One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-13 19:45:38

DestinyCall

Reflections of the Rift - What did you like?

I liked being able to explore the map more easily by using the rift edges for navigation.   I could find out where I was and return to places that I liked to fix problems or continue working on longterm projects.

It was a big box, but small enough that I could travel from one end to the other in s single lifetime, even if I was on foot.  A horse made traveling the rift a breeze.  My only regret was not being able to rest my horse anywhere except town.   I'd love it if horses could be anchored on rocks or trees.

I liked the road network and the Tarr monument shrine. 

I liked starting a cult to worship a juniper tree sapling.  It was funny and sad at the same time.

What positive experiences did you have while living in the Rift?

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-08-13 19:47:09)

#2 2019-08-13 20:17:31

WumboJumbo

Re: Reflections of the Rift - What did you like?

DestinyCall wrote:

I liked being able to explore the map more easily by using the rift edges for navigation.   I could find out where I was and return to places that I liked to fix problems or continue working on longterm projects.

It was a big box, but small enough that I could travel from one end to the other in s single lifetime, even if I was on foot.  A horse made traveling the rift a breeze.  My only regret was not being able to rest my horse anywhere except town.   I'd love it if horses could be anchored on rocks or trees.

I liked the road network and the Tarr monument shrine. 

I liked starting a cult to worship a juniper tree sapling.  It was funny and sad at the same time.

What positive experiences did you have while living in the Rift?

The Tarr Monument was nice. That’s about it.

#3 2019-08-13 20:21:54

Karrots

Tarr Monument was very nice. I liked being the elder and getting to declare peace or war. I liked bringing offerings of pants and pork tacos to neighboring villages and not getting killed. But I feel like the bad outweighs the good anyhow and makes the special moments forgettable in a sea of frustration.

#4 2019-08-13 20:31:10

WumboJumbo

Karrots wrote:

Tarr Monument was very nice. I liked being the elder and getting to declare peace or war. I liked bringing offerings of pants and pork tacos to neighboring villages and not getting killed. But I feel like the bad outweighs the good anyhow and makes the special moments forgettable in a sea of frustration.

Yeah, the war and peace features were nice too.

#5 2019-08-13 21:10:48

DestinyCall

I also had an opportunity to use the Elder takedown notice when a griefer trapped by family inside our walled village.   Nobody had done it before and it was rather unintuitive so my older brother died of old age and everyone else got super frustrated.  But we eventually worked it out, shortly before I died of old age.   I think it worked.   

Next time, I should be able to do it much more smoothly.  It is a nice solution for semi-perm objects since it is not fast or easy and requires coordination between people.   But it isn't impossible with the right motivation.   I think it is a move in the right direction.

#6 2019-08-13 21:31:20

Amon

I love the new map generation, actualyl the rift made me feel more secure about traveling, I do hope the rift eventually becomes a feature like an iregularly shaped coastline. It's a good closure feeling.

The only thing bad were really the griefers, I receeded onto the small servers that are more active and the rift paired up with teamwork?.. I've really enjoyed myself so much.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#7 2019-08-14 00:23:48

pein

i liked the fact that we got some limits, and they helped on navigation
i generally did much more travel in lifes, and when we was at the middle of map, i had knowledge of NW hemisphere on an 1500 radius
but now with a small 702x702 box i knew every viable space on the map

i liked the rush i did on 5th day? of the arc
i combined the extra leftover resources into an engine and managed to mine record amount of iron in 2 lifes
it gives you the possibility to make mine carts and heck, even sheep pens made out of distillers xD it's just it really doesn't last that long before they take the engines and the oil-iron-well engine it's still well engine-oil-iron, they seem to forget they cant use well without kero so they rather mine iron first and then install the well motor

male lives proved to e more useful, 3 guys from 3 families managed to revive NÉ side in preparation of bigger population
also my life where al i had is 3 sons, proved to be useful in terms of long term viability of the camp

it proved my fortress plans a very viable solution to start new cities, where you don't just throw stuff around from get go with randoms, rather you do it strategically, it wasn't perfect, they ruined it with weird extensions, but it created new cities from nothing that became very powerful towards the end

i liked that focusing my efforts on North and North East, where the map wasn't fully viable to get horses or rubber, it still became the most populated area and highest tech levels

had some fun playing more lifes, but i think now that i work, and it only lasts 3 days it's just not the best way to play ohol
if you are dropped into a random life, you don't have all the information you need
it's like you need to scout on horse a few lifes and settle for a side, part of map, then commit to it, maybe a reserve spot if you cant get in

and griefers who destroy stuff, don't have this problem, they just ruin all sides and it works toward their goal

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2019-08-14 05:28:09

OminousBladeBlank

I miss the opportunity of raiding, both because I like to raid and I miss the emphasis it put on town defense. Good infrastructure and planning is particularly important in the rift.

Compact planning is important because fencing it all in is a time consuming task. I agree with Pein that you need to have a few years experience to have any idea what you're doing.

For instance, I wiped out a city on day 4 maybe, center south, a little to the west. Every life after for the next few days, I could run there and slap together a pack from leftover leather and rabbits. Then I'd slowly learn how to go from Tarr to maybe 6 towns.

I miss that.

What is an ominous blade blank?

It's that blade blank next to the file and short staff you see in a naked toddler's basket.

#9 2019-08-14 05:36:45

ollj

i liked the silliness of only bears and arrows being the thing that mattered most of the time.

#10 2019-08-14 06:21:28

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

I liked the early stages of the rift where we escaped. That was really fun. Then myself and a bunch of other people flew iron in to support the hammer family.

I hated everything else personally.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#11 2019-08-14 09:13:04

Tizzy

I liked being able to use the Tarr monument and rift walls as points of reference, also being able to find other people and families. I really liked the new peace feature because when you achieved it you felt like a hero uniting two settlements or two families in the same village making it so you could live without as much fear. Without the rift that doesn’t feel as important because the chance of running into anyone or living in close quarters isn’t as likely.
It was hard having limited resources but when you found them it was amazing! You were the star of your town, you were remembered and talked about!
There were things I disliked but it was also fun.

#12 2019-08-14 12:03:31

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Don't worry...

It will be back soon!

#13 2019-08-14 12:03:50

jasonrohrer
Administrator

But thank you all for this much-needed dose of positivity.

#14 2019-08-14 12:05:26

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Noooooooooo

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#15 2019-08-14 12:23:00

Twisted

jasonrohrer wrote:

Don't worry...

It will be back soon!

sad

#16 2019-08-14 12:35:34

CatX

jasonrohrer wrote:

Don't worry...

It will be back soon!

hmm

#17 2019-08-14 13:06:17

Karrots

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

I liked the early stages of the rift where we escaped. That was really fun. Then myself and a bunch of other people flew iron in to support the hammer family.

I hated everything else personally.

Yeah escaping was really fun. Being outside of the rift and flying in supplies to the poor, impoverished rift families was always awesome.

#18 2019-08-14 13:15:44

D3mon1cblack

escaping the rift was fun  loved hearing ppl got out after rushing a oiljack and makin a bunch of oil
also running around with a med apron trying to save poor saps that got bitten by bears or whatever. Only did that one life and saved a rando tongue (ppl being close makes this feasible)
The road system was great aswell! gj ppl!!!!!
And even tho it was a griever problem i did like finding iron behind bearcaves at the end of the 8 day arc (i think day 6 or 7 just before most junipers got cut)
And omg all the shrooms located across the rift!!!!!!!!!!!

im eve groot or eve degroot and if i dont care and spawn next to an item ill call myself eve (itemname)
420 mushroom cultist and proud of it!

#19 2019-08-14 14:00:07

The_Anabaptist

The rift taught me that I rely too much on iron.  I can farm pretty well with just a series of stone hoes.  I just wish the shovel didn't require an iron.  Can we get more than one recipe for an object?  A wooden shovel should be an option.

The_Anabaptist

#20 2019-08-14 14:33:40

miskas

oh yes, a wooden shovel! 
the iron shovel is really weaker than other tools as well, has ~40 uses but soil need 2 uses at the time, and you need a shovel for much more things than soil, like building or for graves. Other than hoe which is just a farming tool.

About the rift? I loved it! It wasn't really fun to play in but neither the free world was for me. The free world was a boring meaningless state. But the rift! It gave a meaning to the game, a purpose, it bonded us together and split us into groups (mainly grievers and caregivers). The most important is a tool for many needed fixes and changes to be added to the game and with every rift, our game experience will be improved.

Last edited by miskas (2019-08-14 14:43:28)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#21 2019-08-14 15:01:39

DestinyCall

I would love to see more stone tools.   A stone axe.  A stone shovel.  A stone hoe.  These basics should all be available from the start as stone-age tools, instead of jumping from straight to steel tools.   It gives options when iron is scarce while still providing an incentive to climb up the tech tree.

#22 2019-08-14 21:55:34

Saolin

I really like the map update. It feels a lot more natural, and I find it's easier to keep track of where I'm going without getting lost when exploring if there's no home marker.

#23 2019-08-14 23:00:51

WumboJumbo

jasonrohrer wrote:

Don't worry...

It will be back soon!

mad

#24 2019-08-15 00:02:00

Taz

jasonrohrer wrote:

Don't worry...

It will be back soon!

sad

#25 2019-08-15 01:00:36

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

Don't worry...

It will be back soon!

It will lead to the same problem.  Same happened when you brought everyone together.  Bringing everyone together will make things easier for griefers.

It also limits potential player growth.

You don't need positivity here.  You need to move on.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer