One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-13 06:46:36

Mr meeseeks

We need more content

More food, more clothes, more skins.... Something... Please give us more content. There is so much you could do with food at least? Apple pies? 
I know you're working on something big with the rift, but small things could go a long way in the meantime.

Last edited by Mr meeseeks (2019-09-13 10:18:21)

I'm Mr Meeseeks look at me.

#2 2019-09-13 06:51:16

Mr meeseeks

Re: We need more content

An idea... Make apple trees so rare, there is only one per rift. Then you have to cut the apples to put them in a pie crust... It's such a small and easily achievable idea, but would give people something to do... I'm not saying do exactly this, but do something!!!

#3 2019-09-13 06:55:08

Mr meeseeks

The mobile game ripped you off, and I hate that... But they are outpacing you in content and amount of players..

#4 2019-09-13 19:47:35

Spiegel

People actually sit down and play mobile games for an hour?

I need to get with the times.

#5 2019-09-13 19:50:42

sigmen4020

Yeah I've tried the mobile version of the game. It might have more content and some neat features like the "Observation mode", but I can't get over the controls. It's too much of a downside for me.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#6 2019-09-13 21:15:00

Anhigen

Novel items are coming! But it's good we're working out some of the shitty mechanics. It won't matter if we have 10 000 items to build when their interactions are terrible. Our present items are being fixed so that the addition of new items won't mean that we just have
MORE broken/boring things.

How are the new roads handling?

Everyone talks about how great milk is, no one talks about how many bb cows you must let die...

#7 2019-09-13 21:45:09

BladeWoods

Things have felt real slow since Jason's been gone for a lot of the past weeks, hopefully we get some nice patches going forwards. If he actually fixes all the content issues it would be a lot of stuff that I consider to be new content.

#8 2019-09-14 01:28:35

pein

i bought their mobile game and wasn't really using it, it just not my style

i tried to start it trough nox, to play trough an emulator but it doesn't work
and that's quite weird, i didn't knew that's possible before, i thought that maybe  i could use their servers trough a pc

but that doesn't work and neither the pc controls, and their gestures are quite bad for a game that needs 2 clicks, maybe holding down a button
but at least they try to add ideas of the community

meanwhile jason has this ground breaking ideas but just meme mechanics supporting more meme mechanics like the fences and wars to help people care and war and trade but he just made things worse

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#9 2019-09-14 01:42:44

Morti

Anhigen wrote:

Novel items are coming! But it's good we're working out some of the shitty mechanics. It won't matter if we have 10 000 items to build when their interactions are terrible. Our present items are being fixed so that the addition of new items won't mean that we just have
MORE broken/boring things.

If you're going to parrot Jason, why don't you parrot his promise for the game, instead of his excuse for failing?

l0JELrb.png

#10 2019-09-14 01:51:41

Karrots

sigmen4020 wrote:

Yeah I've tried the mobile version of the game. It might have more content and some neat features like the "Observation mode", but I can't get over the controls. It's too much of a downside for me.

I play on cromebook with a bluetooth mouse and it works pretty much the same aside from a few gimmicks. It's like the if you had to use the computer but the right side and left side of the mouse flipped. It'd be annoying for a while but you'd eventually get the hang of it. The downside of mobile for m is the English playerbase. Not enough good, booming servers with people who speak my language, and it's a real downer. If it was the more popular version I'd have switched over permanently already tbh.

#11 2019-09-14 05:57:23

Anhigen

Morti wrote:

If you're going to parrot Jason, why don't you parrot his promise for the game,instead of his excuse for failing?

Eye roll. Ok.

If this is a grift I'm not parroting Jason, I'm a shelling for him, lol and yeah, I think calls for more content are about the most misconstrued sense of excitement for a game, on any board, a player can make--we want more of the thing! The only solution to our problem is more of the thing! We hate the thing now but want more of the thing soon!

Clearly developers want to add more content. That same urge/desire/commercial interest is what prompted them to make the game in the first place. Reminding people that content is coming, I find, is a worthwhile endeavor. Just as much as they find it's worthwhile to huff that they want more of the thing that's already on it's way. Your amazon package is on it's way--you already ordered it, lol. Jason isn't sitting there, with all his dreams and visions for the game, and going "Yuuuuuup, this--right here--yeah, that's FULLY realized. Wouldn't change a fucking thing. Can't wait to shelf this and just bank for next ten years of my life. Feet up, drinks out!"

Anytime a developer has to sideline making additions to their project, to do other work, it's not without cause.

That PAX convention was huge, for an indie developer, and it's gunna change some work flow. Change your expectations accordingly. I don't see it as a failure, either, that we don't have 100 new broken and fucking boring items crammed into the game. I'm not interested in a bunch of "skinned" items that don't add impact, and I'm def not interested in playing task cycles that require no knowledge, no mechanical/skilled input (outside of a click), and zero inter-player actions to utilize or complete. But that fundamental flaw wasn't highlighted when the rift was novel through constant expansion (and the game was novel in and of itself). Inflation, if you will, hid a lot of those problems and I'm happy that they are being worked out now. Like, it's still a hundred new items, but they will be/are reworks of old things. Would all your woes be fixed if a new recipe item for tomatoes comes out on thursday or would you be more interested in berry farming not being a flippin chore? A lot of items can be implemented, exponentially, but they'll be iterations derived from a system, and if that system is shit--fundamental flaws in the game--then (excuse my analogy) we'll just have a rift with a bunch of recently fed sheep in it; a rift full of shit.

TBH, I'm surprised you didn't see the road fixes, Morti, as a direct nod to your recent projects and an endorsement, or thank you, by the developer for your work in the community (which has been cool to watch both in and out of game, btw). You and your global works probably put that project right on his plate. Gotta be real fun smoothing out a buggy bit of code that you think will directly benefit some of your most active/vocal players but instead find out they're pissed they can't make a green straw hat to shove onto their babies using the same boring harvest system that every other item is structured on as well. Such a failure.

Everyone talks about how great milk is, no one talks about how many bb cows you must let die...

#12 2019-09-14 06:10:52

Saolin

Anhigen wrote:

I'm glad to see Jason has decided to hire a community-liason.  Great move.  No need for Jason to absorb the brunt of our discontent with whatever, lol.

#13 2019-09-14 06:18:29

Tempted

It's like tact is a lost art on everyone lol. So much salt from each side.

#14 2019-09-14 06:26:45

Dodge

Saolin wrote:
Anhigen wrote:

I'm glad to see Jason has decided to hire a community-liason.  Great move.  No need for Jason to absorb the brunt of our discontent with whatever, lol.

Not sure if you're trolling or being actually serious hmm

#15 2019-09-14 06:33:54

DestinyCall

Dodge wrote:
Saolin wrote:
Anhigen wrote:

Not sure if you're trolling or being actually serious hmm

It's funny either way!

#16 2019-09-14 06:53:02

Anhigen

Saolin wrote:
Anhigen wrote:

I hope he starts paying me soon--bin invoicing, and writing love poems, to him for days now. He hasn't responded yet. Do you think he doesn't like me?! Lol, just kidding, if that wasn't clear...

And just so it's clear, griping about your fave game is such a fun thing to do, but yooo this board has some people that have lost the fun of it. I walked into this place, hoping to find a space where people talked about their mutual love/excitement for the game (y'all read destiny's bit on corn--it's a fucking clinic!!) and shared cool shit with one another, but boy... was I ever startled. This forum is full of the common stuff that you see quietly, or explicitly, moderated on other boards too, and it's a great lesson why most of those boring forum rules get implemented in the first place. Like, this is a venue with direct access to a developer and it's just full of the worst kind of posts.

I might be naive, or maybe I've just played too much OHOL lately and think my efforts on a persistent forum matter, lol, but I think reminding people that their developer isn't against them is a good thing. Some of the suggestions (read: complaints) on here are just cheat codes with more steps and if gamesharks taught us anything about gaming, getting what you "want" isn't always fun. I think it's great the developer can admit that parts of their game are boring/not-fun and actively participates with the community that's sprung up from their work. That's A1-hyper-plus- alpha-pneumatic in my books, so I'm interested in sharing my excitement to see what solutions will be implemented, and I think a lot of posts on here are litter for new and would be players, like myself, who would otherwise love to join into the discussion--me in a nutshell.

#17 2019-09-15 08:46:08

Mr meeseeks

Spiegel wrote:

People actually sit down and play mobile games for an hour?

I need to get with the times.

They do. Typically five times the amount of people.

I hope Jason sues...

I also hope he steals some of their ideas, and gives us some content.

#18 2019-09-15 16:06:49

Coniculls13
Website

Anhigen wrote:
Saolin wrote:
Anhigen wrote:

I hope he starts paying me soon--bin invoicing, and writing love poems, to him for days now. He hasn't responded yet. Do you think he doesn't like me?! Lol, just kidding, if that wasn't clear...

And just so it's clear, griping about your fave game is such a fun thing to do, but yooo this board has some people that have lost the fun of it. I walked into this place, hoping to find a space where people talked about their mutual love/excitement for the game (y'all read destiny's bit on corn--it's a fucking clinic!!) and shared cool shit with one another, but boy... was I ever startled. This forum is full of the common stuff that you see quietly, or explicitly, moderated on other boards too, and it's a great lesson why most of those boring forum rules get implemented in the first place. Like, this is a venue with direct access to a developer and it's just full of the worst kind of posts.

I might be naive, or maybe I've just played too much OHOL lately and think my efforts on a persistent forum matter, lol, but I think reminding people that their developer isn't against them is a good thing. Some of the suggestions (read: complaints) on here are just cheat codes with more steps and if gamesharks taught us anything about gaming, getting what you "want" isn't always fun. I think it's great the developer can admit that parts of their game are boring/not-fun and actively participates with the community that's sprung up from their work. That's A1-hyper-plus- alpha-pneumatic in my books, so I'm interested in sharing my excitement to see what solutions will be implemented, and I think a lot of posts on here are litter for new and would be players, like myself, who would otherwise love to join into the discussion--me in a nutshell.

I don't know what it is about what you say, but I want more of it. Never have I seen more sense here.

Maintainer of Two Hours One Life - a curated OHOL server. Discord https://discord.gg/atEgxm7

#19 2019-09-15 17:34:30

Mr meeseeks

Anhigen wrote:
Morti wrote:

If you're going to parrot Jason, why don't you parrot his promise for the game,instead of his excuse for failing?

Eye roll. Ok.

If this is a grift I'm not parroting Jason, I'm a shelling for him, lol and yeah, I think calls for more content are about the most misconstrued sense of excitement for a game, on any board, a player can make--we want more of the thing! The only solution to our problem is more of the thing! We hate the thing now but want more of the thing soon!

Clearly developers want to add more content. That same urge/desire/commercial interest is what prompted them to make the game in the first place. Reminding people that content is coming, I find, is a worthwhile endeavor. Just as much as they find it's worthwhile to huff that they want more of the thing that's already on it's way. Your amazon package is on it's way--you already ordered it, lol. Jason isn't sitting there, with all his dreams and visions for the game, and going "Yuuuuuup, this--right here--yeah, that's FULLY realized. Wouldn't change a fucking thing. Can't wait to shelf this and just bank for next ten years of my life. Feet up, drinks out!"

Anytime a developer has to sideline making additions to their project, to do other work, it's not without cause.

That PAX convention was huge, for an indie developer, and it's gunna change some work flow. Change your expectations accordingly. I don't see it as a failure, either, that we don't have 100 new broken and fucking boring items crammed into the game. I'm not interested in a bunch of "skinned" items that don't add impact, and I'm def not interested in playing task cycles that require no knowledge, no mechanical/skilled input (outside of a click), and zero inter-player actions to utilize or complete. But that fundamental flaw wasn't highlighted when the rift was novel through constant expansion (and the game was novel in and of itself). Inflation, if you will, hid a lot of those problems and I'm happy that they are being worked out now. Like, it's still a hundred new items, but they will be/are reworks of old things. Would all your woes be fixed if a new recipe item for tomatoes comes out on thursday or would you be more interested in berry farming not being a flippin chore? A lot of items can be implemented, exponentially, but they'll be iterations derived from a system, and if that system is shit--fundamental flaws in the game--then (excuse my analogy) we'll just have a rift with a bunch of recently fed sheep in it; a rift full of shit.

TBH, I'm surprised you didn't see the road fixes, Morti, as a direct nod to your recent projects and an endorsement, or thank you, by the developer for your work in the community (which has been cool to watch both in and out of game, btw). You and your global works probably put that project right on his plate. Gotta be real fun smoothing out a buggy bit of code that you think will directly benefit some of your most active/vocal players but instead find out they're pissed they can't make a green straw hat to shove onto their babies using the same boring harvest system that every other item is structured on as well. Such a failure.

Actually, when I posted this, tomatoes and onions either hadn't been changed, or I wasn't aware of the change..

Its a pretty small change, but was nice to see..

I'm happy to wait for more significant changes.

As I said in my original post...

#20 2019-09-17 09:07:13

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

content

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#21 2019-09-17 13:31:08

MrsDuckGirl

UbxoHIt.png

#22 2019-09-17 14:36:45

Mr meeseeks

/shocked

#23 2019-09-17 14:45:09

antking:]#

I'm going to guess that this was done on one of the empty servers or on a private server... but impressive none the less, just out of curiosity how old are those corn plants? a hundred and couniting?

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#24 2019-09-17 16:02:45

Booklat1

Honestly, we don't even need more content considering we have so much unused content like buildings with walls and paint, rails, cars and planes.

I think Jason could spend more time reworking some base features like heat to make these features more of an integral part of the game before adding more content. We got cold foods like ice cream before reworking building heat calculation, for example. And buildings are still hardly ever made (because lets face it, in the current build they're neither needed nor useful).

How long has it been since last you've seen mango trees? Or rails? How about cars?

Jason is taking his time on the rift and I think that's a good thing for this game but when he comes back to working on straightforward content I think it wouldn't hurt to fix some stuff beforehand.

#25 2019-09-18 07:48:51

MrsDuckGirl

Mr meeseeks wrote:

/shocked

That's what happens when I'm bored.

antking:]# wrote:

I'm going to guess that this was done on one of the empty servers or on a private server... but impressive none the less, just out of curiosity how old are those corn plants? a hundred and couniting?

Yes, I made that on a low pop server. The corn plants are the youngest plants of this garden, as I first made an E with them, but it was unreadable so I used them to draw the C. The whole thing took me about four Eve lives, so three hours in total. I had a bunch of wild soil very close and most of seeds I used were already available. I only had to make new seeds for potatoes and squash. And onions, as the E made out of single onions wasn't pretty enough. The garden itself wasn't that long, I think the longest part was the cleaning part, removing trees and other blocking stuff. I have also been unlucky with two hoes that broke after about ten uses (brand new hoes, freshly smithed).

Now to reply to Booklat1, indeed buildings are useless, moreover in the rift on BS2 where they'll last only a few hours. Pity because you can build really nice things, build some castles, mix stone walls with adobe walls... I build them for the beauty of it. Cars are also useless, where would you go with only two minutes of gasoline, what would you bring back with only three spots in your car (the fourth one being taken by your tank of kerosene). We once built two cars, still on low pop server, with a race circuit. Well, we raced once, it was funny and dizzy but then... ? There's nothing really interesting to do with cars. Even worse with planes.
I agree there's a lot of stuff to fix beforehand. The way we make compost for example. When everybody yums, feeds sheeps for wool and compost, you end up with a bunch of mutton. Irl, my compost is made of all the vegetable and fruit peels, tree leaves... then worms work for me. I never add sheep poop. I may bring some horse poop once a year, not even every years, directly on the ground. Irl, I would certainly not feed a sheep with human edible food : sheeps eat grass and poop by themselves.
Jason is taking his time on the rift... that's maybe the problem : he releases an update that isn't working well and then we have to wait for fixes. To get what ? Diggable cacti. Why ? Who has ever been annoyed that much by a cactus ? What family settle in the desert so they have to dig cacti to expand their town ? Why make bones in a basket uncontainable ? What was the urge for that ? I would prefer he fixes the ten-uses-and-I-break hoe (I also noticed it for some other tools) than he fixes useless issues.

Board footer