One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-28 21:14:25

bunny

Kerosene pump Tutorial Request

Can someone make a tutorial of ingame screenshots on which parts they need and the steps to build one?

#2 2019-07-28 22:07:09

Potjeh

Re: Kerosene pump Tutorial Request

https://edge.onetech.info/2345-Dry-Kero … ump/recipe

Basically just add a kerosene wick burner to a standard charcoal pump. Burner is steel rod bored three times and rope added. Steel rod is hot steel once on a roller.

#3 2019-07-28 22:46:26

sigmen4020

Before you can start getting oil you need a Newcomen multitool. To make that you need:

• Three wrought iron
• One rubber tire
• Four stone blocks
• Pump kit (two shaven curved and straight branches together)
• Rope
• Shaven yew branch

You can set up a Newcomen multitool anywhere you like. I recommend putting it to the right of the forge. To set it up you need a stone, stakes and a mallet. Hit the stakes with the stone until you reach the pit. When the pit has been reached hit it with a mallet, this will get you Newcomen stakes. At this stage you can begin construction of the multi tool. Now add the components in the following order:
1. The 4 stone blocks
2. The pump kit
3. The Newcomen core (Made from the wrought iron bars and rubber tire. To get it you need to forge the 3 bars. Hit one once(gets a piston), hit one twice(gets a cylinder) and hit one four times (gets a boiled). First combine the boiler and cylinder. You can first add the piston when you combine it with the rubber tire (piston with seal). Once you combine the sealed piston with the rest you have a finished core)
4. Rope
5. Shaven yew branch

Now that you have the multi tool you need to make the tools. The first you need is hammer. A hammer is simple to make. It’s just a crude piston like the one mentioned earlier (forge one wrought iron bar and hit it once) on a flat rock.

Now you can start the first run of the multitool. You need the final tools. The roller mechanism and pulley. For this you need four steel bars total. When running the multi tool you fill the Newcomen engine with a bucket of water and a basket of charcoal. The first run requires you to run the forge at the same time.

First put the hammer (piston on flat rock) on the multi tool. Insert bucket of water and basket of charcoal. Have a forge ready. Light the forge first (it lasts longer than the multi tool) then the multi tool. Now insert a steel bar into the lit forge (using tongs ofc) then put the hot bar into the multitool 3 times (this will get you a large pulley). In the first run you need:

• 3 large pulleys (hit in the Newcomen hammer 3 times)
• 1 small pulley (hit in the Newcomen hammer 2 times)

No to make the pulley and roller. The roller is the simplest. Just add two large pulleys to a shaven long branch. For the pulley add first a large pulley to a shaven long branch and then add the small pulley. Now you need a timing belt. Prepare a raw rubber tire and use it on the unfinished pulley. This will get you a raw belt that you now cook in the oven. Then add the finished belt on the pulley.

The pulley is not 100 % complete because you need bits for it. To get a bore mechanism you add a blade to the pulley. The lathe bit is made by adding a blade to a tied shaft.

After this you are ready to start getting oil.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#4 2019-07-28 23:41:08

sigmen4020

For the oil rig you need to first find a tarry spot in the wilderness. These tarry spots are found in the desert and tundra. I recommend building a road to it for easier access. Once you found you can begin preparations.

First of all getting oil requires a lot of pipes depending on your luck so just make as many as you can in a run of the multi tool. To make pipes you need to attach the roller to the multi tool. Add water and charcoal and have a forge ready. Insert as many hot steel bars into the running roller as you can in the time you have (only insert them once to get rods. This is very important).

Now you need the bore to turn the rods into pipes. Remove the roller and insert the bore. You won’t need to run the forge during this run. Just insert the rods once into the bore with your hands (don’t use tongs). You need insert all but one once. Insert that last one twice (this gets you a pipe with one hole). Combine the pipe with a hole with a regular pipe to a pump valve (you’ll need it later).

Now that you have at least one pipe you can construct the oil rig. Do the following:
1. Insert pipe into the tarry spot.
2. Add 4 stone blocks
3. Add pump kit
4. Add Newcomen core
5. Add rope
6. Add blade
7. Add bucket of water
8. Add basket of charcoal
9. Light with firebrand
10. There’s a 20 % chance of success each time there are two scenarios.
10a. 80%: The oil rig continues to be dry. Add a pipe to the rig and repeat from step 7.
10b. 20%: the oil rig guzzles and Jason cheers at you because you won the oil lottery. Continue from step 11
11. Insert the pump valve from earlier.

Now you got the means of producing crude oil, but you still need to purify it into kerosene. First of all kerosene’s require cans to store it in. To produce cans you need wrought iron bars again. Smelt the bar in the forge and hit it three times to get a can. You will need at least two cans to produce kerosene.

To purify crude oil into kerosene you need a distiller for this you need:
• one boiler (wrought bar hit four times)
• two cylinders (wrought bars hit two times)
• a pipe
• a can (wrought bar hit three times)
To assemble the distiller do the following:
1. Combine the two cylinders
2. Add the pile to the cylinders
3. Combine this with the boiler
4. Add can
5. Now you are ready for kerosene

Once everything is set up here’s the loop of coming from an empty can to a can of kerosene:
1. Add can to the oil rig
2. Add a bucket of water
3. Add a basket of charcoal
4. Light the rig
5. Now you have a can of crude oil
6. Add the can’s content to the complete distiller
7. Add basket of charcoal to distiller
8. Light the distiller
9. Kerosene can is ready, remove it from distiller
10. Now you have kerosene, rinse and repeat

So now you finally have kerosene, but what do you use it for? Either a Newcomen kerosene pump or a diesel pump. I’ll just explain the Newcomen for now.

Once you have oil up and running upgrading your Newcomen pump is easy. Run a rod or pipe as many times as you can through the bore. The end result will be a pipe with many holes. Now you add rope to this pipe. Now to upgrade a charcoal pump you just add this (what you just made is called a kerosene wick burner) to it when it’s still wet (it’s mossy).

To end things off I’ll tell you how to operate the Newcomen kerosene well. It’s simple:
1. Add the last bucket of water
2. Use the can of kerosene on the pump
3. Light it up
4. Now you have 5 water buckets as opposed to the 3 you get from the regular charcoal pump. (Just remember to always insert the last bucket back into the pump. This goes for the charcoal pump as well)

Phew that all took a while to write. It’s getting late over here so this is my last post here for now. I’m more than willing to continue and make a guide for making a Diesel engine if you’re interested.

#5 2019-07-29 02:26:49

Morti

Thank you sigmen.
I know it's a big thing to ask but could someone get screenshots of this process?
I'm sure it would really help the general public to see it all laid out.
A video, or a series of multiple short videos, of the process would be amazing.

Anyone know if there are videos of people going through this process? Say, on Twitch or Youtube?

#6 2019-07-29 03:04:04

wondible

Morti wrote:

Anyone know if there are videos of people going through this process? Say, on Twitch or Youtube?

I've got stream archives of a private server game where I went through and caught up on everything. It's not well indexed, and will be mixed up with lots of busy work like gathering kindling and farming milkweed.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P … W5Hr6Kv8x2

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#7 2019-07-29 05:38:36

pein

well basically the wick burner is an alternate route for newcommen

i was guilty as well at first, engine seemed challenging enough
water wasn't an issue , so i mostly made cars not water engines
the nerfs to water, made it that kinda essential to make an engine to have enough water for biggeer population

make always the oil first!
an engine will sit there ages and people wont know what to do with it

i didn't do too many wick burners, as people make the same mistakes all over again
like displaced newcommens ( the 2 right wsetup is quite common, i made that a meta)
people stil argue about it and lot of towns do it above kiln or left and very weird spots, i generally make kilns on flat empty spaces and like 20 away from any potential farm, and sometimes i even make new kilns just for engine making

if you do oil first, then you can have the iron for it, it may happen that people just use up all iron to make steel then you wont have enough for newcommens and tanks and all the stuff
it's a lot of iron

first you need 3 for the core
you need one core for multipurpose, one for well and one for oil
sure you can deplete a well and move it, or use for oil and rush it
but best is to have 3 cores
then it comes to oil distiller which is again 3 iron, and one pipe
then at least 2 tanks but the more the better, plus one piston for the hammer
that's a total of 13 iron, not steel

the kero burner isn't hard, same as normally, you make the newcommen for the well
but instead of using normally, you run it once so it's full
then attach the wick burner and turns it into kerosene newcommen pump

the only difference is that you don't need to add charcoal, you add kerosene into it which is slightly faster and better on water

generalyl better players will upgrade wells quite fast, and make the core for it
the next step is grindy as hell as you need a roller and a bore, and a hammer too
you make 3 big and a small pulley, ideally one more small and big for the engine making
you will need a rubber for each core and you need a raw rubber stretched on the pulley drive, ideally 2 or 3  (first for bore and lathe, 2nd for engine, 3rd for timing belt)
you need 10 pistons for engine, so if you got steel this is same step
next up you need to roll 5 steel to rods just for engine, plus a few for the oil and valves
you need 2 valves, one for the empty newcommen to engine well, one for oil pumpjack
the valve is a pipe plus a valve jacket which is 2 clicks with pipe on a bore
that's already 4 rods
don't forget to use 2 pistons on the bore

now you will need 1 pipe for a tank, and one pipe on a double cilinder
on top of this you need one to start tarry spot making into oil pumpjack, then 1 to 5 to gush the oil
so the total number of rods is 11 which i highly recomend

right now you will use extra pipes when the oil runs out so it's not a waste
also you will need 1 extra if you make car or plane

you can turn back swords to rods, which i did today twice, as it was no outsider danger for holly family so that 2 rods were used to that

you need 2 rods for lathe which is going to be 1 use for cam shaft and 2 use for crank shaft, plus one on the tank so total rod number is 14 and total pipe number is 12
so if you want a wick burner too, that's 15 and 13, where you make 2 valve jacket and 1 wick burner which is a pipe 3 times to a bore

if you want to just make wick burner, you still need the oil
so even if not planning the engine, you need 10 rods into pipe for the oil alone, one for distiller, one for tarry spot, 5 to gush oil, two for valve jacket into valve and the wick burner, so basically you only save up on cam shaft and crank shaft, and the extra valve and the tank
no point doing it one by one as it uses a whole bucket of water
if you feeling lucky, maybe 3 enough to gush the oil

note that some people make stupid fucking swords out of rods for decoration (i swear is more likely that someone makes a sword the further away you are from any family), so try make 2 new kilns and new bellows and keep an eye on the rods you make

if you got oil and you can process it, then you get the kerosene, then the steps are similar to normal newcommen well
you make a cistern to hold water, this is quite essential as people will deplete fully and then you got to go to ponds to fill bucket and harder to restart

the difference is that you don't need charcoal if you got kerosene
you just dump back a water, then click with kero, then light it up
this makes it logical to make a new fire near the kero newcommen and just repeat until you can, btw you will need more cisterns to deplete it fully
at least 2 cisterns

if all is true, then you got 20 uses on 95%, which is basically 2 extra buckets each run plus the convenience of not needing to burn kindling and transport charcoal
kerosene has 6 uses (i remembered 8, was it nerfed?)
so you will need 3-4 tanks of it
and you will produce 4 buckets of water each run so you need to store 80 buckets of water which is 9 cisterns
by this time probably berries go dry and you can plant a lot of stuff to use it, but still, you need to have like 3 cisterns to make it faster

this goes the same as newcommen, when you deplete a well, you can move to next
only that if oil runs out then you better off with using in an engine than wasting into kero pump

also make sure people don't take out the wick burner when the pump is dry
so always take out 4 buckets and put back the 5th

generally just gather stone, gather limestone, make cistern if you see 5-6 soil piles in a spot, it will worth it
you can always pickaxe a  cistern, and use a new palster to make a new one
you will always need a cistern near each new spring so gather 20 stone per spring

i can see that if someone can make oil then prepping for engine is quite the same as prepping for wick burner
it can stil lworth it, lets say a chick gonna run out to make an outpost (not in the box, that's dumb)
and then they got a bit of advantage if they take some kerosene with them
now you can eve ntake kero to bowls and make full or empty tanks with it so there is that

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2019-07-29 10:16:59

sigmen4020

Okay I'll continue from where I left off and show how diesel engine is made.

In most cases you make it for the purpose of a diesel well so I'll include the pump valve in this guide.

Once you know how to operate the Newcomen multitool making a diesel is fairly straightforward as long as you know the order of operations. As I covered the operation of the Newcomen multitool earlier I'll make a comprehensive list of the order of operations.

You need 19 steel and 1 iron bar for the kerosene well

1. Run a forge and produce a can (Hit wrought bar three times)
2. Run a forge and hammer. Get the following:
  - 1 Large Pulley (hit three times on hammer)
  - 1 Small Pulley (hit two times on hammer)
  - 10 pistons (hit once on hammer)
  - To produce this, you will probably need to run the hammer 3 times, 2 if you are fast.
3. Run a forge and roller. Get the following:
  - 7 rods (hit once on roller)
  - This run will take either one or two runs depending on your efficiency and your forge setup.
4. Run the bore. Get the following:
  - 1 Pump valve jacket (Rod hit twice on the bore)
  - 4 pipes (Rod hit once on the bore)
  - 2 cylinders (Piston hit once on the bore)
  - This run should hope only take one run since the forge is unnecessary here. But don't sweat it if it takes more.
5. Run the lathe. Get the following:
  - 6 valves (Piston hit twice on the lathe)
  - 2 precision pistons (Piston hit once on the lathe)
  - 2 precision cylinder (Cylinder hit once on the lathe)
  - 2 fuel nozzle bodies (Pipe hit once on the lathe)
  - 1 crank shaft (Rod hit twice on the lathe)
  - 1 cam shaft (Rod hit once on the lathe)
  - This run is long and will probably take either 2 or 3 rounds of the lathe

Alright now to assemble the components.
1. Assemble a pulley (Small and big pulley on a long shaft)
2. Acquire a raw rubber tire
3. Use the rubber tire on the pullet to get a raw belt
4. Cook it in the oven
5. Cut the belt with a knife to get a timing belt (this is what you need for the engine)
6. Attach the timing belt to the pulley
7. Attach the cam shaft to the pulley
8. Combine 2 valves with the 2 fuel nozzle bodies (Gets you 2 injection nozzles)
9. Insert 2 valves into each of the precision cylinders.
10. Now insert the injection nozzles into the 2 cylinders with valves
11. Now add the precision pistons to them (Gets you two piston heads)
12. Combine the two piston heads together
13. Add the crank shaft to the piston heads (gets you crank assembly)
14. Use the pulley from earlier on the crank assembly (gets you drive assembly)
15. Insert a pipe in the can you made at the beginning
16. Use this can with a pipe on the drive assembly
17. Now your diesel engine is complete. Last steps relates to the diesel well
18. Insert the pump valve from earlier into an exhausted well
19. Now add the diesel engine to the well
20. Now you have a diesel well. To operate it you just use a can of kerosene on the well. It will then run for some time and after
      that you have seven buckets of water ready.

The advantage to a diesel well compared to a kerosene Newcomen well is the output. You effectively get 4 buckets of water each time with a kerosene Newcomen (Since you really oughta put the last bucket back in) and 7 buckets from the Diesel well. Another advantage to the Diesel well is that it doesn't have a chance of breaking. A Newcomen well has a risk of breaking at 5 % with each use.

Hopefully that helped. There are more high tech stuff to make like the radio, camera etc., but these items are mostly luxury toys rather than needed tech. Once you have a Diesel well up and running you're pretty much good. Of course since one of the recent updates added a chance for the oil rig to break at 5 % with each use you can have to get more oil from a different tarry spot. If you are having problem I refer to my previous post.

Hopefully this all helped. I might consider adding images to these posts to help reference what I'm talking about.

#9 2019-07-30 03:31:54

Morti

This thread might be handy:

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4821

ryanb wrote:
DIESEL ENGINE GUIDE

The Diesel Engine is currently used to craft the Diesel Water Pump and Crude Car. It is expensive to craft, but the resulting objects are pretty powerful.

obj_2365.png

Prerequisites

Make sure you have the following:

• 17 Steel Ingots (+2 for the water pump)
• 1 Empty Fuel Tank
• 1 Raw Rubber Tire (+4 for car)
• a Multipurpose Newcomen Engine near a Forge
• at least 7 Baskets of Charcoal
• at least 4 Buckets of Water, I recommend a full Cistern nearby.

You will also need the 4 attachments that work with the multipurpose engine:

Crude Piston on Flat Rock
Roller Mechanism
Bore Mechanism
Lathe Mechanism

The Bore and Lathe can share the same Pully Drive Mechanism by swapping out the heads.

obj_2280.png

Newcomen Roller

First setup the Newcomen Roller. Like all newcomen engines, it only stays firing for 20 seconds. Since the forge lasts for 30 seconds so it is better to light the forge first. Once they are both firing, pick up a steel ingot in wooden tongs, heat it in the forge, then roll it into steel rods. Do a couple extra if you're making a water pump.

5 Hot Steel Ingots in Tongs
→ 5 Steel Rods (1 hit)

2 Hot Steel Ingots in Tongs (if doing water pump)
→ 2 Steel Rods (1 hit)

obj_2240.png

Newcomen Hammer

With the Newcomen Hammer and forge, do the following:

12 Hot Steel Ingots in Tongs
→ 10 Steel Piston Blanks (1 hit)
→ 1 Small Pulley (2 hits)
→ 1 Large Pulley (3 hits)

It may take a few tries to get make all of these, but after that you're done with the hammer and forge.

obj_2270.png

Newcomen Bore

Using the Newcomen Bore, apply the following:

2 Steel Piston Blanks
→ 2 Steel Cylinder Blanks (1 hit)

3 Steel Rods
→ 3 Steel Pipes (1 hit)

2 Steel Rods (if doing water pump)
→ 1 Steel Pipe (1 hit)
→ 1 Pump Valve Jacket (2 hits)

obj_2359.png

Newcomen Lathe

Fire up the Newcomen Lathe and apply the following:

2 Steel Rods
→ 1 Cam Shaft (1 hit)
→ 1 Crank Shaft (2 hits)

2 Steel Cylinder Blanks
→ 2 Precision Cylinders (1 hit)

2 Steel Pipes
→ 2 Fuel Nozzle Body (1 hit)

8 Steel Piston Blanks
→ 2 Precision Pistons (1 hit)
→ 6 Steel Valves (2 hits)

That's it for the difficult timing part. Now you can craft everything together.

obj_2384.png

Cam Timing Assembly

1. Put the Large Pulley on a Long Straight Shaft, and then add the Small Pulley.
2. Apply the Raw Rubber Tire to get the Raw Rubber Belt and then cook that in a Hot Adobe Oven
3. Cut the belt with a Knife and add to the construction.
4. Add a Cam Shaft to complete your Cam Timing Assembly

obj_2376.png

Diesel Piston Head

Make 2 of these:

1. Add two Steel Valves to a Precision Cylinder
2. Add Steel Valve to Fuel Nozzle Body and then add to the previous cylinder
3. Add Precision Piston to make the Diesel Piston Head

obj_2365.png

Diesel Engine

1. Combine the two Diesel Piston Heads
2. Add the Crank Shaft and then the Cam Timing Assembly
3. Add a Steel Pipe to a Fuel Tank and combine with the previous construction

Pat yourself on the back, you just finished the Diesel Engine! Now what do you want to do with it?

obj_2388.png

Diesel Water Pump

1. Combine the Steel Pipe with Pump Valve Jacket
2. Add that to a Dry Shallow Well
3. Add the Diesel Engine
4. Add Kerosone to start

The pump will give you 7 buckets of water and only uses 1 Kerosene to refill.

obj_2395.png

Crude Car

1. Cook 4 Raw Rubber Tires in a Hot Adobe Oven
2. Combine with 4 Wooden Wheels (Butt Log + Bow Saw + Flint-tipped Bow Drill)
3. Combine wheels into sets of 2 and then all together
4. Make a Wooden Box (Butt Log + Froe + Mallet + Rope)
5. Add wheels and Diesel Engine to box
6. Add Kerosone to start

The car will run for two minutes and you will be invincible while driving. Minimum driving age is 16. You travel 3 times the walking speed while driving, it's fast!

Board footer