One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-27 06:50:20

Dodge

My impressions on the new update. [Maple tree discussion]

I really like how challenging it is right now, most players seem to do their best to survive and contribute to civilisations

It really changes from the "idling", "nothing much to do" vibe i was getting before.

It's slightly too stressful on food, not because of the ammount of ressources but because of how fast it drains when naked, reducing naked/light clothes food drain slightly while at the same time reducing ressources could make it more about strategy, thinking about what should be done and less about being as fast as possible. While having the same risk of running out

It would cause less individual death but at the same time a higher risk of running out, so a higher risk of the entire village dying instead of just continuous individual deaths, but really it's fine currently.

The major issue i noticed is that maple trees are systematically being cut down, this is a real issue and the options to prevent this are not good and unbalanced currently.

You could say just protect them with a fence but realistically it's not something that can really be achieved in a practical way, you would have to fence a lot of them, take a big ammount of space, fence would take a lifetime to do etc..

The problem here is it's way unbalanced on how easy it is to cut trees and prevent someone to cut them, by the time you say "STOP" and make a bow or get a knife, all the maples are already cut down and the offender going to the next village with his axe.

Irl it takes a lot of time and effort to cut down a tree especially with an axe, it's not something that you can do easily or in a few seconds (yes one second is probably several hours but i'm talking from a gameplay perspective)

Some of my ideas:

Loud sound when someone cutting a tree, maybe yelling "TIMBER!!!" when the tree falls or sound when tree falling on the ground

Could have a discreet direction indicator for loud noise similar to when someone is murdered, but maybe more subtle like a sound wave looking thing of a brief flash.

Cutting tree takes time with a cutting animation maybe so you cant chain cut trees

Cutting a tree costs food for the effort (could slow down tree cutting but also make the person cutting tree use more food)

Maybe you get exhausted after doing labor intensive work (like cutting a tree) so you need to rest by doing less physical work. (prevents chain cutting trees, tree cutter has to drop the axe to get food at some point)

Other than that having non lethal weapons like a bone club could help to prevent that sorts of thing but it can be used by both sides so that's the issue, ideally only one or two person hitting you wouldn't be an issue but if the whole village starts hitting someone then they made a decision and this would be lethal for the person getting hit.

And why not bare fists?

Shift+right click with no objects in hands

No need to craft anything, easily accessible and if the whole village hits one particular person then it becomes lethal.

But just one person hitting you would have almost no effect.

Yes there could be some issues with this notably twins,trips,quads but the idea could be polished to work.

#2 2019-07-27 07:51:49

Tarr
Banned

Re: My impressions on the new update. [Maple tree discussion]

Put up fences along every grassland ever. This is a game about dealing with griefers over anything else and if you aren't playing solely for that purpose you aren't playing the game right.

No support. Fences only, no need for anything else.

Last edited by Tarr (2019-07-27 08:06:22)

fug it’s Tarr.

#3 2019-07-27 08:05:03

Amon

Here nature does not regrow.
In three years you already have a small wild tree, in a span of a generation you have an adult tree. that's 20-30 years.
In ohol there is no such thing...Trees are forever gone.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#4 2019-07-27 11:20:47

ollj

i predicted and warned that its VERY easy to cut all trees of any one type in a 200 tile radius within 4 lifes on your own.
this seems to have spread over most of jasons prison camp by now.

ignorance is a suicide.

#5 2019-07-27 11:21:00

RodneyC86

Tarr wrote:

Put up fences along every grassland ever. This is a game about dealing with griefers over anything else and if you aren't playing solely for that purpose you aren't playing the game right.

No support. Fences only, no need for anything else.

Keeper of the maple grove has a nice ring to it

#6 2019-07-27 11:21:50

ollj

the game is not challenging now, its just completely broken random nonsense.

donkey town is a paradise now.
this should tell you how much broken nonsense there is in the core ghameplay.

#7 2019-07-27 11:30:27

Lava

As our nomadic group went across the whole map we cam across like two maple trees. They were all cut down. smh

#8 2019-07-27 11:42:27

Booklat1

The best idea right now to slow spam cutting of maple trees is disabling cutting while they still have a branch. Taking off the branch causes not only the griefer to stop before cutting the tree but also to drop the axe. Its a simple change that takes no new gimmicks

Juniper trees might become a target for griefs but then tinder could just work somewhat more like branches and needles (but respawning faster)

Other than that, we need an universal working curse system

Last edited by Booklat1 (2019-07-27 11:43:05)

#9 2019-07-27 12:18:11

pein

the mango version would work, you need some soil on mapple to produce branch once you picked one off
and that would prevent cutting as well

honestly, when fences can block anything after 20 min, no one would block you with trees that grow so long

btw some trees like pine and rubber could grow faster, even irl, most of pine is planted to be cut down and it grows faster
but just overall buff to planting trees would be nice, like 20 min watering, water again and grows at 60 min, you still wont see it so you do it for the kids

the energy bar would make sense and would make foods more distinct
the processed cooked food could give more energy, cutting stone and wood could take more energy, and to replenish you would need time or high energy food
this would make teaching more viable as you would need the extra energy bar from other players
either, tree cutting could be 2 player job, so one holds a wood chisel and the other cuts
but really, just multiple hits would be better
i get that jason refuses hp bar for people but things should have durability
as much he adores Rust, he never introduces features from it that actually work, like multiple chops on trees

btw the idea of this small boxes wont work cause the map is still the same with same spawn rates
actually, it would work if the spawn rates are higher so we barely got free tiles and we need to cut our way out to different parts of map

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#10 2019-07-27 12:21:46

Whatever

Suggestion:

Make it so tree saplings need to be watered in 5 min again instead of 30 min
A wet sapling cutting only needs 5 min to grow into dry sappling isntead of 30

#11 2019-07-27 12:31:51

Booklat1

I'm not convinced we need better replanting or extra costs for branch production

Fast growth causes balance issues regarding wood production and still isn't useful early game because we need shears to produce saplings. Idk if shears before axes is a viable meta at all. And if we have no ax and shovel, what stops people from spamming trees to block tiles?

I don't think pein's idea fixes it either. Sure, we could soil trees to protect them but isnt it easier to just make all trees harder to chop in the first place? And do we give up free branch respawn?

Think about it, you'll always have to drop your axe to chop trees if its the first time they're interacted with, and they'll always have their first branches picked, thus adding at least one extra kindling to the world whenever someone griefs a tree.

All it takes is for Jason to literally remove one recipe for each of the trees. He could do it in minutes, i bet most of you could even change something like this in the code.

Last edited by Booklat1 (2019-07-27 12:32:48)

#12 2019-07-27 14:33:12

pein

i mean a tree with a branch could be blocked
picking off branch would add 5 min still blocked, then it could be cut
not like you really have to cut maples
and a griefer wont pick off branches then wait and return to all trees normally

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#13 2019-07-27 16:05:41

bunny

Lava wrote:

As our nomadic group went across the whole map we cam across like two maple trees. They were all cut down. smh

i protected saplings to grow for 3 lifetimes...

#14 2019-07-27 16:14:53

Morti

You know what I liked most, about Maple trees, seeing their little helicopter seeds, swept off by a strong breeze.

#15 2019-07-27 16:33:07

BladeWoods

A more out there suggestion: Spawning more trees. You know like how trees grow in real life without humans planting them. New saplings could randomly appear and grow into trees in grasslands if there's not many other trees around. Maybe trees could eventually get old and die too. Perhaps the same could be done with other things like milkweed. Slow process, not to be a good source of resources, but just to prevent areas from becoming permanently inhabitable by resource destruction. And it would make the world much more alive.

Requiring the branch to be taken off before the tree can be chopped is a good suggestion. A griefer could cut the straight shaft into kindling too but that's at least another use of the axe.

The axe could have a pickup age higher than 3. 3 year olds can chop trees?

Cutting down a tree could take a few seconds instead of being an instant transition.

There could be more steps to cutting down a tree. For example if you had to stake a tree first (idk why youd have to but), then it would take longer and you'd have more to carry around if you wanted to go on a tree-icide spree.

Maple trees could be made more common.

Last edited by BladeWoods (2019-07-27 16:40:37)

#16 2019-07-27 18:12:56

DarkDrak

As i suggested in another thread, which already got burried, smh,

jasonrohrer wrote:

I hear you about the maples.
Not sure there's a way I can fix that for you.

I believe that Coppicing could solve the problem. if tree stumps grew saplings after a while instead of straightout decaying, dealing with tree greifing would be way more manadgeble.

Youtube guide to Oil and Kerosene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKSZHPiUK6A
Youtube guide to Diesel Engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA&t=5s

World is not black and white

#17 2019-07-27 20:46:02

JackTreehorn

I like the Coppicing idea, it's the only way to keep it realistic and not have magical maple saplings spawning.
At the moment stumps disappear after one hour, which is unnecessary, wasteful and unrealistic.

It also takes at least 90 years for a maple tree to grow. Perhaps reducing it to one hour might make maple farming a bit more viable.

Regular saplings (not cuttings) don't really act like saplings either, shouldn't they grow into trees?
who ever heard of someone tilling their garden with a sapling? a branch would make more sense.

Last edited by JackTreehorn (2019-07-27 20:54:08)

Eve Audette

#18 2019-07-28 05:36:16

pein

Board footer