One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-01 16:44:16

Ari-ori-412

Dear jason, please stop being a stubborn a*hole

I know the title is rude but i cant care anymore, i may not be the most experienced player but i sure know that the community is a good part of all games.  I get it you can to make the game in your "vision" or what not but does that matter when no one wants your game?  The reviews have gone to mixed ever since the war sword and language updates.  And i stopped playing the game for a while because i was tired of being murdered all the time.  A few weeks go by and i look at the updates and discord to see whats up and then i see the limited lives update.  And i just give up all hope for the game like other people have said i dont want to pay 20$ for "lifetime server access" but i cant play because i got murdered as a baby (it happens to me alot).  And i hoped jason would at least TRY to incorporate some of the communities ideas. But nooooo only game devs have any idea whats going on!  Like seriously if your gonna flex do it in a.....i dont know less a*hole way? 

Anyways do your worst, i just wanted to rant haha.

--very concerned ex-player

Stop eating berries adults! go eat the pie or stew right next to you.

#2 2019-07-01 17:06:50

futurebird

Re: Dear jason, please stop being a stubborn a*hole

Have you tried playing since the limited lives update?

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#3 2019-07-01 17:10:25

RodneyC86

Ari-ori-412 wrote:

I know the title is rude but i cant care anymore, i may not be the most experienced player but i sure know that the community is a good part of all games.  I get it you can to make the game in your "vision" or what not but does that matter when no one wants your game?  The reviews have gone to mixed ever since the war sword and language updates.  And i stopped playing the game for a while because i was tired of being murdered all the time.  A few weeks go by and i look at the updates and discord to see whats up and then i see the limited lives update.  And i just give up all hope for the game like other people have said i dont want to pay 20$ for "lifetime server access" but i cant play because i got murdered as a baby (it happens to me alot).  And i hoped jason would at least TRY to incorporate some of the communities ideas. But nooooo only game devs have any idea whats going on!  Like seriously if your gonna flex do it in a.....i dont know less a*hole way? 

Anyways do your worst, i just wanted to rant haha.

--very concerned ex-player

I think you need to give it a chance. Really unless you have a weird play style and make it a point to die before 10 every time you won’t run out of lives.

Or maybe I’m just lucky to have 5 lives in a row now dying at 60 years old. Actually, 80 percent of my lives make it to elderly age of late. I think the sword issue is overblown . People just remember the massacres too well.

Or, that I am somehow the luckiest man in OHOL

Last edited by RodneyC86 (2019-07-01 17:11:19)

#4 2019-07-01 17:22:05

Jk Howling

Frankly, if you don't play more than 1-2 full lives a day, the limited lives really doesn't affect you whatsoever. Even if you play a dozen lives daily, it wouldn't affect you much. This is because you earn a life back every 20 minutes. That's 2-3 lives earned per full hour-long life. And it has a cap of 12.

Honestly, unless you die 10+ times in a row without a single long-lived life [in which case, I'm either going to call bullshit or think you're probably a bad player], it doesn't do much to affect gameplay.

That being said, I do wish Jason would be more open to ideas from the community. It sucks to see how his 'vision' utterly clouds his view of the actual game and how it's playing right now. He needs to step down from his mighty throne and put himself in the players' shoes, get a new perspective, and see the game from the POV of a player. Just because we don't have 15+ years of developing experience under our belts shouldn't mean our opinions and ideas are invalid.

Last edited by Jk Howling (2019-07-01 17:22:48)

-Has ascended to better games-

#5 2019-07-01 17:58:44

sigmen4020

I don't really think the limited lives update is much to get up in arms about especially with its current implementation. You'd have to die at an age below 20 at least 12 times in a row, and even then you only have to wait for max 20 minutes if you run out of lives. You can even still use /die to get to a family you want without much punishment, since once you get to that family you can get back 2 lives if you live a full hour life.

And when it comes to war swords I think it was a little dumb to have that update with the language one. Really just makes the whole (pretty interesting) language update completely moot, since every foreign family will be killed on sight at all times. IMO the only use for war swords is making backpacks not decay.

Having said that I don't say I agree with the way Jason is taking this game. I think that when he says that the game already has 2000+ items, which means that the "core" of the game needs to be solved more than the item pool I wholeheartedly disagree. Thing is that only a handful of all those items are being used on a daily basis. When is the last time you have seen pine panels, railcarts, domestic pigs and painted plaster walls for instance? Something like the radio has so many parts exclusively dedicated to that tech that would probably make up a significant amount of that item pool. And that's not to mention the inferior version of the radio that was released before it, which is just pointless content now. The radio is an advanced toy, and if I wanted to make a toy I'd rather make a rubber ball or dice tbh. Having made radios in the past, it's probably one of the more tedious things to make(the bulbs and the daniell cells contribute especially to this, mostly the cells).

Where's stuff like a stove so we don't have to make food like nachos, shrimp, etc. on hot coals even in most advanced towns. And stuff like a tractor to better automate farming in advanced towns. What about a radiator for indoor insulation so we don't need fires to maintain temp in larger buildings. There is so much stuff you could add that would make for a better experience in more advanced towns. But instead we keep getting small bug fixes, high tech toys (car, plane, radio, camera) and stuff like property fences, war swords and a scoreboard. I'd probably say that the last great update(Between that I think the pump overhaul update was amazing too, because it made kerosene actually matter) we got was the update that got us wool clothing. It might not be more insulating than say rabbit fur clothing, but it more than makes up for that by not decaying.

Point being; give us more meaningfull content Jason. I have not been one of the people that constantly mock you and your vision on various platforms (steam, discord and this forum), and I'm honestly beginning to get fed up too and I play the game a lot less than I usually do.

I fear that the most advanced useful tech will still be the diesel pump on the day the updates stop.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2019-07-01 18:14:53)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#6 2019-07-01 18:24:35

Guppy

How to make a dev stop interacting with his community.

Lesson 1: This

#7 2019-07-01 18:42:21

schmloo

The game is going through a bit of a rough patch. I agree that as a developer, Jason needs to pay far more attention to his community's suggestions and problems in order to get through this (or if not, hire someone who will). However, addressing your concern like this does not help anyone - in fact it pushes people away as it makes you look like an angry whiner.

Insert OHOL-related signature here

#8 2019-07-01 21:57:59

Amon

Right after the limited lives update living was ... near perfect. You only gained a life back after an hour. No dead babies, everything was a lil bit more peaceful, living was great.
Not that lives replenish every 20 minutes...which is way too much in my opinion, you'll practically never run out.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#9 2019-07-02 02:54:17

testo

Amon wrote:

Right after the limited lives update living was ... near perfect. You only gained a life back after an hour. No dead babies, everything was a lil bit more peaceful, living was great.
Not that lives replenish every 20 minutes...which is way too much in my opinion, you'll practically never run out.

My thoughts exaclty. Replenish rate is way too high, for me 12 lives +1 each hour was the best in terms of selectivity, you actually had it hard to /die and be picky about your camp/town/city. Having *3 lives/hour means you get 3 free times to select your game each time you play.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#10 2019-07-02 03:42:36

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, this stuff may be adjusted a bit more in the future.

#11 2019-07-02 04:45:18

Kitaelia

testo wrote:
Amon wrote:

My thoughts exaclty. Replenish rate is way too high, for me 12 lives +1 each hour was the best in terms of selectivity, you actually had it hard to /die and be picky about your camp/town/city. Having *3 lives/hour means you get 3 free times to select your game each time you play.

I agree completely! My lives have been so much better since the limited lives update!

And I also have mixed feelings about 1 life per 20 minutes. Too much wiggle room for choosing where to live.

Your OHOL Suggestions and ↑ or ↓'s are appreciated: OneLifeSuggestions Reddit
-Twitter- for Stream announcements & randomness!
-Twitch- to Hang out with me while I play!

#12 2019-07-02 07:16:41

JonySky
Website

testo wrote:
Amon wrote:

I think the same...
someone who dies 12 times in less than an hour is someone who is choosing where to be born ... and that for me is contrary to the game
I see no evil in committing suicide in a city where you do not feel like living, but more than 12 times in a row I see it exaggerated

#13 2019-07-02 09:01:48

Amon

The lower life limit replenish also helped dealing with griefers, not only the curses, so too were the gone lives another punishment.
The 20 minute replenish returned us to status quo on baby death from since before the eve debacle.
As we inch faster to family caring, abandonment and neonaticide will become less of an issue for new players. For the newlings I knew I had and I tought, they lived till 60, even the one on their very second life, but that won't be everyone...but it will improve as family caring improves.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#14 2019-07-03 07:04:42

BerrypickerAF

I see you're still in stage 2 of the grieving process: Anger

#15 2019-07-03 11:31:32

Toxic
Banned

The new updated is nice idk i might come back? Hopefully not as a griefer.... Datruff? ahh huhh.

#16 2019-07-03 22:38:20

ollj

Guppy wrote:

How to make a dev stop interacting with his community.
Lesson 1: This

purpose detected.

Board footer