One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-24 05:41:41

Thaulos

How I became the Meme Lord, and how you can be one too!

Screenshot-4.png

Today I have achieved what few have achieved! The true pinnacle of skill! An accomplishment far beyond all the shift clickers out there! A true testament of skill and cunning!

I have beaten the meme genetic score!

How did I fare so well with children? How did I populate the server with my offspring? How did I achieve spreading my genes far and wide?

Oh you silly naive child, by not doing any of that and cheating and subverting the system instead of course!

Here are some guidelines so you can become the meme lord as well:

• Live to 60, always!

• Saving food in your last moments? See rule above, munch on those berries all you need!

• Lots of children? Spread of genes? Forget about that, have as few children as you can! Only eat mutton pies and berries to keep your yum as low as possible! Let the other females have the children

• If anyone, not your descendant, even looks funny  at your (hopefully) only child, stab away. They don't matter.

• Oh no, you have a high score but you are no longer on the leaderboard? Fear not! Cheat your way back in by using the tutorial. It doesn't contribute to genetic fitness at all but you'll be back to the list for another 24h.

Genetic fitness is not about spreading your genes, it's about making sure the few genes you have are buff af.

Children decrease your genetic fitness, don't have them!

Remember folks, follow these simple rules and you can also be a meme lord.

Last edited by Thaulos (2019-09-24 05:47:11)

#2 2019-09-24 08:26:35

testo

Re: How I became the Meme Lord, and how you can be one too!

LMAO

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#3 2019-09-24 10:21:00

pein

Live a hermit life, possibly make a new town, invite only smart people to help you. it seems that if people don't die near you they aren't really affecting your score at all.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2019-09-24 15:50:52

sigmen4020

I was a meme lord once:
W9or5BN.png

Not anymore:
3NNSU2T.png

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#5 2019-09-24 18:20:42

jasonrohrer
Administrator

What happens when you are born as a man?

You can't /die w/out tanking your own score.

And you suddenly do have to watch out for your nieces and nephews.

I guess you could kill all of your sisters?

I think I need to expand the family that counts to include some other closely related members.  Like mother and siblings, at least.

Also, I will close that tutorial loophole.

#6 2019-09-24 18:29:09

Thaulos

The current genetic fitness just seems not to represent anything useful.

A "gene" is successful if it spreads a lot. The current score de-incentivize having multiple children. Ideally you would be dependent only on yourself.

If your genes doesn't propagate, you shouldn't get more score just because you reached age 60.

A better metric could be, as an example, quantity of offspring/nieces that reach adulthood (14?), or maybe include great nieces and grandchildren as well in the mix. The more surviving children you have, the more the score goes up, the less surviving children you have the less score you have.

Last edited by Thaulos (2019-09-24 18:29:51)

#7 2019-09-24 18:36:07

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Well, everyone starts at 0, so quantity does help it go up faster.  If you don't play much, for example, you will not have a high score.

I worry that if SELF doesn't matter, we incentivize some weird behaviors, though maybe self-sacrifice is fine?  Maybe it's even more interesting.  Mother dying to keep her bb alive.

I do like how it currently disincentivizes /die babies.  Each one is "dying young" and a knock on your score.

Currently, sacrificing yourself to save two babies would make sense.  Well, and sac'ing yourself at age 30 to save a 1-y-o bb would make sense too (b/c that 1-y-o death will be a huge knock to your score compared to your 30-y-o death).

I think that in order to deal with this exploit, counting survival of mother and sibs would do it.  You could still try to not have kids, but you'd still have to pay attention and care about those around you.

#8 2019-09-24 19:06:23

Anhigen

Considering the (undue) effectiveness of yum on player's behavior, maybe marking the extra pips that good genes give you would be worthwhile. As someone who plays on vanilla I don't know how old I am or what my pips "should" be at any given stage, ever.

Last edited by Anhigen (2019-09-24 19:29:31)

Everyone talks about how great milk is, no one talks about how many bb cows you must let die...

#9 2019-09-24 19:25:47

D3mon1cblack

jasonrohrer wrote:

Well, everyone starts at 0, so quantity does help it go up faster.  If you don't play much, for example, you will not have a high score

Oh you dont get a high score when you dont play alot???? i have been hovering between spot 8 and 35 for a wile with only playing like 2 or 3 games a week. I have played like 5 games this week and my score tanked alot idk what my score is currently but its bad and yes i know i have played tons of games sinse the update got in the game but still imho playing less doesnt impact your score as playing alot does

im eve groot or eve degroot and if i dont care and spawn next to an item ill call myself eve (itemname)
420 mushroom cultist and proud of it!

#10 2019-09-24 21:15:07

jasonrohrer
Administrator

What I meant was that players who play more ascend faster.

Yes, once you get to the top, you can stay there by playing less.

But if you get knocked down, having fewer offspring on purpose will slow down how fast you climb back up.

#11 2019-09-24 23:03:19

Coconut Fruit

Instead of genetic fitness I would want to have some points for actually working and being productive. That could motivate people to work. Laziness sux tongue
Ikr, that would be tons of working and pain to implement a thing like this sad

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#12 2019-09-24 23:21:09

OminousBladeBlank

I beat your score by .8

What is an ominous blade blank?

It's that blade blank next to the file and short staff you see in a naked toddler's basket.

#13 2019-09-24 23:22:50

OminousBladeBlank

See my post for a far more comprehensive guide to being the meme lord.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7942

Last edited by OminousBladeBlank (2019-09-24 23:25:57)

What is an ominous blade blank?

It's that blade blank next to the file and short staff you see in a naked toddler's basket.

#14 2019-09-25 01:18:30

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Changes have been made:

1)  Little brothers and little sisters count to your score.  So even if you have no kids yourself, if your mom has more kids after you, you must look after them for a high score.

2)  Eve lives (tutorial or otherwise) don't count toward your score.  That was always the case.  But now they don't reset your "last action" timer either, meaning that if you've expired from the leaderboard, you can't get back on by playing the tutorial.

#15 2019-09-26 00:55:12

arkajalka

Thaulos wrote:

XD this !!!

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

Board footer