One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-31 05:08:40

futurebird

Two changes to help with Eve selection:

-You earn an Eve token by living to 60. You can earn one per day. They accumulate. If you are Eve your number of tokens resets to zero.
-In settings there is a box that says "play as Eve" if it's checked you will have a higher chance of being Eve if you have a token. No tokens no Eve. People with the most tokens have the highest probabilty of being Eve. But everyone with the box checked has a chance.
-You will only be Eve if the server needs one. If the number of families falls below some low number like 4.
-If you don't check the box you will NEVER be Eve. (why are we wasting Eve spawns on people who hate it?)
-Eves spawn 50 percent near other towns, 50 percent far from other towns to help provide variety in gameplay and to make the map more interesting.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#2 2019-05-31 05:43:17

DestinyCall

Re: Two changes to help with Eve selection:

I like these ideas.   Gives player a little more control while still keeping things random.

#3 2019-05-31 05:48:18

RodneyC86

I like that idea of 50 percent gets spawn near and 50 percent faraway

It's like Schroedinger's cat, but involve neighbouring towns.
It simultaneously exist and doesn't exist until you explore the area.

#4 2019-05-31 06:30:29

DestinyCall

Yup.   I like the idea that Eves have the potential to spawn farther away so they are not right on top of civilization.   And if the nearest town is far enough away from your spawn point, you might not even realize it is there until your descendants get horse carts and start to explore for iron.   

I want to have the possibility of neighboring villages, but I don't want to be constantly tripping over dead camps as a new Eve.

#5 2019-05-31 06:37:37

Spoonwood

futurebird wrote:

You will only be Eve if the server needs one. If the number of families falls below some low number like 4.

No, that should remain up to player discretion.

I like the other ideas, but if you think that Jason will implement any of these ideas, I think you are naive.  If your intent just lies in putting things forth for people on the forums to discuss, that's cool and all, but I just don't know your intent with these posts futurebird, and have consistently felt unsure about your intent.  Look, Jason said this recently:

jasonrohrer wrote:

So many people give me feedback about problems in OHOL in the forms of deeply-thought-out fixes.  Unless I'm explicitly requesting this kind of input, it's not that useful to me.

Going on...

1. You don't know the engine so it's unreasonable to consider that you might have something useful or worthwhile right off of the bat. 

2. It's NOT your game even though you paid money for it.  It doesn't matter one bit that you paid money, according to Jason, it's just not your game.  Your taste isn't useful to the designer despite you paying money for it, and despite art being worthless if no one ever sees it or hears it or interacts with it.  It's just not yours.  You can make a review on Steam or elsewhere or talk to people on the forums or on discord, but again, it's NOT your game.  You don't have a filter to feel out what should fit and what shouldn't, even if you have preferences and taste which do the same thing.  You don't have such a filter and can't, while Jason can have such.  Your taste doesn't matter at all, or it's clearly inferior in terms of consideration, even though YOU ARE THE CUSTOMER AND JASON IS THE DESIGNER.  Do you understand that?

3. You're not a game designer, and thus your opinion is not useful, it just doesn't matter.  Because arguments to authority are logical now I guess... despite every informal logic AND critical thinking textbook used by serious, accredited institutions warning people against questionable arguments to authority.  And despite philosophers and common people figuring out that some matters are subjective and depend on preference, of less formally, 'taste'. 

Heck, even the dedicated OHOL suggestions subreddit that Jason made isn't something that he only *occasionally* cares for:

jasonrohrer wrote:

Finally, there are some times when I'm really stuck on something and request ideas.  And that's what I use the Suggestions subreddit for---when I'm completely out of ideas, I look there for inspiration.

Think I exaggerate... well... you can read Jason for yourself again if you haven't already:

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6724

Anyways, if you meant this as a post for us to discuss the merits of such ideas, I do appreciate that, and you can ignore the suggestion that you are naive.

I think I like the ideas otherwise.  It would give players more control.  The last part about random spawning spots suggests that it might even might not be attractive to griefers... though being able to curse outside of one's lineage would make these have even more meaning, along with completely removing war swords.  And yes, I mean to say that THE WAR SWORD IS A PROBLEM, since in the hands of someone who can't get cursed, it's just a tool to kill people with only the threat of the griefer getting killed, which griefers don't care much about anyways... while they DID use to care about DonkeyTown.  At least BEFORE they could find their way back to their spot, which is now possible in Donkey Town, as I saw someone produce evidence of on discord.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-05-31 06:39:05)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#6 2019-05-31 11:26:44

futurebird

-I am a game designer (Not professional as of yet, but it's always been a passion)
-Which is why I enjoy thinking about how to address issues in a game and then seeing what the dev chooses to do
-Naturally I'm thrilled if Jason uses my suggestions but I really just like talking about these kinds of problems it's fun
-I'm totally baffled by your response to my post TBH. Going off on me about paying money? Did I say anything about "I paid money so..." No. I had to re-read my post to see if it came off as someone who thought paying 20 for a game gives them the right to order the dev around. It doesn't. It's a proposal. One Jason probably won't ever read and that's fine. I just like to think of ways to solve the problem and I like reading the solutions others come up with. It's fun. Jeeez.

---
omnem cibum costis

#7 2019-05-31 11:51:34

pein

the only problem i see is that you got mood to play, you will play
most people wont care just go in
now it's a difference  between main hours and off hours
also if you limit to age 60 then those eves generally will be able to stay alive

jason already said he will limit people in families to 15-20 people  (the only issue there is older infertile people and males somewhat)
so the current system im almost good
sure is bad that only 2 families are there, but if the outposts get fixed and 5-6 families with a cap of 20 people souunds good

i think still would be technology limited pop, so everyone can eve but if they don't progress they wouldn't go far
it might still be fun to some newbees to have a population of 5 with a guaranteed 2 girls all time

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2019-05-31 12:01:13

futurebird

pein wrote:

the only problem i see is that you got mood to play, you will play
most people wont care just go in
now it's a difference  between main hours and off hours
also if you limit to age 60 then those eves generally will be able to stay alive

jason already said he will limit people in families to 15-20 people  (the only issue there is older infertile people and males somewhat)
so the current system im almost good
sure is bad that only 2 families are there, but if the outposts get fixed and 5-6 families with a cap of 20 people souunds good

i think still would be technology limited pop, so everyone can eve but if they don't progress they wouldn't go far
it might still be fun to some newbees to have a population of 5 with a guaranteed 2 girls all time

I'm pretty happy about the 15-20 people limit too. Perhaps add this:

-The Eve box is default checked for new players (most won't mess with settings before playing)
-New players start the game with a gratis Eve token, so they have a chance too, and get more as they live to 60 more often.

---
omnem cibum costis

#9 2019-05-31 13:51:11

futurebird

OK Spoonwood I misread the tone of your response. Didn't detect the sarcasm.

I feel like you often derail constructive criticism by making it personal and that makes it unpleasant. Friendly "oh what if we tried this" posts turn in to "isn't Jason terrible." I don't like that. I think it's dysfunctional and, in the end, it makes it harder for us to work together to communicate and give feedback that will be helpful for the future of this game...

Constructive criticism and suggestions are good. Just having a hate party isn't going to help us get what we want or Jason choose for the 894309733 different options for fixing the issues in the game. Designing a game isn't easy and I think for the most part Jason has done a great job and is doing better with all of the complaints and suggestions coming at him selecting how to best use his time to keep the game growing in complexity and richness. 

And it's not like the game is in need of that much "fixing" IMO it's really good in many ways and that just makes me want to see it be better.

I'm not going to waste my time talking about a bad game with no future. I really wish you'd stop making these discussions about the imagined perceived personal failings of Jason. As I mentioned before *I DO* design games and I know it's not easy. Often your posts seem to imply that Jason isn't working hard or facing difficult choices.

Just look at the change to the number of Eves.... it's mostly been good, but it's had some bad consequences too. Every change has ramifications and introduces the possibility of bugs. Jason isn't withholding the changes you want or that I want out of "arrogance" or anything else you've accused him of. It just isn't as simple as you seem to think it is.

In other words that post you linked from Jason is *right* -- saying "get rid of the sword" isn't really the most helpful kind of feedback. And I'm sorry you dragged me in to this. But, since you have please just try to be more positive and please don't use my threads as a platform to continue your "jason is terrible" campaign. Let's talk about how cool this game is and how cool it can be without making it so... personal. OK?

---
omnem cibum costis

#10 2019-05-31 16:23:44

Spoonwood

Constructive criticism and suggestions are irrelevant for a person who has no interest in hearing such.  They are as effective for a person who won't listen as constructively criticizing a mule is.  It's not a 'hate party' to say that a person is some way.  It's pointing out their character and trying to make others aware of such.  Such stubbornness and refusal to listen to others can work well in some contexts... for example, you probably wouldn't want a manager to get too influenced by his or her employees (but customers is another matter).  But, it won't work for anyone trying to make a commercial product for people or trying to make art that changes over time, since both rely on other people who have different perspectives than the designer.

futurebird wrote:

Designing a game isn't easy and I think for the most part Jason has done a great job and is doing better with all of the complaints and suggestions coming at him selecting how to best use his time to keep the game growing in complexity and richness.

I don't think that the majority of updates have achieved that the goals Jason has put forth for the game.  He's said that he wants people to play for their lineages.  But, there exist many updates which did nothing in that regard and many that discouraged people from playing for the sake of their lineages.  If you think Jason is effective, I ask you to evaluate his goals and how many updates accord with those goals.

Also, there's so much red here: https://steamcharts.com/app/595690#All

futurebird wrote:

Just look at the change to the number of Eves.... it's mostly been good, but it's had some bad consequences too.

No, the change to the number of Eves is not good.  There is NO value in changing the number of Eves.  Those are just absolute numbers and would mean something entirely different if the game substantially grew.  2 Eves on a server with 4 people is different from 2 Eves on a server with 100 people and is even more different for a server with 600 people.... which could be a target that the game isn't in the ballpark of.  Even relative numbers such as the proportion of Eves compared to the number of players on a server doesn't have enough value, because it doesn't necessarily mean a better system where people can play as they like.  The only value of the recent change lay in making it harder to grief.  I would have hoped that the complaints about Eves got understood as complaints about griefing *by* Eves that only came to pass because of other recent changes such as not being able to curse outside of one's lineage and the new spawning system, but perhaps I'm naive to think that such came as obvious.

I want to say something again, because I really think this sort of clarity has value.  Absolute numbers don't mean enough.  A person who says that 9,999,999,999,999,999,999 is a large number in the abstract just doesn't understand numbers.  Similarly, there is NO value in changing the number of Eves.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-05-31 16:24:01)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#11 2019-05-31 18:30:40

pein

maybe select a time when you want to play
so the server knows the predicted player base
or auto adjust based on last day
you would get a token at that hour or not the best solution but would force you to select different hour when you got a chance to eve

now if we got 120 people 6 stabile families is good enough but each hour could be 2 more lines

now one issue is that too many people want to be eves and they ruin other towns
but the other issue is that some towns look bad
maybe those SID babies don't like that the place is ful lof garbage
now if i suicide and can rate the town , then others see the rating of towns
sure some newbees might try and enjoy it but chances are they wont  so there should be minimal consequencdes if people quit on your city
100 SID and max pop decreases by 1

the griefing eves are other problem
it's because they got no choice but take over a city or go far
i also don't like mixed families cause it's a planted disaster ready to blow off whenever a killer comes
some people don't like kills but it's still the logical way that you don't allow Eves and eve girl kids take over your city from within

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#12 2019-05-31 19:06:48

Amon

I've thought it might be good to need 3 50+ 60 lives to get to eve. Those that passionately wanna eve they DIE DIE DIE DIE and it might be interesting to get them to live live live for once haha.
Also it should not count to daily. For those that only play every so often.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#13 2019-05-31 20:49:34

MrChuckleteeth

Becoming eve and living to 60 should never go hand in hand.

This will only attract griefers and make your own survival more important to anyone that wants to become Eve. Which is NOT the point of this game.

Bad idea, next.

#14 2019-05-31 21:22:46

Friendly Isopod

MrChuckleteeth wrote:

This will only attract griefers and make your own survival more important to anyone that wants to become Eve. Which is NOT the point of this game.

Bad idea, next.

What if you got Eve tokens based on how many of your kids lived to 30? With males, maybe how many of your sister's kids.

#15 2019-05-31 21:43:16

futurebird

MrChuckleteeth wrote:

This will only attract griefers

Why do you think so?

---
omnem cibum costis

#16 2019-06-01 01:09:53

pein

i mean if we get pop limit then people will suicide or kill others to get baby girls so nothing is perfect, i just suggested that one cause by my experience, there arent many things to do, like say you got 2-3 decent people who work hard and some newbees and then mid skill lazy rpers, and when you got more pop the first ones suicide the second ones arent taken care of and the third category is the norm so everythign looks bad

with a few people you can just as well gather resources and keep it going
if we got 1000 eves per day some good families are doomed cause the randomness, so you should always be able to keep a line going but mistakes like laziness and lack of skill could and  should be punished

#17 2019-06-01 03:47:31

pedrito confesiones

you get diabetes for being afk or wasting food and you die
lol

CoNtEnT

Bottom text

Board footer