One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-08 19:44:12

Spoonwood

Twitch Video From a First Time Player

I don't know what the OHOL tutorial is intended to achieve.  Knowing that would be nice.

However, whatever it is intended to achieve, I think this video has relevance to evaluating how good of a tool the OHOL tutorial is: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/434490808

It also should help more experienced, interested players with respect to how they can teach or help others.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2019-06-08 21:02:55

FeignedSanity

Re: Twitch Video From a First Time Player

I suppose even a broken clock is right twice a day. Thank you for this post. Really made me appreciate being a woman more (normally I just /die until I'm male). I supposed I'll live out my girl lives if I'm in the mood to teach people. Just to put this out there, when I do play as a woman, I'm the mom that always takes my children on a tour of the village and make sure they know where everything is; but I stopped asking if anyone was new because they'd always say no (even when I found them later trying to use bowls on the berry bushes or similar things). Now if anyone does say yes, I'll dedicate my life to educating them.

Also, great additions to my list of things I'll put in my version of OHOL. I'd appreciate more insightful posts like this from you in the future.

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#3 2019-06-09 01:22:07

wondible

I'm pretty sure that the tutorial is focused on user interface - how to eat, how to use clothes, screen lock, transition help system. I think the final challenge isn't really about a hatchet, it's learning how to learn work things out in general.

Beyond that, there wasn't even a tutorial when the game launched. You appeared in the world and had to figure things out or get taught. Now, the interface has been made more powerful/complex since then - you see some of the left/right confusion in the video, and I still get them crossed up a lot.

The video is a bit of an indirect critique of the tutorial though. Apparently she had trouble with it some time in the past, and video is coming in somewhat cold.

Generally though, I do get lazy about telling people to let me know if they are new. Then on the rare occasions I do get a new player, I keep getting interrupted by new kids. Every once and a while you get a willing student and some peace though.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#4 2019-06-09 01:42:04

lychee

It was good watch, thanks for sharing!

#5 2019-06-09 04:37:53

Spoonwood

wondible wrote:

I'm pretty sure that the tutorial is focused on user interface - how to eat, how to use clothes, screen lock, transition help system. I think the final challenge isn't really about a hatchet, it's learning how to learn work things out in general.

I've heard that the You Are Hope tutorial has an extra section where you can practice things like farming and cooking so that players are more likely to be useful to you as a player early on.  The OHOL tutorial also has an extra section for smithing.

If the video raises questions as to how the tutorial should work, because of how she plays, my posting it has served some purpose, so I'm happy with it.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#6 2019-06-09 13:36:00

pein

yeah the controls took me up to 10 hours to get used to
even after i died cause i misclicked, other than that forgetting to eat should be punishing

but that without tutorial

i feel like should be some sort of food tutorial too
like it teaches wild food, but it's not like is something they got to do, they can just run trough

maybe 8 brown bushes and one full and they should make a 2 bowls of berry to pass trough next room
i could imagine simple pottery and egg cooking as well

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#7 2019-06-09 22:28:11

mrbah

It was infuriating to watch her play, but all of her mistakes are absolutely understandable and ultimately show design flaws/beginner traps. Big issues. Player holding item does not realize what item they are holding, possibly a graphical UI segment would solve this.
Picking too much food and wasting it to get rid of held food. (?)
difference between soil in basket, soil in bowl, berry in basket, berry in bowl, water in bowl, water in bucket. honestly, watering a gooseberry bush with a bucket is something the engine could support with no problems, as I understand it.
Difference between items with similar functions sharp rock, flint stone, bow drill, bow.
Not being able to do a lot of actions while holding an item is the main source of clutter.

Honestly if there was a visual indicator showing what kind of object you are holding, along with a short decription of what it's useful for, the game would be easier to pick up.

One small note:
When you are clicking a cow, the first recipe is how to poison it. How is that useful, the first recipe should be how to feed it.

Last edited by mrbah (2019-06-10 06:17:15)

#8 2019-06-10 10:01:34

Sukallinen

Teaching tips (feel free to give me more/correct me):

-second game (twinning), BOTH should've done same thing, learn by doing, she didn't understand some parts and missed things done since sometimes when twin did work, she glimpsed other screen. I teach a lot, by both doing same thing she wouldn't have been so confused (oh, i help by slipping a berry or two to their bowls sometimes, never carrot though). AND get twice the stuff, and they get accomplishment feeling
-I always take full basket of pies when teaching further away (just say teach for baker will be angry otherwise), so they don't run all the time to berryfarm and back. Baker comes to see you're really teaching (with knife), don't worry, fastest way he goes away is continue teaching
-I tell people game gets bit more interesting but need to learn basics first
-when she did soil+water plants she did one at a time. I always need to tell to spread ALL soil, till ALL until they realize it is much more effective to do all berries/whatever at once
-i always say asking for help is ok nobody gets angry or hurt, worst is you lose a minute of your time

-i do the chain: I mean I teach do compost-spread soil(someone elses compost since I tell it takes time to cook)-hoe-seed(at least two different so they know the idea behind it)-water. Same with smithing, start from making coal, raw iron, they hit with round stone, then make crucibles, then make tool (they hit or bring 1-2, I show beforehand how), then get long shaft for tool
-always say keep an eye on your food, eat when down
-always say six berries (and right click if one extra, someone else uses that berry)

-never figured showing home marker is so important, I just usually say stay in town it's dangerous out there wink My thought behind this is there is no point going out until you know basic stuff
-I should say: talk more to ppl, admit you new in developed towns
-should say eat pie when down to X pips
-should think how to teach usage of backpack and pockets
-should recruit teacher when nearing my death, sometimes someone else has offered help when I say I die soon, gl HF (have fun)
-should start teaching smithing by making kindling maybe, but it requires trip outside of town to be useful so usually I skip that part... should figure efficient way to do this

ty Spoonwood.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Watched it, so I try very little short(er) version than two plus hours:

-Without all the help of chats she did learn: to soil+water bushes since mother showed her. I don't think anything else but someone told she's old go to berries. That's all. With twinning she learned (partly) making compost.

-she never realized to eat later, usually ate when one pip down, also ppl tried tell yumchain=not useful for newb
-half her time was used because of clutter, and you can hear it in her voice too (shouting at one point). Pick/drop all the time
-also carried tiny berry in hand and wondered why cannot pick up stuff

-tried eating tomato, dry corn etc repeatedly

-Also, she only figured out what mouse pointer shows is bottom of screen once someone told in chat-maybe should have a message about that in tutorial ?
-She never figured out how to use her backpack/others "properly", tough to teach by talking, kind of items disappeared there, chat told about egg

-she was frustrated b/c couldn't pick up soil from compost with bowl, idk why that mechanics is, same when couldn't use basket on berries

highlight the part when she says "I want to die" bit early on... ehh

Last edited by Sukallinen (2019-06-10 10:18:56)

Board footer