One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-02 20:05:44

sigmen4020

Diesel Mining pick

Seems like iron will be infinite now, or at least close to.

UzrWaBd.png

UJjpldk.png

What do you guys think?

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2019-08-02 20:08:39)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#2 2019-08-02 20:20:40

Dodge

Re: Diesel Mining pick

It's a minging pick, it doesn't mine it mings tongue

Jokes aside good addition, it wont be infinite since it relies on oil.

Probably needs some balancing and tweaking seems a little OP, maybe there will be different tiers of mine at one point we'll see.

Also if you think about it one car fill or one plane ride now costs 6 iron, ouch!

Predicting some stabbing of car and plane drivers.

#3 2019-08-02 20:28:05

sigmen4020

Dodge wrote:

It's a minging pick, it doesn't mine it mings tongue

Jokes aside good addition, it wont be infinite since it relies on oil.

Probably needs some balancing and tweaking seems a little OP, maybe there will be different tiers of mine at one point we'll see.

Also if you think about it one car fill or one plane ride now costs 6 iron, ouch!

Predicting some stabbing of car and plane drivers.

Yup can imagine plane and car makers will be frowned upon more now.

#4 2019-08-02 20:42:52

Amon

-squints-
I don't think that's how it works.
What function does a doesel engine do here?

Many suggested pumping water out so one could mine deeper.
Air ventilation is required to go deeper.
Mechanical mining was done with high and low pressure air.
Tools were powered by high pressure, air was ventilated by low.

S-sparks could cause unforseeable damadge so such was no used in mines due dangerous gasses ogniting.
Unless I'm mistaken, but who knows untill i'm told.
My grandfather and great grandfather worked in mines.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#5 2019-08-02 22:07:50

Psykout

I think it takes one can of kerosene per run and each run equals X amount of iron. You get six runs of the engine before it transitions to a "dry/exhausted" state. In doing it that way you have more direct control over iron gained in a controlled variable. You retain jackpot potential of a single good pull out of run while still having and easy tweakable number to adjust down the road.

If this is the case, then oil will take the top spot as our limiting resource, with iron a close second.

I think we just entered a new era...

#6 2019-08-02 23:32:00

Potjeh

giphy.gif

#7 2019-08-02 23:46:50

mrbah

well jason likes to randomly switch between realism and game design. This is design. returning civilisation to one main ressource, once you have oil, oil becomes the new main ressource.

#8 2019-08-03 00:00:54

Baker

I think the rift needs a long term supply of iron. I think even with unlimited use, The oil itself is still finite. Assuming the mine couldn't be fucked with, A lot of conflicts could be resolved by having public diesel mines. Just bring your own fuel and fill up on iron when you need it instead of fighting over veins and stealing from others.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#9 2019-08-03 00:21:35

pein

more use for drill bit yay

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#10 2019-08-03 03:31:54

sigmen4020

pein wrote:

more use for drill bit yay

Well you actually add a chisel each time and not a drill bit. So the drill bit is still used for draw plates only.

#11 2019-08-03 05:19:08

pein

yeah i seen
draw plates can be recycled but they at least useful after
maybe you can do a few walls with copper and shafts
drill bits useless and small

so basically we put a chisel and a kero charge for 6 iron so net benefit 5 iron

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#12 2019-08-03 05:45:00

Saolin

Psykout wrote:

I think it takes one can of kerosene per run and each run equals X amount of iron. You get six runs of the engine before it transitions to a "dry/exhausted" state. In doing it that way you have more direct control over iron gained in a controlled variable. You retain jackpot potential of a single good pull out of run while still having and easy tweakable number to adjust down the road.

If this is the case, then oil will take the top spot as our limiting resource, with iron a close second.

Yeah, you're totally right.

Also, cars were worthless already in the rift (even before the rift, they really needed cargo space), but they're probably easily the worst thing in the game by far now.

#13 2019-08-03 07:23:48

sigmen4020

The

Saolin wrote:
Psykout wrote:

Yeah, you're totally right.

Also, cars were worthless already in the rift (even before the rift, they really needed cargo space), but they're probably easily the worst thing in the game by far now.

Now that planes can’t be used to escape the rift they might be even worse than cars.

#14 2019-08-03 08:35:54

HimitsuGato

Diesel engines acting as an endgame task is getting kinda repetitive. Plus in a tight spot you may be trying to use more iron to make iron, which is kinda a downward spiral. What if we could use a different part of the late game crafting tree.

Sulfuric Acid is another late game task similar in scale to engines. Along the crafting of it, you come across a material, potassium nitrate.

When potassium nitrate is mixed with sulfur and charcoal, it could be used to blast open a collapsed mine.

Or if you want more bang from your explosives, we already have both sulfuric an nitric acid. All of which are challenging and fun to make.

#15 2019-08-03 08:55:43

Dodge

HimitsuGato wrote:

Diesel engines acting as an endgame task is getting kinda repetitive. Plus in a tight spot you may be trying to use more iron to make iron, which is kinda a downward spiral. What if we could use a different part of the late game crafting tree.

Sulfuric Acid is another late game task similar in scale to engines. Along the crafting of it, you come across a material, potassium nitrate.

When potassium nitrate is mixed with sulfur and charcoal, it could be used to blast open a collapsed mine.

Or if you want more bang from your explosives, we already have both sulfuric an nitric acid. All of which are challenging and fun to make.

Maybe he will add another tier for the iron mine where you have to dig deeper with explosives or a big mining rig with drills and a conveyor belt.

Would be nice if the next step in tech was electrical stuff, so eventually we dont have to relly on oil anymore, but that's probably not for tommorow.

#16 2019-08-03 17:43:05

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Regarding realism, the mine shaft itself was kindof an abstract thing... where you dig it with the pick (realistic) but then after that, you kinda pull the rope to bring more to the surface.  The idea is that you actually go down there or something and work it, with the rope helping you up and down.

The same is true here.  There's some mechanism down there that allows this bit (the chisel) to keep striking the ore vein.  So it gives you a leg up over what you can do with the manual shaft.

Or maybe it just helps you carry it to the surface.

I did some research into mining machinery, and there's really no such thing.  People go down there and work, for the most part.  So that's what you're kinda doing here.  There are machines on the surface that help to pull stuff up.

This may be revisited in the future, where you actually attach a little box to the rope instead of a bit.  So then it really is a conveyance machine, and not a digging machine.  That will definitely make more sense.

BUT... I wanted to get this in there and working pronto.  Lets see how it affects the game, eh?

Also, it's kind of amazing that if you Google Image Search "Newcomen Drill", an OHOL image is the first result.  Such things were actually used historically for oil drilling.

Board footer