One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-07-29 16:49:29

Mr meeseeks

Re: Slave cages are the new griefing, personal property taking a sick turn

I think it's hilarious. Why take these things so seriously? Sounds like an interesting life.

I'm Mr Meeseeks look at me.

#27 2019-07-29 17:12:20

Potjeh

jasonrohrer wrote:

How many features of this game have never existed before in the history of multiplayer computer games?

--Other cultures speaking a different learnable language, and going through the process of radical translation as a player.

--YUM chains to actually motivate a varied diet.

- WoW
- Haven&Hearth

#28 2019-07-29 17:21:53

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Wait, what?

Wow has yum chains?

WOW has other players speaking other languages that you can actually learn over time?

Oh, you mean REAL-WORLD languages?  Like Japanese players that you run into?

I thought H&H has a full-blown simulated nutrition system...

#29 2019-07-29 17:50:44

Saolin

jasonrohrer wrote:

AmberA, please come back soon.

Tool-geek, I'm working on it!

Gonna be the best game ever..... but that's no easy task.  There will be MANY more huge bumps along the road to greatness.  So buckle up!

How many features of this game have never existed before in the history of multiplayer computer games?

--Getting born as a baby.
--Having family members (aunts, uncles, cousins, grandkids)
--Getting named by your mother, and having named family lines
--A family tree browser
--Saying goodbye and the end of your short life and passing your stuff on to the next generation
--Other cultures speaking a different learnable language, and going through the process of radical translation as a player.
--A consensual homesteading system, and inheritable property
--A player-triggered apocalypse with the power to reset the entire world
--A grand arc that the whole world goes through, from times of wild plenty, through booming civilization, through inevitable decay and end times (what I'm working on right now).

So that's 10 major features that are each crazy, innovative experiments.  Who knew, ahead of time, that any of this would even work at all?  On paper, it's a game that doesn't work!  Everyone said that trolls would kill all their own babies, so good luck with this dumb game, dude.

So this game is nothing but the product of crazy, bold experimentation.

And that experimentation will continue.  Endlessly, as long as I'm working on this game.  Don't expect it to stop.  Why would you want it to stop?

This is clearly what you paid for.  You can't watch that trailer and NOT see a game that dares to try something totally new.

BTW.... you've all had the rift for 4 days now.  4 days out of 465 that the game has been running.  That's less than 1% of the days.  99% of the days did not have the rift.  AND THE WORLD IS ENDING, GAME IS DEAD, JASON SUX.

THE DRAMA!

I get it, though, b/c this game is so friggin' great and you're all so invested.  That's good.  The drama is good.  It's not boring.

And that's my job.  I'm the not-boring man.

Were the past four days the most boring 1% of days in OHOL?  God, how many pages of Discord, I can't even scroll back.  You guys are bored out of your minds!  It's like watching paint dry, this whole OHOL thing.  Game is totally stalled.  Dev is lazy.  Game hasn't had an update in months.

No wait, game is changing every week in interesting and tantalizing and thought-provoking ways.  This is actually the most exciting and varied and interesting development process IN THE HISTORY OF VIDEO GAMES.  I'm not joking here.  If you don't believe me, go back through the weekly update history news posts.  Then find me another game that had this much interesting stuff happen in 15 months.

And on top of that, it's all being done by one guy.  Just one guy, working alone.  EVERY PEN LINE A SUPREME ACT OF WILL.

And on top of that, I'm having the time of my life!

So thank you, all of you, for making this possible.  You've all made my wildest dreams come true.

No one thinks you're lazy. And your game does have a lot of unique features, that's what was so appealing about it. The thing is you seem to be pushing it more in a direction to be more like others: just another PvP game. With the most minimalistic combat mechanics to ensure that the PvP element isn't even interesting.

#30 2019-07-29 18:12:03

arkajalka

Saolin wrote:

No one thinks you're lazy. And your game does have a lot of unique features, that's what was so appealing about it. The thing is you seem to be pushing it more in a direction to be more like others: just another PvP game. With the most minimalistic combat mechanics to ensure that the PvP element isn't even interesting.

Exactly this!

Love this game and hate to see it go in a opposite direction than that what i fell in love with.

Yap people have gone pretty harsh on the feed back, but its only cause they care so much of this game. It was/is something refreshing and new. Farmville battleroyale, diminishing resourses and one hit pvp with hackers(modders)is directly opposite of what i actually enjoy.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#31 2019-07-29 18:23:22

Potjeh

jasonrohrer wrote:

Wait, what?

Wow has yum chains?

WOW has other players speaking other languages that you can actually learn over time?

Oh, you mean REAL-WORLD languages?  Like Japanese players that you run into?

I thought H&H has a full-blown simulated nutrition system...

WoW has Horde/Alliance language filters, and it's actually possible to learn the other faction's language because the filter is consistent. KEK is LOL in Horde language.

In H&H you need to get number of food points equal to your highest stat to gain a stat point, but for each unique food you eat between two stat gains the points requirement is reduced by ( 2 * sqrt(maxStat * 10) / 10.

#32 2019-07-29 18:47:58

Amon

there was a game made by a single person called Impressive Title, iirc it was originally a single player campaign made for the guy's friend?. in 2008 iirc? Servers of this game still exist today and are quite popular. Considering the amount of servers, them together probably have more players than OHOL i think.

Later a multiplayer version was made, it was popular.

While such features were not supported as in ohol, it had LINEAGES, MOTHERS, FATHERS, UNCLES, GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GRANDPARENTS. While no in game feature existed for it. Some offsite forums made their OWN lineage and species browsers by hand registering members of a bloodline, sometimes even scouring out the most obscure of lost relatives! All by the players! Because they wanted such a feature!

There were complex organisations and you could make groups.There were different multi generation lineages with some persisting till today as charaters (even though the games are long dead) aka, The donovans , faire, Abraxas.
People had wara between groups, healthy drama was routinely ecouraged in later server interations. (the game was originally shut down but private servers popped up)
There was war, there was drama, there was love and there were families. The organisations had complex social heriarchies including spies, warriors, hunters...

And what's the catch?
It was a 3D game with minimal pve content, whichsupported 0 (except forming a group) of these features were supported through gameplay.
'wars were pretend'
'fightswere pretend'
'bloodlines were pretend'
'people willingly 'died' and retired and deleted characters to account for age and casualities'
most conflict was usually preplanned but regardless of it...it was fun.

Any troublemakers were dealt with ... you can just ban people and poof. The players literally made their own game out if the game. Now isn't this brilliant?

So yeah. There were games with family and drama. No civilisation raising tough...Since everyone was a... LION!

Last edited by Amon (2019-07-29 18:58:29)

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#33 2019-07-29 18:54:44

Amon

On top of that.
Mother-father and child relationships were genuine in IT. The children would play with eachother and the mothers would spend their time dotting their babies as dad comes home with a fresh kill.
Again...features unsupported, but the players made them so.

Art!!

#34 2019-07-29 18:59:09

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Seem to glaze over the extreme anger that has been most of the community messages. Yes we all are invested in this game but this update doesn't feel like OHOL. Cities we build are gone in 15 hours. Families are all destroyed leaving only one. The end game is a slow death of lack of resources. The only hope is escape, but wait. Living outside doesn't count. It will all be reset if we leave to survive.

I have hope it will be better, but this is really rough. It's only been fun because we're breaking your game, we're outside and we're living well! The people on the outside were doing so well we air dropped in rations because we felt so bad for them and we want to stay outside. We're fighting the reset to enjoy the game as we once knew it. No raiders, and no limited resources.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#35 2019-07-29 19:02:40

arkajalka

What if you are not free and you are just inside a more bigger rift?
the riftception

Last edited by arkajalka (2019-07-29 19:03:04)

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#36 2019-07-29 19:03:18

Amon

I'm still very positive that the update is opening a nice gateway for the future.
But Jason just has to iron out the issues, the issues that were present in the infinite world but only now go potented to such a degree that it causes massive issues.
Also including the rampant griefing not being as rampant and giving us better tools to deal with them.
And such changes take time to do...just on how many there are.

Art!!

#37 2019-07-29 20:06:31

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Hadn't heard of Impressive Title before... but doesn't sound like you're a baby when you join the game.  Sounds like a standard MMO format where you design your own character and then spawn in.

Never knew that KEK came from the WOW language system, but it sounds like it's just a blind cluster cypher, right?  And a total gibberish one, where the result is not even readable as another language?

https://www.ownedcore.com/forums/world- … tions.html

My point is that WOW was like the biggest, most-well funded game in the universe at the time, and even they kinda phoned it in compared to the amount of thought and finesse that I put into my language system (making it actually pronounceable, and not just a cluster cipher), and also allowing babies to learn the language slowly over time, through gradual exposure, and speak with an accent when their learning is incomplete.

And that language system was just ONE of the 64 updates that you've gotten so far.

#38 2019-07-29 20:16:58

Peaches

jasonrohrer wrote:

*snip*

--Getting born as a baby.
--Having family members (aunts, uncles, cousins, grandkids)
--Getting named by your mother, and having named family lines
--A family tree browser
--Saying goodbye and the end of your short life and passing your stuff on to the next generation
--A consensual homesteading system, and inheritable property
--A player-triggered apocalypse with the power to reset the entire world
--A grand arc that the whole world goes through, from times of wild plenty, through booming civilization, through inevitable decay and end times (what I'm working on right now).

*snip*

I'm going to ignore the rest of the post for a moment, Jason, and point out... that you're wrong about being the first!
A lot of that was done by Faerie Tale Online (which is text based, more RP oriented, much slower, and managed by a rather conceited/controlling man) some years ago.

Its crafting trees can be as complex as OHOL's and one game day lasts 12 real life hours with 12 days in a year, rather than an hour being a year. Different races live longer or shorter lives. Information about the game world is scarce outside of private circles, as it was a bannable offense to share details out of the game. It's still running to this day and was the main reason I was so interested in playing OHOL when I first heard of it being developed, as the player base slowed down significantly.

Different languages weren't a mechanic, they were created by your family's players (if they wanted) and potentially learned by you, the player. Other races rarely interacted enough for any of it to come into play outside of your own family's roleplay. Babies, of course, could not speak until they reached adulthood.

I remember being a dwarf girl, a mix of two different races in fact, and struggling with ostracization. My brother took after the minority and was kicked out, coming back later to murder our parents. There were no griefers in the game, due to the slow burn nature of it, and the player was well liked among the group even after the fact. Murders were rare and always for a reason. A friend lived a life as a mer-person who's village was set upon by some of the roaming animals in the game, forcing them to become nomads in search of a suitable home in the ocean. She was separated and lived to old age by herself, calling into the ocean in the hopes of finding them again. Another life I lived as a beggar lizard-boy in a desert, my family left without me one day and I wandered for three days before starving.

I enjoy both games for the same reasons, of course, but I felt so much more connected to my family in FTO than I do in OHOL. When my mother died in FTO, I did mourn. When she dies in OHOL, I don't even realize. I enjoyed this game when I began playing it in January and will admit to not having the time in the past week or two, but I found myself enjoying it less lately. I don't really understand why, as I had no true issues with any of the updates. It's... odd. Burnout, maybe?

I know when I began, I saw a lot more roleplay happening in OHOL, which I loved, but lately it's all silent work. Nobody talks. My daughters don't come to me with plans to tame horses. My sons don't check on me. They don't respond when I greet them. The game got more impersonal; people don't want to talk in game, they want to make planes with the Discord. I can only assume everyone else is voice chatting and I'm the odd one out, playing with no mods and no interest in meta contact?

But I'm going on a tangent.

What I'm saying is, you might have a kindred soul in that developer. He seems to have chilled out over the years and would probably enjoy your project.

Last edited by Peaches (2019-07-29 20:38:06)

The Frank to your Cleopatra

#39 2019-07-29 20:24:02

Amon

Mhm, though people would circumvent this by making their characters super small and combine various body parts and colours from the parents, mix and match while trying to stay unique smile And then change size as they grow up.

But yes, I think along with Ohol... and Webeart online is also a game that that juxtaposed raising with other survival elements in the game. Players time and time proved that such a feature is desired, plus meaningful storytelling.

In webearth online...
Iirc correctly you could pick being born as an animal and that choice was limited by how many animals were currently pregnant/roosting. I remember being killed by my parents in some species a lot.? Wow I haven't played this in years, probably a decade.

Last edited by Amon (2019-07-29 20:28:01)

Art!!

#40 2019-07-29 20:45:43

Peaches

I just cant stay away from editing my posts to add paragraphs, can I?

But seriously Jason, you're doing a wonderful job. I entertained the idea of working on games (really, just 3D modeling) years ago and the whole thing came crashing down on me in the learning phase, I've abandoned dreams past retail; you're making this work all on your own at near twice my age and with a family to take care of. You're some kind of super human! Our criticisms come from a place of love for your game.

Last edited by Peaches (2019-07-29 20:47:16)

The Frank to your Cleopatra

#41 2019-07-29 20:46:52

Potjeh

Them moving goalposts. But I'm sure one could find an older game with an even more involved language system. Nihil novi sub sole.

Board footer