One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-29 02:39:10

AmberA

Slave cages are the new griefing, personal property taking a sick turn

So the Hammer family has a cage (far south and slightly west from one of their cities), it's a huge property fence owned by a very limited number of people that are on discord. It has farms and some things, big enough so that people can live there. BUT if you aren't among the few to have access then you are trapped inside. Children born to you are trapped.

They call it the slave cage. They call it a human zoo. If you are trapped inside, they bring people to the door and laugh at you and your trapped family.

I died inside with Edith Hammer laughing at us all as we were trapped. There was maybe a dozen people trapped inside, kids were born trapped. I was reborn and saw Edith's daughter so I befriended her and she took me to the cage.

I stayed quiet the whole time with the intention to free all those trapped. I quickly found a bow and arrow and killed the owner and the door broke. Unfortunately a few bad people were still left alive and they started rebuilding the cage door and then stabbed me.

I hate this game more and more.

Last edited by AmberA (2019-07-29 02:52:03)

#2 2019-07-29 02:47:17

Tarr
Banned

Re: Slave cages are the new griefing, personal property taking a sick turn

In the words of Jason.

If they didn't do all these terrible things you couldn't enjoy the game. Now that you've experienced slavery you just need genocide, racism and rape roleplay so you can truly enjoy all the things ohol has to offer you.

Soon enough you'll be able to open your eyes and see the glaring flaws aren't flaws at all, just things that make you enjoy all the happy moments even more.

fug it’s Tarr.

#3 2019-07-29 03:03:20

RodneyC86

This is why my heart sinks into darkness deeper every day.

#4 2019-07-29 03:15:57

RodneyC86

Why don't good people ever band together though?

#5 2019-07-29 03:30:05

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

It takes 2 mins for a gate to be repaired, how did not even one fertile female get out? They can't stab you all.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#6 2019-07-29 03:38:05

jasonrohrer
Administrator

When I conceived of this game, long ago, I had a long list of possible human stories that would hopefully emerge from it, stuff like:

--Being born to a poor family in the wilderness
--Being abandoned as a baby and getting adopted by a kind stranger
--Being born to a rich merchant family in a bustling city
--Being abandoned as a baby and starving to death
--Inheriting a family bakery from your dying grandmother.
--Being abandoned as a baby and getting taken in by an orphanage
--Being born to a nomadic family and spending your entire life on journey
--Being born as the child of a slave

People will do what people will do, inside this game and outside of it.  There are still slaves in real life, political prisoners, child laborers, etc.  If you have any products in your house that are made in China, or if you ever eat shrimp, you are complicit in those REAL atrocities.  I know I certainly am.

And you really think I have the power to keep such things out of my FICTIONAL GAME?

Or that it's a huge moral problem for anything at all to happen in the context of a fictional game?  It's not real.  There are no slaves in this game, because there are no real people in this game.  There are slaves in Star Wars too, but not real slaves.

This isn't a sign of any huge flaw or "down turn" in OHOL.  It's just another interesting wrinkle in a multi-faceted world where anything can happen.  You were born as a slave.

Wait, holy crap, you were born as a slave?  That's friggin awesome, right?

I mean, how many hours have you played so far, maybe hundreds, and this was one of your stories?  And you led a slave revolt and almost rescued everyone?

Are you kidding me?  That sounds like a plot to a great movie, not a dumb old video game.  Wow, I want to play that game.  What game is that again?

#7 2019-07-29 04:37:51

ollj

happy torture time!

#8 2019-07-29 04:40:52

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

It sounds cool when you romanticize it like that, but what it really is is a concentration camp. People are trapped in a very small area with no freedom to leave, food is very limited, and attempted escapes mean death.

Kids are left to starve because feeding them means less food for you, and the death of everyone. You're only slaves to yourself and your food bar. The people who own the gate are just keeping you in.

AKA This shit is boring. People can't live in a box forever and most will just /die or starve themselves to avoid a pointless hopeless life of nothingness. Being able to do things is what makes lives memorable and endlessly tending berries isn't.

Say no to concentration camps, and say no to the romantizing of them.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#9 2019-07-29 04:51:12

RodneyC86

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

It sounds cool when you romanticize it like that, but what it really is is a concentration camp. People are trapped in a very small area with no freedom to leave, food is very limited, and attempted escapes mean death.

Kids are left to starve because feeding them means less food for you, and the death of everyone. You're only slaves to yourself and your food bar. The people who own the gate are just keeping you in.

AKA This shit is boring. People can't live in a box forever and most will just /die or starve themselves to avoid a pointless hopeless life of nothingness. Being able to do things is what makes lives memorable and endlessly tending berries isn't.

Say no to concentration camps, and say no to the romantizing of them.

Agree to nearly a full extent. Though.... What way does Jason give the slaves the potential to break free?  Without help from outsiders

#10 2019-07-29 06:00:02

jasonrohrer
Administrator

And then you go on hunger strike, and then in like 30 seconds you're born elsewhere.

They can only keep a slave colony if the slaves cooperate by breeding in there, right?

Then you get born outside, and make it your life's mission to free the others.  And because the world is small enough to traverse, you actually have a chance to do this.

That sounds like a fine and interesting and specifically NOT boring game to me.

There are plenty of issues with the rift enclosure, but a slave camp is NOT one of them.

(And there was nothing stopping people from having slave camps before, and there's nothing about the rift that specifically enables our encourages that all of a sudden.... and they did have slave camps before, from time to time.)

#11 2019-07-29 06:11:15

pein

i mean even if you could hit a fence 500 times with a sharp stone which was hidden in your butthole, would make better story than befriending your owners then shoot the current guard to free people, like it will happen again ? doubt it
they gonna screen people even more

jason we don't enjoy being in small places and limited on what we can do

ironically the people who could make shit work, wont want to make shit work
cause that means you are a different kidn of slave. the one who works his ass off for others who would starve in minutes, and none of your efforts are thanked at all, they wil lcurse and stab you like anyone and they expect you to give them clothes and food for a life

once i was in a camp and i seen that we don't really  have iron and we don't have tools made other than an axe and hammer
and we don't have any branches left
i seen that soil is running out
i seen that food is runnign out
a granny was feeding everyone and people chatting around, we had skins, wolf hats so i don't doubt a few people worked before i came
but soon all hell break lose when all those girls grown
and i made tools

and i picked off corn and let it dry
and poor granny was desperate to feed them and i told her to make popcorn
she made it and finally people started to care, they knew if they don't work they die
and then they watered bushes from far pond waters, and they collected wild food

and 10 min later all of them died

and the chick who complained that i don't farm, well i taught her how to make carts and buckets and how much faster is to farm that way

the game is teachign you to be cruel to survive
it's math, it's not optimism or a bit of stretch
2 kids eat 2x more than 1 and if one person doesn't work, someone else needs to do her job
and as long as picking up a knife is same thing as making one, who want to make it?

this is the problem, nothing ever motivates people to do stuff vs not do stuff

i am guilty as well, i will pick up ropes and i will take iron to personal projects, but generally my work will justify it
but there are tons of people who do nothing but leach on food, leach on resources and laught at you

i had kids who were compete new but got me resources and enjoyed that i assemble it and we were growing

but too many people play the newbee card and tell you fuck off when you ask them to do something, they even kill you rather than get a branch and cut to kindling

there is no personal property and there is no status
they cal lyou old goose fucker after you keep them alive for a whole hour, feed their mom and grind trough hardship

there is no xp system, skill system, you even ruined the only thing left as advantage, the speed and reactio ntime someone has to dodge a shot/stab and retaliate

the reason there are griefers is because is much easier to leach on others and ruin stuff than to do it yourself
and gues what, chatting and stealing makes more friends than working a whole life

someone who tries to kill you then runs away will keep you locked down and keeps you in fear when he gonan return, you can guard a whole life but he will run away again and return later other side
if you lock yourself in a fence then he will lock you inside, and inside threat is more likely than outside threat

this are major problems never getting fixed cause you don't recognize them as a problem

do stuff=get rewarded
don't do stuff=get punished

if you want trade then we need personal ownership of a few things like cars, horses, weapons, other stuff
so at least you can motivate people by offering stuff for their work

even if a kid would get you 10 branches just to get a piece of clothing for you, would make the game better
cause right now, people eat half of the stock before decidign what they gonna work on, and generally they make bad choices, nobody needs
i seen people set on smithing when the cmap had zero iron
and i seen rp doctors making their + shape boards and begging for apron and knife
when a 8 year old kid can start a war
and an elder who worked a whole life has no say in it, then you cant expect people to trade and war and cooperate
there is no reason to not steal stuff or to listen to better players

there is no threatening anymore, if you say something to anyone they just kill you and go to next life

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#12 2019-07-29 06:27:04

AmberA

And with a response like that from the dev, I'm done. I'm moving onto better games. OHOL deleted.

Cya

PS no need to reply, I won't be checking.

#13 2019-07-29 06:31:14

BladeWoods

RodneyC86 wrote:

Agree to nearly a full extent. Though.... What way does Jason give the slaves the potential to break free?  Without help from outsiders

The imprisoners have to open the gate to come in. You can wait and run out when they do.

#14 2019-07-29 06:43:51

JackTreehorn

From my experience with the Hammer family. It wasn't so much a slave camp as a town with walls and trusted adults had permission. Perhaps I came at the wrong time and missed it.

Eve Audette

#15 2019-07-29 07:04:16

tool-geek

jasonrohrer wrote:

When I conceived of this game, long ago, I had a long list of possible human stories that would hopefully emerge from it, stuff like:

Wow, I want to play that game.  What game is that again?

Wow,  I want to play THAT game! What game is that?

#16 2019-07-29 07:55:03

Tarr
Banned

tool-geek wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

Wow, I want to play that game.  What game is that again?

Wow,  I want to play THAT game! What game is that?

Dwarf Fortress. lel.

fug it’s Tarr.

#17 2019-07-29 08:31:17

Ein Delone

jasonrohrer wrote:

and there's nothing about the rift that specifically enables our encourages that all of a sudden.... and they did have slave camps before, from time to time.)

From what I heard and witnessed, the slave thing is just one of the many *increasingly* popular trend in this game. Along with baby policing and eve killing, it's obvious to me that *some* mechanism in this game is encouraging player hating each other.

Environment shapes behavior. And game is controlled environment. This game in particular is simulating hardship of mankind, I think, through a very singular lens. Why are there no apples but snakes? No marriages but languages? No boats/bridges but auto-apocalypse? Gritty realism does not exist in this game, only exists the reality the creator wants it to be. So stop using it as excuse, just say you want all Stanford experiment on us, and let players decide if they want to stay or leave.

Lucky for us, no real slaves are harmed in this game, only our tortured psyche and wasted time.

#18 2019-07-29 09:14:33

arkajalka

We are all already in the slave cage aka the rift.

So 16 hours is the max for people to exist in rift atm. Basically you work like a slave for your whole life, but you dont have time or resources to build anything grand. You are just a misserable slave on a berry field min maxing yums and fighting people who have flipped out of their minds. In this 16hours of life you probably have 1 hour where everything is intact and almost good, rest is just strugling with grieffing and hunger.

If the goal for life is to just live as long as possible in a cell then i choose not to live.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#19 2019-07-29 09:36:03

Grim_Arbiter

New griefing?

Me thinks you dont know about the original prison town..

Someone built a giant stone wall that went around the city without anyone batting an eye. Then someone went and locked all the doors and made a "human zoo" or the biodome as I called it.

One time truz made a pretty full jail cell. They managed to teleport pies in and keep them alive while someone worked on freeing them.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#20 2019-07-29 10:15:33

Potjeh

Yeah, this is awesome. We just need to enhance the roleplay by pretending the people on the inside and Palestinians and outside are Israelis. Make sure to stream that shit too.

Last edited by Potjeh (2019-07-29 10:15:40)

#21 2019-07-29 10:23:44

arkajalka

Enhance roleplay by making hanging knots. So i can roam a life after rope then hangmyself. Maybe you could perma maple trees by hanging yourself in them.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#22 2019-07-29 10:30:23

Tarr
Banned

Grim_Arbiter wrote:

New griefing?

Someone built a giant stone wall that went around the city without anyone batting an eye. Then someone went and locked all the doors and made a "human zoo" or the biodome as I called it.

One time truz made a pretty full jail cell. They managed to teleport pies in and keep them alive while someone worked on freeing them.

You're very much misremembering that story Grim. That was me and giedeons apocalypse bunker that was found by a stray Eve after server reset. Those walls were already there and they decided to move inside a place that was primed to be completely locked in and someone just did it for me while the people lived inside.

Kilian did me a favor by locking the place because I honestly figured it was far enough away no one would naturally find it. Prison town wasn't someone very slowly griefing a town but some Eve moving into a place she wasn't welcomed and her lineage by default getting trapped inside.

fug it’s Tarr.

#23 2019-07-29 11:00:11

Grim_Arbiter

Tarr wrote:
Grim_Arbiter wrote:

New griefing?

You're very much misremembering that story Grim. That was me and giedeons apocalypse bunker that was found by a stray Eve after server reset. Those walls were already there and they decided to move inside a place that was primed to be completely locked in and someone just did it for me while the people lived inside.

Kilian did me a favor by locking the place because I honestly figured it was far enough away no one would naturally find it. Prison town wasn't someone very slowly griefing a town but some Eve moving into a place she wasn't welcomed and her lineage by default getting trapped inside.

Ah i was remembering the first post in this thread and actually didn't read that the part where you said it was yours yikes

http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5175

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#24 2019-07-29 15:29:47

Karrots

I feel (sort of?) guilty because last night I was on discord planning this with a few others. Didn't know they would actually do it lmao.

#25 2019-07-29 16:05:28

jasonrohrer
Administrator

AmberA, please come back soon.

Tool-geek, I'm working on it!

Gonna be the best game ever..... but that's no easy task.  There will be MANY more huge bumps along the road to greatness.  So buckle up!

How many features of this game have never existed before in the history of multiplayer computer games?

--Getting born as a baby.
--Having family members (aunts, uncles, cousins, grandkids)
--Getting named by your mother, and having named family lines
--A family tree browser
--Saying goodbye and the end of your short life and passing your stuff on to the next generation
--Other cultures speaking a different learnable language, and going through the process of radical translation as a player.
--A consensual homesteading system, and inheritable property
--A player-triggered apocalypse with the power to reset the entire world
--YUM chains to actually motivate a varied diet.
--A grand arc that the whole world goes through, from times of wild plenty, through booming civilization, through inevitable decay and end times (what I'm working on right now).

So that's 10 major features that are each crazy, innovative experiments.  Who knew, ahead of time, that any of this would even work at all?  On paper, it's a game that doesn't work!  Everyone said that trolls would kill all their own babies, so good luck with this dumb game, dude.

So this game is nothing but the product of crazy, bold experimentation.

And that experimentation will continue.  Endlessly, as long as I'm working on this game.  Don't expect it to stop.  Why would you want it to stop?

This is clearly what you paid for.  You can't watch that trailer and NOT see a game that dares to try something totally new.

BTW.... you've all had the rift for 4 days now.  4 days out of 465 that the game has been running.  That's less than 1% of the days.  99% of the days did not have the rift.  AND THE WORLD IS ENDING, GAME IS DEAD, JASON SUX.

THE DRAMA!

I get it, though, b/c this game is so friggin' great and you're all so invested.  That's good.  The drama is good.  It's not boring.

And that's my job.  I'm the not-boring man.

Were the past four days the most boring 1% of days in OHOL?  God, how many pages of Discord, I can't even scroll back.  You guys are bored out of your minds!  It's like watching paint dry, this whole OHOL thing.  Game is totally stalled.  Dev is lazy.  Game hasn't had an update in months.

No wait, game is changing every week in interesting and tantalizing and thought-provoking ways.  This is actually the most exciting and varied and interesting development process IN THE HISTORY OF VIDEO GAMES.  I'm not joking here.  If you don't believe me, go back through the weekly update history news posts.  Then find me another game that had this much interesting stuff happen in 15 months.

And on top of that, it's all being done by one guy.  Just one guy, working alone.  EVERY PEN LINE A SUPREME ACT OF WILL.

And on top of that, I'm having the time of my life!

So thank you, all of you, for making this possible.  You've all made my wildest dreams come true.

Board footer