i.e. "Whisler".

Add zoom and hotkeys to the base game (see Hetuw mod) to improve the popularity of the game.

#38 2019-09-30 20:19:36

miskas

well, I guess 1 member of the twins-quads having his curses to spend as a solo player would still protect us from griefer abuse.

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#39 2019-09-30 20:24:23

distillerz

DestinyCall wrote:

OP. or at least give yum bonus a little bit movespeed

MS * 1.05

#40 2019-09-30 22:14:12

BlueDiamondAvatar

DestinyCall wrote:

Hmm, I yum a fair bit now, but if there was a speed bonus for how much yum you have??? OMG, I would be obsessed with yumming.

I like carting things around town to get them to places they are useful.  Movement speed is life!

--Blue Diamond

#41 2019-10-01 02:02:19

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Taking engines out of a car is on my list from last week.  I didn't have a chance to do it last week.

Be nice, Lava, please.  I'm working myself to death over here.

#42 2019-10-01 08:56:59

pein

Nah, yum is a meme, can't use memes for actual gameplay advantages
needs top cap or I won't consider it balanced, it's just annoyingly illogical to make a personal yum score matter. It supposed to increase town wide food diversity. It fails cause no top cap for it, so this dumb eat one of each food trend emerged instead of help everyone eat diverse food.

I still think combat must be skill based, allowing people to challenge others, and de-buff them if they reject it.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#43 2019-10-01 09:11:22

MrShuriken

Jason PLEASE
Do not allow engines to be stolen from cars, I and others put HOURS in cars just to get 1
If you allow people to just drive my car to another town and steal the engine to put in another well then that is dumb.
Just make it so you cant steal an engine from iron mines, that would be much better...

Furthermore, why don't we just make genetics affect base speed whilst still having a posse
this means griefers would be really slow as most don't feed babies or kill the people who affect their genes

#44 2019-10-01 09:15:38

st2019

Just an extended idea of slowing down people: What about new text like: "Hunt Adam Disney". The more people say it, the slower the guy gets if he is in a range of the people who said it. It would make griefing much harder. The guy could only sneak around people, making the people pay more attention. Players could run away easily, the Griefer would have much more trouble.

It would require a community and a suspicion (Like someone behaves strange or already killed one). So Griefers would still get chances, but the more griefing, the more complicated it gets for them. Wiping out whole villages would not be that easy any longer.

I'm an expert for: Sharp Stones

#45 2019-10-01 09:55:25

StrongForce

I love that you can outrun an attacker now
Finaly a way to avoid being stabbed by a single idiot.

Baby dance!!

#46 2019-10-01 11:07:05

schmloo

The recent changes made are really good, in my opinion. I know the attention to recent issues was needed for the rift to work, but I’d just like to show appreciation for the time taken to address griefing.

Insert OHOL-related signature here

#47 2019-10-01 12:57:00

distillerz

pein wrote:

Nah, yum is a meme, can't use memes for actual gameplay advantages
needs top cap or I won't consider it balanced, it's just annoyingly illogical to make a personal yum score matter. It supposed to increase town wide food diversity. It fails cause no top cap for it, so this dumb eat one of each food trend emerged instead of help everyone eat diverse food.

I still think combat must be skill based, allowing people to challenge others, and de-buff them if they reject it.

yum bonus these days are totally piece of cake to get x20.
Since most of the town have clothes.

#48 2019-10-01 13:30:17

Guppy

jasonrohrer wrote:

I'm working myself to death over here.

And most of us really appreciate all that hard work!

Last edited by Guppy (2019-10-01 13:30:39)

#49 2019-10-01 14:29:46

Coconut Fruit

MrShuriken wrote:

Jason PLEASE
Do not allow engines to be stolen from cars, I and others put HOURS in cars just to get 1
If you allow people to just drive my car to another town and steal the engine to put in another well then that is dumb.
Just make it so you cant steal an engine from iron mines, that would be much

People see making cars as grieffing. Cars waste like 70 bowls of water just to make 2 minutes ride which is insane. Resource and time cost to make a car is also very big.
I would agree with being unable to remove engines from cars if they didn't need fuel to ride, but they do. Just don't make cars.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#50 2019-10-01 14:47:40

MrShuriken

Coconut Fruit wrote:
MrShuriken wrote:

Jason PLEASE
Just make it so you cant steal an engine from iron mines, that would be much

People see making cars as grieffing. Cars waste like 70 bowls of water just to make 2 minutes ride which is insane. Resource and time cost to make a car is also very big.
I would agree with being unable to remove engines from cars if they didn't need fuel to ride, but they do. Just don't make cars.

Then instead of ditching car Jason should improve them, not make them cheaper to make but more cost-effective to run (5x cheaper to run, +5min time instead of 2)
Cars are essential to completing the tech tree, it's ridiculous to suggest not making them.
Carmakers are legends, not griefers

Board footer