One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-18 16:13:24

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Is the new player notification working?

When your baby is a new player, you should get a message.

Has anyone witnessed this happening in the game?  Should be working.

Current new player definition:

Anyone who has lived in game < 2 hours OR lived < 5 lives.  (Tutorial time/lives doesn't count).

These params are easy to adjust.  The idea with making them a little loose is to give a new player multiple chances to get a "good" mom that will help them.

#2 2019-09-18 16:46:29

Thaulos

Re: Is the new player notification working?

I just had two kids from whom I got new player notifications. (UI was messed up but probably because I was using awbz)

They were completely new, didn't know how to tend berries, use backpack, etc. I spent quite some time with them teaching them about saying F for food, how to whistle, how to tend berries, how to make compost, how to take care of their babies. It was great having a heads up in regards to their new status. I usually ask but this way is better imo.

I also noticed someone else trying to help a new kid, they told me they also got the notification when she was born. All in all, it should help new players integrate. I've been noticing a lot of the so called berry munchers are actually just new players without a clue on what to do. This feature should help a lot with turning them from observers into actual productive and engaged members of society.

5 lives and 2 hours might be too little though. Might be helpful to have it increased to like 5 hours.

PS: a little surprised by the amount of new players we got in the town.

Last edited by Thaulos (2019-09-18 16:54:05)

#3 2019-09-18 18:48:47

arkajalka

5 lives / 2hours is nothing. In that time you prolly just learn how to eat berrys and make a basket. Would bump it waaaaaaaay up. Like say 24hours 100lives. The game can be really hard and harsh on a new player. So they really need all the support they can get to get going.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#4 2019-09-18 20:05:06

Coconut Fruit

arkajalka wrote:

Would bump it waaaaaaaay up. Like say 24hours 100lives.

That would be too long, some people learn very fast. Basically new players should learn basics which are making fire, farming, cooking and smithing. Also telling new people about onetech.info is great idea since it opens the way to learning alone.

I would increase the time to 4 or 5 hours. 2 hours may be too little since often a mother has multiple new players and in most cases you can only effectively teach only one player at once.
Removing 5 lives thing also wouldn't be bad idea. Beginning towns are the hardest part especially if there are multiple new players. New players would lose their 5 lives in minutes if they were spawned in very beginning towns.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#5 2019-09-18 20:53:39

BladeWoods

I agree on bumping it up, at least double to < 4 hours or < 10 lives.

This game is super hard for new players. I almost quit right when I started playing the game b/c I couldn't figure anything out and the in-game filter is a challenge just to figure out how to use, and not too useful either. Onetech.info is a godsave.

#6 2019-09-18 21:05:50

jasonrohrer
Administrator

It's < 2 hours OR < 5 lives.

This means that if they live 10 very short lives, they will still be seen as a new player.

But sure, I'll up it to 4 hours 10 lives.

Actually 4 hours or 5 lives is better.

I worry about someone living 8 one-hour lives and being pretty skilled at the game, but still being seen as new.

The hours is actually the safer thing to judge by, right?

#7 2019-09-18 21:32:10

sigmen4020

jasonrohrer wrote:

I would say so yeah. Lives tend to last shortly in the beginning, so it's probably best to judge "newness" according to hours rather than lives imo.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#8 2019-09-18 21:32:45

Grim_Arbiter

jasonrohrer wrote:

I worry about someone living 8 one-hour lives and being pretty skilled at the game, but still being seen as new.

I wouldn't worry too much. I think 8 full lives would still place you starting the 9th with things to be taught.

I doubt anyone would know to how to build structures, master farming, learn all the clothing and how to make it, or learn smithing and making tech.. all in 8 hours.

If I had to remember where I was at 8 hours, I probably hadn't even smithed or cooked anything yet.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#9 2019-09-18 21:46:41

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

I haven't seen it myself but my Mom said "I know that you're new, I'll help you learn" to my brother

So It has to be working

Last edited by DiscardedSlinky (2019-09-18 21:52:02)

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#10 2019-09-18 22:07:07

Melea

Got the new player notification for one of my kids last life, and they confirmed they were new. Seems to be working fine.

#11 2019-09-18 22:19:06

arkajalka

jasonrohrer wrote:

It's < 2 hours OR < 5 lives.

This means that if they live 10 very short lives, they will still be seen as a new player.

But sure, I'll up it to 4 hours 10 lives.

Actually 4 hours or 5 lives is better.

Yap hours is better way to determine the "newness". Player with hundreds of hours can still die several times when being born just cause of neglect mommas.

Whats the worry on seeing people as "new". Actually it works quite the opposite. I can tolerated idiotic behaviour from people tagged as "new" and help them leanr things. Without new tag some of the newby behaviour looks exactly like grieffing and with the current state you have to insta stabby stab those people before they do that to you. New tag would differentiate noobs from griefers.

It's just a positive suprise if the dude jumps instant on the forge and starts to hammer some complex stuff. Ofc skillgap between new players varyes a lot. Some people watch videos/guides/etc before comming into the game and are actually like 20+hours knowledge before even playing a life. Imo the new player notification is just to help out the totally new players who are having hard time in just staying aliwe at the berry fields MUNS MUNS.

The stuff in this game takes ages to learn from scratch. Think i lived dozens of lives living simple famrer/gatherer life before even trying to jump on the forge stuff (just to not f up  the rare iron for ppl) and back in the age of the carrot the stuff wasnt even that complicated XD.

Last edited by arkajalka (2019-09-18 22:23:34)

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#12 2019-09-19 00:10:21

DestinyCall

Thinking back to my own early days, hours lived in-game is a much more practical measure than total lives.   I died a LOT before I got good at staying properly clothed and running for food immediately when the hunger bell rang.   That being said, I managed to live to sixty during my very first session - not my first life, but before I logged out for the night - thanks to a kind uncle who taught me to tend the berry patch.   I spent most of my life in that berry patch and left knowing how to stay alive while contributing to the village a little bit.   It was a good life.   Much better than the previous five that lasted maybe ten minutes total if you added them all together.

I think somewhere in the 5 to 10 hour range would be ideal.   Beyond that point, getting told how to bake pies and make compost by every decent mom is going to get really old.   Best to focus attention on the ones that need it most.   It will help to establish mother-child teaching in the most critical time period for a new player.

#13 2019-09-19 01:06:08

Morti

Before my first minute of this game, I knew (more importantly, did, in the way of planning) more than most of the people who were playing it.

I watched Justice and Honor videos, wrote the recipes out for all the basic tools and roughly calculated food consumption based on J&H's temp meter, which I later refined by my own personal tests in game.

Twisted and Drae, and everyone else, were bumbling buffoons at the time, and still are, but that's okay, they're jesters for entertainment, not educators, and certainly not workhorses. Their videos made it clear they did not have the same level of motivation to not only keep themselves alive, but to ensure their families, their children's children, had a better shot at survival, after they passed.

This video was perhaps the one that sealed the deal for me One Hour One Life. How to be useful 101. Rebuilding an old village. No commentary. 3,863 views•Published on Mar 16, 2018

But even Justice and Honor made mistakes.

I planned to do even better. I realized a lot more about the game (from watching his videos, reading forum posts and picking up on patterns) than even he did. Though I couldn't have done it without him. He gave me the knowledge, and the rest of the idiots on Twitch and Youtube gave me a desire to be a better provider than anyone ever was.

That was all I ever wanted to do; waste less, work more, maximize longevity.

--

Just because you see that people are new, doesn't necessarily mean they know less than you.

But even if they did, you should probably just silently envy them, instead of rushing to pluck them from the tree, before they're ripe.

Especially if you haven't ripened yourself.

--

Note Justice and Honor does not talk. He didn't need to. Neither do you, but you can, if you want to.

If I were you, I'd set a good example by working twice as hard if you get one of those messages, and talking half as much, if not at all. Set a good example.

Please, for fuck's sake, don't churn out more chatty buffoons like Twisted.

One WBSteve is more than enough.

Now go fuck yourself.
I love you.
Bye.

#14 2019-09-19 07:11:44

CatX

Morti wrote:

One WBSteve is more than enough.

Now go fuck yourself.
I love you.
Bye.

Morti.

If you love doing what you do, that's great.

But just maybe there are more ways than your way to enjoy this game.

Relax and trust that the new players will grow into the kind of players they're meant to be. wink

-Love-

#15 2019-09-19 09:19:48

Twisted

Morti wrote:

If I were you, I'd set a good example by working twice as hard if you get one of those messages, and talking half as much, if not at all. Set a good example.

Morti wrote:

And don't try and run away from people and live your life in a little sanctuary outside of town, that doesn't work, like that little village I slaughtered for the sake of a road.

Morti wrote:

Well shit, I went tyrant public service last life and killed a family in a little fence along the path for the road.

They refused to move... let the drama ensue.

Morti wrote:

You have absolutely no fucking clue what is it you're talking about, 2 hours a week, so get fucked.
I play more hours in microsleep each week, than you do awake.

Morti wrote:

Jason, get your shit sorted out.
And don't ask for the logs of my replay. You're smart enough to fix these things just knowing how they are possible.
Too bad you overlooked these things in your own code, genius.

Morti wrote:

Morti

Morti wrote:

...buffoons like Twisted.

Yes, less people like me and more shitposters like Morti. Because that's what the game needs. roll

#16 2019-09-19 09:23:07

pein

Shortly: doesn't matter how many games you played (you can even start a new account who knows), doesn't matter how many lives you lived, yo can still be bad at it. Average life length is a decent pointer, but there is a pretty simple way of 'testing skill': old age deaths. The only thing you need for that is to be able to eat, stay motivated and stay out of trouble. I saw people who had one of their first lives, but did manage to live a long life, and even if they can learn about other things, I'm sure they also able to ask for it.

Well, really depends on what you consider new.
I would say the first 10 hours is barely enough to get used to the controls and to focus enough on the food bar
depends on the person too, like this game has a weird niche, hard to say that anyone can be familiar with the concept
maybe don't starve has similar mechanics and that's hard enough of a game, so people coming from there will be quite good in a short time.
To look at the food bar while you are engaged in a conversation, is something not many people are used to do. When I'm teaching i always force-feed people. Also, when someone is telling a story and too excited, i am calculating their hunger drop. I saw a few dumb deaths, like the last girl who starved before i hit 60 just after she promised me that lives long and has a lot of kids (didn't even ask for it, she just started the generic monlogue and starved while talking)

I saw a few streams by newbie players, they get lost in the game, they do stuff randomly, then die suddenly after they build up their interest for an activity. There was a French guy who tried out the game, he got clothes and pies in backpack, he couldn't use it, and he didn't recognize the other food types, failed to pick berries and died with pies in the pack. He got frustrated by that, and he wanted to provide entertainment for the viewers, he told me that he likes the game but is very hard, and he will play it alone to get used to it, so he just switched to other game.

Now there is a point when people acting too motherly to me gets annoying but overall new players trying to teach me as a baby is kind of cute.
So there is no point of a newbie teaching an old-timer, or a newbie teaching other newbies, but there is always good to know that your kid is less experienced than you, so he/she needs special attention.
I like this feature and it can actually mean that a teacher job can be done full time, and people who enjoy it, can do it, rather than expecting that only mothers do that.

I think under 30 hours it's still a new player. Pumped a lot of hours in my first week and still didn't get to a point to compost or go shepherding or pottery or smithing. Mainly because no one else knew these things.
Now we are better off with skilled players, but often times mothers get overwhelmed by the amount of kids, and most of them just run away at age 3, not even saying anything, and other kids just got put down to a bush and that's it.

We had this questions of: 'are you new?' and lot of people are afraid/embarrassed to say yes, or others cant comprehend what 'new' means, I met a few new people who could do a lot of tasks, but they needed a constant feedback to do so, they got iron, branches, whatever I needed but I had to tell them the next step. Some people act new to get clothes, act nicely at start or when they need something, but it's just a mask. So lot of us doesn't really trust players, or expects them to be able to eat at least. But I got actual answers from new players like: 'I'm not new, I played 3 games'

Considering the amount of content, around 300 hours covers most of the gameplay possibilities if someone is willing to explore all the options.
At that point only a few activities are left, which aren't essential, but if the person isn't yet  bored with the game, will reach out to discord  and forum users.

Based on the script statistics, I think one major difference in skill is 'average life length' which can range between 20 to 48ish, and it's a quite good indicator of a persons understanding of the game. A person who is not new, has a few lives where he reached older age, I would say 40 is enough, but a few old age deaths indicate that he can use the controls and can survive if there are enough resources to produce food.

Also, it could be a good 'quest' to live a few older age lives to gain the status, i mean if they don't, they won't anyway, so no downside of considering people new until they got a few elder characters behind them.

So maybe track the first few lives, and after a person reached old age 3 times, it's considered new player.
The other option could be a percentage based system, where the parent having at least twice the hours played value, would get a message that their kid is less experienced than them. Similarly, reversely could be that the baby gets a message that the parent is more, much more experienced than him.

One thing i could imagine, is a Tutor subscription, so the player could check a box, that he/she likes to teach players, then would receive notification if any babies need help (can be abused tho, so maybe kills on these babies would be punished by removing the option). the babies who consider they need a tutor, would also receive notification if any willing teacher is close by.

I agree with morti on some scale, but he is also a bad example of many hours and not much skill tongue and i tell this because he likes to throw it in your face, even has charts of who and how many hours had at a certain point. but fails on understanding logic behind new metas. While Tarr and me recognized new strategies and adopted without talking much about it, or Pharo and I just teamed up to do cool stuff, without recognizing each other, some players got serious butthurtedness doing things differently than they used to. I mean, i could teach people advanced stuff, they consider themselves too good for that, so it ends up as a chaotic clown fiesta when unskilled people "lead" the town.

Oh, the other important thing is Eve runs, lot of people doesn't even try it or fail at it each time. Joriom's guide on it was the first thing that made me re-think the whole game, as i was doing the same thing others do, searching big city, never farming, doing whatever. People who improve their skills and take care of others, know how the game should be played to sustain yourself at least and go forward with tech within a shorter time frame.

Twisted is a joke, on one hand he ruins the towns made by me and role plays to a point where the lineage dies, then he still has the face to say that the community would be better without me. There was a video where i built up a whole city, taught a few new players, made tons of compost, made my own clothes and a few others, meanwhile he was ruining 2 shovels and a compost pile on potatoes to prove it that is bad. I'm pretty sure that people can realize that from destroying one single shovel and planting 2 tiles of it. Or when he tried to kill me for the viewers asking, then got stabbed quite quick, ofc he denied for long, just it was hard to remember for him his original lies the next time.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#17 2019-09-19 18:01:45

Anhigen

Received a couple of these messages during my play today; really cool to see brand new players are still joining. I showed someone how to use a bucket, a flipping bucket, and I can say that was a very rewarding experience. Next baby already on my hip, there I am, patiently waiting and helping as someone figured out the basic controls--this game has great moments. That feeling of pride when I watched them get it, like cmon, that is so much fun. Parenting without the poop, it's flippin great.

Everyone talks about how great milk is, no one talks about how many bb cows you must let die...

#18 2019-09-19 18:44:52

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I'm worried about making the "new player" window too long, to the point where it will be annoying to the new-ish player.

Like, "I'm not a noob anymore, jeez, why does every mom treat me like an idiot?"

Then again, it does kinda go with the territory of being a baby, so maybe I'm over-thinking it.

Okay....  how about < 8 hours means you're new?  And I'll just not worry about the number of lives you've lived.

#19 2019-09-19 19:07:32

DestinyCall

Sounds perfect to me!

#20 2019-10-05 22:39:56

WBSteve

Morti wrote:

why you hate me so?

#21 2019-10-05 22:54:21

pein

i had two new babies, my son was typing stuff at birth, but then he didn't answer later, i had some business to take care of, and he disappeared from my eyes

the other game my girl was roaming quite a lot, she didn't seem to have issues with navigation but i think she died anyway

but i saw a player who wasn't new by your definition, but still died early on, her mom was afk, me as a granny took care of last 3 bby girls and told her to feed the other baby as i was dead almost, close to 60, she didn't know how to do it, short after i answered, reached 60 so dunno what happened to them

if they never lived to 60, let alone 40 or average 20 years, they are new, they need help

You could add an extra category that is not brand new, but still new, they still need to learn what to do and how to do and what are the possibilities.
If someone starves between 6 and 20 it's quite a big investment, and they die before they could have some kids, people would rather keep an eye on them than to lose them and wonder hwo it happened.

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#22 2019-10-05 23:26:51

StrongForce

Pein
TLDR

Baby dance!!

#23 2019-10-06 01:22:09

testo

This is working but nothing about it is important.

Its just a poor bandaid for the lack of a proper tutorial.

Last edited by testo (2019-10-06 01:23:03)

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#24 2019-10-06 02:01:31

pein

its quite annoying it triggers mid conversation too, "you are" is quite a common thing people can say without naming babies.

#25 2019-10-06 03:16:00

MrShuriken

Id say <8 hours should be new player
It's long enough for you to learn basics like berry farming etc etc
And maybe only count the time of the lives after they live to 10
So you actually have to live to take the time down
Furthermore, why can't we just teach berry farming in the tutorial, its not too advanced and IMO would stop new players from getting stabbed for being new, as at least then they would be useful?

Board footer